Warroad mascot

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:30 pm

Shinbone_News wrote:Clyde Bellecourt is hardly a carpetbagger. I dare say he's more local than you are. He's Ojibwe of the White Earth tribe, which is the nearest reservation to Warroad. He's best known as the co-founder of the American Indian Movement, but he also founded the Heart of the Earth Survival School, the Peacemaker Center for Indian youth, the AIM Patrol, the Legal Rights Center, MIGIZI Communications, the Native American Community Clinic, Women of Nations Eagle Nest Shelter, and American Indian OIC (Opportunities Industrialization Center, a job program to help Native Americans get full-time jobs.

What have you done lately, Lee? Just saying.
Redlake is the closest reservation to Warroad. Chief Kaykaygeesick gave permission personally in the early 90's. Most of the native population in Warroad are from the Redlake tribe, although not all. You could at least look at a map to give yourself more credibility. You obviously don't understand the dynamic of the relationship in this town. You aren't in a position to comment on it. I welcome you to take a trip North and ask the locals what their opinion is. Mr. Bellecourt isn't in a position to speak for most of the Warroad native population. I believe Warroad is the only school in the state that offers a Native American language class in school along with a Native American arts and crafts class to honor their traditional techniques. You either don't know the history of the town going back to when the Ojibwe battled the Sioux, which is where the Warriors moniker comes from, for the rights to a trail. The name of that trail was Kaybekanung which translates to War-road. Do you suggest we change the name of the town as well?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content ... ndian-logo

Henry Boucha is quoted in this article and obviously this argument means a hell of a lot more coming from him than me. And just so you know, he is native. Not just another white guy you attributed your quote to.

Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:00 pm

warriors41 wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote:Clyde Bellecourt is hardly a carpetbagger. I dare say he's more local than you are. He's Ojibwe of the White Earth tribe, which is the nearest reservation to Warroad. He's best known as the co-founder of the American Indian Movement, but he also founded the Heart of the Earth Survival School, the Peacemaker Center for Indian youth, the AIM Patrol, the Legal Rights Center, MIGIZI Communications, the Native American Community Clinic, Women of Nations Eagle Nest Shelter, and American Indian OIC (Opportunities Industrialization Center, a job program to help Native Americans get full-time jobs.

Redlake is the closest reservation to Warroad. Chief Kaykaygeesick gave permission personally in the early 90's. Most of the native population in Warroad are from the Redlake tribe, although not all. You could at least look at a map to give yourself more credibility. You obviously don't understand the dynamic of the relationship in this town. You aren't in a position to comment on it. I welcome you to take a trip North and ask the locals what their opinion is. Mr. Bellecourt isn't in a position to speak for most of the Warroad native population. I believe Warroad is the only school in the state that offers a Native American language class in school along with a Native American arts and crafts class to honor their traditional techniques. You either don't know the history of the town going back to when the Ojibwe battled the Sioux, which is where the Warriors moniker comes from, for the rights to a trail. The name of that trail was Kaybekanung which translates to War-road. Do you suggest we change the name of the town as well?

Henry Boucha is quoted in this article and obviously this argument means a hell of a lot more coming from him than me. And just so you know, he is native. Not just another white guy you attributed your quote to.
Cool. That's great, I'll definitely be up in Warroad later this summer/fall and I'll definitely look forward to meeting folks.

Love Henry Boucha too, and think it's fine that he speaks for all Native Americans on this topic and should be the final word.

Just to clarify, several Minneapolis schools teach Ojibwe and Lakota. I realize that all Twin Cities people are subhuman by definition up north, but I just thought I'd let you know that Warroad does not stand alone in supporting the rights of MInnesota's indigenous people.

Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:14 pm

warriors41 wrote:

Also, it's traditionally seen as more respectful to actually separate "Red" and "Lake," ie "Red Lake."

Two words. I know, it's hard to follow along. Why do people care about these little things? It's almost like they want their culture to be respected by white people!

Gotta say it's awesome to get a lesson in indigenous history from a white Warroad hockey fan and learn that everything is just fine, we all friends here.

east hockey
Site Admin

Re: Warroad mascot

Post by east hockey » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Shinbone_News wrote:
east hockey wrote:
warriors41 wrote:http://www.warroadmnnews.com/mobile/def ... 1&ID=86278

Bound to happen sooner or later. I with they would have asked the local community their thoughts on the logo. I'm sure we will see a loud support for the Warrior mascot, especially from the local Native Americans. Henry Boucha has always been a vocal advocate for the mascot as a symbol of pride.
Gee, I was wondering what Clyde Bellecourt was doing these days. Nice to see he's involved in something useful. :roll:

Lee
Nice one, moderator. So much for being moderate. I can't say I'm at all surprised that this bored is not in the least sympathetic.

I'd fall off my chair if some of the old-skool, lefty, pro-union, working class, give 'em a fair shake, blue collar hockey dudes got off their ass and spoke a piece on this, but I'm not holding my breath. The Iron Range has really gone to hell, and Duluth with it.

"All of the local natives support it!" --Every white guy ever.
You get that one for free. Keep personalizing this.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Please tell us your story shinbone

Why will you be in warroad late summer early fall?
Bear and grouse hunting? Fishing?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:22 pm

I'm 1/40th Irish and take offense to Notre Dame's Fighting Irish logo. Are they insinuating that Irish folks have a history of liking to fight? Anybody know of a good lawyer?

:wink:

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:59 am

WendyClark wrote:Please tell us your story shinbone

Let's hear it shinbone. Enlighten us dim folk where you fit into this everlasting, pick a side puzzle?

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:57 am

edgeless2 wrote:
WendyClark wrote:Please tell us your story shinbone

Let's hear it shinbone. Enlighten us dim folk where you fit into this everlasting, pick a side puzzle?

I'd settle for his explanation of how - exactly, no "just cause" excuses - Warroad's logo is offense to Indians.

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:18 am

Actually Shin I think it should be Redlake since there is no separation and its all one word. "Lake" might feel bad being second. Really it should be redlake without the capital letter R since thats a bigger letter and may have some advantages while making the edlake portion feel bad which we can't tolerate. May also offend people that are smaller in stature. You know like little people. And don't get me going on how those offensive terms like squirts, peewees and midget hockey have stuck around for so long (no offense to the elderly). Trophies for everyone. :P

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:58 am

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Actually Shin I think it should be Redlake since there is no separation and its all one word. "Lake" might feel bad being second. Really it should be redlake without the capital letter R since thats a bigger letter and may have some advantages while making the edlake portion feel bad which we can't tolerate. May also offend people that are smaller in stature. You know like little people. And don't get me going on how those offensive terms like squirts, peewees and midget hockey have stuck around for so long (no offense to the elderly). Trophies for everyone. :P
I'm waiting for the vision impaired people to drop the hammer on Crookston's logo............

hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:39 am

I wonder when these same groups will go after the state of North Dakota as well. Their highway road signs depict an indian in a head dress and they have an indian for their state patrol car logo. I guess they don't see that as offensive. Instead they are going after small unknown schools and not the large targets like Florida State and the Atlanta Braves. Warroad will not change as the local indian tribes, mainly Ojibwe are in support and helped set the guidelines for the school name and logo. Their community is all about their indian heritage. That's how the town of Warroad came to be named what it is. The road to war depicting battles between the local Chippewa tribe at the time and the Sioux.

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:37 am

hockeywild7 wrote:I wonder when these same groups will go after the state of North Dakota as well. Their highway road signs depict an indian in a head dress and they have an indian for their state patrol car logo. I guess they don't see that as offensive. Instead they are going after small unknown schools and not the large targets like Florida State and the Atlanta Braves. Warroad will not change as the local indian tribes, mainly Ojibwe are in support and helped set the guidelines for the school name and logo. Their community is all about their indian heritage. That's how the town of Warroad came to be named what it is. The road to war depicting battles between the local Chippewa tribe at the time and the Sioux.
Both the Atlanta Braves and Florida State Seminoles have come under scrutiny for their nickname, logo and mascot. Why do you think Chief Noc-A-Homa was replaced by Homer (a guy with a giant baseball head). The same sanctions UND is facing where threatened against Florida State.

This fight has been going on since the 1940's. It got national attention in 2001 when the NAACP passed a resolution to stop the use Native American team names and images by non-Native American schools. The intentions of the program in question, or the opinions of the targeted group are of little importance. Special treatment for some schools stand in the way of removing these cultural stereotypes from the public consciousness.

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:13 am

luckyEPDad wrote:
hockeywild7 wrote:I wonder when these same groups will go after the state of North Dakota as well. Their highway road signs depict an indian in a head dress and they have an indian for their state patrol car logo. I guess they don't see that as offensive. Instead they are going after small unknown schools and not the large targets like Florida State and the Atlanta Braves. Warroad will not change as the local indian tribes, mainly Ojibwe are in support and helped set the guidelines for the school name and logo. Their community is all about their indian heritage. That's how the town of Warroad came to be named what it is. The road to war depicting battles between the local Chippewa tribe at the time and the Sioux.
Both the Atlanta Braves and Florida State Seminoles have come under scrutiny for their nickname, logo and mascot. Why do you think Chief Noc-A-Homa was replaced by Homer (a guy with a giant baseball head). The same sanctions UND is facing where threatened against Florida State.

This fight has been going on since the 1940's. It got national attention in 2001 when the NAACP passed a resolution to stop the use Native American team names and images by non-Native American schools. The intentions of the program in question, or the opinions of the targeted group are of little importance. Special treatment for some schools stand in the way of removing these cultural stereotypes from the public consciousness.

EP DAD. You must be a white guy.

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:15 am

kniven wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote:

EP DAD. You must be a white guy.
.......who wishes you were a minority. I know what you mean. I've been there before. I probably still am I guess. it just seems the world is a better place if your a minority and have something to bitch about.

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:46 am

luckyEPDad wrote:

Cultural Stereotypes? Targeted Group? You're just repeating some talking points that you read in PC Weekly. Who is the "targeted group" when using the name Warriors? Is it the local Native Population that fully supports using the name? And which stereotype is being promoted by the name Seminoles? Do you even know what a stereotype is?

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:06 am

Froggy Richards wrote: Do you even know what a stereotype is?
Home or car?

JVC, Clarion, Dolby, Pioneer, Alpine, Blaupunkt.....

Just to name a few.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:08 am

Of course, the irony of the situation, when such groups take such actions, is that *before* such actions, no one gave the logo, name, etc. a second thought, negative or otherwise.

But once a such lawsuits are filed, does anyone think that helps generate positive thoughts, respect, etc. towards the ones filing the suit ?.......

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:46 am

I did not read the whole thread, but you are wrong.

Red Lake is much closer to Warroad then Mahnomen. part of Warroad is in the reservation.

As far as the logo, I do not care one way or another. It is a nice looking logo with no disrespect being shown. If 100% of the Red Lake - 7 Clans anishinaabe like it then they should keep it. Because some one 1000 miles away is upset, too bad. There are people upset that we cut trees down, kill and eat animals, and pray to a god. Can't make everyone happy, but if we keep those close to us happy, then we have done our best.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:52 am

warriors41 wrote:

Red Lake school district does as does Bemidji.
Bemidji businesses and local government offices offer welcome and thank you in both English and Ojibwe.

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:02 pm

puckbreath wrote:Of course, the irony of the situation, when such groups take such actions, is that *before* such actions, no one gave the logo, name, etc. a second thought, negative or otherwise.

But once a such lawsuits are filed, does anyone think that helps generate positive thoughts, respect, etc. towards the ones filing the suit ?.......
I don't think that matters much what the feelings are towards the group or individual filing the suit. Those feelings will disappear after a couple of years and the offending name or image is gone forever.

As for the targeted group, that would be Native Americans or Original Peoples everywhere, not just those near Warroad. It really doesn't matter if Warroad HS has the blessing of local tribes or not. This is a national issue and even little Warroad will have national visibility.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:15 pm

luckyEPDad wrote:
puckbreath wrote:Of course, the irony of the situation, when such groups take such actions, is that *before* such actions, no one gave the logo, name, etc. a second thought, negative or otherwise.

I don't think that matters much what the feelings are towards the group or individual filing the suit. Those feelings will disappear after a couple of years and the offending name or image is gone forever.

As for the targeted group, that would be Native Americans or Original Peoples everywhere, not just those near Warroad. It really doesn't matter if Warroad HS has the blessing of local tribes or not. This is a national issue and even little Warroad will have national visibility.
Maybe, maybe not.

Point is, by doing such actions, they almost always have the reverse effect desired.

Follow the money....

CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:15 pm

Duluthguy wrote:Some colleges and universities, including Florida State, Illinois, and Central Michigan, have been allowed to keep their nicknames because of support from local tribes.
Actually, those colleges bought the "support" by giving the tribes millions of $$$ to keep quiet. That's why the NCAA doesn't go after them like they did UND.
50+ years of Spuds Hockey

Bulldog3489

Post by Bulldog3489 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:01 pm

The NCAA went after 30 schools in 2005 and they pretty much all ditched generic Indian mascots like Indians, Savages and Warriors. Before that, Marquette University ditched its Warrior mascot and logo.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Henry Boucha met with the National Coalition Against Racism in Sports and Media and after personally educating them on the history and culture of the Warroad area they have agreed to rescind their letter demanding the logo be dropped. Boucha has also accepted an invitation to sit on their board. It looks as though this matter has been put to rest for now.

A huge thank you to Mr. Boucha and many other people in the community who spoke up to further educate people on this issue. It was truly fantastic to watch.

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:31 pm

warriors41 wrote:Henry Boucha met with the National Coalition Against Racism in Sports and Media and after personally educating them on the history and culture of the Warroad area they have agreed to rescind their letter demanding the logo be dropped. Boucha has also accepted an invitation to sit on their board. It looks as though this matter has been put to rest for now.

A huge thank you to Mr. Boucha and many other people in the community who spoke up to further educate people on this issue. It was truly fantastic to watch.
Seems like they acted pretty hastily in rescinding the letter. What about the White Guy in Eden Prairie? Doesn't he deserve a meeting with the coalition. :lol: