Teams with Most D-I Players

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

nahc
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:10 pm

Post by nahc » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:30 pm

I am attempting to remember ANY team that had 7 D1 commitments on a team at the same time....... I could be totally wrong but is this a first? I don't believe Edina has 7 commitments on this years team nor does EP, Wayazata, Elk River, Rosseau, etc.......... so wouldn't this fact mean that Lakeville North has to be the overwhelming favorite?

Sats81
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:41 pm

nahc wrote:I am attempting to remember ANY team that had 7 D1 commitments on a team at the same time....... I could be totally wrong but is this a first? I don't believe Edina has 7 commitments on this years team nor does EP, Wayazata, Elk River, Rosseau, etc.......... so wouldn't this fact mean that Lakeville North has to be the overwhelming favorite?
LN only has 6 right now, not 7. Edina team last year had for sure 6 in Nanne, Fidler, Munson, Bellows, Zuhlsdorf, Malmquist and I'm certain over time will have several more from that Championship team commit to D1s.

Jefferson in early 90s had double digit D1 players on 93 team I believe and the 95-98 teams at Duluth East teams for sure had 6-7 guys on each team that played D1.

In my opinion, I don't think because LN has 6 D1 commits at this point are they the "overwhelming favorite" In fact, I don't even think they are the favorite. Until someone shows Edina otherwise, they are it.

Doc Holliday
Posts: 577
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: SW Suburbs

Post by Doc Holliday » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:20 pm

Sats81 wrote:Jefferson in early 90s had double digit D1 players on 93 team I believe and the 95-98 teams at Duluth East teams for sure had 6-7 guys on each team that played D1.
By my count, I got 9. (If any errors, please correct)
-Checco
-Crowley
-Dusty Anderson
-LaFleur
-Ian Petersen
-Parrish
-Mike Anderson
-Bianchi
-DeWolf

Clymer, Toby Petersen, & Ryan Trebil were on the state champ Bantam A's in '92-'93. Joe Pankratz went off to the USHL (a rarity for a guy who was only a junior at that time).

Another handful played college hockey at lower levels.

Rather impressive & definitely the gold standard....

The Exiled One
Posts: 1769
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:36 pm

Sats81 wrote: Edina team last year had for sure 6 in Nanne, Fidler, Munson, Bellows, Zuhlsdorf, Malmquist and I'm certain over time will have several more from that Championship team commit to D1s.
They could rival the 9 from the Bloomington-Jefferson team. Wait for sure, Dornbach probably, Pugh probably, Mismash maybe, Rohkohl maybe.

Sats81
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:42 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
Sats81 wrote: Edina team last year had for sure 6 in Nanne, Fidler, Munson, Bellows, Zuhlsdorf, Malmquist and I'm certain over time will have several more from that Championship team commit to D1s.
They could rival the 9 from the Bloomington-Jefferson team. Wait for sure, Dornbach probably, Pugh probably, Mismash maybe, Rohkohl maybe.
I think this LN team will as well.....Max Johnson for sure, Enebak maybe, incoming sophs...Keaton Pehrson very likely, Dufon maybe, Reed Smith maybe.

WestMetro
Posts: 2972
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Jefferson undefeated in 1993. Next best since were Apple Valley, Roseau and Centennial with 1 loss each ( and no ties.)

Sats81
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:58 pm

WestMetro wrote:Jefferson undefeated in 1993. Next best since were Apple Valley, Roseau and Centennial with 1 loss each ( and no ties.)
Think 97 Duluth East team was only one loss as well (State championship game vs Edina)

WestMetro
Posts: 2972
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:20 pm

The three I mentioned were the closest three to undefeated, only one loss and no ties

Duluth East had a loss and a tie in 97. Elk River did also in 2001.

keepyourheadup
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:07 pm

Post by keepyourheadup » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:36 pm

That was indeed a great group at Jefferson but I'm not convinced it is the highest number of D1 guys. The 76-77 Edina east team had at least 10, and I believe it was even more. Off the top of my head
Pepper
Pearson
Bjerken
Hampson
Hampson
Terwilliger
Donnelly
Brown
Kelly
I realize this just 9 but I know there were more.
Check the wall of fame at Braemar and it's really amazing.


The teams in Grand Rapids about the same time were loaded too, had to be close to ten on some of those teams.

keepyourheadup
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:07 pm

Post by keepyourheadup » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:39 pm

They were 24-0 until RJM shocked them in the finals when PaulButters stood on his head. He'll the JM team must of had 5 or 6

Gopher Blog
Posts: 1548
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:14 am
Contact:

Post by Gopher Blog » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:42 pm

nahc wrote:IN MY OPINION, the Gophers are going away from tough, hard nosed, defensemen and moving towards fleet skating, puck handling D. I think it showed in the playoffs last year when the Gophs had struggles against those teams with big strong forwards who chased the puck into the corners and put the body on the D. I kind of see these exact traits with the 2 LN defensemen. Big kids who can skate, shoot the puck and pass the puck but struggled attempting to move players out of the front of the net and when they were checked and had to muck it up along the boards.
I'm not really sure where you have been over the last 15 years but Lucia has always favored the puck moving defensive types over the bigger guys that aren't as adept with the puck. He was that way going back to his days at CC for that matter. College hockey is more of a skating, skill game these days. Especially with obstruction and the bigger hits seemingly being cracked down on more than ever. Better have guys that can move their feet and cut down the angles with speed and their reach. Especially on non-regulation size rinks.

Considering the Gophers were the 3rd best defensive team in the nation the last two seasons, I'm not sure it was quite the issue you think.

WestMetro
Posts: 2972
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:50 pm

Exiled One, might either Fuss, Bohlby, Foley or Meyer potentially also be added to your supplemented Edina list? That could potentially bring the total over 10.

Bluewhitefan
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:43 am

Post by Bluewhitefan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:14 pm

WestMetro wrote:Exiled One, might either Fuss, Bohlby, Foley or Meyer potentially also be added to your supplemented Edina list? That could potentially bring the total over 10.
Nine Edina kids mentioned, but not Masterman? Lots of hockey experts here. Better player than any of the nine mentioned.

WestMetro
Posts: 2972
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:39 pm

Good catch by BlueWhiteFan.

So the Edina consolidated list includes:

Six commits

Nanne, Fidler, , Bellows, Zuhlsdorf, Malmquist , Dornbach

Three more probables

Wait, Munson, Masterman , ,

Three more possibles

Mismash , Rohkohl, Pugh

Four more remotes, but not to be ruled out:

Fuss, Bohlby, Foley, Meyer

Potentially sixteen altogether, but certainly a dozen is within reach

WestMetro
Posts: 2972
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:07 pm

Corrected Below:

So the Edina consolidated list from last Marchs championship team:

Six commits

Nanne, Fidler, , Bellows, Zuhlsdorf, Malmquist , Munsen

Three more probable:

Wait, Masterman , Dornbach

Three more possibles:

Mismash , Rohkohl, Pugh

Four more remotes, but not to be ruled out:

Fuss, Bohlby, Foley, Meyer

Potentially sixteen altogether, but certainly a dozen is within reach

karl(east)
Posts: 6247
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Post by karl(east) » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:01 am

Sats81 wrote:I think Edina will have a lot to say about the state championship as they are indeed the defending back to back state champs. Plus, when was the last time a AA team went through entire season and won the tourney undefeated? I believe '93 Jefferson did it, and possibly Centennial '04?

Karl, any help on this?
93 Jefferson was the last one, yes. 1997 East and 2008 Roseau made State undefeated, but lost there. There have been a few 1-loss champs since (96 Apple Valley, 98 East, 99 Roseau, 01 Elk River, 04 Centennial) and a few other 1-loss teams that made State (94 and 95 Jefferson, 97 Mayo, 2002 Roseville, 2010 Minnetonka, 2012 East).

One thing we should point out in these discussions: schedules for the top teams have, generally, gotten a lot harder over the past 15 years. Despite its dominance by the end last season, Edina still lost 4 games, which is probably average or even on the high side for losses by a state champ. I think Edina and North will both be great teams this coming season and are very deserving of frontrunner status--maybe even by a lot--but I don't expect either one to go undefeated.

As for the number of D-I players question, it's actually surprisingly common for teams to have 6-8. In any given year, there are probably a couple that do. I have a bloated spreadsheet on this where I tried to count everyone on significant teams over the past 20 years, though I haven't updated it with anything from last season yet.

12 on 1996 Duluth East is the most D-I players I have recorded on a team (though a handful of those were very brief D-I careers). They had 10 in 97. I've got 1993 Jefferson at 10. Both those squads were over 5 pretty much every year in the mid to late 90s.

Hill and Edina were routinely over 5 in the 90s as well. It looks like Edina has had at least 8 D-I players on its roster every year since 2007. (I need to update them.) Hill has been 6+ in most years recently. Without even looking at the numbers, 2012 Benilde should be easily into that range, if not higher. 1999 Roseau had 8, and their great mid-00s teams had 5. Blaine, EP, Moorhead, and Elk River have all had moments over 5. I've got Holy Angels at 9 in 2003; 8 in 02 and 04. 2010 Minnetonka's up there, and 2012 Duluth East probably will be before all is said and done.

Sometimes these things sneak up on you since it takes a number of the players several years to go through juniors and end up D-I. The state champ probably averages 6 or so.

u12dad
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:06 pm

Post by u12dad » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:05 am

Try looking at 76-77 Grand Rapids State Champs, I believe there were 15 or 16 who went on to play D1 and the Edina team of 77-78 was close to that.

GR3343
Posts: 1198
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:39 pm

Post by GR3343 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:00 am

u12dad wrote:Try looking at 76-77 Grand Rapids State Champs, I believe there were 15 or 16 who went on to play D1 and the Edina team of 77-78 was close to that.
D1 a little different back then, but in context GR in '90 had quite a few -

Marinucci - UMD
Fairchild - Wisconsin
Nielson - U of M
Roy - UMD
Cusey - Notre Dame
Christy - Air Force
Retka - Air Force
Nobs - Air Force
Holum - St. Cloud

There may have been others I missed on that team and several others played D2 from that time as well.
Last edited by GR3343 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Character is who you are when no one is watching

bauerman
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:06 am

Post by bauerman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:13 am

In his column in the Pioneer Press on sunday I believe Charlie Walters wrote that STA has 7 D-1 players from the 2013 team

MoreCowBell
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:04 pm

Post by MoreCowBell » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:02 am

Funny how this topic turns into a Edina brag fest. 1983 State Champ Hill team went 25-0.

WestMetro
Posts: 2972
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:27 pm

Yes, lets not forget the Hill Miracle Team.

About once per decade undefeated/untied perfect season had been the pattern since the 60s. Johnson and IFalls(twice) in the 60s, Edina one in the 70s, Hill in the 80s, Jefferson in the 90s, and no one since.

Agree with Karl, its getting increasingly difficult to pull off the perfect miracle in the modern environment, especially for the top metro teams as well as the top northern teams that play heavy statewide schedules.

The Edina team a few years from now might be a possibility, with the number of nationally ranked bantams in the Edina youth system.

More likely, a team like Roseau could conceivably pull it off someday, with a relatively weaker regular season schedule , and peaking and with a bit more luck all the way through to the championship at the X. ( My sense was for some reason Roseau underperformed their talent level during the regular season last year, but then finished with a bang)

puckbreath
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Post by puckbreath » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:35 pm

WestMetro wrote:Yes, lets not forget the Hill Miracle Team.

About once per decade undefeated/untied perfect season had been the pattern since the 60s. Johnson and IFalls(twice) in the 60s, Edina one in the 70s, Hill in the 80s, Jefferson in the 90s, and no one since.

Agree with Karl, its getting increasingly difficult to pull off the perfect miracle in the modern environment, especially for the top metro teams as well as the top northern teams that play heavy statewide schedules.

The Edina team a few years from now might be a possibility, with the number of nationally ranked bantams in the Edina youth system.

More likely, a team like Roseau could conceivably pull it off someday, with a relatively weaker regular season schedule , and peaking and with a bit more luck all the way through to the championship at the X. ( My sense was for some reason Roseau underperformed their talent level during the regular season last year, but then finished with a bang)

Roseau's regular season was about what it should have been. They were very weak defensively, and offensively, were a one line team.

WestMetro
Posts: 2972
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:51 pm

Thought they should have won the first two against TRF and even Blaine at home. They Blaine game was closer than score indicated.

Thought they were capable of splitting with Warroad for sure and maybe even EGF with a bit of luck

Grand Rapids game was a flip of the coin.

Having said all that, they still would have had lost 3 games going into the X. Far from perfect season.

Hope someday they can reassemble another great group of talented seniors, and make their 35th(?) run to the X for a 28 -0 record.

green4
Posts: 1477
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:02 am
Location: Edina

Post by green4 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:30 am

a little late to the party but for what its worth the 2012-2013 Edina team that won state has 9 right now who are commits or playing college hockey

Reno-RPI
Nelson-Princeton
Anderson-Princeton
Munson-Army
Fidler-Ohio State
Hurley-Notre Dame
Brauer-Notre Dame
Malmquist-Norte Dame
Nanne-Ohio State

Jordahl went to play DIII but who knows if he would have went out like Brauer did for a year of juniors he might of got a chance at D1

I would say by the end this team will have 10 maybe 11. I think Masterman has a solid chance and then maybe Foley or Mismash

Lazy Scout
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:06 am

Post by Lazy Scout » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:46 am

Well if Edina has that many D1 and possibly more this year, then I am going with Edina with a three-peat this year at winning state. I don't see any other team besides Lakeville that will even give them a game. Be prepared for another Hornet state champion.

Post Reply