Mr Hockey 2015

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Cant argue with his 10 any more than your 10, cept Brodzinski

I bet he had hard time narrowing down to 10, just like you must have, because of the concentration of talent on certain top teams and also the unusual concentration of top quality Dmen

I see he nominated 5 Ds, you had 4. Could conceivably be 6 I suppose.
I wonder what was the previous high nomination number of Ds?

Focusing back to the likely winner, sticking with Bowen first, Jaremko second. Although by Christmas I could flip Jaremko to first if Elk gets off to a good start.

Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:06 pm

Dilks has never been wrong in his prediction of the winner. Think he'll get this one right, too.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:19 pm

Rereading Dilks Twitter, was he officially predicting Malmquist to win, since he put him #1 on his list?

One thing Dilks has wrong - no way Malmquist will catch Dan Carlson for Edinas all time scoring record. He would need about 80 points this season. Last big school guy to get over 80 was Kloos I think, with much easier schedule. Besse had a couple 70 seasons I think, again with easier schedule. Malmquists best was mid 40s so far. He would do well to beat that, which could put him in contention for 2nd on Edina all time list.

green4

Post by green4 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:35 pm

WestMetro wrote:Rereading Dilks Twitter, was he officially predicting Malmquist to win, since he put him #1 on his list?

One thing Dilks has wrong - no way Malmquist will catch Dan Carlson for Edinas all time scoring record. He would need about 80 points this season. Last big school guy to get over 80 was Kloos I think, with much easier schedule. Besse had a couple 70 seasons I think, again with easier schedule. Malmquists best was mid 40s so far. He would do well to beat that, which could put him in contention for 2nd on Edina all time list.
Yes Dilks predicted him to win.
Dilks also never said he would break the record, he just said he had a possibility. This is what he said " Malmquist also has the opportunity to become the all-time leading scorer in Edina's illustrious hockey history."

Is it likely that Malmquist brakes the record? I would say no. Is it possible? I would say yes. 80 would be tough but its not an absurd number.
It really depends how Giles divides up the lines. He has rolled three even lines ever since the Budish, Lee and Everson teams never got it done. I mean when you have a guy like Keiffer Bellows on your 3rd line getting solid minutes that will take away some of the production from a guy like Malmquist. Perhaps putting Malmquist back on the wing this year instead of at center could help.
I think it will be highly unlikely for him to break it, but who knows, if Giles loads up a line with Bellows (assuming he still comes back) centering Wait and Malmquist, I might give him the chance.

Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:32 am

Malmquist is a man amongst boys in the Minnesota High School game...he's going to drop 90 points and lead Edina to the threepeat.

His picture will be on the front cover of every local press, he will trend on twitter #Malmquisted, his facebook will have to be turned off because he has too many puck bunnies friend requesting him, his skates will be en-goldened, books will be written of his lore, in 2029 mites will attend the Malmquist Hockey Academy formerly North St Paul Community Center Charter formerly Crosby Institute of Technology formerly Bauer Emerson formerly Achiever Academy..etc...etc...etc...

east hockey
Site Admin

Re: f

Post by east hockey » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:55 am

Tenoverpar wrote:Malmquist is a man amongst boys in the Minnesota High School game...he's going to drop 90 points and lead Edina to the threepeat.

His picture will be on the front cover of every local press, he will trend on twitter #Malmquisted, his facebook will have to be turned off because he has too many puck bunnies friend requesting him, his skates will be en-goldened, books will be written of his lore, in 2029 mites will attend the Malmquist Hockey Academy formerly North St Paul Community Center Charter formerly Crosby Institute of Technology formerly Bauer Emerson formerly Achiever Academy..etc...etc...etc...
This gets my vote for post of the month. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

boblee

Scoring

Post by boblee » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:37 am

WestMetro wrote:Rereading Dilks Twitter, was he officially predicting Malmquist to win, since he put him #1 on his list?

Avery Peterson notched 67 last year with a tough schedule and he missed out on potentially 4 games due to losing out early. Never say never.

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:50 pm

green4 wrote:

Dilks also never said he would break the record, he just said he had a possibility. This is what he said " Malmquist also has the opportunity to become the all-time leading scorer in Edina's illustrious hockey history."

Is it likely that Malmquist brakes the record? I would say no. Is it possible? I would say yes. 80 would be tough but its not an absurd number.
It really depends how Giles divides up the lines. He has rolled three even lines ever since the Budish, Lee and Everson teams never got it done. I mean when you have a guy like Keiffer Bellows on your 3rd line getting solid minutes that will take away some of the production from a guy like Malmquist. Perhaps putting Malmquist back on the wing this year instead of at center could help.
I think it will be highly unlikely for him to break it, but who knows, if Giles loads up a line with Bellows (assuming he still comes back) centering Wait and Malmquist, I might give him the chance.
They won the state tournament last year with Malmquist centering Wait and Dornbach. If Malmquist came back to win another state title why mess with what worked well ?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Agree with Green4 and WarmUpBus

Also, parts of Tenoverpar

In all likelihood Edina WILL three peat, in fact perhaps 5 peat.

One of main reasons is they play deep and disciplined team hockey

That's why Malmquist should be satisfied with a realistic goal of potentially 2nd place on all time scoring list. 40-50 points yes, 80 points no.

Truth is, he shouldn't even be thinking about points. I worry that is among things that got between his ears part of last year.

just play the lines like he always did, play disciplined, and do what Giles says. BTW, Malmquist is also a straight A student at EHS Im told.

Agree he has a good shot at Mr Hockey, but all Im saying is don't count out Bowen or Jaremko.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:10 pm

Kloos had 103 his sr year (2011-12) and over 90 I believe his jr year...I definitely would NOT say it was with a "much easier schedule" either as they loaded up pretty good that year scheduling-wise.....(HM, DE, Eagan, Moorhead, BSM, Edina, LN, Burnsville) Really can't get a lot more difficult than that....

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:53 pm

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
green4 wrote:

They won the state tournament last year with Malmquist centering Wait and Dornbach. If Malmquist came back to win another state title why mess with what worked well ?
Never said they should move him from those players, Im saying if he was going to get 80 points the best chance for that to happen would be if they placed their three best offensive players on a line together. Personally I don't think that would be the best option for the team, which is why I don't think Malmquist will get the record.

The most points Malmquist had was his freshman year when they played him with Hurley and Jordahl. The next year they moved Jordahl to the 2nd line for extra depth and Malmquist lost production. This 3rd year Malmquist lost even more production because he was moved to the 2nd line to play with Wait and Dornbach who took some time to adjust.
Yes, they won a state title with him centering them, but Edina also won a title with him at wing playing with the best player on that team. So I'm guessing it really doesn't matter too much where he plays for Edina to be good.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:07 pm

Sats, I suppose if a person wanted to get into the minutia, could go back and compare Kloos vs Malmquist ice time, offensive points per minute, defensive points given, relative goaltending, etc. Anyway, you are making my point for me: Malmquist does not have the pure offensive skill that someone like Kloos had and I don't believe he will get 80 points to break the Edina record But he has been and will be a critical part of a 4 year continuous top winning machine, and therefore certainly in top 3 Mr. Hockey contention, especially since didn't bolt for juniors. But not a slam dunk I don't think.

observer

Post by observer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:14 am

disciplined team hockey
You know your stuff but are off here. Maybe you were just inserting some optimism in hopes the team reads your posts. For years Edina has probably been the least disciplined youth association and high school team in the metro. Taking undisciplined penalties (dumb or not worth the risk) has been their problem for years. Teams know that and it's often the way to beat them (watch them beat themselves).

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:24 am

WestMetro wrote:Sats, I suppose if a person wanted to get into the minutia, could go back and compare Kloos vs Malmquist ice time, offensive points per minute, defensive points given, relative goaltending, etc. Anyway, you are making my point for me: Malmquist does not have the pure offensive skill that someone like Kloos had and I don't believe he will get 80 points to break the Edina record But he has been and will be a critical part of a 4 year continuous top winning machine, and therefore certainly in top 3 Mr. Hockey contention, especially since didn't bolt for juniors. But not a slam dunk I don't think.
And my point was the schedule Kloos and LS had that season vs Malmquist and Edina's this year won't be a "much easier schedule" as you had stated....

hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:20 pm

Sats81 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Sats, I suppose if a person wanted to get into the minutia, could go back and compare Kloos vs Malmquist ice time, offensive points per minute, defensive points given, relative goaltending, etc. Anyway, you are making my point for me: Malmquist does not have the pure offensive skill that someone like Kloos had and I don't believe he will get 80 points to break the Edina record But he has been and will be a critical part of a 4 year continuous top winning machine, and therefore certainly in top 3 Mr. Hockey contention, especially since didn't bolt for juniors. But not a slam dunk I don't think.
And my point was the schedule Kloos and LS had that season vs Malmquist and Edina's this year won't be a "much easier schedule" as you had stated....
Kloos did have 10 points in the first round section game against Winona that year. Malmquist probably won't see any games like that.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:13 pm

Sats-- Suspect Kloos also had more line shifts, minutes, therefore scoring opportunities, easier schedule (Ok, maybe not much much easier), and net easier defensemen and goalies to face. Whenever I saw a Kloos game, seemed like he was always on the ice. Giles always played 3 rotating lines, minimum, 4 usually in February. Also- Malmquist was more of a two way force by Giles design, his junior year in particular, and I suspect this year also . And Giles played him with some younger players for development purposes But again, only the minutia would tell for sure. Anyway, no one is questioning Kloos superior natural offensive talent, certainly in the top few in recent history, Winona points or any other.

Observer--Hornets have had periods of chippiness and undisciplined, just like all the high schoolers. ( Fidler played a wide open game at times). But by no means the worst in the Metro, just last year LV North and Maple Grove were much worse, just to name two.

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:59 pm

observer wrote:
disciplined team hockey
For years Edina has probably been the least disciplined youth association and high school team in the metro. Taking undisciplined penalties (dumb or not worth the risk) has been their problem for years. Teams know that and it's often the way to beat them (watch them beat themselves).
Huh? Way to beat them? How does this have anything to do with the topic at hand? Since they've won 4 of the last 5 PWA/AA titles, 2 out of the last 3 Bantam AA/A titles, and the last 2 HS titles, you might want to find a better way to beat them, since they don't seem to be beating themselves.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:15 pm

hawkhockey wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
Kloos did have 10 points in the first round section game against Winona that year. Malmquist probably won't see any games like that.
Take the 10 pts away from the Winona game...he still puts up 90+ pts 2 years in a row against a very solid schedule....and leads elite league in scoring 2 straight years...

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:19 pm

WestMetro wrote:Sats-- Suspect Kloos also had more line shifts, minutes, therefore scoring opportunities, easier schedule (Ok, maybe not much much easier), and net easier defensemen and goalies to face. Whenever I saw a Kloos game, seemed like he was always on the ice. Giles always played 3 rotating lines, minimum, 4 usually in February. Also- Malmquist was more of a two way force by Giles design, his junior year in particular, and I suspect this year also . And Giles played him with some younger players for development purposes But again, only the minutia would tell for sure. Anyway, no one is questioning Kloos superior natural offensive talent, certainly in the top few in recent history, Winona points or any other.

Observer--Hornets have had periods of chippiness and undisciplined, just like all the high schoolers. ( Fidler played a wide open game at times). But by no means the worst in the Metro, just last year LV North and Maple Grove were much worse, just to name two.
He may have had more shifts, more ice time and was not asked to play a 2 way game like Giles demands of Malmquist, but ONE BIG thing you are missing here is Justin was a MARKED man EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, the entire season. There was NEVER a time when he was on the ice that he wasn't accounted for, or had 2, sometimes 3 guys all over him, yet he still produced. Lastly, the supporting cast he had at LS wasn't exactly Edina caliber. Say what you want about weaker schedule (it wasn't), more ice time, shifts, etc. I don't think i've seen a more impressive HS season offensively speaking, all things considered in the last 15 years.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:30 pm

WestMetro wrote:Sats-- Suspect Kloos also had more line shifts, minutes, therefore scoring opportunities, easier schedule (Ok, maybe not much much easier), and net easier defensemen and goalies to face. Whenever I saw a Kloos game, seemed like he was always on the ice. Giles always played 3 rotating lines, minimum, 4 usually in February. Also- Malmquist was more of a two way force by Giles design, his junior year in particular, and I suspect this year also . And Giles played him with some younger players for development purposes But again, only the minutia would tell for sure. Anyway, no one is questioning Kloos superior natural offensive talent, certainly in the top few in recent history, Winona points or any other.

Yes, and he even managed to get into fights in elite league games, twice I believe, without being kicked out of the league, per the rules if I'm not mistaken.........

green4

Post by green4 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:06 pm

Im with Stats on this argument. Kloos was always a marked man and I agree their regular season schedule was not much worse.
Edina has had one of the top 5 hardest schedules in the state the last few years, but they do have a softer schedule this year. Probably right on par with Lakeville South when Kloos was on the team.

Edina has added Rosemount and Champlin Park this year and subtracted Eagan and a 2nd game against Elk River. They still play Holy Angels, which seems silly at this point. They play White Bear, and Centennial still, but I imagine maybe a drop in skill level from those teams (maybe I'm wrong on that). Overall they still play some tough games, but its nothing compared to what it was last year.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:52 pm

Thread and debate has gone far afield to the 2015 Mr. Hockey title:

So , trying to find consensus and move on?

o Kloos, Rau, Novak, Besse, Wahlin in a metro AA class by themselves in recent years in terms of offensive skill and production

o Put Kloos at the top if you want, probably deservingly. No one could disagree much. And no one deserved Mr Hockey more than him, guts to stick around senior year when it wasn't fashionable and played in one of the great tourneys where every game was an upset.. Then, everything has gone great for him since.

o Meanwhile Malmquist a four year veteran performer of one of the emerging great dynasties, team contributor, played every role asked, in the top running for Mr. Hockey but not a certainty. In running for 2nd all time Edina scorer; but will not catch Dan Carlson, (who by the way is greatly underrated to this day.)

o Edina schedule has dimished in quality. The toughest schedule anywhere is now: the Wayzata Trojans!

o Edina has shown some recent year chippiness, but not alone in that category.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:24 am

WestMetro wrote:Thread and debate has gone far afield to the 2015 Mr. Hockey title:

So , trying to find consensus and move on?

o Kloos, Rau, Novak, Besse, Wahlin in a metro AA class by themselves in recent years in terms of offensive skill and production

o Put Kloos at the top if you want, probably deservingly. No one could disagree much. And no one deserved Mr Hockey more than him, guts to stick around senior year when it wasn't fashionable and played in one of the great tourneys where every game was an upset.. Then, everything has gone great for him since.

o Meanwhile Malmquist a four year veteran performer of one of the emerging great dynasties, team contributor, played every role asked, in the top running for Mr. Hockey but not a certainty. In running for 2nd all time Edina scorer; but will not catch Dan Carlson, (who by the way is greatly underrated to this day.)

o Edina schedule has dimished in quality. The toughest schedule anywhere is now: the Wayzata Trojans!

o Edina has shown some recent year chippiness, but not alone in that category.
Definitely with you on this one!

Incredible HS player...that '97 class had some awesome players around the state....Miskovich, Westrum, Dwyer, Leimbeck, Cullen, Mills, Wheeler, Coole, and the best of them all: Toby Peterson had he stuck around and not left early (played D1 at CC his SR yr of HS!)

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:18 pm

Sats81 wrote:played D1 at CC his SR yr of HS!
You mean he accelerated his studies and graduated early? He wouldn't have been able to enroll at CC unless he had a diploma. In which case, he didn't really "leave early", he just graduated early.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:06 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
Sats81 wrote:played D1 at CC his SR yr of HS!
You mean he accelerated his studies and graduated early? He wouldn't have been able to enroll at CC unless he had a diploma. In which case, he didn't really "leave early", he just graduated early.
And not being familiar with this guy.......................his leaving early (or whatever it was), benefited him hockey-wise in the long run....................how ?