#2Hermantown (22-4-2) vs Luverne (27-0-1) 11am

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

who ya got?

Hermantown
71%
Luverne
29%

Total votes: 100

statein07

Post by statein07 »

interesting isn't it, the last team to enter the state tournament undefeated was hermantown and had a decent chance of winning until their goaltending ran out of luck to a very good sta team, the last team to go undefeated was hermantown ;) now we come full circle to 2014 where luvern is undefeated and plays no other team than the hawks... i like a good story like luvern but i don't think they have much of chance here :/ personally i really wanted them to be the 4th seed and play either scc or chisago lakes, that would make for an intriguing game, this however smells of a blowout but hopefully 4-1 hawks in a hardfought battle for luverne...or it will be 9-0 because plante won't let the hawks run it up too bad, if egf loses it's htowns tourney to lose
Cootslayer

27-2-1 is nothing to hang your head about.

Post by Cootslayer »

notTONIGHT wrote:I think people love to hate Luverne because some of us dont take this board like its a religious venue. Sometimes having a little fun is good for the group.

And I know Luverne doesnt have any banners to hang......yet :lol:
Pssst... You earned the right to hang a banner when you won the section.

Too bad they don't still give out those big red sportsmanship banners too. :wink:
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Go Cards !

Nice to see a different program in the tourney.
Doginthefight

Post by Doginthefight »

MrGoalieBoy wrote:
StanleyYelnats wrote:And I forgot to add. Roseau South.?? Let's pretend that was never posted. A real dynasty is 7 Banners and some in AA. Luverne, reality check. THIS IS 3A BOYS! :lol:
Very well said. I follow southern MN hockey and for 3A, Luverne is far ahead of everyone else IMO.
I've lived in Roseau. I've lived in Luverne. The Roseau dynasty and northern dominance in hockey has been powerful. But at some point things will likely turn from north to south. The south has always dominated in so many sports [basketball, football, baseball]. Maybe this isn't the time for things to change, but maybe it is... And if Luverne is a cog in that change, it would help cement their role for a long time. Give it all you've got, and if it's time, it's time!
Doginthefight

Post by Doginthefight »

Air Force 1 wrote:
ShaymusOToole wrote: I think everyone outside of Hermantown is cheering for Luverne. Would be nice to see a 3A team have some success
Ah...I don't think so. I hope Hermantown wins, big. I would say that MOST outside of Section 3A are hoping Hermantown shows the Luverne peanut gallery and Section 3A what the top of Class A is about. The cupcakes are gonna catch up to the Cardinals.
Ok, cowboy bob, let's see what happens. Just what is a peanut gallery, anyway? That's a pretty dated reference. Maybe that matches your opinion that most are hoping for Hermantown. Not too many people outside of your little suburb would feel bad if Herman and the Munsters fell down in this one.
Air Force 1

Post by Air Force 1 »

Doginthefight wrote:
Air Force 1 wrote:
ShaymusOToole wrote: I think everyone outside of Hermantown is cheering for Luverne. Would be nice to see a 3A team have some success
Ah...I don't think so. I hope Hermantown wins, big. I would say that MOST outside of Section 3A are hoping Hermantown shows the Luverne peanut gallery and Section 3A what the top of Class A is about. The cupcakes are gonna catch up to the Cardinals.
Ok, cowboy bob, let's see what happens. Just what is a peanut gallery, anyway? That's a pretty dated reference. Maybe that matches your opinion that most are hoping for Hermantown. Not too many people outside of your little suburb would feel bad if Herman and the Munsters fell down in this one.
Reminds me a lot of the Park Rapids fans a few years back. The Panthers were 18-0-0 and cruising along. They had made it through the toughest part of their schedule and were complaining they were not getting the respect they deserved in the polls or the conversation of being a top team in the state. A LOT of complaining. All they had to do was win out against the lower part of the section and probably #1 or #2 seed in sections. A middling Kittson Central comes into the Ted Johnson Ice Arena and upsets the vaunted Panthers who then also dropped their next game to Detroit Lakes I believe. Park Rapids went on to a #4 seed in the section tournament and were destroyed by #6 EGF that year in the section tournament.

Be humble, be proud, don't be scared to be the unknown team, the best kept secret of the class. It makes the Cinderella tag more exciting and an even bigger story. The constant complaining in light of facts turns some people, like me, off. Next year the Cards need to load up the bus, play some metro area Class A clubs like Totino, Orono, Mahtomedi, go up to St Cloud Cathedral, spend a weekend in Duluth playing Marshall and Denfeld, tour the Iron Range and drop in on Hibbing and Virgina, or just head north and visit EGF, TRF, and/or Warroad. Yeah, they won't be easy wins like Redwood Falls and Windom Area but you will play the competition that will test your team and make them better.
Grocery_Stick

Post by Grocery_Stick »

Air Force 1 wrote:
Doginthefight wrote:
Air Force 1 wrote: Ah...I don't think so. I hope Hermantown wins, big. I would say that MOST outside of Section 3A are hoping Hermantown shows the Luverne peanut gallery and Section 3A what the top of Class A is about. The cupcakes are gonna catch up to the Cardinals.
Reminds me a lot of the Park Rapids fans a few years back. The Panthers were 18-0-0 and cruising along. They had made it through the toughest part of their schedule and were complaining they were not getting the respect they deserved in the polls or the conversation of being a top team in the state. A LOT of complaining. All they had to do was win out against the lower part of the section and probably #1 or #2 seed in sections. A middling Kittson Central comes into the Ted Johnson Ice Arena and upsets the vaunted Panthers who then also dropped their next game to Detroit Lakes I believe. Park Rapids went on to a #4 seed in the section tournament and were destroyed by #6 EGF that year in the section tournament.

Be humble, be proud, don't be scared to be the unknown team, the best kept secret of the class. It makes the Cinderella tag more exciting and an even bigger story. The constant complaining in light of facts turns some people, like me, off. Next year the Cards need to load up the bus, play some metro area Class A clubs like Totino, Orono, Mahtomedi, go up to St Cloud Cathedral, spend a weekend in Duluth playing Marshall and Denfeld, tour the Iron Range and drop in on Hibbing and Virgina, or just head north and visit EGF, TRF, and/or Warroad. Yeah, they won't be easy wins like Redwood Falls and Windom Area but you will play the competition that will test your team and make them better.
The problem with all of those teams isn't that Luvurne doesn't want to play them (I'm assuming, I have nothing to do with it). A problem is that none of the better teams will schedule anyone in 3A. They have lagged behind for many years and now when they are starting to put together decent clubs in the Southwest corner they're getting almost less respect than before. I feel it will be an okay game but give it to Hermantown 6-3, prove me wrong Luvurne.
defense

Post by defense »

Question for Luverne people: Is this upswing going to be sustained for a couple years or is this THE group? my question is deeper than just who is on the HS team right now, how is the future of hockey in the area? particularly Luverne? I'm sure this has been covered in the past, but if you would please..
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

As a person from outside the 3A area, I can say that the reason Luverne caught my attention was from watching their PeeWee and Bantam teams last year and this year. PeeWees went to state (I think?) and both teams were right in it this year. Lost in semi finals to go to state. Seems like a few good years at least to come? The younger teams do not play 3A only as most of those teams do not field 'A' level teams. These guys TRAVEL! Hope this puts their program on the map and gets some better teams to schedule them. I understand the girls HS team has been in the finals of section play for many years in a row.... losing to..... New Ulm. Good luck Luverne!
RRubberbeeskit

Is there a Sioux Falls player influx to Luverne?

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

I was doing a little Google research on Luverne hockey to find out a bit about the area. I came across some youth hockey board meeting minutes that stated I believe from 2008 and 2009 that 3 players from Sioux Falls wanted to play in the Luverne program at a lower level in 2008 and 3 wanted to play there in 2009. With this being the case are these players now playing on the High School team?
fastncrash

Re: Is there a Sioux Falls player influx to Luverne?

Post by fastncrash »

RRubberbeeskit wrote:I was doing a little Google research on Luverne hockey to find out a bit about the area. I came across some youth hockey board meeting minutes that stated I believe from 2008 and 2009 that 3 players from Sioux Falls wanted to play in the Luverne program at a lower level in 2008 and 3 wanted to play there in 2009. With this being the case are these players now playing on the High School team?
ALL of the current LHS team is Born or Raised local, no recruiting. Ironically enough, a VERY nice player considered it a few years back, but chose a VERY Historically strong program to move to... Sorta blew up in his face as he's sitting home now, and the CARDS are Rolling!

Team just left town. See attached link to the video:

https://www.facebook.com/renee.sudenga
Last edited by fastncrash on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

RRubberbeeskit wrote:I was doing a little Google research on Luverne hockey to find out a bit about the area. I came across some youth hockey board meeting minutes that stated I believe from 2008 and 2009 that 3 players from Sioux Falls wanted to play in the Luverne program at a lower level in 2008 and 3 wanted to play there in 2009. With this being the case are these players now playing on the High School team?
There is only one kid not "from" Luverne on this team. He is from Adrian, which is fifteen minutes away on i90. He played youth hockey in luverne all the way along with his siblings.

Luverne is a true definition of what class A hockey is about IMO.

Also, I have never seen the Luverne community get swept off its feet by something like this hockey team has. Luverne has had an excellent football program for many years. Also had some basketball success in the last decade. This just seems different. The state of hockey has finally grasped this part of the state. The send off this morning was out of this world, and people can't get enough of Roll Cards Roll!
12thgraders

Post by 12thgraders »

defense wrote:Question for Luverne people: Is this upswing going to be sustained for a couple years or is this THE group? my question is deeper than just who is on the HS team right now, how is the future of hockey in the area? particularly Luverne? I'm sure this has been covered in the past, but if you would please..
This is a great question! If this is the new norm for Luverne, it would be tough for other programs to not schedule them. Who wouldn't want a State qualifier on their schedule?

Luverne faithful, look into the Stadstad Holiday tournament in Grand Forks. The best teams in ND plus a few middle of the pack teams from Minnesota. And it is for a great cause!
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

notTONIGHT wrote:
There is only one kid not "from" Luverne on this team. He is from Adrian, which is fifteen minutes away on i90. He played youth hockey in luverne all the way along with his siblings.

Also, I have never seen the Luverne community get swept off its feet by something like this hockey team has. Luverne has had an excellent football program for many years. Also had some basketball success in the last decade. This just seems different. The state of hockey has finally grasped this part of the state. The send off this morning was out of this world, and people can't get enough of Roll Cards Roll!
notTonight: I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit jealous of the Cardinals and their success. 60 + wins in the last 3 years and a trip to the X what more could anyone ask for. Maybe to knock off the Hawks and a state championship.
Best of luck to the Cardinals! I hope to see you Friday at the X.
Roll Cards Roll from Otter Country!
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

http://www.minnesotahockey.org/page/sho ... am-a-south

http://www.minnesotahockey.org/page/sho ... ee-a-south

REGIONALS from last week... FYI.

Also, all the Grandios schemes of Scheduling Games/Tourneys all over the Continent... all STILL basically boil down to $'s and what the programs can afford. Sorry to burst all your bubbles.

OH, and YES, PeeWee A's last year went to State, with 9 skaters and a single Goalie.
Can't skate

Post by Can't skate »

Hope the Cards do well. Just remember you are the 2nd team from the SWC. That group of rag tags from Marshall went last year and had a pretty good showing considering the talent they had.
SouthernMinnFan

Post by SouthernMinnFan »

luverne has a handful of bantams that will be good additions to the high school. Losing players like Frakes will hurt however and depending on if Toby and co. decide to stick around or choose to leave for juniors will determine the type of team they roll out next year. The program is really growing down there but if some of those players have a chance at the USHL they should seriously consider it. As much as you want your team to keep all of your players you have to think what might be best for their development and if they move on to USHL young and develop into Div 1 talent, thats good for your program as well.
HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower »

[quote="SouthernMinnFan"]luverne has a handful of bantams that will be good additions to the high school. Losing players like Frakes will hurt however and depending on if Toby and co. decide to stick around or choose to leave for juniors will determine the type of team they roll out next year. The program is really growing down there but if some of those players have a chance at the USHL they should seriously consider it. As much as you want your team to keep all of your players you have to think what might be best for their development and if they move on

Here is the link to Luvernes Bantam A results

http://myhockeyrankings.com/team_info.php?y=2013&t=9656
HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower »

HawkeyPower wrote:
SouthernMinnFan wrote:luverne has a handful of bantams that will be good additions to the high school. Losing players like Frakes will hurt however and depending on if Toby and co. decide to stick around or choose to leave for juniors will determine the type of team they roll out next year. The program is really growing down there but if some of those players have a chance at the USHL they should seriously consider it. As much as you want your team to keep all of your players you have to think what might be best for their development and if they move on

Here is the link to Luvernes Bantam A results

http://myhockeyrankings.com/team_info.php?y=2013&t=9656
Peewwee A results

http://myhockeyrankings.com/team_info.php?y=2013&t=5235
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

With all that Junior/D1 talent on the Luverne team, looks like Hermantown is going to have their hands full!
defense

Post by defense »

Thank you Hawkey, for the links. Good info, teams look competitive anyway. If that was all of their games though, that is the next place to improve. The peewee and bantams should schedule more contests.
Looks like there is a decent beginning here.
How are the player numbers like?
Last edited by defense on Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

notTONIGHT wrote:

notTonight: I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit jealous of the Cardinals and their success. 60 + wins in the last 3 years and a trip to the X what more could anyone ask for. Maybe to knock off the Hawks and a state championship.
Best of luck to the Cardinals! I hope to see you Friday at the X.
Roll Cards Roll from Otter Country!
HockeyBum

Post by HockeyBum »

Good luck to both teams. Hope all of the fans represent there programs with great sportsmanship. See you at the X!!!!
nahc

Post by nahc »

Statement game for Luverne. Just like Farmington rolling into the Section 1AA playoffs...... 18 game unbeatan streak.......... gets spanked by Lakeville North 6-0 in the Section finals. One game does not a season make but one game can certainly indicate how one program new on the map (so to speak) stands up against one of the perennial programs in the state. Hope it is a great game tomorrow morning!!!!!

Am on the bus with the Northern hockey programs......

Am picking Hermantown by at 4.......... :)
gitter

Post by gitter »

Good for Luverne. I had no idea where the city was until I googled it.For a community to be that excited for something like this - it is pretty cool. As someone said earlier, this is what class A hockey is about. I'm not a class A fan, but I'm hoping Luverne can give Hermantown a game at least.