TV Announcer annoyances

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

north_bear

Post by north_bear »

I can't be the only one but I rather enjoyed listening to the Nanne/Thorne combo. Yes they occasionally get a name or team wrong but as far as giving an entertaining and solid play by play I am pleased. Thorne has one of the most captivating voices to listen to. Even though Nanne gets overwhelming when he announces for Edina he is a staple of the tournament and it wouldn't be the same without him. I think Thorne is doing a good job with the names, he knows the major players well but as the game goes on he gets better with the other names/numbers.

I can say though that I can't stand listening to Ben Clymer. He sounds like a total tool when he talks. Hard to believe he played when you listen to him.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

In the Roseau - Lakeville North game, Thorne called every number 3, 4, and 7 Poehling regardless of what team they played for. According to Thorne Poehling scored the first goal of the game, even though it was scored against Lakeville North.

It must be hard to just come in and be expected to read names from a sheet of paper while watching the game from the press box.

I don't think I could do it as well as him and I actually know the players.
Deck Slide

Post by Deck Slide »

Traxler wrote:In the Roseau - Lakeville North game, Thorne called every number 3, 4, and 7 Poehling regardless of what team they played for. According to Thorne Poehling scored the first goal of the game, even though it was scored against Lakeville North.

It must be hard to just come in and be expected to read names from a sheet of paper while watching the game from the press box.

Thorne will get better.. Coming in and trying to figure out names of 8 different teams is no easy task.. It was pretty bad yesterday but I expect by today and Sunday he will have things figured out..
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

I remember Steve Cannon would occasionally call gopher hockey games on WCCO.
"Gophers steal the puck at the blue line, number 6 passes to number 14 back to 6, score!! What a play."
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

Bob Bruce's contempt of Edina was an annoyance for several years when he was in the booth. We wished him away, and now he is far from the land of hockey...
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Deck Slide wrote:
Traxler wrote:In the Roseau - Lakeville North game, Thorne called every number 3, 4, and 7 Poehling regardless of what team they played for. According to Thorne Poehling scored the first goal of the game, even though it was scored against Lakeville North.

Thorne will get better.. Coming in and trying to figure out names of 8 different teams is no easy task.. It was pretty bad yesterday but I expect by today and Sunday he will have things figured out..
He must like saying Poehling. He referred to Snuggerud as Poehling several times. Wasn't Snuggerud's dad an NHLer? I would've thought he'd called that name before.
hockeyfan2150

TV Announcers

Post by hockeyfan2150 »

Thorne sounds better than any of the rest that are on TV. Screwie Loui sounds like he has gotten hit one to many times to the head. Time for 45 to re-tool.
MNhockey29

Post by MNhockey29 »

I wonder if the high school league has ever thought about contacting ESPN to broadcast the tournament. I know they on ESPN 2 and ESPN U they broadcast high school football. I think it would be a great way for Minnesota to show off the tournament to the rest of the country. Thoughts?
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

MNhockey29 wrote:I wonder if the high school league has ever thought about contacting ESPN to broadcast the tournament. I know they on ESPN 2 and ESPN U they broadcast high school football. I think it would be a great way for Minnesota to show off the tournament to the rest of the country. Thoughts?
Novel idea, but hockey just isn't popular enough. Football is infinitely more popular than hockey. ESPNs TOP story on my feed earlier today was that the 32nd best high school football prospect committed to Texas Tech. ESPN barely puts a blurb online when a team wins the college frozen four. It's just too regional.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
hockeyfan2150

TV Announcers

Post by hockeyfan2150 »

What about FSN. Anything would be better than 45 a sub-par station!
BlueLineSpecial

Re: TV Announcers

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

hockeyfan2150 wrote:What about FSN. Anything would be better than 45 a sub-par station!
I assume they're trying to keep it off cable so those without can enjoy. Just a thought...
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

That medal deal with Lou was more entertaining than the game. Dave Stead almost choked him :D
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

MNhockey29 wrote:I wonder if the high school league has ever thought about contacting ESPN to broadcast the tournament. I know they on ESPN 2 and ESPN U they broadcast high school football. I think it would be a great way for Minnesota to show off the tournament to the rest of the country. Thoughts?
Great idea, but I think the rest of the country just doesn't get it and likely never will. However, it was a big deal around 1980 or so, wasn't it? Howard Cosell, Cheryl Tiegs, and other national luminaries, some SI press? How does one re-capture that kind of magic?
nahc

Post by nahc »

Have totally changed my opinion of Gary Thorne and the hockey broadcasts. Tuned into the Channel 45 boys State High School basketball semifinals telecast last night......... THAT was horrible.......
Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 »

nahc wrote:Have totally changed my opinion of Gary Thorne and the hockey broadcasts. Tuned into the Channel 45 boys State High School basketball semifinals telecast last night......... THAT was horrible.......
You think?
It is what it is!