Mr Hockey 2015

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
Sats81
Posts: 2733
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Mr Hockey 2015

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:15 pm

With Wahlin leaving to play in the USHL next year it opens the door for a lot of players. Early list feel free to add: in no particular order....

1) Brock Boeser, Burnsville (if he doesn't leave to USHL has to be front runner)
2) Matthew Freytag, Wayzata
3) Nick Poehling, LN
4) Jack Poehling, LN
5) Tommy Novak, STA (will he return?)
6) Dylan Malmquist, Edina (does he come back to help cake go for 3-peat?)
7) Kobe Roth, Warroad
8) Jared Bethune, Warroad
9) Dixon Bowen, EGF

Houndhockey
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Re: Mr Hockey 2015

Post by Houndhockey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Sats81 wrote:With Wahlin leaving to play in the USHL next year it opens the door for a lot of players. Early list feel free to add: in no particular order....

1) Brock Boeser, Burnsville (if he doesn't leave to USHL has to be front runner)
2) Matthew Freytag, Wayzata
3) Nick Poehling, LN
4) Jack Poehling, LN
5) Tommy Novak, STA (will he return?)
6) Dylan Malmquist, Edina (does he come back to help cake go for 3-peat?)
7) Kobe Roth, Warroad
8) Jared Bethune, Warroad
9) Dixon Bowen, EGF
Is Wahlin leaving a for sure?

The Exiled One
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Re: Mr Hockey 2015

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:24 pm

Houndhockey wrote:Is Wahlin leaving a for sure?
And apparently Tom Novak as well. Either would have been the frontrunner.

Others may include:

Tye Ausmus-D-East Grand Forks
Jake Jaremko-F-Elk River
Christiano Versich-F-St. Thomas
Griffin Slightham-D-Rochester Lourdes
Ben Newhouse-D-Benilde
Seamus Donohue-D-St. Thomas
Jason Krych-D-Totino-Grace
Lucas Gillett-F-Rosemount
Colin Gallagher-D-Sibley
Mark Kaske-F-Benilde
John Peterson-F-Holy Family
Chase Jungels-F-Benilde
Peter Tufto-F-St. Thomas
Sam Franta-D-Maple Grove
Jack Ahcan-D-Burnsville

(Help from this list.)
Last edited by The Exiled One on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hockey922
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:02 am

Post by Hockey922 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:27 pm

I personally don't think the poehlings should be top 10. Good players, but not Mr. Hockey good.

The Exiled One
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:37 pm

Hockey922 wrote:I personally don't think the poehlings should be top 10. Good players, but not Mr. Hockey good.
It really kind of depends who sticks around though. Avery Peterson is a phenomenal player and a deserving winner, but would he have been able to fend off Sheehy, Kuhlman, Poganski, Hurley, Warner, Kivihalme, Dougherty, Hillman, and Pionk if they had all decide to stick around? That's nine potential candidates who left. If nine of the top candidates leave this off-season, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume the Poehling twins will crack the top ten.

Sats81
Posts: 2733
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:39 pm

Hockey922 wrote:I personally don't think the poehlings should be top 10. Good players, but not Mr. Hockey good.
Pretty certain Bob Motzko and a lot of scouts/recruiters will tell you otherwise....just curious: how many times have you honestly watched them play other than the tourney last week?

Sats81
Posts: 2733
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:40 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
Hockey922 wrote:I personally don't think the poehlings should be top 10. Good players, but not Mr. Hockey good.
It really kind of depends who sticks around though. Avery Peterson is a phenomenal player and a deserving winner, but would he have been able to fend off Sheehy, Kuhlman, Poganski, Hurley, Warner, Kivihalme, Dougherty, Hillman, and Pionk if they had all decide to stick around? That's nine potential candidates who left. If nine of the top candidates leave this off-season, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume the Poehling twins will crack the top ten.

And I don't think it's unreasonable to assume they make the top 10 if everyone stayed including Wahlin, Boeser and Novak

OneMoreYear
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Mr Hockey 2015

Post by OneMoreYear » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:19 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
Houndhockey wrote:Is Wahlin leaving a for sure?
And apparently Tom Novak as well. Either would have been the frontrunner.

Others may include:

Tye Ausmus-D-East Grand Forks
Jake Jaremko-F-Elk River
Christiano Versich-F-St. Thomas
Griffin Slightham-D-Rochester Lourdes
Zachary Driscoll-G-Eastview
Ben Newhouse-D-Benilde
Seamus Donohue-D-St. Thomas
Jason Krych-D-Totino-Grace
Lucas Gillett-F-Rosemount
Colin Gallagher-D-Sibley
Mark Kaske-F-Benilde
John Peterson-F-Holy Family
Chase Jungels-F-Benilde
Peter Tufto-F-St. Thomas
Sam Franta-D-Maple Grove
Jack Ahcan-D-Burnsville

(Help from this list.)
No goalies allowed! But you could slide Driscoll to Brimsek candidate as he, Lindgren, Ahrens, would be in that discussion

Tenoverpar
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:40 pm

CDH

Post by Tenoverpar » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:22 pm

No love for CDH but Nick Reis was 2nd in the SEC in scoring behind Wahlin and brings back his center with him...CDH gets no love but they had a fairly solid year and Reis' scoring drives this team and he will or should be at least on the fringe of possible players that could end up in Mr Hockey conversation next winter.

WestMetro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Guessing ahead as to who will leave and who wont, Novak or Bethune would be a couple good bets for 2015 Mr. Hockey

hockeyoldtimer
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:47 pm

Post by hockeyoldtimer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:26 am

Nick Reis is a great player and should be considered.
I agree with Boeser, Novak, Versich, Krych, Ausmus. Would add Tweten, Bethune, Freytag, Malmquist, and Roth.

The Exiled One
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Re: Mr Hockey 2015

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Updated accounting for known departures in no particular order...

Nick Poehling-F-Lakeville North
Jack Poehling-F-Lakeville North
Dylan Malmquist-F-Edina
Kobe Roth-F-Warroad
Jared Bethune-F-Warroad
Dixon Bowen-F-East Grand Forks
Jake Jaremko-F-Elk River
Christiano Versich-F-St. Thomas
Griffin Slightham-D-Rochester Lourdes
Ben Newhouse-D-Benilde
Seamus Donohue-D-St. Thomas
Lucas Gillett-F-Rosemount
Colin Gallagher-D-Sibley
Mark Kaske-F-Benilde
John Peterson-F-Holy Family
Chase Jungels-F-Benilde
Peter Tufto-F-St. Thomas
Sam Franta-D-Maple Grove
Jack Ahcan-D-Burnsville
Nick Reis-F-Cretin-Derham Hall
Jack Sadek-D-Lakeville North
Jack McNeely-D-Lakeville North
Jacob Olson-D-Hill-Murray

Elite League results will give us our frontrunners, though I think you could pencil in Bethune and Malmquist right now.
Last edited by The Exiled One on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

kniven
Posts: 2576
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Mr Hockey 2015

Post by kniven » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Sats81 wrote:With Wahlin leaving to play in the USHL next year it opens the door for a lot of players. Early list feel free to add: in no particular order....

1) Brock Boeser, Burnsville (if he doesn't leave to USHL has to be front runner)
2) Matthew Freytag, Wayzata
3) Nick Poehling, LN
4) Jack Poehling, LN
5) Tommy Novak, STA (will he return?)
6) Dylan Malmquist, Edina (does he come back to help cake go for 3-peat?)
7) Kobe Roth, Warroad
8) Jared Bethune, Warroad
9) Dixon Bowen, EGF

Koby Bender, Cloquet

wbmd
Posts: 3810
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:51 pm

Re: Mr Hockey 2015

Post by wbmd » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Houndhockey wrote:
Sats81 wrote:With Wahlin leaving to play in the USHL next year it opens the door for a lot of players. Early list feel free to add: in no particular order....

1) Brock Boeser, Burnsville (if he doesn't leave to USHL has to be front runner)
2) Matthew Freytag, Wayzata
3) Nick Poehling, LN
4) Jack Poehling, LN
5) Tommy Novak, STA (will he return?)
6) Dylan Malmquist, Edina (does he come back to help cake go for 3-peat?)
7) Kobe Roth, Warroad
8) Jared Bethune, Warroad
9) Dixon Bowen, EGF
Is Wahlin leaving a for sure?
Wahlin wants to return to White Bear, however, his dad is making him play in the USHL. Somebody needs to kick his dad out of the house on the east side of St. Paul.

puckbreath
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Re: Mr Hockey 2015

Post by puckbreath » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:07 pm

wbmd wrote:
Houndhockey wrote:
Sats81 wrote:With Wahlin leaving to play in the USHL next year it opens the door for a lot of players. Early list feel free to add: in no particular order....

1) Brock Boeser, Burnsville (if he doesn't leave to USHL has to be front runner)
2) Matthew Freytag, Wayzata
3) Nick Poehling, LN
4) Jack Poehling, LN
5) Tommy Novak, STA (will he return?)
6) Dylan Malmquist, Edina (does he come back to help cake go for 3-peat?)
7) Kobe Roth, Warroad
8) Jared Bethune, Warroad
9) Dixon Bowen, EGF
Is Wahlin leaving a for sure?
Wahlin wants to return to White Bear, however, his dad is making him play in the USHL. Somebody needs to kick his dad out of the house on the east side of St. Paul.
Gee, I've always thought it was the kid's making the "leave hs early" decisions...... :wink:

puckbreath
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Post by puckbreath » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:09 pm

With all due respect to the kid, I would hope Bethune doesn't get it.

He's not even from the state.

Or country for that matter :lol:

wbmd
Posts: 3810
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:51 pm

Re: Mr Hockey 2015

Post by wbmd » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:17 pm

puckbreath wrote:
wbmd wrote:
Houndhockey wrote:
Sats81 wrote:With Wahlin leaving to play in the USHL next year it opens the door for a lot of players. Early list feel free to add: in no particular order....

1) Brock Boeser, Burnsville (if he doesn't leave to USHL has to be front runner)
2) Matthew Freytag, Wayzata
3) Nick Poehling, LN
4) Jack Poehling, LN
5) Tommy Novak, STA (will he return?)
6) Dylan Malmquist, Edina (does he come back to help cake go for 3-peat?)
7) Kobe Roth, Warroad
8) Jared Bethune, Warroad
9) Dixon Bowen, EGF
Is Wahlin leaving a for sure?
Wahlin wants to return to White Bear, however, his dad is making him play in the USHL. Somebody needs to kick his dad out of the house on the east side of St. Paul.
Gee, I've always thought it was the kid's making the "leave hs early" decisions...... :wink:
Not in this particular situation. Unfortunately, his dad won't let him play anymore high school hockey - as badly as Jake wants to return to White Bear.

puckbreath
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Re: Mr Hockey 2015

Post by puckbreath » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:41 pm

wbmd wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
wbmd wrote:
Houndhockey wrote:
Sats81 wrote:With Wahlin leaving to play in the USHL next year it opens the door for a lot of players. Early list feel free to add: in no particular order....

1) Brock Boeser, Burnsville (if he doesn't leave to USHL has to be front runner)
2) Matthew Freytag, Wayzata
3) Nick Poehling, LN
4) Jack Poehling, LN
5) Tommy Novak, STA (will he return?)
6) Dylan Malmquist, Edina (does he come back to help cake go for 3-peat?)
7) Kobe Roth, Warroad
8) Jared Bethune, Warroad
9) Dixon Bowen, EGF
Is Wahlin leaving a for sure?
Wahlin wants to return to White Bear, however, his dad is making him play in the USHL. Somebody needs to kick his dad out of the house on the east side of St. Paul.
Gee, I've always thought it was the kid's making the "leave hs early" decisions...... :wink:
Not in this particular situation. Unfortunately, his dad won't let him play anymore high school hockey - as badly as Jake wants to return to White Bear.
Yeah, I know.

In my book, this scenario (parents making the decision) is more the rule than the exception.

WestMetro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:50 pm

I will stick to my March 11 prediction, Bethune or Novak.

Now that Novak is out and Bethune is still in, my sense would be there might be a split vote on any metro selection and therefore Bethunes chances have increased. Unless there is a non citizen eligibility issue.

In that case, it probably depends on the state tourney winner and individual performance, likely Edina Malmquist or LVN one of Poehlings

Wblhcky2424
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:53 am

Re: Mr Hockey 2015

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:09 am

wbmd wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
wbmd wrote:
Houndhockey wrote:
Sats81 wrote:With Wahlin leaving to play in the USHL next year it opens the door for a lot of players. Early list feel free to add: in no particular order....

1) Brock Boeser, Burnsville (if he doesn't leave to USHL has to be front runner)
2) Matthew Freytag, Wayzata
3) Nick Poehling, LN
4) Jack Poehling, LN
5) Tommy Novak, STA (will he return?)
6) Dylan Malmquist, Edina (does he come back to help cake go for 3-peat?)
7) Kobe Roth, Warroad
8) Jared Bethune, Warroad
9) Dixon Bowen, EGF
Is Wahlin leaving a for sure?
Wahlin wants to return to White Bear, however, his dad is making him play in the USHL. Somebody needs to kick his dad out of the house on the east side of St. Paul.
Gee, I've always thought it was the kid's making the "leave hs early" decisions...... :wink:
Not in this particular situation. Unfortunately, his dad won't let him play anymore high school hockey - as badly as Jake wants to return to White Bear.
Jerry is one crazy guy

LivinDaDream
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: Mr Hockey 2015

Post by LivinDaDream » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:39 am

The Exiled One wrote:Updated accounting for known departures in no particular order...

Nick Poehling-F-Lakeville North
Jack Poehling-F-Lakeville North
Dylan Malmquist-F-Edina
Kobe Roth-F-Warroad
Jared Bethune-F-Warroad
Dixon Bowen-F-East Grand Forks
Jake Jaremko-F-Elk River
Christiano Versich-F-St. Thomas
Griffin Slightham-D-Rochester Lourdes
Ben Newhouse-D-Benilde
Seamus Donohue-D-St. Thomas
Lucas Gillett-F-Rosemount
Colin Gallagher-D-Sibley
Mark Kaske-F-Benilde
John Peterson-F-Holy Family
Chase Jungels-F-Benilde
Peter Tufto-F-St. Thomas
Sam Franta-D-Maple Grove
Jack Ahcan-D-Burnsville

Elite League results will give us our frontrunners, though I think you could pencil in Bethune and Malmquist right now.
The above are all known departures - not playing this HS hockey this upcoming year?

The Exiled One
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Re: Mr Hockey 2015

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 am

LivinDaDream wrote:The above are all known departures - not playing this HS hockey this upcoming year?
No, just the opposite. These are the Mr. Hockey candidates who ARE NOT known to be leaving.

The Exiled One
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Re: Mr Hockey 2015

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:28 am

kniven wrote:Koby Bender, Cloquet
Only a junior, not eligible.

LivinDaDream
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: Mr Hockey 2015

Post by LivinDaDream » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:51 am

The Exiled One wrote:
LivinDaDream wrote:The above are all known departures - not playing this HS hockey this upcoming year?
No, just the opposite. These are the Mr. Hockey candidates who ARE NOT known to be leaving.
Got it - thanks Exiled.

Bonin2121
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Post by Bonin2121 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:46 pm

List looks very weak to me...

Post Reply