Warroad Roseau Co-op

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

25 sheet power

Warroad Roseau Co-op

Post by 25 sheet power » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:12 pm

Would a Warroad Roseau Co-op be the end of High school hockey?
You would have to think at the very least they would win the AA title about half the time. No one would be stopping Bethune, Strand, Slyvester, Roth, Yon...

wayfncold

Post by wayfncold » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:46 pm

Can't see that ever happening. It's just to bad Slyvester,Bethune, and Roth hadn't gone to school a little farther west. Then section 8 could head back north with both the A and AA championships. I think EGF will get theirs.

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Those three might, MIGHT....make it onto Edina's 2nd line. :lol:

j/k....it would be interesting, but it would never happen. Too much pride involved. Adrian & Ellsworth down in SW MN won't co-op together (Ellsworth has to go all the way to Edgerton for 9-man football); I couldn't imagine the bitterness between Roseau & Warroad...

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:59 pm

Besides, there's only so much Marvin can do ! :P

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:05 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Those three might, MIGHT....make it onto Edina's 2nd line. :lol:

j/k....it would be interesting, but it would never happen. Too much pride involved. Adrian & Ellsworth down in SW MN won't co-op together (Ellsworth has to go all the way to Edgerton for 9-man football); I couldn't imagine the bitterness between Roseau & Warroad...
While it would never happen, the bitterness is only when these teams play each other. Generally, these teams have great respect for each other beyond that. Plus, a lot of these guys do play together through out the summer and at other camps.

And there have been plenty of chances for 8 to win both trophies in the last decade. If Moorhead comes through in '05, or if Warroad didn't blow a 2 goal lead to Hermantown in '07, who knows what could have happened.

25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:06 pm

wayfncold wrote:Can't see that ever happening. It's just to bad Slyvester,Bethune, and Roth hadn't gone to school a little farther west. Then section 8 could head back north with both the A and AA championships. I think EGF will get theirs.
or yon and Bjugson should have went east a bit more. either or..

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:09 pm

warriors41 wrote: While it would never happen, the bitterness is only when these teams play each other. Generally, these teams have great respect for each other beyond that. Plus, a lot of these guys do play together through out the summer and at other camps.

And there have been plenty of chances for 8 to win both trophies in the last decade. If Moorhead comes through in '05, or if Warroad didn't blow a 2 goal lead to Hermantown in '07, who knows what could have happened.
I guess my point (and correct me if I'm wrong and it doesn't exist) is that the bitterness would be more from older folk rather than the current youngsters...

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
warriors41 wrote: While it would never happen, the bitterness is only when these teams play each other. Generally, these teams have great respect for each other beyond that. Plus, a lot of these guys do play together through out the summer and at other camps.

I guess my point (and correct me if I'm wrong and it doesn't exist) is that the bitterness would be more from older folk rather than the current youngsters...
Definitely, there would be a lot of pride that would stop this from the outset.

iwatchalotofhockey

Post by iwatchalotofhockey » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:07 pm

What are you smoking? Even the thought of this is craziness. Yeah I am originally from Roseau and I have a lot of respect and yet also disrespect for the evil neighbor to the east.

For some you may remember the county seat issue back up there some years back that was very heated in the county betwene Roseau and Warroad.

Oh well interesting topic from a pure controversial standpoint I guess on the board here. I haven't been on in some time but saw it and had to post.

black sheep

Post by black sheep » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:46 am

And if they co-oped they would still be eligible to play class A

defense

Re: Warroad Roseau Co-op

Post by defense » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:07 pm

25 sheet power wrote:Would a Warroad Roseau Co-op be the end of High school hockey?
You would have to think at the very least they would win the AA title about half the time. No one would be stopping Bethune, Strand, Slyvester, Roth, Yon...
NO. just....no...

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:04 pm

black sheep wrote:And if they co-oped they would still be eligible to play class A
Now that's crazy to think.

SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:14 am

25 sheet power wrote:Would a Warroad Roseau Co-op be the end of High school hockey?
Don't know your Northern MN history very well, do 'ya ?

That'd be like tryin' to make the Hatfields & McCoys live together !

wayfncold

Post by wayfncold » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:47 am

SPUDNUT wrote:

I think a Hatfield did marry a McCoy, so never say never.

upnorthfan

Post by upnorthfan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Why would Yon have moved east, his parents are both from Roseau, he has ties here. Why would Bjugson have moved east, to try play in a Class A tourney in a quarter final game with 5,300 fans or play in Roseau and get to play AA in front of 15,000?

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:08 pm

The Warroad Roseau all star team from this year would have done excellent in the tourney.

Think they take out edina?

upnorthfan

Post by upnorthfan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:30 pm

There definitely would not have been a team there with a first and second line to match up, Edina included!

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:19 pm

upnorthfan wrote:Why would Yon have moved east, his parents are both from Roseau, he has ties here. Why would Bjugson have moved east, to try play in a Class A tourney in a quarter final game with 5,300 fans or play in Roseau and get to play AA in front of 15,000?
There's an old saying

"If you can't beat 'em, join em." :)

upnorthfan

Post by upnorthfan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:49 pm

There is an older saying that says if you have never won a real state tournament or ever had any success playing the big schools, you stay in class A. Sorry, but you will never know what its like!

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:07 pm

upnorthfan wrote:There is an older saying that says if you have never won a real state tournament or ever had any success playing the big schools, you stay in class A. Sorry, but you will never know what its like!
:roll:

Hockeylogger

Post by Hockeylogger » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:59 pm

This may not be an old saying, but an appropriate one.

"If you lose to Warroad three years in a row in the Class "A" sections finals maybe you should just move to AA where you have a chance at making it to state."

I love how everyone in Roseau looks down on a tournament and class that they never had any success in or never made it to the state tournament. It took them four years of sitting at home to figure out that they needed to play in the "real" tournament with the "big boys"

UpNorthMom

Post by UpNorthMom » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:54 pm

And....here we go. Another old debate getting started. Just a demonstration of how this could never, ever happen. THANK GOD!!!!

SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:27 am

wayfncold wrote:
SPUDNUT wrote:

I think a Hatfield did marry a McCoy, so never say never.
Oh yeah, did hear about that - which one was the female ? (Oops, guess that isn't a requirement any more !)

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:50 am

You know, I understand the rivalry between these two schools, but it is true they would be pretty awesome on an annual basis if they combined. I've often wondered the same thing on the Iron Range. Why not combine some of these A programs and be competitive at the AA level? Duluth would be similarly awesome. Of course then there would be a lot of kids that never got to play HS hockey. Maybe there'd be more Jr. Gold teams then.

upnorthfan

Post by upnorthfan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:57 am

It is funny trying to put Roseau down for playing with "the big boys"! Warroad has never won a "big boy tourney" ever, but wants to rip Roseau for doing it and winning it and competing in it this year. Warroad can say anything they want, but the fact is they will never have what Roseau has, ever. Enjoy playing Class A, nothing wrong with that, but when you have had a taste of the big tourney, there really is no comparison. I will guarantee you that Roseau going AA had nothing to do with lack of success in A. That is something silly for those who don't have the guts to move up to try justify where they are at. Have a good summer!