Show some humility

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:24 pm

almostashappy wrote:
puckbreath wrote:Interestingly enough, using the NFL as an example, it wasn't the fans or coaches that wanted the creation of the rules/penalties for celebrations.

It was the league itself, along with the officials, ya know, the guys enforcing the rules............... :wink:

But that's the difference between hockey and all other sports; the huge amount of latitude and gray areas given to hockey officials to call or not call rule violations.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other about them.

But I don't agree with the "coaches, fans, etc. will put a stop to them if they think it's needed" philosophy.
It doesn't have to take a "on-the-books" two minute minor that is called by a hockey official for a coach to enforce his own rules and his own penalties if his players celly. If he doesn't want his kids acting that way, he can set his own team rules, and enforce them however he wants...from no-puck practices to sitting the kid for a shift, or a period, or for a game.

Some coaches already set higher standards for their players, and go above and beyond what the MSHSL rules mandate when it comes to other infractions. First time getting caught with chewing tobacco is a league enforced 2-week suspension in most programs. But not at Hill-Murray.
This is true, some coaches don't allow it. I went to a coaching clinic a couple of years ago and Dave Esse was one of the speakers. Dave is the head coach at Cloquet-Esko-Carlton. One of the things he talks about is how much he despises the individual, "look at me." goal celebrations. He doesn't allow his players to do it. Sure enough, I watched them play that same year and when they score, all five guys come together briefly and then skate to the face off circle. I just think that shows class and respect for your opponent and it really changed my thoughts on this. One thing I did find different though is he said he doesn't even allow the skate down the bench and high five everyone. I never thought this was necessarily a bad thing, but I have to admit I've always thought it looked really out of place and was never comfortable with it. Not sure why, probably because it's a more recent development in the game.

cake83

Post by cake83 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:37 pm

almostashappy wrote:
cake83 wrote:
almostashappy wrote:
cake83 wrote: Typical - I'm from Edina so my opinion couldn't possibly be valid, right?
Typical - You're from Edina so nobody has the right to question your (initially) unsupported opinions, right? Qu'ils mangent de la brioche!
My opinions were always supported (the stat sheet didn't change), you just needed me to spell it out to you.
This lovely bit of patronizing smugness is surprisingly on-topic. You do your community proud, Sir!
I'm just having some fun - I really mean well by this.

The Edina fan in me get's a little defensive when people nit-pick out of spite. Those Edina kids played amazing hockey and deserve all the credit for being the best, and people immediately run to their computers to open a discussion board about how they don't like the way they celebrated. If you check the photo galleries online, 9 out of 10 photos (mid-game and post-game) show the kids celebrating together and embracing as a team. It just seems like some people work too hard to find something to criticize about the team when they could just be happy for those kids.

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:38 pm

green4 wrote: I had no problem with it what so ever. You act as if there not aloud to celebrate at all. Nanne's first goal was indeed off the back of the boards but it was also an extremely mild celebration. He put his hands up in the air and his teammates came around to hug him. Its the first goal of the tournament for the team and you want them to not celebrate at all?
The second goal nanne had was indeed off the Stillwater player but yet again a pretty mild mannered celebration. He went over to the glass skated into it with his body and hugged his teammates.
The 3rd one Malmquist pumped his arms a few times and hugged his teammates. He was obviously jacked up because they had scored a goal less than 2 minutes into the state semi final game, regardless that the eagan player knocked it in he created a great play and has the right to celebrate.
None of those three celebrations were extreme I thought, though Nanne in the Stillwater game did have some "individual" celebrations later on.

It's easy for you to make these things sound bad and roll your eyes :roll: When you type some of this stuff especially when its about Edina but I can do the same for Eagan. How about when Wolff had that individual celebration when his team tried to hug him when he didn't even score?
Obviously I don't blame him for that because he probably thought he did score. A big goal too, to take a 1-0 lead in the final seconds of the 2nd period.

Maybe these kids just get excited when there team scores?
Always with the persecution complex, you Edina fans. :roll: Did I really need to qualify my comments with the statement that I would have rolled my eyes just as much if the celly-brants were wearing different sweaters? I was using those specific plays as examples because somebody upthread was basing their arguments solely on Edina's championship game cellys.

For the record, I was rooting for Edina to win Saturday night. This rare event required an opponent to surpass a really high "hold your nose" threshold, but Lakeville North's Tourney dives easily cleared that bar.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:12 pm

Way back on page 1 I pointed out this celly thing was not unique to Edina but somehow some of you green backers have concluded that this is some sort of attack on Edina. ITS NOT ALWAYS ABOUT YOU! And you wonder why people sometimes don't care for the attitude? Great team, great program, be proud and maybe a little less sensitive!

cake83

Post by cake83 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:26 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:Way back on page 1 I pointed out this celly thing was not unique to Edina but somehow some of you green backers have concluded that this is some sort of attack on Edina. ITS NOT ALWAYS ABOUT YOU! And you wonder why people sometimes don't care for the attitude? Great team, great program, be proud and maybe a little less sensitive!
If you go "way back to page 1" like you suggest, you can see that this whole thread was started with the lines "Congrats to the Hornets. You played great. It's easy to see why folks don't like you. Show just a bit of humility when you score and you're five goals ahead." In what way am I or anyone else out of line for talking about Edina in this forum topic... that was the intent of the original poster, wasn't it?

It's fine if you want to cry about celebrations being a problem state-wide, but don't be surprised if someone chooses to have the conversation that this post was originally starting. Your advise to be "a little less sensitive" is ironic when you consider your outburst in relation to the original post.

EHSHack

Post by EHSHack » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:02 pm

Edina won the State Championship, making them the best high school team in the country. They can celebrate however they want.
Go Hounds.

skiumah

Re: fugly way to end it

Post by skiumah » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:05 pm

southpaw wrote:The coaching staff for both teams should hold themselves accountable for their player's behavior whether it's cellying a 5 goal lead or whacking a player for a nicely finished check. Not to mention the sad attempts to draw penalties from North. Saturday night's game was sad to watch in regard to the lack of respect for each team. Is this really what high school hockey has come to? :?: :?: :?:
Agree 100%.

This pretty much sums it up:
“You want kids who have an edge but are under control,” Giles said. “It’s a real fine line. Sometimes they step over the line but not by too much. You want them emotionally involved in the game and it’s better to have to tone guys down that to have to get them going.”

SouthernMinnFan

Post by SouthernMinnFan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:19 am

EHSHack wrote:Edina won the State Championship, making them the best high school team in the country.
You say this like it is fact. You have no way of knowing if they are the best team in the country.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:43 am

SouthernMinnFan wrote:
EHSHack wrote:Edina won the State Championship, making them the best high school team in the country.
You say this like it is fact. You have no way of knowing if they are the best team in the country.
You say this like it is a fact. You have no way of knowing if they are not the best team in the country.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

SouthernMinnFan

Post by SouthernMinnFan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:51 am

:lol: thank you i needed a laugh this morning

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:19 am

I am still giggling about somebody using humility and Edina in the same sentence.

cake83

Post by cake83 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:43 am

Winter is Coming wrote:I am still giggling about somebody using humility and Edina in the same sentence.
As an Edina fan, I have to admit that you have a point :D

In all honesty though, it's been my experience that the players are typically well mannered and far more humble than the parents and average fan (myself included).

I can totally understand why people want to see Edina fall and I enjoy the fun of rivalries and trash talk. I think most people are well intentioned and just having fun. My only reminder would be that, for whatever team you are trashing or rooting against, it's important to remember that it's just a group of kids on the ice playing a game they love.

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:44 am

Probably ok since most Edina people are still giggling about some thinking that Lakeville could beat Edina in a game at Xcel Center in March....

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:16 am

cake83 wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:I am still giggling about somebody using humility and Edina in the same sentence.

In all honesty though, it's been my experience that the players are typically well mannered and far more humble than the parents and average fan (myself included).

I can totally understand why people want to see Edina fall and I enjoy the fun of rivalries and trash talk. I think most people are well intentioned and just having fun. My only reminder would be that, for whatever team you are trashing or rooting against, it's important to remember that it's just a group of kids on the ice playing a game they love.
Trust me when I say you are the envy of just about every hockey community in MN, if not the U.S. That is why the hate. But we'd all like to be you. Some won't admit it, but its true.

Frost14

Post by Frost14 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:33 pm

I have never been an Edina fan, but you have to admit these kids are talented and are fun to watch, celly or not!! Lakeville North should be ashamed at how they acted!! They FINALLY get to a championship game, and this is how they act?? Sad attempts to draw penalties, and the pathetic display by the Poehling brothers, if they cant keep up with Edina, how will they manage at SCS??

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:41 pm

Mite-dad wrote:
cake83 wrote:

Trust me when I say you are the envy of just about every hockey community in MN, if not the U.S. That is why the hate. But we'd all like to be you. Some won't admit it, but its true.
Speak for yourself.

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:31 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Probably ok since most Edina people are still giggling about some thinking that Lakeville could beat Edina in a game at Xcel Center in March....
Classic post ~ maybe the best of 2014 tournament posts! Well played sir, well played. =D>

RailingWizardofOZ

Post by RailingWizardofOZ » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:49 am

We’ve all debated the various events during the game over the last few days, but I would like some insight from someone that was at the game on what transpired after the game ended. I was embarrassed to watch the hand shake at the end of the game and don’t even have a horse in the race. Also, what I could see on TV was the LN players going up to receive their All Tournament medals and trophy with their helmets on, making the presenters hand them the medal rather than being able to place them around their neck. When it came time for their 2nd place medals, I finally notice one of the coaches walking behind them telling them to take their helmets off before they went up. What I couldn’t see is if the Edina players went up to shake their hands or not. I could definitely tell that LN never went up when Edina received theirs, and I am curious when exactly LN left the ice as you could see when the camera zoomed out after they received their trophy that LN was not on the ice. So can anybody that was in attendance share when LN left the ice and if either team attempted to shake the others hand when they received their medals like we have always seen at the tournament for years? Thanks

falconeer

Post by falconeer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:19 am

"So can anybody that was in attendance share when LN left the ice"

Lakeville North left the ice 5 minutes into the second period at which time the Charlestown Cheifs came out to finish the game.

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:27 am

RE Handshake: The only one I saw who kept his glove on was #4. Eventually, he took it off about mid-way through after an Edina player gave him a look back after he passed him, almost like a look that said "grow up."

Regarding players of the other team skating up to them when they receive their medal, I personally could care less if that occurs.

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:27 am

falconeer wrote:"So can anybody that was in attendance share when LN left the ice"

Lakeville North left the ice 5 minutes into the second period at which time the Charlestown Cheifs came out to finish the game.
ZING!!!! :D

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:35 pm

RailingWizardofOZ wrote:We’ve all debated the various events during the game over the last few days, but I would like some insight from someone that was at the game on what transpired after the game ended. I was embarrassed to watch the hand shake at the end of the game and don’t even have a horse in the race. Also, what I could see on TV was the LN players going up to receive their All Tournament medals and trophy with their helmets on, making the presenters hand them the medal rather than being able to place them around their neck. When it came time for their 2nd place medals, I finally notice one of the coaches walking behind them telling them to take their helmets off before they went up. What I couldn’t see is if the Edina players went up to shake their hands or not. I could definitely tell that LN never went up when Edina received theirs, and I am curious when exactly LN left the ice as you could see when the camera zoomed out after they received their trophy that LN was not on the ice. So can anybody that was in attendance share when LN left the ice and if either team attempted to shake the others hand when they received their medals like we have always seen at the tournament for years? Thanks
I personally don't care for the handshake after every player receives his medal. Seems a little contrived. I prefer respectfully shaking hands after the game and sharing a' nice game' , "good luck" whatever.
Also at these televised games there are lots of cords and mats on the ice so I wonder if the kids are encouraged not to do the medal handshake.

SouthernMinnFan

Post by SouthernMinnFan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:51 pm

If you go through the handshake line with your gloves off and shaking their hands telling them good game you do not need to go shake their hand again when they get their medal. Just stand on your respective blue line and show respect by standing at attention. I do get upset when even youth teams go through handshake lines with their gloves on. I always make kids on teams i have coached take their gloves off and be respectful. Speaking of low class though I have seen teams led by their coach leave the ice and refuse to shake the hands of the opposing team after a loss. Might have been one of the lowest forms of sportsmanship I have ever seen.

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:32 pm

RailingWizardofOZ wrote:What I couldn’t see is if the Edina players went up to shake their hands or not.
The first couple LN players got a handshake from an Edina player. Then it stopped - as though someone told them to stop, or they decided on their own - not sure.

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:44 pm

Bluewhitefan wrote:
RailingWizardofOZ wrote:What I couldn’t see is if the Edina players went up to shake their hands or not.
The first couple LN players got a handshake from an Edina player. Then it stopped - as though someone told them to stop, or they decided on their own - not sure.
Exact same thing happened during the 3rd place 2A award ceremony. Since there wasn't any of the diving/dirty play/questionable sportsmanship that you saw in the game that followed, I'm putting money on somebody from MSHSL quietly asking the EP players that were all lined up to shake hands to stop.

Maybe out of some misguided fear that it would slow down the medal presentation too much?