NAHL year End Awards..

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SuperStar

NAHL year End Awards..

Post by SuperStar »

Former MN players in Bold

013-14 Defenseman of the Year: Nate Repensky/Duluth East Bismarck Bobcats
Bismarck Bobcats defenseman Nate Repensky, 21, who is off to Yale University to play NCAA Division I hockey, led all NAHL defensemen in points this season with 50, which included a league-high 38 assists and also included 12 goals. The native of Duluth, Minnesota also was solid on the defensive end with a +18 rating this season for the Bobcats. Repensky (5’11/175) missed all of the 2014 playoffs with an injury, but showed his value in the 2013 playoffs, when he led the Bobcats all the way to the Robertson Cup Tournament with nine points in 10 playoff games. Repensky was named the NAHL Defenseman of the Month back in September. He was an NAHL All-Rookie Team selection last season as he recorded 27 points in 37 games played. In 96 career NAHL regular season games, Repensky has recorded 77 points and is a +29. Prior to playing in the NAHL, Repensky played high school hockey for Duluth East High School in Minnesota.

2013-14 Rookie of the Year: TJ Roo, Totino-Grace/ Aberdeen Wings
Aberdeen Wings forward and Bemidji State University commit TJ Roo was instrumental in the Aberdeen Wings turnaround this season. The Wings finished just a point behind first place Austin for the Central crown and Roo, 20, was a big reason why. The native of Coon Rapids, Minnesota led all NAHL rookies in scoring this season with 54 points (22 goals, 32 assists) in 56 games played. He led the Wings in points, goals and assists this season and five of his 22 goals were of the game-winning variety. Roo’s best stretch of hockey may have come in the final two month of the season as the Wings pushed for the top spot in the Central Division. The Wings won their final 11 games of the regular season and in that stretch, Roo (5’11/175) had 14 points and registered a point in 12 of the 14 wins. Prior to coming to the NAHL, Roo had a standout career playing high school hockey in Minnesota for Totino-Grace High School, where he recorded 231 points in just 100 games of his high school career.

013-14 All-NAHL Team
• Forward: Alec Butcher, Kenai River Brown Bears
• Forward: Tyler Poulsen, Topeka RoadRunners
• Forward: Mike Davis, Amarillo Bulls
• Defense: Nate Repensky, Bismarck Bobcats
• Defense: Jake Horton, Aberdeen Wings
• Goalie: PJ Bridges, Topeka RoadRunners

2013-14 All-NAHL Rookie 1st Team
• Forward: Parker Tuomie, Wenatchee Wild
• Forward: TJ Roo, Aberdeen Wings
• Forward: Guillaume Leclerc, Austin Bruins
• Defense: Matt Nuttle, Wenatchee Wild
• Defense: Wyatt Ege, Fairbanks Ice Dogs
• Goalie: Chase Perry, Wenatchee Wild

All-Division Teams

Central Division
• Forward: Jay Dickman, Austin Bruins
• Forward: Stanislav Dzakhov, Bismarck Bobcats
• Forward: TJ Roo, Aberdeen Wings
• Defenseman: Nate Repensky, Bismarck Bobcats
• Defenseman: Jake Horton, Aberdeen Wings

• Goaltender: Nick Lehr, Austin Bruins

Midwest Division
• Forward: Alec Butcher, Kenai River Brown Bears
• Forward: Parker Tuomie, Wenatchee Wild
• Forward: Tayler Munson, Fairbanks Ice Dogs
• Defenseman: Terry Leabo, Minnesota Wilderness
Defenseman: Nick Hinz, Fairbanks Ice Dogs
• Goaltender: Kasimir Kaskisuo, Minnesota Wilderness

North Division
• Forward: Robin Hoglund, Janesville Jets
• Forward: Bryan Yim, Port Huron Fighting Falcons
• Forward: Colin Larkin, Michigan Warriors
• Defenseman: Mitch Hall, Johnstown Tomahawks
• Defenseman: Jonathan Kopacka, Port Huron Fighting Falcons
• Goaltender: Stefanos Lekkas, Springfield Jr. Blues
Last edited by SuperStar on Thu May 08, 2014 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

Why on earth was Roo not in the USHL this year? The kid is a prime talent.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

hockeyfan893 wrote:Why on earth was Roo not in the USHL this year? The kid is a prime talent.
I was wondering the same thing.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

For what ever reason the USHL seems to like to pin their hopes on younger players. You could say the same thing about Repensky and Horton too. All 3 could easily compete in the USHL.
Hscout000

Post by Hscout000 »

keepyourheadup wrote:For what ever reason the USHL seems to like to pin their hopes on younger players. You could say the same thing about Repensky and Horton too. All 3 could easily compete in the USHL.
Absolutely, USHL has moved to be more about getting the younger players and getting kids that are trying to bolster NHL draft stock. Having seen a lot of games at these levels in any year the top NA teams would easily compete in the USHL.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

hockeyfan893 wrote:Why on earth was Roo not in the USHL this year? The kid is a prime talent.
I'm just glad he's a Bemidji State recruit. Go Beavers!
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

I believe Tuomie has Minnesota ties through dad but was raised in Germany.
Be kind. Rewind.
Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 »

Add Nick Hinz for Fairbanks who is from North St. Paul
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Hscout000 wrote:
keepyourheadup wrote:For what ever reason the USHL seems to like to pin their hopes on younger players. You could say the same thing about Repensky and Horton too. All 3 could easily compete in the USHL.
Absolutely, USHL has moved to be more about getting the younger players and getting kids that are trying to bolster NHL draft stock. Having seen a lot of games at these levels in any year the top NA teams would easily compete in the USHL.
Its a damn good league. I hope the NAHL does not go with the common theme to race for the younger talented player. "Late bloomers" if you can call them that need a place to play and the NAHL is a remarkable league for guys who fly under the radar. Lot's of Minny guys play in the league after their high school career is over. Those kids deserve a place to play after getting snubbed by the USHL. If the kid decides to enjoy the high school experience up through graduation so be it. Thanks to the NAHL they get a competitive league to play in to further develop and move on to the higher levels of play at D1 and D3 schools. If given the chance to catch games I would highly suggest doing so starting with September Showcase in Blaine.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Hscout000 wrote:
Its a damn good league. I hope the NAHL does not go with the common theme to race for the younger talented player. "Late bloomers" if you can call them that need a place to play and the NAHL is a remarkable league for guys who fly under the radar. Lot's of Minny guys play in the league after their high school career is over. Those kids deserve a place to play after getting snubbed by the USHL. If the kid decides to enjoy the high school experience up through graduation so be it. Thanks to the NAHL they get a competitive league to play in to further develop and move on to the higher levels of play at D1 and D3 schools. If given the chance to catch games I would highly suggest doing so starting with September Showcase in Blaine.
I agree..! Just look at the numbers for D1 and D3 commits this for the NA. I count 123 D1 commits this year..! That's impressive.

http://nahl.com/player-advancement/college/

I highlighted Nick Hinz and re-checked Parker Toumie and didn't see where he played MN High School Hockey.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

SuperStar wrote:I highlighted Nick Hinz and re-checked Parker Toumie and didn't see where he played MN High School Hockey.
Parker's cousins Jack and Taylor played for Irondale. His uncle (Tadd) briefly coached at Irondale. His dad (Tray) played at Hill Murray, then St. Cloud State, then Wisconsin, then went pro in Germany.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

I think the NA is right up there with the USHL. Like keepyourheadup said, the USHL tends to go for younger players who are great talents at a young age/early bloomers. A lot of the kids in the NA were late bloomers, players that have had to scratch and claw their way to getting a place at the table. A lot of times these tend to end up being better players. Roo is a very good player, but how about Repensky? Great player.
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

Some of these players choose to stay in the NAHL after a season. Primary reason is typically getting more playing time than they would in USHL. Many certainly could play.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

SuperStar wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Hscout000 wrote: Absolutely, USHL has moved to be more about getting the younger players and getting kids that are trying to bolster NHL draft stock. Having seen a lot of games at these levels in any year the top NA teams would easily compete in the USHL.
I agree..! Just look at the numbers for D1 and D3 commits this for the NA. I count 123 D1 commits this year..! That's impressive.

I highlighted Nick Hinz and re-checked Parker Toumie and didn't see where he played MN High School Hockey.
That is a nice number.

Of course, another way to look at it, for those deciding on what to do, is that that 123 is what, about 25% or so of the total NA players ?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

puckbreath wrote:
SuperStar wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote: Its a damn good league. I hope the NAHL does not go with the common theme to race for the younger talented player. "Late bloomers" if you can call them that need a place to play and the NAHL is a remarkable league for guys who fly under the radar. Lot's of Minny guys play in the league after their high school career is over. Those kids deserve a place to play after getting snubbed by the USHL. If the kid decides to enjoy the high school experience up through graduation so be it. Thanks to the NAHL they get a competitive league to play in to further develop and move on to the higher levels of play at D1 and D3 schools. If given the chance to catch games I would highly suggest doing so starting with September Showcase in Blaine.

That is a nice number.

Of course, another way to look at it, for those deciding on what to do, is that that 123 is what, about 25% or so of the total NA players ?
Thats a good question..Might be close to 25%. I would have to try and research that more...

I did find this article though - Pretty interesting..!

NAHL is stepping up - Junior Hockey News

Tweet This
Published: Wednesday, 20 Mar 2013
By: Randy Russon

He is a National Hockey League scout who wears more than one Stanley Cup ring. His word is trusted and respected and he doesn't offer his opinions unless he is asked. And when asked to compare the caliber and level of play between the Tier 1, United States Hockey League and the Tier 2, North American Hockey League, he was frank and to the point.

The NHL scout (who for obvious reasons of professional confidentiality wants to remain anonymous) offered these specific responses when asked about NAHL v. USHL:

* The "vast majority" of 19-and-20-year old, first-and-second-line players in the NAHL would also be first-and-second-line players in the USHL.

* Overall, the level of goaltending in the NAHL is "definitely better" than in the USHL.

* If not for the fact that USA Hockey's National Team Development Program was a member of the USHL, NHL scouts would attend NAHL games with the same frequency.

* A player does not have to leave the NAHL for the USHL in order to improve his chances of getting a Division 1, National Collegiate Athletic Association commitment. Proof is the swelling number of NAHL players who have received Division 1 commitments within the past couple of seasons.

* The number of players who play in the NAHL who will get drafted by, or sign with, NHL teams, will continue to rise.

* The level of coaching in the NAHL is "definitely on par" with the USHL.

* The fact that the USHL is Tier 1 and the NAHL is Tier 2 is "little more than an illogical, semantic fixation of USA Hockey."

* The scout's personal list of current NAHL players who he considers to be future NHL prospects totals 30 and includes six goalies, 12 defencemen and 12 forwards.

* The scout's personal list of current USHL players (excluding those who play for the NTDP) who he considers to be future NHL prospects totals 28 and includes four goalies, 10 defencemen and 14 forwards.

http://www.juniorhockey.com/news/news_d ... s_id=78754
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

SuperStar wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
SuperStar wrote: I agree..! Just look at the numbers for D1 and D3 commits this for the NA. I count 123 D1 commits this year..! That's impressive.

That is a nice number.

Thats a good question..Might be close to 25%. I would have to try and research that more...

Tweet This

He is a National Hockey League scout who wears more than one Stanley Cup ring. His word is trusted and respected and he doesn't offer his opinions unless he is asked. And when asked to compare the caliber and level of play between the Tier 1, United States Hockey League and the Tier 2, North American Hockey League, he was frank and to the point.

The NHL scout (who for obvious reasons of professional confidentiality wants to remain anonymous) offered these specific responses when asked about NAHL v. USHL:

* The "vast majority" of 19-and-20-year old, first-and-second-line players in the NAHL would also be first-and-second-line players in the USHL.

* Overall, the level of goaltending in the NAHL is "definitely better" than in the USHL.

* If not for the fact that USA Hockey's National Team Development Program was a member of the USHL, NHL scouts would attend NAHL games with the same frequency.

* A player does not have to leave the NAHL for the USHL in order to improve his chances of getting a Division 1, National Collegiate Athletic Association commitment. Proof is the swelling number of NAHL players who have received Division 1 commitments within the past couple of seasons.

* The number of players who play in the NAHL who will get drafted by, or sign with, NHL teams, will continue to rise.

* The fact that the USHL is Tier 1 and the NAHL is Tier 2 is "little more than an illogical, semantic fixation of USA Hockey."

* The scout's personal list of current NAHL players who he considers to be future NHL prospects totals 30 and includes six goalies, 12 defencemen and 12 forwards.

* The scout's personal list of current USHL players (excluding those who play for the NTDP) who he considers to be future NHL prospects totals 28 and includes four goalies, 10 defencemen and 14 forwards.

Great article. I believe it all.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

SuperStar wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
SuperStar wrote: I agree..! Just look at the numbers for D1 and D3 commits this for the NA. I count 123 D1 commits this year..! That's impressive.

That is a nice number.

Tweet This

Good read, thanks.

Especially the take on NHL prospects; very, very small %, from either league.
Nice reality check.

Assuming my previous 25% estimate is correct, that should provide an additional reality check.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Sats81 wrote:Great article. I believe it all.
I don't. These are all opinions. Facts can be believed, opinions can only be shared. I think I share maybe half of these opinions.

The NAHL is a good league, and it's better to play in the NAHL than in the USPHL if your goal is to earn a scholarship. However, the MAJORITY of USHL players get scholarships, NTDP or not. If you can get into the USHL and play regular minutes, that's probably your best bet for earning a scholarship or getting drafted.

There used to be differences in which expenses were covered by the USHL versus the NAHL, but I don't know that there are any difference anymore. At least, I couldn't find any.

f I was a teenager from Minnesota looking to advance my hockey career, my preferred path would be HS until I've earned a D1 scholarship, then USHL if I could get in, the the NAHL if I couldn't. Of course, that's just my thought process. Others will prefer other routes.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

puckbreath wrote: Of course, another way to look at it, for those deciding on what to do, is that that 123 is what, about 25% or so of the total NA players ?
It depends how you measure it. The NAHL tends to roster a lot more players than the USHL throughout the course of a season. It looks like 724 different players were rostered at some point. That would make it 16.99% with a commitment to a D1 or D3 school.

In the USHL, 451 players were rostered, with 313 earning scholarships... D1 only. That's 69.4% without including the NTDP.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

The Exiled One wrote:
Sats81 wrote:Great article. I believe it all.
I don't. These are all opinions. Facts can be believed, opinions can only be shared. I think I share maybe half of these opinions.

The NAHL is a good league, and it's better to play in the NAHL than in the USPHL if your goal is to earn a scholarship. However, the MAJORITY of USHL players get scholarships, NTDP or not. If you can get into the USHL and play regular minutes, that's probably your best bet for earning a scholarship or getting drafted.

There used to be differences in which expenses were covered by the USHL versus the NAHL, but I don't know that there are any difference anymore. At least, I couldn't find any.

If I was a teenager from Minnesota looking to advance my hockey career, my preferred path would be HS until I've earned a D1 scholarship, then USHL if I could get in, the the NAHL if I couldn't. Of course, that's just my thought process. Others will prefer other routes.
In this case, I would add GET GOOD GRADES in hs, too.

Without presenting numbers, I believe there is a lot more money in academic scholarships, than athletic, and good grades can/does grab a coaches attention just as well as good hockey.

And since going to college is the end game, hockey-wise, for kids in both leagues, GET GOOD GRADES in hs.

Majority will not be making a living in hockey anyway.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

The Exiled One wrote:
puckbreath wrote: Of course, another way to look at it, for those deciding on what to do, is that that 123 is what, about 25% or so of the total NA players ?
It depends how you measure it. The NAHL tends to roster a lot more players than the USHL throughout the course of a season. It looks like 724 different players were rostered at some point. That would make it 16.99% with a commitment to a D1 or D3 school.

In the USHL, 451 players were rostered, with 313 earning scholarships... D1 only. That's 69.4% without including the NTDP.
Thanks for the research.

25% is "bad" enough, let alone 17%.

Or in other words, 75 to 83% of the kids get no offers...............

Not meant to be an NA slight.

More of a reality check.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

puckbreath wrote:In this case, I would add GET GOOD GRADES in hs, too.

Without presenting numbers, I believe there is a lot more money in academic scholarships, than athletic, and good grades can/does grab a coaches attention just as well as good hockey.
Absolutely.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

I haven't been reading close enough to scrutinize the math, but I think you are missing a ton of kids that are NCAA players.

The number isn't:

Commits as of now/Players rostered in a year

It is:

Commits today and also years forward/Players rostered in a year

It takes some time to determine what happens to that player pool of 700+ kids. You can't measure it accurately today.
Be kind. Rewind.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

O-townClown wrote:I haven't been reading close enough to scrutinize the math, but I think you are missing a ton of kids that are NCAA players.
That is correct it is hard to find a central location that tracks the total NCAA D1 and D3 head count accurately. The NAHL site is far from accurate.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

O-townClown wrote:I haven't been reading close enough to scrutinize the math, but I think you are missing a ton of kids that are NCAA players.

The number isn't:

Commits as of now/Players rostered in a year

It is:

Commits today and also years forward/Players rostered in a year

It takes some time to determine what happens to that player pool of 700+ kids. You can't measure it accurately today.
I agree that there are kids currently without scholies that will eventually earn scholies omitted from that number, but the same holds true for the 138 USHL players without scholies. In other words, it doesn't work as a stand alone metric, but it still works as a comparative metric.

Just to be clear, I still think the NAHL is a fine league, and there is definitely some overlap with the USHL on an individual player basis, but the league on whole is clearly not on the same level. Good league though.