Pioneer Press's All-East-Metro Team

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

almostashappy

Pioneer Press's All-East-Metro Team

Post by almostashappy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:43 am

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_252 ... ockey-team

PP Player of the Year:
Wahlin

First team

Forwards: French (Hill-Murray), Novak (STA), Wahlin (WBL)
Defense: Colvard (Roseville), Wolff (Eagan)
Goalie: Driscoll (Eastview)

Second Team
Forwards: Cline (Blaine), Gravelle (Forest Lake), Jack Poehling (Lakeville North), Slattery (HM)
Defense: Olmschenk (CDH), Reinke (Stillwater)
Goalie: ?????? :roll:

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:58 am

What I find amusing is the fact the Boeser is strib metro player of year, yet doesn't make a team on pioneer press!

What a joke

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:05 am

Sats81 wrote:What I find amusing is the fact the Boeser is strib metro player of year, yet doesn't make a team on pioneer press!

What a joke
I suppose you could say that Burnsville is more of a Minneapolis suburb than a St. Paul suburb, and the PP list is an "East Metro" compilation. But then you'd have to explain why Blaine is considered an "East Metro" team. :roll:

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:06 am

almostashappy wrote:
Sats81 wrote:What I find amusing is the fact the Boeser is strib metro player of year, yet doesn't make a team on pioneer press!

What a joke
I suppose you could say that Burnsville is more of a Minneapolis suburb than a St. Paul suburb, and the PP list is an "East Metro" compilation. But then you'd have to explain why Blaine is considered an "East Metro" team. :roll:
Or LN too with one of Poehlings being named to team. Literally borders Burnsville...

wbmd

Post by wbmd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:44 am

What I think is funny is that Jake Wahlin says his team comes before him, yet he's not sticking around for his senior season - he's just thinking about himself.

Personally, I hope he's a major flop at the higher level - much like Jake Hansen turned out to be at the University of Minnesota.

hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:58 am

wbmd wrote:What I think is funny is that Jake Wahlin says his team comes before him, yet he's not sticking around for his senior season - he's just thinking about himself.

Personally, I hope he's a major flop at the higher level - much like Jake Hansen turned out to be at the University of Minnesota.
You can throw as many angry tantrums about him leaving as you want, and I will not begrudge you a thing.

But for you to intentionally wish failure upon someone's life speaks wonders about your own character - particularly when it has absolutely zero impact on your own well-being.

Congratulations to all selected - despite the questionable selection methods employed by the PP.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:02 pm

wbmd wrote:What I think is funny is that Jake Wahlin says his team comes before him, yet he's not sticking around for his senior season - he's just thinking about himself.

Unreal. Hoping for a HS kid to have failure because you don't agree with HIS choice for his next step in this sport. Btw, Hansen was definitely not a flop at the U.

wbmd

Post by wbmd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:15 pm

Sats81 wrote:

Unreal. Hoping for a HS kid to have failure because you don't agree with HIS choice for his next step in this sport. Btw, Hansen was definitely not a flop at the U.
Compared to his high school and USHL career, Hansen certainly was a flop/failure at the U of M.

MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 pm

Sats81 wrote:

Hansen was one of the Gophers' top contributors his sr year, helping the Gophs to the 2012 Frozen Four...He may not have lit it up like many thought he would, but he was a solid college player. If you want to talk about flops, look no further than Patrick White (Grand Rapids/Gophers). Either way, Wahlin has nothing left to prove in HS hockey. Sure, it'd be great to see him in the tourney next year possibly, but it's the trend now for players of his caliber to head to the USHL their sr year and he'll likely go to UMASS as a true freshman.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:27 pm

Not to mention, do people truly realize how big the jump from HS to USHL is? Even more, the jump from USHL to D1? You are playing against 17-18 yr olds in USHL compared to kids in college who are 21, 22, 23 years old. In D1, they all can play. You can't take a shift off.

nobama

Post by nobama » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:30 pm

You give the ushl way too much credit the bottom teams are junk. :roll:

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:57 pm

nobama wrote:You give the ushl way too much credit the bottom teams are junk. :roll:
Really? How many kids playing MN HS hockey right now (% wise) could effectively play in that league? You would be surprised. Not every bender can compete at that level.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Agree on Lindgren. Oettinger would also have been a good goalie candidate, as long as they were including LV North. Will be interesting to see his poise against Roseau's top line

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:15 pm

What a tool. You shouldn't wish for a kid to be a bust just because he made a decision you don't agree with
Last edited by Wblhcky2424 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:33 pm

Wblhcky2424 wrote:

What a tool.
Honestly, the most interesting part of the article was Sager's comment about Wahlin. I think he took so much heat over how he handled Hansen's departure, that he has realized he can't fight it anymore. Dissapointed, yes, but can't fight it.

In talks I have had with him, he has seen reserved to know this was it all year long. I think after the upset against stillwater, there was a slim moment where people thought "maybe."

I would agree with Sager though, that he doesn't need to leave by any means. Hansen left early, and while I thought he was a good asset at the U, I don't feel going to the USHL was the reason for that.

The biggest regret, imo, is that the state never got to see one of the finest high school hockey players of the last 15 years play on the big stage. We all miss out on him leaving.

Note: I said HIGH SCHOOL hockey players. I certainly hope the kid makes it. I love seeing WBL kids make it to the big dance, but there is a lot of work to do before he will end up there.

I think lost in all this is that he is a really good kid too. Wish him the best.

White Bear will be fine. Some good players coming up from bantam next year, and a veteran team next year. Will it be much harder next year? Yes. You don't replace a Wahlin, but there are teams across the state that are playing this week that don't have a Wahlin on the ice.

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:52 pm

meridian90 wrote:
Honestly, the most interesting part of the article was Sager's comment about Wahlin. I think he took so much heat over how he handled Hansen's departure, that he has realized he can't fight it anymore. Dissapointed, yes, but can't fight it.

In talks I have had with him, he has seen reserved to know this was it all year long. I think after the upset against stillwater, there was a slim moment where people thought "maybe."

I would agree with Sager though, that he doesn't need to leave by any means. Hansen left early, and while I thought he was a good asset at the U, I don't feel going to the USHL was the reason for that.

The biggest regret, imo, is that the state never got to see one of the finest high school hockey players of the last 15 years play on the big stage. We all miss out on him leaving.

Note: I said HIGH SCHOOL hockey players. I certainly hope the kid makes it. I love seeing WBL kids make it to the big dance, but there is a lot of work to do before he will end up there.

I think lost in all this is that he is a really good kid too. Wish him the best.

White Bear will be fine. Some good players coming up from bantam next year, and a veteran team next year. Will it be much harder next year? Yes. You don't replace a Wahlin, but there are teams across the state that are playing this week that don't have a Wahlin on the ice.
You pretty much hit it all right on the head. Couldn't agree more

DanFromWoodbury

Post by DanFromWoodbury » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:20 am

How long has the Press been doing the East Metro team versus All Metro?

nobama

Post by nobama » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:02 pm

Wblhcky2424 wrote:
meridian90 wrote:

You pretty much hit it all right on the head. Couldn't agree more
yep i missed the hit but i did see the stick to the head tomahawk style yep say it aint so and i will call you a :^o

wbmd

Post by wbmd » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:02 pm

DanFromWoodbury wrote:How long has the Press been doing the East Metro team versus All Metro?
For 2 or 3 years now.

wbmd

Post by wbmd » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:26 pm

MNpuckBlog wrote:Wahlin has nothing left to prove in HS hockey.
Wahlin had plenty more to prove in high school hockey.

Of his 41 goals this season, 23 came against teams that finished the regular season under .500. An additional four goals were against three teams that completed the regular season at slightly over .500 (Centennial and Stillwater finished three games over and North St. Paul just one over).

27 goals and 55 of his 77 total points were against losing teams.

Again, Wahlin had plenty more to prove in high school hockey. Only 18 of his 41 goals were against teams finishing over .500 during the regular season.