Private Schools

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:30 pm

BadgerBob82 wrote:MSHSL rules for sports should be very simple. If the student doesn't reside within the transportation boundary for the school, they can't play sports.

In other words, a student that drives 40-50 miles to attend a school is not eligible to play sports. Attend whatever school you want for academic reasons, but sports are not included. For the privates this would mean you can't play sports for Hill-Murray if you live in Wisconsin but you can if you live in Woodbury.

The more complex the rules, the more bending and breaking of the rules.
So because my son wants a better academic environment = higher test scores and grades = a more prestigious diploma = a better college and med/law/grad school.... He shouldn't be allowed to play hockey? Or soccer? What about band? Can be be on student council?

It's posts like this that make me feel pity. Not that you can't afford to send your kid to a private or that he's not good enough to play there, but that you are so envious that it colors your sense of REASON. I can't even read this thread anymore.
Not a huge fan of the MSHSL, but extremely thankful close minded selfish jealous dads like you and the haters on this board aren't pushing policy for my kid.
Of course privates have some advantages over publics - but it sure isn't limited to or remotely centered on HOCKEY. But bitching about the have have nots is a centuries old political conversation that does not specifically address or encompass Minnesota hockey, however much you'd like to stretch it.

I pay x amount of dollars for my son to go to a private. He gets x amount in needs based scholarship. If the high school two miles away had anything even close to comparable academics, I'd save the driving and money and send him there! The hockey team at our public school is arguably better most years than his private. Please get the classroom size down to less than 40, the test scores and college placements up substantially, get a gym or arts class more than once a week, increase the course offerings at the higher levels and offer enough to go around, and don't let your admin placate me with PSEO and online options when they can't offer the maths and APs my kid needs to get in to the college he wants. Make your school better.
Then come on this forum and tell me I'm a traitor and don't support my community because the PUBLIC SCHOOL I moved here for in the first place has fallen so rapidly in 4 years that my wife and I spend every cent we have on private school tuition we never planned for. Tell me we moved for hockey when there were 45 kids in most of his 8th grade classes. Tell me my priorities are f'd up because I've never known a single kid get into the Ivy my kid wants to go to, in fact no Ivy admissions in four years.
Don't you dare tell me that I "used" the association I volunteered hundreds of hours at during my son's time there (including the board) to develop my kids talent just to leave for a private.

The crappy public school forced our hand.
And believe it or not, hater, he would have transferred hockey or no hockey.

Some public schools are great in athletics and academics. Some kids transfer only for hockey. Some parents are crazy. Most public school teachers participate in ongoing and updated training, but their hands (and abilities) are tied to the policies and leadership of the school.

But don't judge what you don't know. The fact that I took the time to justify our decision to you sickens me almost as much as the fact that you will read this and not see yourself in it.

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:24 pm

First, "Never", nice post. It was well thought out & full of passion.
Secondly, I may be missing something here. How many private schools are in the AA field this year? How many private schools have a shot at winning a State title? Why is this still a topic right now?

It's Tourney week people. Time to see old friends, watch kids proudly support their schools, see players create memories that will last a lifetime, and just experience one of the best sporting events of it's kind. Let's put differences aside for 1 week and remember we all have a common bond & that is the love of game of hockey!

4chex

Post by 4chex » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:25 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
BadgerBob82 wrote:MSHSL rules for sports should be very simple. If the student doesn't reside within the transportation boundary for the school, they can't play sports.

In other words, a student that drives 40-50 miles to attend a school is not eligible to play sports. Attend whatever school you want for academic reasons, but sports are not included. For the privates this would mean you can't play sports for Hill-Murray if you live in Wisconsin but you can if you live in Woodbury.

So because my son wants a better academic environment = higher test scores and grades = a more prestigious diploma = a better college and med/law/grad school.... He shouldn't be allowed to play hockey? Or soccer? What about band? Can be be on student council?

It's posts like this that make me feel pity. Not that you can't afford to send your kid to a private or that he's not good enough to play there, but that you are so envious that it colors your sense of REASON. I can't even read this thread anymore.
Not a huge fan of the MSHSL, but extremely thankful close minded selfish jealous dads like you and the haters on this board aren't pushing policy for my kid.
Of course privates have some advantages over publics - but it sure isn't limited to or remotely centered on HOCKEY. But bitching about the have have nots is a centuries old political conversation that does not specifically address or encompass Minnesota hockey, however much you'd like to stretch it.

I pay x amount of dollars for my son to go to a private. He gets x amount in needs based scholarship. If the high school two miles away had anything even close to comparable academics, I'd save the driving and money and send him there! The hockey team at our public school is arguably better most years than his private. Please get the classroom size down to less than 40, the test scores and college placements up substantially, get a gym or arts class more than once a week, increase the course offerings at the higher levels and offer enough to go around, and don't let your admin placate me with PSEO and online options when they can't offer the maths and APs my kid needs to get in to the college he wants. Make your school better.
Then come on this forum and tell me I'm a traitor and don't support my community because the PUBLIC SCHOOL I moved here for in the first place has fallen so rapidly in 4 years that my wife and I spend every cent we have on private school tuition we never planned for. Tell me we moved for hockey when there were 45 kids in most of his 8th grade classes. Tell me my priorities are f'd up because I've never known a single kid get into the Ivy my kid wants to go to, in fact no Ivy admissions in four years.
Don't you dare tell me that I "used" the association I volunteered hundreds of hours at during my son's time there (including the board) to develop my kids talent just to leave for a private.

Some public schools are great in athletics and academics. Some kids transfer only for hockey. Some parents are crazy. Most public school teachers participate in ongoing and updated training, but their hands (and abilities) are tied to the policies and leadership of the school.

But don't judge what you don't know. The fact that I took the time to justify our decision to you sickens me almost as much as the fact that you will read this and not see yourself in it.
Great post. You're absolutely right, you shouldn't have to explain yourself but the fact of the matter is, you can only read so much of these misinformed posts. The decision was yours and no one else's for your own reasons. Damn you for making a decision to better your family, no matter what the circumstances were!! =D> =D> =D> =D>

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:34 pm

mnmouth wrote:That is exactly my point: most public schools are engaging in teacher development precisely to stay ahead of the curve. As a former general ed and special ed teacher, I saw and participated firsthand in these activities. Principals are constantly forwarding websites, videos, literature, etc. to their staffs on how to improve the classroom setting. It is ridiculous and condescending of you to blanket claim that a community/public school takes no responsibility in making it a destination for incoming students. Are you informed on the many reasons why teachers attend these developmental meetings??

I don't know who is claiming a 'woe is me' attitude, but it certainly isn't me. And go back and read my post. I never stated that a $10-20k price tag is an advantage, but I did state that it is not a disadvantage for those families that can afford a private school education for their kids.
I hope you are honestly not understanding the full magnitude of what I am getting at and not simply trying to put words in my mouth.

Basically, I was saying what Nevertoomuchhockey said, but without giving specifics, as there are too many to cite. I know, for example, many people with ADD who have chosen private options because the were personally helped much better than the public school they transferred from. Many situations where one child goes private and others public.

And it's not public school bashing by any means. As Nevertoomuchhockey pointed out, often their hands are tied. My main point is that much of the athletic "advantages" specific schools have are things other schools could have but have chosen not to invest their energy/money into it. And in many cases, it may be better for the community. I can't say that building a hockey rink on campus, for example, is a worth while community financial investment. But if momentary/time costs of traveling to a rink, for example, are a reason to go somewhere else, maybe a different public school, then who's to judge.

And it goes both ways, many leave (or don't attend) private schools for many of the same types of reasons. Private schools often have to specialize, or at least be selective, with their resources. There are many private schools around the metro, for example that only offer a couple winter sports.

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:52 pm

4chex wrote:

Great post. You're absolutely right, you shouldn't have to explain yourself but the fact of the matter is, you can only read so much of these misinformed posts. The decision was yours and no one else's for your own reasons. Damn you for making a decision to better your family, no matter what the circumstances were!! =D> =D> =D> =D>
In our case the public school is very, very good. In most ways just as good as the private we moved to. Hockey doesn't enter into the discussion as my son is not likely to make the team at either school. What we did get was a school that cares about EVERY student. The public cares about the kids at the high end and the low end academically and the trouble makers, those in the middle get no time. My kid is smart, but was under-performing at the public. We talked to counselors, vice principals, teachers, etc. they couldn't figure out why we were concerned because he wasn't failing. At the private the counselor worked with him, he took a "Learning Lab" to improve study skills and he's improving his grades and habits. Maybe he would have come around on his own at the public, but it was sure nice having someone at school who clearly cared and had time for him.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:59 pm

Someone is in a bad mood.

defense

Post by defense » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Hockey, academics, basketball, bullying, special needs.... bottom line is, when you yourself have a child, you and your partner assuming there are two parents involved, are the ones who have to make a decision that is best for your situation. When you are looking at a child who you are raising, the only thing that matters in these types of decisions is between you or yourselves and your child. No one else, not the pride of the local school etc. If you feel it is best for your child to use the services of a private institution for athletics, academics, whatever..you should not need to apologize to anyone.
My two sons will stay in the local public schools far as I can see right now, and I graduated public school, as a disclaimer.

SouthernMinnFan

Post by SouthernMinnFan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:16 pm

If your kid was having problems with ADD or his learning environment why didn't you send him to Achiever Academy?

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:16 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:Basically, I was saying what Nevertoomuchhockey said, but without giving specifics, as there are too many to cite. I know, for example, many people with ADD who have chosen private options because the were personally helped much better than the public school they transferred from. Many situations where one child goes private and others public.

And it's not public school bashing by any means. As Nevertoomuchhockey pointed out, often their hands are tied. My main point is that much of the athletic "advantages" specific schools have are things other schools could have but have chosen not to invest their energy/money into it. And in many cases, it may be better for the community. I can't say that building a hockey rink on campus, for example, is a worth while community financial investment. But if momentary/time costs of traveling to a rink, for example, are a reason to go somewhere else, maybe a different public school, then who's to judge.

And it goes both ways, many leave (or don't attend) private schools for many of the same types of reasons. Private schools often have to specialize, or at least be selective, with their resources. There are many private schools around the metro, for example that only offer a couple winter sports.
Well-stated. I agree with this post.

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:26 pm

defense wrote:Hockey, academics, basketball, bullying, special needs.... bottom line is, when you yourself have a child, you and your partner assuming there are two parents involved, are the ones who have to make a decision that is best for your situation. When you are looking at a child who you are raising, the only thing that matters in these types of decisions is between you or yourselves and your child. No one else, not the pride of the local school etc. If you feel it is best for your child to use the services of a private institution for athletics, academics, whatever..you should not need to apologize to anyone.
My two sons will stay in the local public schools far as I can see right now, and I graduated public school, as a disclaimer.
This is not a black/white issue, where being on one side of the argument means that you automatically support the most extreme arguments on that side. There's lots of gray, as shown by this comment.

It's hard to argue that parents don't have an obligation to do what they think is in the best interests of the child. If you aren't advocating for your child, then who is? Now, there might be some disagreement on whether or not a parent is making a good (or the best) decision for their child when they send them to a private school, but you can disagree on parenting styles without disagreeing with the idea that every parent has the right to do what they think is best.

On the other side, I would hope that those who are defending their decisions to send their kids to private school can at least understand why some parents within the community hockey organization that they are leaving behind would be upset. You can understand the reasoning, even if you don't agree with the reasoning, right?

[/i]

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:29 pm

Academics or sports. PERIOD.

Enough of this student-athlete crap. Pick one already.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

Wildcathcky

Post by Wildcathcky » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:40 pm

DrGaf wrote:Academics or sports. PERIOD.

Enough of this student-athlete crap. Pick one already.
Are you suggesting that high schools shouldn't offer sports? That seems to be the only way to break what you described as the "student-athlete" crap.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:40 pm

We should put all the private school programs in one section to make sure they have fair representation at the tournament.. Equal rights, don't ya know..

O:)

defense

Post by defense » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:46 pm

almostashappy wrote:
defense wrote:Hockey, academics, basketball, bullying, special needs.... bottom line is, when you yourself have a child, you and your partner assuming there are two parents involved, are the ones who have to make a decision that is best for your situation. When you are looking at a child who you are raising, the only thing that matters in these types of decisions is between you or yourselves and your child. No one else, not the pride of the local school etc. If you feel it is best for your child to use the services of a private institution for athletics, academics, whatever..you should not need to apologize to anyone.
This is not a black/white issue, where being on one side of the argument means that you automatically support the most extreme arguments on that side. There's lots of gray, as shown by this comment.

It's hard to argue that parents don't have an obligation to do what they think is in the best interests of the child. If you aren't advocating for your child, then who is? Now, there might be some disagreement on whether or not a parent is making a good (or the best) decision for their child when they send them to a private school, but you can disagree on parenting styles without disagreeing with the idea that every parent has the right to do what they think is best.

On the other side, I would hope that those who are defending their decisions to send their kids to private school can at least understand why some parents within the community hockey organization that they are leaving behind would be upset. You can understand the reasoning, even if you don't agree with the reasoning, right?

[/i]
I totally understand if people get upset. But, in my opinion that would be their issue, not the parents or the child who chose to leave. I said as much to a former coach of mine who would've bleed for the local program but saw it necessary to put his son in a neighboring program.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:28 pm

almostashappy wrote:On the other side, I would hope that those who are defending their decisions to send their kids to private school can at least understand why some parents within the community hockey organization that they are leaving behind would be upset. You can understand the reasoning, even if you don't agree with the reasoning, right?
Upset, yes. Totally, in fact. Upset at the people leaving, no.

Assuming your kid is on the same team with them and you know them a little and why they are making their choice, I would think you'd understand why they are making that choice.
You may not agree, but understanding and agreeing are not the same thing.

If you are some random third party, sure I can understand that you would be upset about it. But I would think the frustration should be taken out on finding out why, not on blaming people.

HockeyTalk18

Post by HockeyTalk18 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:08 pm

reminds me of many years ago I was in the Lineman field (climbing poles), it was different Unions between the contracting side and the power company side, agreements had to be signed if you went through the contracting side that you could NOT work for the power company for X amount of years (they were not going to train you just so you could leave and work for the power company that didn't have to invest in you, but still get the reward) maybe this private vs public deal we face is very much the same, the privates seem to be getting kids who they did not invest in like the community that they came from did? has anyone on this board heard of a private helping out the community based program? with training? Money? volunteers? I'll bet not very often if ever..why would they? it's not in their best interest?. who knows..but something to think about?

blindref

Post by blindref » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:52 pm

Um
He can play jv immediately.
I don't know what public school district that you live in but I know three
kids who graduated for my son's public school that were accepted into
Harvard, Yale and the third one is now a surgeon.
It's all what your kid makes out if his own situation.
Good luck to your son and your family.

Cadets16

Post by Cadets16 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:20 pm

blindref wrote:I don't know what public school district that you live in but I know three kids who graduated for my son's public school that were accepted into Harvard, Yale and the third one is now a surgeon.
3 out of a class of what? 1500? 2000? Private schools academically send more than that from classes of less than 500. Your odds at an Ivy school are much better if you attend a private high school.

Also, for a school like STA, some students merely attend to increase their chances at being appointed to a service academy such as West Point. I'm not sure if anybody knows this, but sports are a crucial element in a service academy application. Restricting the ability of them to compete in athletics because of the choices they made for their future just isn't right.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:32 pm

Cadets16 wrote:
blindref wrote:I don't know what public school district that you live in but I know three kids who graduated for my son's public school that were accepted into Harvard, Yale and the third one is now a surgeon.
3 out of a class of what? 1500? 2000? Private schools academically send more than that from classes of less than 500. Your odds at an Ivy school are much better if you attend a private high school.

Also, for a school like STA, some students merely attend to increase their chances at being appointed to a service academy such as West Point. I'm not sure if anybody knows this, but sports are a crucial element in a service academy application. Restricting the ability of them to compete in athletics because of the choices they made for their future just isn't right.
So are "campaign contributions" :wink:

blindref

Post by blindref » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:39 pm

Cadets16 wrote:

The graduating classes is usually around 325 kids.

All schools have strengths and weaknesses, it's too bad Never's son can't state his legitimate case to transfer and play at his new school.

Others pretend to move in with Grandma or in a rental to teach their kids
that bending the rules will always be ok for them because they are special.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:46 pm

blindref wrote:
Cadets16 wrote:

All schools have strengths and weaknesses, it's too bad Never's son can't state his legitimate case to transfer and play at his new school.

It's one of the "life lessons" that hockey teaches ! :lol: :lol:

upnorthfan

Post by upnorthfan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:13 pm

I agree with the post that all private schools should be in one section and they can send their best to the state tourney. I certainly understand that there are public schools that you may not want to send your child to and there are academic advantages to private schools, but their are also athletic advantages and many go the private route for that reason. There is an obvious advantage athletically for private schools. This year is really an anomaly.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:36 pm

blindref wrote:
Cadets16 wrote:

We did our due diligence early on (like I am now for my daughter) and he entered his private in ninth grade.

Marty

Post by Marty » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:47 pm

Our kids play association sports with kids that attended private grade school and were heading to a private high school no matter how good they were in sports.

MN public HS are solid and most offer advanced programs, quite a few exceed the best private schools in academic achievement.

Many public schools offer the specialists that private schools lack, thus must absorb difficult, high cost students into their schools. This is a good thing for society.

Drugs, promiscuity and other not so good behavior is as prevalent in the private schools as public. In fact some of the programs developed in the private schools have been rolled out into neighboring public schools and visa versa. The only difference in drug use between public and private is the kids in private school are more able to afford them.

The rules in-place now reduce (not totally prevent) moving back and forth on a yearly basis. That is a good thing. Recruiting occurs - has for 50 years or more across many HS sports ... but once the 9th grade decision is made ...

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:07 pm

There are as many reasons for choosing private schools as there are kids in attendance. Unfortunately the "bad apples" often ruin a good thing for the well intentioned people.