Jake Wahlin decommits from U Mass

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sats81

Jake Wahlin decommits from U Mass

Post by Sats81 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:42 pm

Hearing from some pretty reliable sources Jake Wahlin has decommitted from Umass. Surprising being that him committing there in the first place had a lot to do with his brother going there as well. Interested to see where he ends up now.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:39 pm

Huh. I'm a little surprised, but this kid has the right to change his mind and vet out other schools if he feels that's in his best interest

With that said, I mentioned recently in another thread that I think it's risky and premature to commit at such a young age. How you feel when you're 15 is in many cases different than how you feel at 17. There is no reason I commit at such a young age.

That's if this is true. Haven't seen anything, but I'll assume its accurate.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:16 pm

What kind of teeth is there to committing to a school? Why bother to commit at all until you have to start classes in the fall?

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:19 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:What kind of teeth is there to committing to a school? Why bother to commit at all until you have to start classes in the fall?
Nothing is official until a kid signs a National Letter of Intent. But, there is a gentlemen's agreement among college coaches that once a kid verbals somewhere, it is hands off. I know some coaches would like to see this go by the wayside.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:27 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:What kind of teeth is there to committing to a school? Why bother to commit at all until you have to start classes in the fall?
Lots of reasons.

One, the coach may have given a deadline on the scholarship offer. They need to play their recruiting classes in advance, so they can only have so many offers out at a time.

Two, the kid takes the offer because he doesn't know if he'll get another one. If it's his first offer and he hasn't received a lot of attention from other schools, he'll probably want to accept before the school can change their mind.

Three, if you aren't progressing very well as a prospect, coaches are pretty reluctant to recind an offer (though it does happen). In a way, verbally committing kind of commits the school to you as well.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:09 pm

I've been hearing that the conference splits, and the new North Star Cup, is making the top talent want to stay in-state.

Think its mostly about the in Minnesota tv time.

Not sure if it's the case here...

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:07 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:I've been hearing that the conference splits, and the new North Star Cup, is making the top talent want to stay in-state.

Think its mostly about the in Minnesota tv time.

Not sure if it's the case here...
I won't give much credence to the North Star Cup, but you bring up an interesting point with conference realignment. I've heard the same thing; players are more likely to stay in the state now that Minnesota teams have split to the NCHC, WCHA, and of course Big Ten. It'd be nice to see the Gophers, St Cloud State and Mankato all make the tourney this year. Much tougher to do that when all three are in the same conference. I think high school players see more of an opportunity for national exposure now, and a better chance to play on the big stage
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:36 pm

Would really like to see tDon pick him up. Would look nice In maroon and gold.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:40 am

MrBoDangles wrote:Think its mostly about the in Minnesota tv time.
Not sure where you get this idea that the TV stuff is all that different and therefore making an impact on decisions. I haven't seen much of a difference in quantity of in-state TV coverage for any of these teams compared to the past. Minnesota always had almost all of its games on TV. Mankato and SCSU already had TV access in prior years through cable and that remains the same. I've barely seen UMD on TV this year except vs. MN and a few CBS games (I know they are on Duluth TV but that has a limited reach).

There are a few more games nationally for SCSU and UMD... and I guess MN since a number of their games are on a widely broadcast BTN. But those games probably would have been on TV locally in the past in some form.

TheInsider

Post by TheInsider » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:18 am

I dont know about the TV time or anything, but I think it was pretty clear he committed to UMass solely to play with his brother. Not sure why he de-commited though.

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:08 pm

TheInsider wrote:I dont know about the TV time or anything, but I think it was pretty clear he committed to UMass solely to play with his brother. Not sure why he de-commited though.
Maybe Brandon is transferring?

GreekChurch

Post by GreekChurch » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Wblhcky2424 wrote:
TheInsider wrote:I dont know about the TV time or anything, but I think it was pretty clear he committed to UMass solely to play with his brother. Not sure why he de-commited though.
Maybe Brandon is transferring?

Quick look, and he didn't play in the last four games. Injured? Idk

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:22 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Think its mostly about the in Minnesota tv time.
Not sure where you get this idea that the TV stuff is all that different and therefore making an impact on decisions. I haven't seen much of a difference in quantity of in-state TV coverage for any of these teams compared to the past. Minnesota always had almost all of its games on TV. Mankato and SCSU already had TV access in prior years through cable and that remains the same. I've barely seen UMD on TV this year except vs. MN and a few CBS games (I know they are on Duluth TV but that has a limited reach).

There are a few more games nationally for SCSU and UMD... and I guess MN since a number of their games are on a widely broadcast BTN. But those games probably would have been on TV locally in the past in some form.
Your last paragraph must have been what they were talking about. The one guy talking said his kid wanted to go to a Minnesota school since they played in the NSC.

If figured the guaranteed tv time during their career..

nobama

Post by nobama » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:32 am

The coach has to like that relationship with the family..

That should work out well for Brandon for the next three years :idea:

inthetwine

Post by inthetwine » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:03 am

Does this mean that he might stay at WBL for his senior year? Maybe 1 more shot at the tourney helped him decide.

wbmd

Post by wbmd » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:04 pm

inthetwine wrote:Does this mean that he might stay at WBL for his senior year? Maybe 1 more shot at the tourney helped him decide.
I thought he already left school. Wouldn't that make him ineligible for next year?

Or maybe he'll try and play at St. Paul Johnson next year since he already lives in that area.

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:17 pm

I'm sure the Vancouver Giants have been calling. He is on their list

GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:16 pm

Wasn't the rumor hes changing his commitment to Duluth? Would be a huge get for that program just like Anderson was. Although I would much rather see him come play in St Cloud!!

inthetwine

Post by inthetwine » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:17 pm

wbmd wrote:
inthetwine wrote:Does this mean that he might stay at WBL for his senior year? Maybe 1 more shot at the tourney helped him decide.
I thought he already left school. Wouldn't that make him ineligible for next year?

Or maybe he'll try and play at St. Paul Johnson next year since he already lives in that area.
No, lots of kds go to juniors after the school year, then return to thier high school.

bkrrrrr

Re: Jake Wahlin decommits from U Mass

Post by bkrrrrr » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:36 pm

Sats81 wrote:Hearing from some pretty reliable sources Jake Wahlin has decommitted from Umass. Surprising being that him committing there in the first place had a lot to do with his brother going there as well. Interested to see where he ends up now.
Dang it, I thought I had the WBL-Amherst pipeline all set up. :(
From the tranquil shores of Lake Vadnais...