Jack McNeely commits to UNO

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sats81

Jack McNeely commits to UNO

Post by Sats81 »

LN jr defenseman Jack McNeely commits to UNO. Congrats. He has a huge upside. Interested to see if he sticks at LN next year or goes and plays in USHL with Waterloo.

For those of you counting that is 4 D-1 commits from LN's team this year. I do believe I said in January they had at least 7 players who had the potential to eventually play D-1. Good thing you didn't bet me bemused :))
min-091

Re: Jack McNeely commits to UNO

Post by min-091 »

Sats81 wrote:LN jr defenseman Jack McNeely commits to UNO. Congrats. He has a huge upside. Interested to see if he sticks at LN next year or goes and plays in USHL with Waterloo.

For those of you counting that is 4 D-1 commits from LN's team this year. I do believe I said in January they had at least 7 players who had the potential to eventually play D-1. Good thing you didn't bet me bemused :))
wow...he had a rough tournament. I don't get all the hype
danglingnsnipen15

Re: Jack McNeely commits to UNO

Post by danglingnsnipen15 »

min-091 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:LN jr defenseman Jack McNeely commits to UNO. Congrats. He has a huge upside. Interested to see if he sticks at LN next year or goes and plays in USHL with Waterloo.

wow...he had a rough tournament. I don't get all the hype
I agree. I followed LN closely this year, and I can understand how some teams would be interested in him. Quite honestly though, I just don't see him transitioning into the next level very well. He seemed to struggle against teams with speed (i.e. Edina and Roseau in the tourney).
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Also agree.
SidneysDogHouse

Post by SidneysDogHouse »

Also agree, solid player, slow feet, slow shot.

Not sure the others will transition any better...
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

He will be fine. Works his tail off and has the size and most importantly the head for the game.
Whopper2

Post by Whopper2 »

I dont think so.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

For all of you on here saying you don't see him transitioning well to the next level, how many times have you honestly seen him play?

Obviously Dean Blais and the many other D1 schools who were actively recruiting him think differently. (Hate to break it to you all, but they may know a little more about potential). UNO and Blais develop more NHL d-men than almost any other school in the country. Sure he didn't have the best state tourney, but you can't judge a kid on 3 games.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Sats81 wrote:UNO and Blais develop more NHL d-men than almost any other school in the country.
Umm... no offense but you need to do your research because the above statement is pretty laughable. UNO has only had one D-man come from their program that has been in the NHL this year (Sustr). I can name a number of programs that have helped develop more defensive players for the NHL since Blais joined UNO.

I'd also suggest taking a little closer look at UNO's performance when talking up defensive development/performance. UNO has generally been a good offensive team but brutal on defense. 49th in goals allowed this season, 43rd last season, and 40th the year before.

All of the above hardly backs up your statement.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Just another d-man picked for his size, that can't skate. Eades for egf is the same.

Size can cover skating problems at the hs level.

Above that, not so much.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

I guess the UNO staff is clueless and needs the expertise of this forum to help guide them through the recruiting process. Pretty disappointing that a kid works hard and gets a chance to pursue his passion at the next level and instead of congratulating him it seems more important to some to rip his game. Great kid from a great family but who cares, if he is from Lakeville just tear into him.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

puckbreath wrote:Just another d-man picked for his size, that can't skate. Eades for egf is the same.

Above that, not so much.
You can improve your skating, but you can't improve your size!
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Couldn't agree more Mule, you can't coach size. I remember a kid out of Hopkins in the early 80's who everybody said couldn't skate, I believe he went from there to the Vulcans or Jr. Stars and then to the gophers, team USA and the Buffalo Sabres. The same things were said about Dave Snuggerud and things worked out ok for him. Might be a tad early to right this kid off!
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

mulefarm wrote:
puckbreath wrote:Just another d-man picked for his size, that can't skate. Eades for egf is the same.

Above that, not so much.
You can improve your skating, but you can't improve your size!
Very true.

On a side note, I was impressed with Wolff's skating for a big man.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

keepyourheadup wrote:Couldn't agree more Mule, you can't coach size. I remember a kid out of Hopkins in the early 80's who everybody said couldn't skate, I believe he went from there to the Vulcans or Jr. Stars and then to the gophers, team USA and the Buffalo Sabres. The same things were said about Dave Snuggerud and things worked out ok for him. Might be a tad early to right this kid off!
At the same time, the hockey world is light years different today, especially # of competitors for the same spot, let alone skill level, than in the early '80's.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

puckbreath wrote:
keepyourheadup wrote:Couldn't agree more Mule, you can't coach size. I remember a kid out of Hopkins in the early 80's who everybody said couldn't skate, I believe he went from there to the Vulcans or Jr. Stars and then to the gophers, team USA and the Buffalo Sabres. The same things were said about Dave Snuggerud and things worked out ok for him. Might be a tad early to right this kid off!
At the same time, the hockey world is light years different today, especially # of competitors for the same spot, let alone skill level, than in the early '80's.
So you are saying there isn't late bloomers anymore? I agree there are more competitiors, and skill level has improved, but not sure if it light years different.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Would you consider David Backes only half a light year different then? They said he couldn't skate too.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Gopher Blog wrote:
Sats81 wrote:UNO and Blais develop more NHL d-men than almost any other school in the country.
Umm... no offense but you need to do your research because the above statement is pretty laughable. UNO has only had one D-man come from their program that has been in the NHL this year (Sustr). I can name a number of programs that have helped develop more defensive players for the NHL since Blais joined UNO.

I'd also suggest taking a little closer look at UNO's performance when talking up defensive development/performance. UNO has generally been a good offensive team but brutal on defense. 49th in goals allowed this season, 43rd last season, and 40th the year before.

All of the above hardly backs up your statement.
What I should have said is BLAIS develops/developed (at Nodak too) a very high number of pro-caliber d-men. Of their d-men they have playing this year at UNO there is a handful of them who will sign pro contracts in the next 2 years. Beaulieu and Snuggerud aren't going there for the scenery!
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

I'd say off the top of my head that Wis develops more NHL D than any other school. McDonagh, Gardiner, McBain, Schultz, Smith, Gobeloff,Sutter. Please add to the list, I know I missed some.
Lazy Scout

Post by Lazy Scout »

four D1 players for Lakeville North and they were blown out in the championship game??
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

keepyourheadup wrote:Would you consider David Backes only half a light year different then? They said he couldn't skate too.
Lol, wow.......hit a nerve, or what ?

Since your original comment that I replied to, was about an early eighties player, therefore obviously completely unrelated to Backes situation, you tell me.

Now if you want to continue to talk about the original reference point mentioned above, or if you'd rather keep using a bouncing ball reference point instead, also let me know.
Last edited by puckbreath on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

mulefarm wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
So you are saying there isn't late bloomers anymore? I agree there are more competitiors, and skill level has improved, but not sure if it light years different.
Never said that.

Ever.
Last edited by puckbreath on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

I'm not sure what the hell that has to do with anything but I have it on good authority that there is a secret society of Lakeville backers that are blackmailing college coaches across our fine nation and forcing them to offer their kids athletic scholarships......what is it with this disgust for lakeville! For crying out loud go ahead and hate the parents but you think you could maybe leave the kids out of it!
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

keepyourheadup wrote:I'm not sure what the hell that has to do with anything but I have it on good authority that there is a secret society of Lakeville backers that are blackmailing college coaches across our fine nation and forcing them to offer their kids athletic scholarships......what is it with this disgust for lakeville! For crying out loud go ahead and hate the parents but you think you could maybe leave the kids out of it!

For the record, I have nothing against LN at all.

If McNeely played for any other school, my opinion stated above would still be the same.

Hope that helps.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

You indict a kids ability and I give two examples of kids that got labeled in much the same way, nothing more...thats it...don't look to deep..let time determine if the kid can play or not.