Mr Hockey 2015

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:52 pm

karl(east) wrote:I'll put out a list later today or tomorrow, for anyone who's interested.
I look forward to it.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:47 pm

OK, Ill stick my neck out on the list of nominees. As I've said, its an impossible year to predict what the voters will do, and for what reasons.

Bowen
Donahue
Giller
Jaremko
Kero
Malmquist
McNeeley
J Olsen
N Poehling
Versich

Winner: Jaremko, close second Malmquist.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:10 pm

I have nothing against the LN possibilities but I really don't see the hand wringing over it either way. None of them will win it.

First of all, I don't think any of them are the best candidate to win.

Second, it is pretty tough for a voter to focus on one guy when the voter can't decisively figure out who is even the best candidate on a specific team.

We know who the best senior is on Elk River... We know who the best senior is on Edina... and so on. But you could make varying arguments about who that could be for Lakeville North.

Like most seasons in recent years... we wouldn't even be debating many of these names if it hadn't been for departures to other leagues. If they hadn't gone to junior hockey, this entire discussion would revolve around Boeser and Novak. Everybody else would be far off in the distance as a candidate. This award has seriously lost its luster.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:32 am

For me it is still a pretigious award. Avery Peterson stayed for his senior year, Mahlmquist and Jaremko are close to the same class as Boeser and Novak.

Tenoverpar

Post by Tenoverpar » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:44 am

"This award has seriously lost its luster"

Gopherblog..you're a pessimist.

The players that are in contention for this award would still be in the conversation regardless and bring zero loss of prestige to Mr. Hockey. It's easy in this game to look behind you and say the well's empty, but guess what, there's always next years team and the next captain and the next goal scorer. I'm certain when Eagan went to state a few years ago they looked behind them and said..wow..they're not going anywhere but guess what, the next class did just fine, same for this years Hill team minus thier 2014 studs and WBL minus Wahlin... Anyone who sits here and pounds the game into submission with rhetoric that the MSHSL is down because of the 30+ guys that left...guess what...there's 1200+ guys that are playing for their school. The 30 guys that left...10 will play in college, 1 or 2 may make it to the show...get off your preacher stand and just enjoy the game and the kids playing it

Tenoverpar

Post by Tenoverpar » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:44 am

"This award has seriously lost its luster"

The players that are in contention for this award would still be in the conversation regardless and bring zero loss of prestige to Mr. Hockey. It's easy in this game to look behind you and say the well's empty, but guess what, there's always next years team and the next captain and the next goal scorer. I'm certain when Eagan went to state a few years ago they looked behind them and said..wow..they're not going anywhere but guess what, the next class did just fine, same for this years Hill team minus thier 2014 studs and WBL minus Wahlin... Anyone who sits here and pounds the game into submission with rhetoric that the MSHSL is down because of the 30+ guys that left...guess what...there's 1200+ guys that are playing for their school. The 30 guys that left...10 will play in college, 1 or 2 may make it to the show...get off your preacher stand and just enjoy the game and the kids playing it

The Bone

Post by The Bone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:56 am

Perfect Tenoverpar, you nailed it dead center!

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:27 am

Here's my list for you all to fight about:

http://apatientcycle.com/2015/01/28/my- ... finalists/

As for the "lost its luster" comment, I think it's mostly a matter of perspective. If you watch HS hockey as a college fan with an eye to future recruits, of course Mr. Hockey is going to look a little diminished when the top couple candidates leave the state. On the other hand, some of us have come of age watching high school hockey in the early departure era (East lost 3 in my 4 years there), so this is just reality for us. Obviously I'd love it if all the top players stuck around, which is why I'm all on board for the Tier I experiment, but I'm not going to moan about the ones who do leave. There's still plenty of talent here, and HS hockey still has its own particular luster that's only partly related to the presence of top-end recruits.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:35 am

karl(east) wrote:Here's my list for you all to fight about:

As for the "lost its luster" comment, I think it's mostly a matter of perspective. If you watch HS hockey as a college fan with an eye to future recruits, of course Mr. Hockey is going to look a little diminished when the top couple candidates leave the state. On the other hand, some of us have come of age watching high school hockey in the early departure era (East lost 3 in my 4 years there), so this is just reality for us. Obviously I'd love it if all the top players stuck around, which is why I'm all on board for the Tier I experiment, but I'm not going to moan about the ones who do leave. There's still plenty of talent here, and HS hockey still has its own particular luster that's only partly related to the presence of top-end recruits.
Good stuff

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:57 pm

Tenoverpar wrote:"This award has seriously lost its luster"

Maybe Mr. Hockey should go the best Junior in the state.

Just kidding!

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:18 pm

An excellent list also!

karl(east)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's my list for you all to fight about:

Just Checking

Post by Just Checking » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:18 pm

Sats81 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Here's my list for you all to fight about:

Good stuff
I agree. Good stuff, well thought out.

I noticed you said who you would nominate, I posted my "who should" be nominated IMO earlier in the thread.

Versich is dynamic but Tufto is the guy you want on this list if you are going with 1 STA forward. He does it all better than Versich just not as flashy. Won't get into all the details. They are both deserving though.

I would go with at least 4 D this year. I put in 5 on my list. There are a bunch of really good ones. Considering that only half as many positions are Defense, roughly 6:12 ratio. The talent this year leans toward the D.. IMDOA

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:11 pm

Gopher Blog

Lets not forget Reggie Lutz from Elk River, almost always neglected in the conversation due to JJ. But hes got 41 points already!

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:28 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:I have nothing against the LN possibilities but I really don't see the hand wringing over it either way. None of them will win it.

First of all, I don't think any of them are the best candidate to win.

Second, it is pretty tough for a voter to focus on one guy when the voter can't decisively figure out who is even the best candidate on a specific team.

We know who the best senior is on Elk River... We know who the best senior is on Edina... and so on. But you could make varying arguments about who that could be for Lakeville North.

Like most seasons in recent years... we wouldn't even be debating many of these names if it hadn't been for departures to other leagues. If they hadn't gone to junior hockey, this entire discussion would revolve around Boeser and Novak. Everybody else would be far off in the distance as a candidate. This award has seriously lost its luster.
Nailed it! Nothing against HS hockey,but times are changing and the tournament is also losing it's luster. Not sure how many players have left, but it has taken it's toll on high school hcokey. There still maybe excitement, but the quality has gone done.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:27 pm

mulefarm wrote:Nailed it! Nothing against HS hockey,but times are changing and the tournament is also losing it's luster. Not sure how many players have left, but it has taken it's toll on high school hcokey. There still maybe excitement, but the quality has gone done.
I still think the quality of the teams has gone up over the past 20-15-10 years despite the early departures. Even without those choosing to leave early Minnesota still produces more D1 hockey players than any other sport here, by far. It's just that today the vast majority of Minnesota players do not go straight from high school to D1 - but that's not something unique to Minnesota.

As to the State Tourney losing some of its luster, this is undoubtedly true. But I don't believe this has much if anything to do with the relatively few players choosing to leave early. There are broader factors at work here, and attendance at high school games in general is way down from what it used to be. Case in point: when my brother played for Henry Sibley back in the 70's and they faced South St. Paul in a section final, they had to move the game from Wakota to the Civic Center downtown, and they ended up nearly filling the place. Also, compare the attendance levels of the Section 2 and 6 finals double header at Mariucci today vs. just five years ago - no comparison.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:58 am

Okay, here's my prediction for the top ten...

Nick Poehling
Jack Poehling
Dylan Malmquist
Jake Jaremko
Peter Tufto
John Peterson (2/5 - 8:18 am)
Jacob Olson
Dixon Bowen
Jack Ahcan
Ryan Kero

• Sam Wenner is obviously an outlier, but I thought the committee might just give him a nod based on the mind-blowing dominance in stats and importance to his team. He obviously won't have the same potential for post-HS success that the other nine have.

• I went with Tufto over Versich or Broetzman. I can't make a case for leaving out a St. Thomas player, but it's equally difficult to make a case for just two of the three. It's impossible to make a case for all three. So, I'm going with just one of the three, but it wouldn't surprise me if Versich or Broetzman were that one.

• It was difficult to leave out both McNeely and Sadek. I think the committee will have an equally difficult time, but will ultimately come to the same conclusion.

• Yup, I went with both of the Poehling twins. Controversial, but I'm sticking with it.

• I tried to avoid adding Ahcan because Burnsville is so mediocre, because he doesn't have NHL size, and because he's an SCSU recruit (bias). However, no player in AA is more important to his team than Ahcan and he's impossible to ignore in every game he plays, including when he's playing against the other guys on this list.

• Dixon and Kero are the two best seniors in single A and should do very well for themselves post-HS.

• Intriguing omission: Derek Annett from Chaska.

• For me, it still comes down to Malmquist vs. Jaremko. Malmquist has been padding his stats the past few games, but Jaremko will absolutely embarrass ER's next three opponents. IMHO, he'll have the momentum going into the final vote. Edge to Jaremko.

The nominees should be out sometime in the middle of this week.
Last edited by The Exiled One on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:37 am

another good list!

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:55 am

https://twitter.com/MrHockeyAward/statu ... 5831495683
@MrHockeyAward wrote:The @mnwild will officially release the 2015 Mr. Hockey & Frank Brimsek finalists tomorrow Feb 5 - 9 am.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:41 pm

Karl is collecting the bets.

Who'se got the right list?

OK, who'se got 9 out of 10?

OK, how about 8 out of 10?

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:58 pm

WestMetro wrote:Karl is collecting the bets.

Who'se got the right list?

OK, who'se got 9 out of 10?

OK, how about 8 out of 10?
I'm kind of debating whether to switch out Wenner for HF's Peterson. Hmmm....

EDIT: Made the switch
Last edited by The Exiled One on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:14 pm

Jaremko
Malmquist
Bowen
Ahcan
Versich
N. Poehling
J. Poehling
Jacob Olson
Mcneely
Sadek

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Funny XO!

I was thinking about subbing in Jack P for my Jack Mcn

(I see SATS went ahead and put in the whole LVN team! I bet $1 against his list, too many Panthers)

BTW, see my Oct 14 post regarding JP:

WestMetro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:22 pm

Darkhorses: John Peterson, with a great season which is definitely possible,, and if committee wants to give a nod to a "recently developing" program.

Imported from MN

Post by Imported from MN » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:37 pm

The Exiled One wrote:Okay, here's my prediction for the top ten...

Nick Poehling
Jack Poehling
Dylan Malmquist
Jake Jaremko
Peter Tufto
Sam Wenner
Jacob Olson
Dixon Bowen
Jack Ahcan
Ryan Kero

• Sam Wenner is obviously an outlier, but I thought the committee might just give him a nod based on the mind-blowing dominance in stats and importance to his team. He obviously won't have the same potential for post-HS success that the other nine have.

• I went with Tufto over Versich or Broetzman. I can't make a case for leaving out a St. Thomas player, but it's equally difficult to make a case for just two of the three. It's impossible to make a case for all three. So, I'm going with just one of the three, but it wouldn't surprise me if Versich or Broetzman were that one.

• It was difficult to leave out both McNeely and Sadek. I think the committee will have an equally difficult time, but will ultimately come to the same conclusion.

• Yup, I went with both of the Poehling twins. Controversial, but I'm sticking with it.

• I tried to avoid adding Ahcan because Burnsville is so mediocre, because he doesn't have NHL size, and because he's an SCSU recruit (bias). However, no player in AA is more important to his team than Ahcan and he's impossible to ignore in every game he plays, including when he's playing against the other guys on this list.

• Dixon and Kero are the two best seniors in single A and should do very well for themselves post-HS.

• Intriguing omission: Derek Annett from Chaska.

• For me, it still comes down to Malmquist vs. Jaremko. Malmquist has been padding his stats the past few games, but Jaremko will absolutely embarrass ER's next three opponents. IMHO, he'll have the momentum going into the final vote. Edge to Jaremko.

The nominees should be out sometime in the middle of this week.
Bowen was hurt last night during EGF's game in Moorhead. I have heard it is a possible broken collar bone or separated shoulder. Getting it looked at further today. Heck of a player and a good kid. I hope he isn't out for too long.

If he is out for sections I don't like his chances at Mr. Hockey. Consequently if he is out for sections I don't know how I like EGF's chances at getting back to the X. They were already thin at D lost a player last week to a broken arm and had to move GL back to D. Had to move GL back to forward when Bowen went down. They are going to be extremely thin on the back end going into sections..

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:04 am

Official Release

D - Jack Achan (Burnsville) - St. Cloud State
D - Will Borgen (Moorhead) - St. Cloud State
F - Dixon Bowen (East Grand Forks) - North Dakota
F - Jake Jaremko (Elk River) - Minnesota State Mankato
F - Dylan Malmquist (Edina) - Notre Dame
F - Jack Poehling (Lakeville North) - St. Cloud State
F - Nick Poehling (Lakeville North) - St. Cloud State
D - Jack Sadek (Lakeville North) - Minnesota
F - Peter Tufto (Saint Thomas Academy)
F - Christiano Versich (Saint Thomas Academy) - Colorado College

nahc

Post by nahc » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:19 am

I like Sats81 list although I'd leave out both Sadek and McNeely.