Warroad mascot

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

warriors41
Posts: 645
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:40 pm

Warroad mascot

Post by warriors41 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:48 am

http://www.warroadmnnews.com/mobile/def ... 1&ID=86278

Bound to happen sooner or later. I with they would have asked the local community their thoughts on the logo. I'm sure we will see a loud support for the Warrior mascot, especially from the local Native Americans. Henry Boucha has always been a vocal advocate for the mascot as a symbol of pride.

SCBlueLiner
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Post by SCBlueLiner » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:02 pm

Why would they ask for the opinion of the people that live there? They know what is best for you.

puckbreath
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Post by puckbreath » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:07 pm

SCBlueLiner wrote:Why would they ask for the opinion of the people that live there? They know what is best for you.
No kidding.

Ridiculous waste of time.

Regarding the Indians opinion on it, that won't matter; many didn't care about the UND fiasco either.

It's all about $...........

For the bottom feeding lawyers, and their "clients".

Many times these suits are just like personal injury suits; the client had no intention of a lawsuit until a lawyer contacted them.

The Exiled One
Posts: 1713
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:42 pm

People will be irked, but the school district and youth hockey association will concede to this demand and it'll be forgotten rather quickly. There's nothing wrong with the name Warriors, it's just the head logo. They've used jerseys in the past that were text only, which is what I assume they'll do again. Not really a big deal.

Image
Image

warriors41
Posts: 645
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:40 pm

Post by warriors41 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:48 pm

The Exiled One wrote:People will be irked, but the school district and youth hockey association will concede to this demand and it'll be forgotten rather quickly. There's nothing wrong with the name Warriors, it's just the head logo. They've used jerseys in the past that were text only, which is what I assume they'll do again. Not really a big deal.

Image
Image
The head logo was designed by one of the local Native Americans. Warroad specifically did it that way to make sure the logo/name got the respect it deserved. What's wrong with this issue is that they are just assuming the Native Americans around Warroad are offended by it, which couldn't be further from the truth. While Warroad uses the Indian head logo, many may have noticed we don't have an actual mascot that dresses the part for games. That's because that would be pushing the boundaries of being respectful to their heritage, which we've always wanted to maintain.

Another thing I noticed is that they are picking on three small schools while leaving colleges and pro sports out of it. It seems to me they are looking for someone to bully in the court room, and no one should let that slide. They know most school districts don't have the funding the to fight this in court and they just want easy victories.

SCBlueLiner
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Post by SCBlueLiner » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:54 pm

warriors41 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:People will be irked, but the school district and youth hockey association will concede to this demand and it'll be forgotten rather quickly. There's nothing wrong with the name Warriors, it's just the head logo. They've used jerseys in the past that were text only, which is what I assume they'll do again. Not really a big deal.

Image
Image
The head logo was designed by one of the local Native Americans. Warroad specifically did it that way to make sure the logo/name got the respect it deserved. What's wrong with this issue is that they are just assuming the Native Americans around Warroad are offended by it, which couldn't be further from the truth. While Warroad uses the Indian head logo, many may have noticed we don't have an actual mascot that dresses the part for games. That's because that would be pushing the boundaries of being respectful to their heritage, which we've always wanted to maintain.

Another thing I noticed is that they are picking on three small schools while leaving colleges and pro sports out of it. It seems to me they are looking for someone to bully in the court room, and no one should let that slide. They know most school districts don't have the funding the to fight this in court and they just want easy victories.
Everything you just said about the local design, etc. also applied to UND and we all know how that ended up. Seems to me they are moving on to high schools because they are out of colleges to bully and there really is nothing they can do about pro teams, legally speaking.

The Exiled One
Posts: 1713
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:59 pm

You know you guys can strip the images out of your replies, correct?

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6786
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:20 pm

The Exiled One wrote:There's nothing wrong with the name Warriors, it's just the head logo.
Henry Sibley retained the Warriors name but as I recall dropped the head logo (this was some years ago, and I believe they did it voluntarily, not under the threat of a lawsuit). Apparently you can still buy apparel with the logo, however:

https://www.alumniclass.com/henrysibley ... =1&group=2

Shinbone_News
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:50 am

Post by Shinbone_News » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:32 pm

If some Native Americans somewhere are offended, then that should be enough for non-Native folks to do the honorable thing.

You can't tell people to "get over it" and to "stop being so sensitive" and that it "honors your heritage" or even "the locals support it."

It doesn't work and never has, and the issue won't go away until it goes away.

puckbreath
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Post by puckbreath » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:39 pm

Shinbone_News wrote:If some Native Americans somewhere are offended, then that should be enough for non-Native folks to do the honorable thing.

You can't tell people to "get over it" and to "stop being so sensitive" and that it "honors your heritage" or even "the locals support it."

It doesn't work and never has, and the issue won't go away until it goes away.
And then the lawyers will make up some other gravy train to latch onto.

warriors41
Posts: 645
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:40 pm

Post by warriors41 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Shinbone_News wrote:If some Native Americans somewhere are offended, then that should be enough for non-Native folks to do the honorable thing.

You can't tell people to "get over it" and to "stop being so sensitive" and that it "honors your heritage" or even "the locals support it."

It doesn't work and never has, and the issue won't go away until it goes away.
Why should offended people living hundreds or thousands of miles away take priority over the local native community which overwhelmingly supports it?

Shinbone_News
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:50 am

Post by Shinbone_News » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:07 pm

Because that's the way the world works. It's connected, and it's bigger than Warroad, and people care who don't live there. Thems the facts.

east hockey
Site Admin
Posts: 6845
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:33 pm
Location: Proctor, MN
Contact:

Re: Warroad mascot

Post by east hockey » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:39 pm

warriors41 wrote:http://www.warroadmnnews.com/mobile/def ... 1&ID=86278

Bound to happen sooner or later. I with they would have asked the local community their thoughts on the logo. I'm sure we will see a loud support for the Warrior mascot, especially from the local Native Americans. Henry Boucha has always been a vocal advocate for the mascot as a symbol of pride.
Gee, I was wondering what Clyde Bellecourt was doing these days. Nice to see he's involved in something useful. :roll:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

puckbreath
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Re: Warroad mascot

Post by puckbreath » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:02 pm

east hockey wrote:
warriors41 wrote:http://www.warroadmnnews.com/mobile/def ... 1&ID=86278

Bound to happen sooner or later. I with they would have asked the local community their thoughts on the logo. I'm sure we will see a loud support for the Warrior mascot, especially from the local Native Americans. Henry Boucha has always been a vocal advocate for the mascot as a symbol of pride.
Gee, I was wondering what Clyde Bellecourt was doing these days. Nice to see he's involved in something useful. :roll:

Lee
I wonder what law firm(s) is hiding behind the name of "National Coalition Against Racism in Sports and Media".

kniven
Posts: 2317
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Warroad mascot

Post by kniven » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:07 pm

warriors41 wrote:http://www.warroadmnnews.com/mobile/def ... 1&ID=86278

Bound to happen sooner or later. I with they would have asked the local community their thoughts on the logo. I'm sure we will see a loud support for the Warrior mascot, especially from the local Native Americans. Henry Boucha has always been a vocal advocate for the mascot as a symbol of pride.
I just hope they don't come after my Lumberjack next...

warriors41
Posts: 645
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:40 pm

Re: Warroad mascot

Post by warriors41 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:23 pm

kniven wrote:
warriors41 wrote:http://www.warroadmnnews.com/mobile/def ... 1&ID=86278

Bound to happen sooner or later. I with they would have asked the local community their thoughts on the logo. I'm sure we will see a loud support for the Warrior mascot, especially from the local Native Americans. Henry Boucha has always been a vocal advocate for the mascot as a symbol of pride.
I just hope they don't come after my Lumberjack next...
It isn't fair to group everyone with a beard and flannel shirt as a lumberjack.

mulefarm
Posts: 1669
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: Warroad mascot

Post by mulefarm » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:24 pm

kniven wrote:
warriors41 wrote:http://www.warroadmnnews.com/mobile/def ... 1&ID=86278

Bound to happen sooner or later. I with they would have asked the local community their thoughts on the logo. I'm sure we will see a loud support for the Warrior mascot, especially from the local Native Americans. Henry Boucha has always been a vocal advocate for the mascot as a symbol of pride.
I just hope they don't come after my Lumberjack next...
I hope they don't go after the BSU Beavers?

kniven
Posts: 2317
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Warroad mascot

Post by kniven » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:43 pm

warriors41 wrote:
kniven wrote:
warriors41 wrote:http://www.warroadmnnews.com/mobile/def ... 1&ID=86278

Bound to happen sooner or later. I with they would have asked the local community their thoughts on the logo. I'm sure we will see a loud support for the Warrior mascot, especially from the local Native Americans. Henry Boucha has always been a vocal advocate for the mascot as a symbol of pride.
I just hope they don't come after my Lumberjack next...
It isn't fair to group everyone with a beard and flannel shirt as a lumberjack.

Laugh On Line. That is hilarious!! I can't stop chuckling at that one. Well done!

kniven
Posts: 2317
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Warroad mascot

Post by kniven » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:45 pm

mulefarm wrote:
kniven wrote:
warriors41 wrote:http://www.warroadmnnews.com/mobile/def ... 1&ID=86278

Bound to happen sooner or later. I with they would have asked the local community their thoughts on the logo. I'm sure we will see a loud support for the Warrior mascot, especially from the local Native Americans. Henry Boucha has always been a vocal advocate for the mascot as a symbol of pride.
I just hope they don't come after my Lumberjack next...
I hope they don't go after the BSU Beavers?
I think it's going to come to a point where all teams will just be named to city where they play getting rid of the mascot name. Or just call all the teams "white guy". That seems pretty safe.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6786
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Warroad mascot

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:38 am

[quote="kniven]Or just call all the teams "white guy". That seems pretty safe.[/quote]

No, it's discriminatory and possibly racist, if you're a non-white! :roll:

Duluthguy
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Duluthguy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:20 pm

Some colleges and universities, including Florida State, Illinois, and Central Michigan, have been allowed to keep their nicknames because of support from local tribes.

Shinbone_News
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:50 am

Re: Warroad mascot

Post by Shinbone_News » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:48 pm

east hockey wrote:
warriors41 wrote:http://www.warroadmnnews.com/mobile/def ... 1&ID=86278

Bound to happen sooner or later. I with they would have asked the local community their thoughts on the logo. I'm sure we will see a loud support for the Warrior mascot, especially from the local Native Americans. Henry Boucha has always been a vocal advocate for the mascot as a symbol of pride.
Gee, I was wondering what Clyde Bellecourt was doing these days. Nice to see he's involved in something useful. :roll:

Lee
Nice one, moderator. So much for being moderate. I can't say I'm at all surprised that this bored is not in the least sympathetic.


I'd fall off my chair if some of the old-skool, lefty, pro-union, working class, give 'em a fair shake, blue collar hockey dudes got off their ass and spoke a piece on this, but I'm not holding my breath. The Iron Range has really gone to hell, and Duluth with it.

"All of the local natives support it!" --Every white guy ever.

Shinbone_News
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:50 am

Post by Shinbone_News » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:00 pm

Clyde Bellecourt is hardly a carpetbagger. I dare say he's more local than you are. He's Ojibwe of the White Earth tribe, which is the nearest reservation to Warroad. He's best known as the co-founder of the American Indian Movement, but he also founded the Heart of the Earth Survival School, the Peacemaker Center for Indian youth, the AIM Patrol, the Legal Rights Center, MIGIZI Communications, the Native American Community Clinic, Women of Nations Eagle Nest Shelter, and American Indian OIC (Opportunities Industrialization Center, a job program to help Native Americans get full-time jobs.

What have you done lately, Lee? Just saying.

mn miracle man
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Post by mn miracle man » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:04 pm

SCBlueLiner wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:People will be irked, but the school district and youth hockey association will concede to this demand and it'll be forgotten rather quickly. There's nothing wrong with the name Warriors, it's just the head logo. They've used jerseys in the past that were text only, which is what I assume they'll do again. Not really a big deal.

Image
Image
The head logo was designed by one of the local Native Americans. Warroad specifically did it that way to make sure the logo/name got the respect it deserved. What's wrong with this issue is that they are just assuming the Native Americans around Warroad are offended by it, which couldn't be further from the truth. While Warroad uses the Indian head logo, many may have noticed we don't have an actual mascot that dresses the part for games. That's because that would be pushing the boundaries of being respectful to their heritage, which we've always wanted to maintain.

Another thing I noticed is that they are picking on three small schools while leaving colleges and pro sports out of it. It seems to me they are looking for someone to bully in the court room, and no one should let that slide. They know most school districts don't have the funding the to fight this in court and they just want easy victories.
Everything you just said about the local design, etc. also applied to UND and we all know how that ended up. Seems to me they are moving on to high schools because they are out of colleges to bully and there really is nothing they can do about pro teams, legally speaking.
Except that there was a dissenting tribe in UNDs case so not really the same thing. Warroad has complete support in the community and actually reads a "disclaimer" about the pride and honor of using the name from local Native Anericans at every home sporting event. Personally I don't believe this is one school this coalition will be able to bully.

Shinbone_News
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:50 am

Post by Shinbone_News » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:14 pm

mn miracle man wrote: Warroad has complete support in the community and actually reads a "disclaimer" about the pride and honor of using the name from local Native Americans at every home sporting event. .
Gosh that's awfully PC. It's almost like they think someone will have a problem with that.

Post Reply