All-metro team

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sartellcelly

All-metro team

Post by Sartellcelly »

Here it is: Here's the Star Tribune's all-metro team: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32770
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

I was happy to see Anderson included on the list over his linemate at Hill-Murray. Politics and biases aside, Anderson is a special player. A very special player. Every single fan of high school hockey should appreciate and witness it while they can.

The rest of the team(s) looks good. I'm pleased with the selections this year. Congratulations to all.
almostashappy

Re: All-metro team

Post by almostashappy »

Sartellcelly wrote:Here it is: Here's the Star Tribune's all-metro team: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32770
And here are the second and third teams:

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760

No Lindgren? :shock:

You show 'em at State, kid. :wink:
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

Not one Class A player, what a joke!
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Boeser - Fidler - Wahlin
Snuggerud - Brown
Ahrens

Naas - Novak - Spinner
Lindstrand - Nanne
Driscoll

J. Anderson - Cline - J. Poehling - Tomberlin
McNeely - Wolff
Berglove
hockeymannorth

Post by hockeymannorth »

almostashappy wrote:
Sartellcelly wrote:Here it is: Here's the Star Tribune's all-metro team: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32770

I'm with you Lindgren is the top 98 in the country let alone Minnesota
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

hockeymannorth wrote:
almostashappy wrote:

You mean Ryan Lindgren?? Andrew (Eagan goalie is not a 98)-brother Ryan is a 98 at SSM and a Gopher commit
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

Sats81 wrote:
hockeymannorth wrote:
almostashappy wrote: And here are the second and third teams:

You mean Ryan Lindgren?? Andrew (Eagan goalie is not a 98)-brother Ryan is a 98 at SSM and a Gopher commit
Yes, I was whining about Andrew Lindgren's glaring omission...from both papers's lists.

Driscoll is a helluva goalie, and a solid pick. It just annoys me that both papers cite his statistics as justification for his placement on these teams, when there's a kid right next door, playing just as hard a schedule, who had better stats in just about every category:

W/L Record: Driscoll (19-7), Lindgren (18-9-1)
GAA: Lindgren (1.78 ), Driscoll (1.99)
Save %: Lindgren (.932 ), Driscoll (.930)
Shut-outs: Lindgren (6), Driscoll (3)
Games w/ 1 goal allowed: Lindgren (11), Driscoll (7)
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

almostashappy wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
hockeymannorth wrote:I'm with you Lindgren is the top 98 in the country let alone Minnesota
Yes, I was whining about Andrew Lindgren's glaring omission...from both papers's lists.

Driscoll is a helluva goalie, and a solid pick. It just annoys me that both papers cite his statistics as justification for his placement on these teams, when there's a kid right next door, playing just as hard a schedule, who had better stats in just about every category:

W/L Record: Driscoll (19-7), Lindgren (18-9-1)
GAA: Lindgren (1.78 ), Driscoll (1.99)
Save %: Lindgren (.932 ), Driscoll (.930)
Shut-outs: Lindgren (6), Driscoll (3)
Games w/ 1 goal allowed: Lindgren (11), Driscoll (7)
Lindgren helped carry his team into the tourney this year, Driscoll did not (this year)
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Notable that Malmquist and Freytag did not make the cut
green4

Post by green4 »

WestMetro wrote:Notable that Malmquist and Freytag did not make the cut
They both didn't have great years by any means for there standards from previous years.
Malmquist had 32 points (3rd on team) Freytag had 27 (2nd on team). Compare that to the forwards on the 3rd team all metro: (some reason there is 4 forwards)
Cline: Mr. Hockey Finalist, 42 Points leads highly offense team
Tomberlin: 65 points, Led his team not many thought had a chance to 3rd seed in sections and overall a great year for the team
Jack Poehling: 45 points, along with his brothers took a team nobody was talking about into a top 3 team for much of the year.
Joey Anderson: 50 points, as a freshman he is arguably the pioneers best player on there team.

Without Hurley I would say Malmquist took a step back this year when he could have been the heart and soul of Edina but instead Fidler stepped up.
I don't watch a ton of Wayzata games so I can't say much about Freytag but Wayzata doesn't have a ton of offensive production and nobody on that offense seemed to step up in that spot. Im sure a lot of that has to do with the defensive system but regardless nobody on that offense had the numbers to be on this list in my opinion.
I think overall they did a pretty solid job for forwards on this.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

green4 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Notable that Malmquist and Freytag did not make the cut
They both didn't have great years by any means for there standards from previous years.
Malmquist had 32 points (3rd on team) Freytag had 27 (2nd on team). Compare that to the forwards on the 3rd team all metro: (some reason there is 4 forwards)
Cline: Mr. Hockey Finalist, 42 Points leads highly offense team
Tomberlin: 65 points, Led his team not many thought had a chance to 3rd seed in sections and overall a great year for the team
Jack Poehling: 45 points, along with his brothers took a team nobody was talking about into a top 3 team for much of the year.
Joey Anderson: 50 points, as a freshman he is arguably the pioneers best player on there team.

Without Hurley I would say Malmquist took a step back this year when he could have been the heart and soul of Edina but instead Fidler stepped up.
I don't watch a ton of Wayzata games so I can't say much about Freytag but Wayzata doesn't have a ton of offensive production and nobody on that offense seemed to step up in that spot. Im sure a lot of that has to do with the defensive system but regardless nobody on that offense had the numbers to be on this list in my opinion.
I think overall they did a pretty solid job for forwards on this.

Agree very much with this post. Freytag will fit in perfect at wisco with low offensive production ;)))
agreatdayforhockey

Post by agreatdayforhockey »

Congrats to everyone selected. In my opinion the second team of forwards is better than the first. I would have put Spinner as my player of the year
SidneysDogHouse

Post by SidneysDogHouse »

agreatdayforhockey wrote:Congrats to everyone selected. In my opinion the second team of forwards is better than the first. I would have put Spinner as my player of the year
I would agree, list is pretty good, but Spinner is a man among boys, far better than Wahlin. I also think Driscoll is a much better goalie than Ahrens who is good, but not great, and doesn't really have to play huge like Driscoll does. I would also add that Lindgren is much better than Berglove, but Berglove gets the nod due to schedule. Weak schedules cost many players notice when these teams get picked. Still think LV North will suffer because of this Thursday...their overall weak schedule and horrible section will make the big game tough.
Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Dog, I'll give you the weak section, but clearly your clueless if you think north played a weak season schedule....
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

SidneysDogHouse wrote:I would also add that Lindgren is much better than Berglove, but Berglove gets the nod due to schedule. Weak schedules cost many players notice when these teams get picked.
Are you really saying that Eagan had a weak regular season schedule, and/or a schedule demonstrably weaker than Elk River's? :shock:

minnhock has Eagan with 13th hardest strength of schedule, Elk River 16th.
http://www.minnhock.com/strength.htm

Oh, and Lakeville North came in at 8th.

Bluelight....I vote for "clueless"
sweatbloodandtears

Post by sweatbloodandtears »

Plenty of top defensemen not chosen
Johnny Austin - BSM
Mitch Reinke - Stillwater
Ryan Swanson - Holy Family
Dylan Wolfe - Holy Family
Alex Copa - Blaine
Ben Newhouse- BSM
Jake Dittel - White Bear
Alex Stevens - Wayzata
Will Schwartz-Centennial
Derek Witala - Breck
Jake Flemmer - Orono
Jason Krych - Totino Grace
Tommy Muck - Eagan
Derrick Olmshenk - Cretin
SidneysDogHouse

almostashappy wrote:
SidneysDogHouse wrote:I would also add that Lindgren is much better than Berglove, but Berglove gets the nod due to schedule. Weak schedules cost many players notice when these teams get picked.
Are you really saying that Eagan had a weak regular season schedule, and/or a schedule demonstrably weaker than Elk River's? :shock:

So I guess we should all go by what's on paper...? I see that worked out well! This season has shown strength of schedule has been nothing but gas in the wind! 13 to 16...big difference! :shock:
green4

Post by green4 »

SidneysDogHouse wrote:
agreatdayforhockey wrote:Congrats to everyone selected. In my opinion the second team of forwards is better than the first. I would have put Spinner as my player of the year
I would agree, list is pretty good, but Spinner is a man among boys, far better than Wahlin. I also think Driscoll is a much better goalie than Ahrens who is good, but not great, and doesn't really have to play huge like Driscoll does. I would also add that Lindgren is much better than Berglove, but Berglove gets the nod due to schedule. Weak schedules cost many players notice when these teams get picked. Still think LV North will suffer because of this Thursday...their overall weak schedule and horrible section will make the big game tough.
Spinner metro player of the year? Spinner is good but I Woudn't put him up on the first line of forwards.
Wahlin is basically all White bear had and without him there probably end up with a 3 or 4 seed in there section not to mention he had 31 more points than spinner with less of a supporting cast to help him.
Boeser is the best player on Burnsville, he had 46 points which is more than Spinner but it is close with him having 39, I would argue he is a better 2 way player and team player though compared to Spinner.
The 3rd forward is Fidler who led the Lake conference in points during the regular season who was the best forward Edina had and he led his team to 3 wins over Eden Prairie during this year and had a goal in every game against the Eagles including the game winner in the 2nd meeting, compared to Spinner who had 0 goals in the games against Edina.
Though very good I just don't see how Spinner ends up on the 1st team let alone best metro player, I would say that Snuggarud deserves metro player of the year before Spinner.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

SidneysDogHouse wrote:
almostashappy wrote:

So I guess we should all go by what's on paper...? I see that worked out well! This season has shown strength of schedule has been nothing but gas in the wind! 13 to 16...big difference! :shock:
You're trolling, right? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yes, there's no real difference between 13th and 16th. Which invalidates your original argument that Lindgren didn't get recognized because Eagan played a weak schedule. Nice job arguing against yourself.
SidneysDogHouse

almostashappy wrote:
SidneysDogHouse wrote:
almostashappy wrote: Are you really saying that Eagan had a weak regular season schedule, and/or a schedule demonstrably weaker than Elk River's? :shock:

Yes, there's no real difference between 13th and 16th. Which invalidates your original argument that Lindgren didn't get recognized because Eagan played a weak schedule. Nice job arguing against yourself.
Yup! Just remember game isn't played on paper, thankfully! I could care less what one reports as schedule difficulty, plain and simple ER was in tougher games...period.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

SidneysDogHouse wrote:
almostashappy wrote:
SidneysDogHouse wrote:

Yup! Just remember game isn't played on paper, thankfully! I could care less what one reports as schedule difficulty, plain and simple ER was in tougher games...period.
What about LNs "weak schedule"? Lol. Clearly your son was a casualty of other kids coming in. No need to be so upset. Bluelightspecial hit it on the head at clueless.
SidneysDogHouse

Sats81 wrote:
SidneysDogHouse wrote:
almostashappy wrote: You're trolling, right? :roll: :roll: :roll:

What about LNs "weak schedule"? Lol. Clearly your son was a casualty of other kids coming in. No need to be so upset. Bluelightspecial hit it on the head at clueless.
I will clarify a bit...LN (as well as a few others) have a much weaker conference schedule than some of the powerhouses, and their section isn't strong at all. So, I will retract my "weak schedule" comment, but I think we can agree on "weaker". LN was on no ones radar this year, and with a lot of the top seniors leaving this year, it left the door open for a team to do this...congrats to them for taking advantage of the opportunity, and good luck!

My son has nothing to with LN or any team near there, so we weren't a casualty of anything. What they've done isn't any worse than any other private, but is this really what we want with HS hockey in MN? Isn't there enough complaining about privates already? I believe there has been a few posts on that...?
bauerman

Post by bauerman »

All deserving players but hard to see Novak on the second team, especially when you compare stats of some of the other forwards
koolio

Post by koolio »

bauerman wrote:All deserving players but hard to see Novak on the second team, especially when you compare stats of some of the other forwards
One heck of a player (first team all the way), but the Classic Suburban is one horrible and stat happy (*) conference.