Teams with Most D-I Players

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

O-townClown wrote:It was probably 1989 or 1990 when Jenny Hanley was their best goalie. Maybe that was the year Andy Jones played.
1987-88: Bertram, Jones was backup, along with Matt Seaver (Jones was a Sr.)
1988-89: Bertram, with Mike Schaefer as backup.
1989-90: Schaefer started, but by mid year, freshman Ben Henrich.
1990-91: Henrich early in the year, but by end of the year, Hanley was starter for end of year & playoffs.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Thanks for clarifying, Doc.

Matt Sever was given a shot before Bertram in the 86-87 season, but once he got a shot Bertram was a clear #1 for his time with the Hornets.

Ben Henrich would go on to become USA Hockey's National Junior Player of the Year.
Be kind. Rewind.
The Huge Hook

Post by The Huge Hook »

cosomrules wrote:Edina 1982 had 14 D1

Dave Maley Wisconsin
Bill Brauer Michigan
Wally Chapman Minn
John Devoe Notre Dame
Mike Mccarthy CC
Dave Baker CC
Tom Rzeszut Yale
Jim Lozinski Denver
Mike Devoe Harvard
Dan Wurst Providence
Mike Roberts Dartmouth
Jeff Vacanti Northern Michigan
Kevin Galbraith Minn
Paul Roff Ohio State

Paul Ranheim Wisconsin couldn't even make team as a sophomore!
This list is correct and includes 6 NHL draft choices (4 in '82 and 2 in '83).

oops....Dan Carroll Michigan Tech = 15
bsmguy

Post by bsmguy »

BSM 2012 team has 8 so far

Labosky-CC
Besse-Wis
Moore-Holy Cross
Horton-Lowell
Horn-St. Lawrence
Newhouse-Union
Collins-Minn
Glover-Minn

One or two could be added down the road.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

'bout time the Huge Hook chimed in!
Be kind. Rewind.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Modified Updated List of Teams with 10 or more D1s Below,
for Continued Review .

15 - 1982 Edina (increased from 14)
13 - 1976 Grand Rapids
12 - 1996 Duluth East
12 - 1977 Edina
11- 1975 Grand Rapids
10- 1997 Duluth East
10- 2010 Minnetonka
10- 1993 Jefferson
10- 1986 Edina
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Looked for a roster for Minnetonka for 07-08 season and couldn't find one. Off the top of my head they had quite a few D1 players.
ted2you

2013-2014 EGF

Post by ted2you »

For a team without one D1 Scholarship commitment from their 2013-14 team at this moment, this team has a lot of players to watch and you can bet the college across the river has its eyes on a number of these players.

Locks to play D1
Colton Poolman
Tye Ausmus
Dixon Bowen

Too young to call locks but there has to be a ton of interest in.
Grant Loven
Tanner Tweeten

Surprised if they don't play somewhere in D1
Eddie Eades
Brandon Loven

Outside chance
Reed Corbid
Taylor Brierly
blueblood

Tonka 07-08

Post by blueblood »

Tonka 07-08:

All 6 Defensemen:
Jake Gardiner (Sr.)- Wisc
Anthony Raiola (Sr.) - UMass
Nate Jensen (Sr.) - PSU
Justin Holl (Soph.) - Minny
Andrew Prochno (Soph.)- SCSU (Played some fwd. this year too)
Troy Hesketh (Soph.) - Wisco; but didn't play

Fwds:
Sam Coatta (Jr.) - Union
Max Gardiner (Soph.)- Minny then xfer to PSU

Goalie
Jimmy Krueger (Soph.)- Dartmouth
shakey

Post by shakey »

Sats81 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:So...

13 - 1976 Grand Rapids
12 - 1996 Duluth East
12 - 1977 Edina

Do we have a consensus? Are we all okay with this as the "official" list of teams with the most D1 players to this point?
These are incredibly impressive numbers. My good pal keepyourheadup constantly tells me how great that 77 Edina team was.
They were a great team. Lost one game that season. Anyone know who that might have been?
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

The Huge Hook wrote:
cosomrules wrote:Edina 1982 had 14 D1

Dave Maley Wisconsin
Bill Brauer Michigan
Wally Chapman Minn
John Devoe Notre Dame
Mike Mccarthy CC
Dave Baker CC
Tom Rzeszut Yale
Jim Lozinski Denver
Mike Devoe Harvard
Dan Wurst Providence
Mike Roberts Dartmouth
Jeff Vacanti Northern Michigan
Kevin Galbraith Minn
Paul Roff Ohio State

Paul Ranheim Wisconsin couldn't even make team as a sophomore!
This list is correct and includes 6 NHL draft choices (4 in '82 and 2 in '83).

oops....Dan Carroll Michigan Tech = 15

For the record, Dan Carroll attended Michigan. His brother Jimmy was the Carroll brother who played at Michigan Tech.

As was stated previously, the 1982 team was the first year of the re-combined Edina High School after nine years of Edina East and Edina West. As a result, the 1982 Edina team had (as I recall) 21 returning letter-winners from the '81 East and West teams.

And the 1977 team with 12 DI college players was Edina East, not Edina.
puckbreath

Re: 2013-2014 EGF

Post by puckbreath »

ted2you wrote:For a team without one D1 Scholarship commitment from their 2013-14 team at this moment, this team has a lot of players to watch and you can bet the college across the river has its eyes on a number of these players.

Locks to play D1
Colton Poolman
Tye Ausmus
Dixon Bowen

Too young to call locks but there has to be a ton of interest in.
Grant Loven
Tanner Tweeten

Surprised if they don't play somewhere in D1
Eddie Eades
Brandon Loven

Outside chance
Reed Corbid
Taylor Brierly
Think you're being a bit optimistic with some of your picks, but time will tell I guess.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

shakey wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:So...

13 - 1976 Grand Rapids
12 - 1996 Duluth East
12 - 1977 Edina

Do we have a consensus? Are we all okay with this as the "official" list of teams with the most D1 players to this point?
These are incredibly impressive numbers. My good pal keepyourheadup constantly tells me how great that 77 Edina team was.
They were a great team. Lost one game that season. Anyone know who that might have been?
The JM team that beat Edina was no slouch with at least 8 D1 kids. What makes those numbers from teams from the 1970's even more impressive is that you could only dress 18 kids per game then.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Reposting same previous list, no other teams have been presented with 10 or more confirmed Dls.... ( Minnetonka 08 team was only 9.)

Edina 2013 team has next best chance of being added to list.

For now, going once, going twice......

Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Modified Updated List of Teams with 10 or more D1s Below,
for Continued Review .

15 - 1982 Edina (increased from 14)
13 - 1976 Grand Rapids
12 - 1996 Duluth East
12 - 1977 Edina (East)
11- 1975 Grand Rapids
10- 1997 Duluth East
10- 2010 Minnetonka
10- 1993 Jefferson
10- 1986 Edina
mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 »

Well at least Chris Hickey wasn't the biggest bust of a draft pick from Minnesota. Troy Hesketh gets that honor. He was HORRIBLE at Hamline.
bsmguy

Post by bsmguy »

Here is an odd one. The BSM 09-10 had 9 D1 players, but only went 16-6 and lost in the section semis to Tonka.

Five of these players were 9 th and 10th graders, which is probalby why the team was not great that year, but won the State two years later.

9th
Labosky-CC
Besse-Wis
Moore-Holy Cross
10th
Horton-Lowell
Horn-St. Lawrence
1th
Steinhauser-St. Lawrence
Daley-Wisconsin
12th
Patterson-Dartmouth
Meyers-Q-Pac
Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 »

mghockey18 wrote:Well at least Chris Hickey wasn't the biggest bust of a draft pick from Minnesota. Troy Hesketh gets that honor. He was HORRIBLE at Hamline.
Don't forget about David Fischer, 1st round draft pick of the Montreal Canadiens. Didn't do much at the U of M. Played 2 seasons in the ECHL, only 2 games in the AHL and now plays in Europe.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I've been working at updating my spreadsheet--here's an update on recent teams that are close to 10 D-I players:

Upon further review, 2010 Minnetonka "only" has 9 (6 current D-I, 3 committed/starting this coming season). Steve Johnson didn't really play varsity that year.

2009 Edina also has 9 (and that's not counting the injured Zach Budish). 2010 Edina has 8 (assuming Louie Nanne makes it). 2011 Edina also has 8, with a realistic shot at 10--Brauer, Nelson, and Walsh all just finished their first year of juniors. 2012 also probably does.

Looking around, I can see some of the recent Benilde teams getting close, probably to 9 or so. 2011/2012 Tonka and Duluth East will also probably be in the upper single digits when all is said and done, but I'm not sure I see anyone getting up to 10.

I'm only formally updating things through 2011, as anything later just is too complicated with players who are still in juniors or high school. And yes, I will make this available in the not-so-distant future.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

karl(east) wrote:I've been working at updating my spreadsheet--here's an update on recent teams that are close to 10 D-I players:

Upon further review, 2010 Minnetonka "only" has 9 (6 current D-I, 3 committed/starting this coming season). Steve Johnson didn't really play varsity that year.

2009 Edina also has 9 (and that's not counting the injured Zach Budish). 2010 Edina has 8 (assuming Louie Nanne makes it). 2011 Edina also has 8, with a realistic shot at 10--Brauer, Nelson, and Walsh all just finished their first year of juniors. 2012 also probably does.

Looking around, I can see some of the recent Benilde teams getting close, probably to 9 or so. 2011/2012 Tonka and Duluth East will also probably be in the upper single digits when all is said and done, but I'm not sure I see anyone getting up to 10.

I'm only formally updating things through 2011, as anything later just is too complicated with players who are still in juniors or high school. And yes, I will make this available in the not-so-distant future.
Karl, Bo Brauer is on the Notre Dame roster for this season so I think you can count him.
green4

Post by green4 »

C-dad wrote:
karl(east) wrote:I've been working at updating my spreadsheet--here's an update on recent teams that are close to 10 D-I players:

Karl, Bo Brauer is on the Notre Dame roster for this season so I think you can count him.
Nelson is also on Princeton's roster. As for Walsh I'm fairly confident he has hung up the skates. He is at a university now and does not appear to be playing for their team.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

green4 wrote:
C-dad wrote:

Nelson is also on Princeton's roster. As for Walsh I'm fairly confident he has hung up the skates. He is at a university now and does not appear to be playing for their team.
Thanks. In that case, assuming Brauer, Nelson, Girard, and Nanne all play as expected, 2011 Edina will become the first team with 10+ since 1997.

Talent-wise that group was probably better than the one that won a title the year before, but for whatever reason they never quite put it all together. They were still very good, but finished 4th. 2012 should also hit 10, but that was a very young team, so they're not quite in the same league.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

green4 wrote:
C-dad wrote:

Sorry to hear about Walsh. Talked to his dad at a rink last year and he seemed pretty positive about being able to find a spot after playing juniors.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Ted2You. Can you provide an update on the 2013-2014 EGF team?

Karl, are you saying the Skips 2010 team capped out at 9 , not 10? (Steve Johnson had no varsity time that entire year?? BTW, he got an assist for the Gophers at UMD last weekend). In other words, no team since Duluth East 1997 has made it to 10?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

WestMetro wrote:Karl, are you saying the Skips 2010 team capped out at 9 , not 10? (Steve Johnson had no varsity time that entire year?? BTW, he got an assist for the Gophers at UMD last weekend). In other words, no team since Duluth East 1997 has made it to 10?
Correct. Now that Coatta has made his NCAA debut, they are at 9. Johnson had zero points that season and did not make the playoff roster, so it's hard to justify counting him.