Class A Final: (2) Hermantown vs (1) East Grand Forks

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:24 pm

East Grand Forks
19
54%
Hermantown
16
46%
 
Total votes: 35

Northhcky
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:52 pm

Post by Northhcky » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:06 pm

A big congrats to EGF, you deserve this one!!! But now that you have won a title you will have the haters telling you that you should move up to AA lol. Imho it was agreat A final..best i have seen in many years... two small public schools fighting for the title and the best team today won. The way it should be! Like the old days before the privates took over! Ok haters go ahead.

thestickler07
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:00 pm

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Congrats to the Green Wave on a hell of a showing and well earned victory today!

bemused
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:20 am

Post by bemused » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:12 pm

Northhcky wrote:A big congrats to EGF, you deserve this one!!! But now that you have won a title you will have the haters telling you that you should move up to AA lol. Imho it was agreat A final..best i have seen in many years... two small public schools fighting for the title and the best team today won. The way it should be! Like the old days before the privates took over! Ok haters go ahead.
No hating here..didn't think this was one of Hermantown's better teams.
Missing the usual big time goalie and thin after 5 and 11 in back. Very impressed with EGf and assume they will be back next year, looking at
their age. Can't say I feel bad for Plante though...

SPUDNUT
Posts: 978
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Moorhead

Post by SPUDNUT » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:34 pm

What the hell was that ? Wow - musta been a Green Wave !

Still don't know what one is, but it roared thru the State of Hockey like a runaway freitht train. VERY nice team to watch. Congrats to all of 'em - players, coaches, parents, fans, etc.

SPUDNUT
Posts: 978
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Moorhead

Post by SPUDNUT » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:39 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:East Grand 3 - Hermantown 1
Plante can whine about losing once again. Hermantown is perennial runner ups.
Didn't they win it in 07 ?

Open mouth, change feet !

goldy313
Posts: 3409
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Post by goldy313 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:40 pm

Maybe a little Karma for showboating in front of the New Prague crowd on Friday.

EGF was the best team in Class A and would have had a respectable showing in the AA tourament based on their season. Congrats to them.

MrBoDangles
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:49 pm

Wouldn't it be great to see them play against Edina or LVN for a true final..?

Winter is Coming
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:42 pm

Post by Winter is Coming » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:50 pm

SPUDNUT wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:East Grand 3 - Hermantown 1
Plante can whine about losing once again. Hermantown is perennial runner ups.
Didn't they win it in 07 ?

Open mouth, change feet !
5 years in a row as the runner up pretty well makes them the perennial runner up in most people's books.

I wonder if some of those talented 11th graders are going to see the writing on the wall and leave for greener pastures next year rather than spend the year blowing up cupcakes and then losing when/if they get to the big dance.

defense
Posts: 1319
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Post by defense » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:50 pm

Northhcky wrote:A big congrats to EGF, you deserve this one!!! But now that you have won a title you will have the haters telling you that you should move up to AA lol. Imho it was agreat A final..best i have seen in many years... two small public schools fighting for the title and the best team today won. The way it should be! Like the old days before the privates took over! Ok haters go ahead.
EGF should be AA, but i thought that before this season. And I don't hate em for it. Congratulations boys

HornetsFan
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Post by HornetsFan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:56 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:Wouldn't it be great to see them play against Edina or LVN for a true final..?
A true blowout is what I think you meant to say...

Winter is Coming
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:42 pm

Post by Winter is Coming » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:59 pm

I assume that the post game press conf has come and gone. Did anybody hear it or see it? Anything interesting come out of it?

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6914
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:08 pm

puckbreath wrote:egf had a history of self-destructing via lack of discipline. You could literally count on it.
Too close to UND? :P :wink:

deacon
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:59 pm

Post by deacon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Northhcky wrote:A big congrats to EGF, you deserve this one!!! But now that you have won a title you will have the haters telling you that you should move up to AA lol. Imho it was agreat A final..best i have seen in many years... two small public schools fighting for the title and the best team today won. The way it should be! Like the old days before the privates took over! Ok haters go ahead.
Yeah, that was so much better than last years title game....

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6914
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:25 pm

defense wrote:EGF should be AA, but i thought that before this season. And I don't hate em for it. Congratulations boys
Huh? Must mean that the new standard for moving up is when you win your first Class A title in the history of the school. :roll:

MrBoDangles
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:31 pm

HornetsFan wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Wouldn't it be great to see them play against Edina or LVN for a true final..?
A true blowout is what I think you meant to say...
Have a little faith in you hornets

puckbreath
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Post by puckbreath » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:38 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
puckbreath wrote:egf had a history of self-destructing via lack of discipline. You could literally count on it.
Too close to UND? :P :wink:
LOL, good point !

puckbreath
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Post by puckbreath » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Anyone wondering about 8a next year, my .02:

- egf is again the favorite. That is, depending on if any "new faces :wink: " that show up in Warroad.
egf is losing some players, but they are returning more than Warroad.

- Warroad is second.

- trf will not be a contender for many years to come.

puckbreath
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Post by puckbreath » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:43 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
defense wrote:EGF should be AA, but i thought that before this season. And I don't hate em for it. Congratulations boys
Huh? Must mean that the new standard for moving up is when you win your first Class A title in the history of the school. :roll:
Yeah, egf is right where they belong.

Calls for them in aa are uninformed.

After next year, their cycle will be over.

hockeyhockeyhockey
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:44 pm

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:32 pm

so does the hermantown head coach CLAIM the Suburb public school championship this year?

want to give that baby something....

maybe he can cry for EGF to disband, play in N Dakota or move up???

thoughts?

TTpuckster
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:26 am
Location: State of Hockey

Post by TTpuckster » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:51 pm

Deathblow wrote:Classy move by Oliver...gave his medal to 3rd string, senior goalie.
Nice.
What is a Green Wave anyway?

puckbreath
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Post by puckbreath » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:59 pm

Deathblow wrote:Classy move by Oliver...gave his medal to 3rd string, senior goalie.
Kid not on the varsity/dressed ?

defense
Posts: 1319
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Post by defense » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:01 pm

puckbreath wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
defense wrote:EGF should be AA, but i thought that before this season. And I don't hate em for it. Congratulations boys
Huh? Must mean that the new standard for moving up is when you win your first Class A title in the history of the school. :roll:
Yeah, egf is right where they belong.

Calls for them in aa are uninformed.

After next year, their cycle will be over.

wow.
after being out for awhile I forgot how defensive hockey fans were...
re read boys. I congratulated ya! and my thinkin EGF should play AA has very little to do about jealousy and hating on em and everything to do about a genuine respect of their program. I was propping ya up, not tearing at ya, enjoy the championship!

puckbreath
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Post by puckbreath » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:17 pm

defense wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
defense wrote:EGF should be AA, but i thought that before this season. And I don't hate em for it. Congratulations boys
Huh? Must mean that the new standard for moving up is when you win your first Class A title in the history of the school. :roll:
Yeah, egf is right where they belong.

Calls for them in aa are uninformed.

After next year, their cycle will be over.

wow.
after being out for awhile I forgot how defensive hockey fans were...
re read boys. I congratulated ya! and my thinkin EGF should play AA has very little to do about jealousy and hating on em and everything to do about a genuine respect of their program. I was propping ya up, not tearing at ya, enjoy the championship!
Not mine to enjoy.

I can't stand egf :lol:

Deathblow
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:26 am

Post by Deathblow » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:28 pm

puckbreath wrote:
Deathblow wrote:Classy move by Oliver...gave his medal to 3rd string, senior goalie.
Kid not on the varsity/dressed ?
Nah...he dressed most games this year...don't think he played. Didn't dress at the tournament. I think it was simply a reward for sticking with it...even though Lieberg and Weber were the clearly the top two goalies. Actually, I think there were two other senior goalies who didn't even try out because of goalie depth, but Gaasvig stuck it out.

On a side note, I don't think Weber made an 'A' team until second year of Bantams...really worked hard to get where he is.
Last edited by Deathblow on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bauerman
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:06 am

Post by bauerman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:29 pm

i think what this year in class A and in prior years also shows is that the top class A teams can easily play with the top class AA in any given year the problem for most class A teams is that there maybe a big gap in years in which they could compete with the big AA teams year in and year out. I would suspect that EGF could have played at least as well as say Stillwater or a few other AA teams this year, which makes the 16 team tourney a compeling alternative, 8 AA, 8 A seed them and see what happens. We have to get rid of this superior AA mentality. The AA tourney is certainly deeper but by no means the best 8 teams A or AA in the state

Post Reply