No home ice advantage?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

luckyEPDad wrote:I have a hard time seeing where the Wild/Colorado series is any example of home ice advantage. The Wild very nearly won games 1 and 5 in Colorado. Game 6 plays out with almost exactly the same script, but this time the Wild get off a shot and there is no missed penalty or offside.

I see no evidence of home ice advantage in this series. I do see evidence that Kuemper in net is an advantage over Bryzgalov. If Kemper started the series there wouldn't have been a game 6.
:roll:

Other than all the wins are at home and the Wild have an extra jump in their game....

Hope the Wild are able to overcome the advantage tomorrow.
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

luckyEPDad wrote:I have a hard time seeing where the Wild/Colorado series is any example of home ice advantage. The Wild very nearly won games 1 and 5 in Colorado. Game 6 plays out with almost exactly the same script, but this time the Wild get off a shot and there is no missed penalty or offside.

I see no evidence of home ice advantage in this series. I do see evidence that Kuemper in net is an advantage over Bryzgalov. If Kemper started the series there wouldn't have been a game 6.
:shock:
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

MrBoDangles wrote:

Other than all the wins are at home and the Wild have an extra jump in their game....

Yeah, right. Other than the last 2 minutes games 1, 5 and 6 are interchangeable. Wild jump out to early lead. Wild let off the gas and let Colorado back in the game. Wild has 1 goal lead going into final minutes when Roy pulls his goalie. Wild has a hard time clearing the zone against the 1 man advantage. Sound familiar so far? In almost every game of the series the Wild played a better game, home and away.

Roll your eyes all you want. To say home ice is the difference in this series belittles how well the Wild have played in every game.
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

luckyEPDad wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Yeah, right. Other than the last 2 minutes games 1, 5 and 6 are interchangeable. Wild jump out to early lead. Wild let off the gas and let Colorado back in the game. Wild has 1 goal lead going into final minutes when Roy pulls his goalie. Wild has a hard time clearing the zone against the 1 man advantage. Sound familiar so far? In almost every game of the series the Wild played a better game, home and away.

Roll your eyes all you want. To say home ice is the difference in this series belittles how well the Wild have played in every game.
Well I was at the last two Wild games, and if game 7 was at the X I would bet the farm on them......it's not at the X, and although they can win, they will not be favored.....last night they were the betting favorite. Obviously who ever puts these odds out also believe that in the NHL, home team has an advantage.....and I would also agree the Wild have out played the Avs in 4 or 5 of the 6 games.....but lost two of them.....if only games were 58 minutes the Wild would have already wrapped this thing up.
57special

Post by 57special »

home teams tend to get home calls.
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

In high school playoff games, the number of fans for the home and guest team is often nearly identical, unlike at the pro level. I would agree with the previous poster who stated that the advantage in being the home team is having the last line change more thhan the ice itself.
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

slacsap wrote:In high school playoff games, the number of fans for the home and guest team is often nearly identical, unlike at the pro level. I would agree with the previous poster who stated that the advantage in being the home team is having the last line change more thhan the ice itself.
I was not at the game.........but I would bet a trillion dollars (if I could) that there was more DE fans than Elk River......Who was there? What were the numbers? were they even close?
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

All winter long the posts here include phrases like, 'they went in and beat a scrappy team on their home ice' or 'they've beaten some good teams at home, but they still haven't been tested on the road'.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

east hockey wrote:When you pick one series at a professional level to "prove" some theory about the high school level, that is called "cherry picking". Do you have any studies regarding what the actual average home ice advantage is at the high school level? Any studies at all?

It has little to do with Duluth East, and everything to do with my thinly veiled contempt for people who think they understand statistical analysis. I, as Sheldon Cooper would, snort in derision. :)

Lee
A couple years ago I wanted to take a stab at creating an "unbiased" ranking system based solely off of objective criteria. I mention this because when I created this system I noticed that on average teams home record was about 7% higher than their away record.

I know there is little statistical significance to this data. It was only based on one season and didn't take into account the difference in quality of opponents played at home or away. However, it led me to believe that there is, albeit slight, a home ice advantage in high school hockey.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Traxler wrote:
east hockey wrote:When you pick one series at a professional level to "prove" some theory about the high school level, that is called "cherry picking". Do you have any studies regarding what the actual average home ice advantage is at the high school level? Any studies at all?

It has little to do with Duluth East, and everything to do with my thinly veiled contempt for people who think they understand statistical analysis. I, as Sheldon Cooper would, snort in derision. :)

Lee
A couple years ago I wanted to take a stab at creating an "unbiased" ranking system based solely off of objective criteria. I mention this because when I created this system I noticed that on average teams home record was about 7% higher than their away record.

I know there is little statistical significance to this data. It was only based on one season and didn't take into account the difference in quality of opponents played at home or away. However, it led me to believe that there is, albeit slight, a home ice advantage in high school hockey.
There's uncontrollable snorting coming from the Proctor area..

:P
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

MrBoDangles wrote:
Traxler wrote:

Lee

The snorting was only done in your direction. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

east hockey wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Traxler wrote: A couple years ago I wanted to take a stab at creating an "unbiased" ranking system based solely off of objective criteria. I mention this because when I created this system I noticed that on average teams home record was about 7% higher than their away record.

The snorting was only done in your direction. :mrgreen:

Lee
I take it all back.. Wild win in Colorado!!!!
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

east hockey wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

Lee

There is a resemblance.
Sheldon can't grow a moustache, but I'd love to have his eidetic memory.

Lee
Sheldon is much less of a Nerd and much more worldly.. :mrgreen:
What is a Green Wave anyway?
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

Hows home ice working for Anaheim?
Go Hounds.