Reebok HP 16's & 17s Spring Festival

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

urban iceman wrote:
hockeyoldtimer wrote: New Prague was the best team in Sec 1 this year, so that may be why by having the best talent at the tryouts!

urban, you do realize that the Sec 1 HP festival team includes players from both 1A and 1AA, right? :?
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

almostashappy wrote:From Minnesota Hockey's "Ask the Expert" series:
http://www.minnesotahockey.org/news_art ... r_id=86082
"When you get to HP, you are evaluated by what you do on the ice, not by who you know or how much money you are willing to pay," said John Perry, Program Director for the Boys’ and Girls’ High Performance 15 programs.
Looks like my campaign for next year's "best tagline" award has gotten off to an amazingly relevant start. :)
And if anyone believes that, I have some swamp land in Florida to sell ya.....

That fact that he even feels it necessary to state this, speaks volumes.
hockeyoldtimer

Post by hockeyoldtimer »

Urban,
How about Lakeville North, Lakeville South, All Rochester schools, Mankato?
These schools have only 1-2 players on roster as New Prague has 7.
Come on.
hockeyoldtimer

HP 16 & 17

Post by hockeyoldtimer »

Any analysis or scores out there from yesterday's games?
Task Force 34

Post by Task Force 34 »

17's

Section 2 - 4
Section 4 - 3

Good back and forth game.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

So far the 16s and 17s mirror each other with Sections 2, 6, 7 & 8 on the winners side and 1, 3, 4 & 5 on the losers side. Decent games that have mainly been close. It clearly helps to have 2 solid goalies and minimize penalties with the resulting penalty shot but the refs have been OK this year. Haven't found the volunteer sign-up sheet yet and got to sit right behind a Reebok jacket that sat with a couple of parents for a half that talked about little Johnny. Maybe the black coat was 'off' or was a evaluator for the girls but it just didn't look right. And as predicted Section 4 at both levels has struggled with both set to play for 7th place on Sunday. 8)
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

And the biggest blow out so far was Section 7 beating Section 1 (A & AA) 8-2 in the quarter game at the 17 level. Not saying this is New Prague related just saying it was the most lopsided game so far. Still interested where all the AA kids were and if we'll see various free passes to the 54s from 1 A/AA. I hope not but will make for some good banter on this "bored"! :D
noflybys

Post by noflybys »

Seemed to be a number of top players out of section 4 that were not on the roster. Not sure if they didn't tryout or were left off of the roster for different reasons. They could have been better!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Section 6 17s Blew Out Section 2 6 to 1. Wayzata kids all looked good, they are going to be tough again next year. Doesn't hurt when you add 4 BSM kids (mainly from Edina system) to the Section 6 team mix. Zuhlsdorf and Bowlby from Edina looked good for Section 2. ( Will Garin from Holy Family seems to have grown a couple inches since I last saw him play in late February.)
hockeyoldtimer

Post by hockeyoldtimer »

Saw some of Section 1/7 17's game. It was early so just caught part of it. Section 7 manhandled section 1, out skating them and creating a lot of uneven chances. Bender and Bischoff looked solid for section 7, Swaney, Robert, and Jutting for Section 1. Section 7 had some other skilled players such as Klatt and they clearly were a stronger team.
Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme »

:-({|= Now say it with me, it's time to drop the puck sooo lets play hockey! :roll: Good luck to all the HP players and enjoy the game.
hockeymannorth

Post by hockeymannorth »

BP wrote:
hockeymannorth wrote:Who picked section 4? I don't see any of the top 10 players from there except 1 Hill D and Johnson goalie good luck winning a game with that line up

Who are the 10 guys not on the there?
section 4 is 0 wins and 4 losses who called it?
hockeymannorth

Post by hockeymannorth »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:So far the 16s and 17s mirror each other with Sections 2, 6, 7 & 8 on the winners side and 1, 3, 4 & 5 on the losers side. Decent games that have mainly been close. It clearly helps to have 2 solid goalies and minimize penalties with the resulting penalty shot but the refs have been OK this year. Haven't found the volunteer sign-up sheet yet and got to sit right behind a Reebok jacket that sat with a couple of parents for a half that talked about little Johnny. Maybe the black coat was 'off' or was a evaluator for the girls but it just didn't look right. And as predicted Section 4 at both levels has struggled with both set to play for 7th place on Sunday. 8)
Maybe section 4 is one that doesn't pick teams by talent, but by coaches buddies?
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

hockeyoldtimer wrote:Urban,
How about Lakeville North, Lakeville South, All Rochester schools, Mankato?
These schools have only 1-2 players on roster as New Prague has 7.
Come on.
I was only speaking for Sec 1A. Don't know why the AA schools were not well rep'd. It was like that for the Great 8 also, lots of A players, not as many AA from SEC. 1
noflybys

Post by noflybys »

hockeymannorth wrote:
Nuts&Bolts wrote:So far the 16s and 17s mirror each other with Sections 2, 6, 7 & 8 on the winners side and 1, 3, 4 & 5 on the losers side. Decent games that have mainly been close. It clearly helps to have 2 solid goalies and minimize penalties with the resulting penalty shot but the refs have been OK this year. Haven't found the volunteer sign-up sheet yet and got to sit right behind a Reebok jacket that sat with a couple of parents for a half that talked about little Johnny. Maybe the black coat was 'off' or was a evaluator for the girls but it just didn't look right. And as predicted Section 4 at both levels has struggled with both set to play for 7th place on Sunday. 8)
Maybe section 4 is one that doesn't pick teams by talent, but by coaches buddies?

I would hope they pick from talent alone. But we know they don't..SAD
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

alcloseshaver wrote:Breakdown for HP 16's for 7AA
Elk River 5
Grand Rapids 4
Hermantown 3
STMA 3
Hibbing 2
Marshall 2
East 1
Where are the players from Andover, Forest Lake? Curious if they were in the mix.
7AA wins the HP 16 Title 6-1 over section 6. Leading scorers were 2 bantams from ER and Koepke from. H-town.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Shaver who cares about Flake and Dover. Where were the East kids?? I'm sure the East nation will tell us what's up.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

The Altman kid from East that played is a very good player, Rapids forward also stood out. 7AA should be fun to watch with the young talent on display this weekend.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

puckbreath wrote:
almostashappy wrote:From Minnesota Hockey's "Ask the Expert" series:
http://www.minnesotahockey.org/news_art ... r_id=86082
"When you get to HP, you are evaluated by what you do on the ice, not by who you know or how much money you are willing to pay," said John Perry, Program Director for the Boys’ and Girls’ High Performance 15 programs.
Looks like my campaign for next year's "best tagline" award has gotten off to an amazingly relevant start. :)
And if anyone believes that, I have some swamp land in Florida to sell ya.....

That fact that he even feels it necessary to state this, speaks volumes.
My kid tried out for the Section 6 team. I'm not here to cry that my kid didn't make the cut. My only complaint is that the predetermined teams were pretty stacked one way. One team was full of west Metro kids (Wayzata, BSM, EP, and Minnetonka) while the other team was the other kids (various outstate A, bantam A and B kids with a metro kid mixed in). I would bet 80% of the kids that made it were from the one team.
OTB987

Post by OTB987 »

I am not following you on this - two predetermined teams for Section 6?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

wolfman wrote:Shaver who cares about Flake and Dover. Where were the East kids?? I'm sure the East nation will tell us what's up.
East is deep with decent players, but not so much with top-end players. There are a couple others who were probably close, but didn't make it given the depth of quality players in 7A and 7AA--as the results show, the section is very deep at this age group. (I'm also not even sure if they all tried out.)

Also, pretty sure that, unlike ER, their talented bantams are too young for 16s.
Cdale

Post by Cdale »

Anyone know when do they post teams (final 54)?
My_Kid_Loves_Hockey

Post by My_Kid_Loves_Hockey »

karl(east) wrote:
wolfman wrote:Shaver who cares about Flake and Dover. Where were the East kids?? I'm sure the East nation will tell us what's up.
East is deep with decent players, but not so much with top-end players. There are a couple others who were probably close, but didn't make it given the depth of quality players in 7A and 7AA--as the results show, the section is very deep at this age group. (I'm also not even sure if they all tried out.)

Also, pretty sure that, unlike ER, their talented bantams are too young for 16s.
When the original team was posted there was another DE player but for some reason(spring break, injury, other) he was replaced by the alternate.
twocents

Post by twocents »

Cdale wrote:Anyone know when do they post teams (final 54)?
Top 54 will be posted Friday, according to my son.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

I think Mite-dad is talking about how Section 6 ran the tryout. It's somewhat routine in a tryout to stack one team primarily with kids you'll keep and put others on a team which you pick from. Makes it easier for the evaluator really having to watch one team. I'm not saying this is what Section 6 did but would argue this approach isn't right when there are only 4 hours of tryouts. Kids should get a chance to skate with some different line combinations. Some of the best teams this weekend at the festival had 3 kids from the same school on the ice together. Can't blame a coach for looking for chemistry as it only helps those kids but it is an advantage when you skate with kids you know.