TV Announcer annoyances

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote:Annoyance? Try having the network cut to Obama talking about the Ukraine. They're showing a split screen but the audio is on Obama. Grrrr. :evil:

Lee
You voted for the dumb SOB....................

:D
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

elliott70 wrote:
east hockey wrote:Annoyance? Try having the network cut to Obama talking about the Ukraine. They're showing a split screen but the audio is on Obama. Grrrr. :evil:

Lee

Wow, don't hold back, Mark.
Say it how you really feel.
What is a Green Wave anyway?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote:

Lee

Last time I'm voting for a man. Hey, is Hillary running? :P

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

elliott70 wrote:

Lee

Not much of a choice. One dumb SOB or the other dumb SOB . . .
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

Lee

Lee
Did they not make a movie of Barack and Hillary???

Dumb and dumber....

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

elliott70 wrote:
east hockey wrote:
elliott70 wrote: You voted for the dumb SOB....................

Lee

Dumb and dumber....

Naw that was Bush and Cheney.
Although I could see how you might mix them up.
They all kinda look alike... :lol:
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Boy, did that get off-track quickly. :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

east hockey wrote:Boy, did that get off-track quickly. :)

Lee
Gotta stay away from Politics,
Even when your just havin' fun :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

TTpuckster wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
east hockey wrote: Last time I'm voting for a man. Hey, is Hillary running? :P

Lee

Dumb and dumber....

Naw that was Bush and Cheney.
Although I could see how you might mix them up.
They all kinda look alike... :lol:
You are right about that...

Of course, we (the voters) are not that bright if we let these idiots run the country...

We need some middle income, hard working stiff that can keep things in perspective...

vote for Joe L. ....
ahh no, sorry that would not work....
I said middle income, hard working.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote:Boy, did that get off-track quickly. :)

Lee
Dang admins leading us astray, again.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Go to war to take out a Hussein and then vote a Hussein in a few years later... That's smarts!

Must have been the free cell phones...

But never cut in on the hockey tournament.
Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

At the risk of getting banned here for wandering off topic.... Is it just me or have them spent more time that usual talking about how you don't have to be rich to play hockey. They actually had a guy go out to a sporting goods place and price out 3 different levels of gear ranging from about 400 to abuot 1800 and talk about how even you poor folks can play. I did notice though that they did not mention goalie gear on that segment. I bet you don't get into that line of work for $400, probably not even $1800.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Winter is Coming wrote:At the risk of getting banned here for wandering off topic.... Is it just me or have them spent more time that usual talking about how you don't have to be rich to play hockey. They actually had a guy go out to a sporting goods place and price out 3 different levels of gear ranging from about 400 to abuot 1800 and talk about how even you poor folks can play. I did notice though that they did not mention goalie gear on that segment. I bet you don't get into that line of work for $400, probably not even $1800.
Pretty out of touch, if they think "poor" people got $400 to throw at hockey.

By that definition, a LOT of folks are "poor".
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

puckbreath wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:At the risk of getting banned here for wandering off topic.... Is it just me or have them spent more time that usual talking about how you don't have to be rich to play hockey. They actually had a guy go out to a sporting goods place and price out 3 different levels of gear ranging from about 400 to abuot 1800 and talk about how even you poor folks can play. I did notice though that they did not mention goalie gear on that segment. I bet you don't get into that line of work for $400, probably not even $1800.

No mention of association fees, either. That's usually the one that prices out the younger kids. Its not hard to find gear on the cheap if you look hard enough or don't mind wearing used stuff. The ice time, tourney fees, and travel expenses are where the major expenses come from at the youth level, which is the audiences they appear to be targeting with these blurbs.

Back on topic... I like Thorne as the voice, but I agree that he has been very generic. Hardly ever differentiated between which Poehling was which in the Lakeville North game... same with the Sullivan's from Eden Prairie. Barely ever hear a name from 2nd & 3rd line players.
Cadets16

Post by Cadets16 »

PuckRanger wrote:
puckbreath wrote:

No mention of association fees, either. That's usually the one that prices out the younger kids. Its not hard to find gear on the cheap if you look hard enough or don't mind wearing used stuff. The ice time, tourney fees, and travel expenses are where the major expenses come from at the youth level, which is the audiences they appear to be targeting with these blurbs.
The only thing that ever held me back from playing hockey.

Nothing a good set of rollerblades, an old wood stick, a street puck, and a cardboard box goal can't fix though. :mrgreen: :lol:
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Cadets16 wrote:
PuckRanger wrote:
puckbreath wrote: Pretty out of touch, if they think "poor" people got $400 to throw at hockey.

The only thing that ever held me back from playing hockey.

Nothing a good set of rollerblades, an old wood stick, a street puck, and a cardboard box goal can't fix though. :mrgreen: :lol:
You attended sta, but couldn't afford to play hockey ?
Cadets16

Post by Cadets16 »

*currently attend

STA has one of the best financial aid programs of all the privates.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Cadets16 wrote:*currently attend

Sorry to hear that :P

How does it rank cost-wise compared to the others ?
Cadets16

Post by Cadets16 »

puckbreath wrote:

How does it rank cost-wise with the others ?
It's up there, though I don't know the exact statistics. If you count Shattuck, I'm positive they are the most expensive, followed by Blake and Breck. Ironically, Blake and Breck also have very good financial assistance.

I feel like a Catholic school of the Archdiocese would hesitate to turn somebody down due to cost if they really do want to further their Catholic education.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Cadets16 wrote:
puckbreath wrote:

It's up there, though I don't know the exact statistics. If you count Shattuck, I'm positive they are the most expensive, followed by Blake and Breck. Ironically, Blake and Breck also have very good financial assistance.

I feel like a Catholic school of the Archdiocese would hesitate to turn somebody down due to cost if they really do want to further their Catholic education.
Is that what you guys call it there? Catholic Education? :lol: Jokes aside though, the school's grants are around $9,400 per student. They help to get students in the door.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Cadets16 wrote:
puckbreath wrote:

Yeah, most times, the most expensive schools, offer the most aid, but the resulting cost is still higher than others.
Cadets16

Post by Cadets16 »

puckbreath wrote:Yeah, most times, the most expensive schools, offer the most aid, but the resulting cost is still higher than others.
Yeah, on the average that may be a good statement. There's always those students though that get far more aid or far less depending on their true needs.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Cadets16 wrote:
puckbreath wrote:Yeah, most times, the most expensive schools, offer the most aid, but the resulting cost is still higher than others.
Yeah, on the average that may be a good statement. There's always those students though that get far more aid or far less depending on their true needs.
That's true.
WB6162

Re: TV Announcer annoyances

Post by WB6162 »

NLHockey wrote:Gonna have to go see some games in person. Announcers mispronunciations driving me crazy. It's not CH-sago lakes it's SHHisago Lakes. Sounds like SHI$ NOT CHIT. Somebody must have said something to them after the 1st ...they finally started to pronounce it correctly. Now they need to get some of the kids' last names right.
So it bothers you that much?
NLHockey

Re: TV Announcer annoyances

Post by NLHockey »

WB6162 wrote:
NLHockey wrote:Gonna have to go see some games in person. Announcers mispronunciations driving me crazy. It's not CH-sago lakes it's SHHisago Lakes. Sounds like SHI$ NOT CHIT. Somebody must have said something to them after the 1st ...they finally started to pronounce it correctly. Now they need to get some of the kids' last names right.
So it bothers you that much?
Probably as much as girls hockey bothers you

And yes, if you put yourself out there as a professional, you should sound like one......that is their job after all. But hey, it's just single A right :roll: