Teams with Most D-I Players

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GTTN

Post by GTTN » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:01 pm

Tonka 09-10 had 11.

Holl
Prochno
Gardiner
Hesketh
Kruger
Coatta
Baskin
Rothstein
Johnson
Schuldt
Schutt

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:46 pm

GTTN wrote:Tonka 09-10 had 11.

Holl
Prochno
Gardiner
Hesketh
Kruger
Coatta
Baskin
Rothstein
Johnson
Schuldt
Schutt
Did Hesketh ever actually play a D-I game? I know he committed, but I don't think that ever quite worked out. (If we're using that standard, we can add yet another to the 95/96 Duluth East teams in Chris Locker.)

And while it would be easy to write in Edina as the state champ given their number of D-I players, it's worth noting how many teams in that ballpark haven't won state titles. I count 21 teams in my spreadsheet with 8+ D-I players, but only 8 of them closed the deal and won it all. Even when you factor out the ones that were in the same year (ie. both 2010 Tonka and Edina are in that ballpark, so both couldn't win), you still probably only get half of them winning.

At a certain point, you hit a level of diminishing returns. The 1996 Apple Valley-Duluth East game is a good example of this. East had over 10 D-I players, while AV had six (plus another elite one who played baseball instead. But AV rolled two lines all night, and those two lines somehow never got all that tired. East did play a deeper lineup, but AV held up in spite of that, and it was enough for them to pull out the win.

I'd argue that the functional difference between a team with 3 D-I players and a team with 6 D-I players is much larger than the difference between a team with 6 and a team with 10.

And, of course, there can be a wide talent gap between D-I commits, and there's also the question of whether they're seniors or sophomores. The recent EP championship teams didn't have a whole ton of D-I players, but they did have some absolutely dominant ones (Leddy, Rau), and that 2011 team was very, very senior heavy. The East team they beat for the title will probably end up with more D-I players, but not one of them was a senior.

u12dad

Post by u12dad » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:48 am

u12dad wrote:Try looking at 76-77 Grand Rapids State Champs, I believe there were 15 or 16 who went on to play D1 and the Edina team of 77-78 was close to that.
Grand Rapids 1976 State Champs 13 D-1, 2 Canadian Juniors, 4 NHL Draft Choices:
Don Lucia Notre Dame
Dave Akre Penn
Scott Kleinendorst Providence
Bill Hoolihan RPI
Pete DeCenzo RPI
Doug Bymark St. Lawrence
Jim Jetland U of M
Gary DeGrio UMD
Tom Madson UMD
Al Cleveland UMD
Bill Rothstein UMD
Dan Lempe UMD
Erin Roth UMD

1977 Edina Hornets, 12 D-1:
Scott Hampson CC
Gody Hampson CC
Tom Kelly CC
Mark Gagnon Cornell
John Donnelly Dartmouth
Mike Lauen Michigan Tech
Mel Pearson Michigan Tech
Bret Bjerken Michigan Tech
Bill Peterson Northern Michigan
Paul Gagnon Notre Dame
Steve Pepper U OF M
Dave Terwilliger U OF M

Grand Rapids 1975 State Champs 11 D-1, 1 Canadian Juniors, 4 NHL Draft and 1980 Olympic Gold Medal:
Don Lucia Notre Dame
David Akre Penn
Bill Hoolihan RPI
Peter DeCenzo RPI
Doug Bymark St. Lawrence
Bill Baker U of M
Tom Madson UMD
Allan Cleveland UMD
John Rothstein UMD
Dan Lempe UMD
Erin Roth UMD

By the way, there is a great website for MN State High School Hockey Tournament with rosters and picts:

http://history.vintagemnhockey.com/page ... nt-history

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:22 am

karl(east) wrote:

Holl
Prochno
Gardiner
Hesketh
Kruger
Coatta
Baskin
Rothstein
Johnson
Schuldt
Schutt
Did Hesketh ever actually play a D-I game? I know he committed, but I don't think that ever quite worked out. (If we're using that standard, we can add yet another to the 95/96 Duluth East teams in Chris Locker.)

And while it would be easy to write in Edina as the state champ given their number of D-I players, it's worth noting how many teams in that ballpark haven't won state titles. I count 21 teams in my spreadsheet with 8+ D-I players, but only 8 of them closed the deal and won it all. Even when you factor out the ones that were in the same year (ie. both 2010 Tonka and Edina are in that ballpark, so both couldn't win), you still probably only get half of them winning.

At a certain point, you hit a level of diminishing returns. The 1996 Apple Valley-Duluth East game is a good example of this. East had over 10 D-I players, while AV had six (plus another elite one who played baseball instead. But AV rolled two lines all night, and those two lines somehow never got all that tired. East did play a deeper lineup, but AV held up in spite of that, and it was enough for them to pull out the win.

I'd argue that the functional difference between a team with 3 D-I players and a team with 6 D-I players is much larger than the difference between a team with 6 and a team with 10.

And, of course, there can be a wide talent gap between D-I commits, and there's also the question of whether they're seniors or sophomores. The recent EP championship teams didn't have a whole ton of D-I players, but they did have some absolutely dominant ones (Leddy, Rau), and that 2011 team was very, very senior heavy. The East team they beat for the title will probably end up with more D-I players, but not one of them was a senior.
Don't think Hesketh did every play a D1 game... believe he was a Wisconsin commit and was drafted in 2nd or 3rd round but ended up playing D3 at Hamline or something???

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:24 am

So...

13 - 1976 Grand Rapids
12 - 1996 Duluth East
12 - 1977 Edina

Do we have a consensus? Are we all okay with this as the "official" list of teams with the most D1 players to this point?

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:35 pm

The Exiled One wrote:So...

13 - 1976 Grand Rapids
12 - 1996 Duluth East
12 - 1977 Edina

Do we have a consensus? Are we all okay with this as the "official" list of teams with the most D1 players to this point?
These are incredibly impressive numbers. My good pal keepyourheadup constantly tells me how great that 77 Edina team was.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:37 pm

Added the 11s and 10s, so includes the more modern era Minnetonka team. Someone can double check what I added, and I guess the Skips were the only recent era team 10 or more to date? And someone might want to rename/separate most of this thread so it notates the Top D1 Teams

13 - 1976 Grand Rapids
12 - 1996 Duluth East
12 - 1977 Edina

11 2010 Minnetonka
11 1975 Grand Rapids
10 1997 Duluth East
10 1993 Jefferson

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:51 pm

Sats81 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

Holl
Prochno
Gardiner
Hesketh
Kruger
Coatta
Baskin
Rothstein
Johnson
Schuldt
Schutt

Don't think Hesketh did every play a D1 game... believe he was a Wisconsin commit and was drafted in 2nd or 3rd round but ended up playing D3 at Hamline or something???
And only played 19 games at Hamline..
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=120925[/url]

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:05 pm

WestMetro wrote:Added the 11s and 10s, so includes the more modern era Minnetonka team. Someone can double check what I added, and I guess the Skips were the only recent era team 10 or more to date? And someone might want to rename/separate most of this thread so it notates the Top D1 Teams

13 - 1976 Grand Rapids
12 - 1996 Duluth East
12 - 1977 Edina

11 2010 Minnetonka
11 1975 Grand Rapids
10 1997 Duluth East
10 1993 Jefferson
Given the information on Hesketh, 2010 Tonka should only be at 10. Otherwise, this list matches what I have, though I do need to review the recent Edina teams, and maybe 2012 Benilde when everyone's done with juniors. It'll take a few years before we have final counts on the recent teams.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:21 am

I believe the Tonks team had 2 Coatta's, One is at Union and the other is playing juniors and is committed to Mankato.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:10 am

mulefarm wrote:I believe the Tonks team had 2 Coatta's, One is at Union and the other is playing juniors and is committed to Mankato.
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/stats/team_i ... ool=137153

Sam didn't play that season.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:13 pm

WestMetro wrote:Added the 11s and 10s, so includes the more modern era Minnetonka team. Someone can double check what I added, and I guess the Skips were the only recent era team 10 or more to date? And someone might want to rename/separate most of this thread so it notates the Top D1 Teams

13 - 1976 Grand Rapids
12 - 1996 Duluth East
12 - 1977 Edina

11 2010 Minnetonka
11 1975 Grand Rapids
10 1997 Duluth East
10 1993 Jefferson
1986 Edina

Ranked #1 after the season, the Hornets were defeated in a monumental upset by Richfield at Met Center. Several Spartans stepped up bigtime, most notably Damian Rhodes who would go on to a long NHL career.

Jim Carroll – co Metro POY (shared with Scott Bloom – Michigan Tech
Jay Moore – Denver University
Pete Hankinson – U of Minnesota
Tim Kuehl – Notre Dame
Ben Hankinson – U of Minnesota
Charlie Henrich – Michigan Tech
Rob Mendel – U of Wisconsin
Jeff Sanderson – U of Wisconsin
John Carlin – Notre Dame (3 games)
Mike O’Hara – St. Cloud State University

HM: Brennan Maley – AHL 32 games, ECHL 38 following college baseball career

Let's call it 10. Notre Dame was transitioning from Club to NCAA Division I in the late 80s. If someone wants to throw that one out I'll argue that 70 pro games for someone that chose another sport over college hockey qualifies.

There were several 10th graders on JV that year that went on to play NCAA as well, so the 1988 number might be close to 10.

Sanderson
Hentges
Vickman
Copeland
Terwilliger
Rahn
Nevers
Bertram

Probably forgetting some.
Be kind. Rewind.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:56 pm

Modified Updated List of Teams with 10 or more D1s Below,
for Continued Revew

13 - 1976 Grand Rapids
12 - 1996 Duluth East
12 - 1977 Edina
11 1975 Grand Rapids
10 1997 Duluth East
10 2010 Minnetonka
10 1993 Jefferson
10 1986 Edina

OTC

Do you recall the starting and backup Edina goalies during the 86,87,88

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:36 pm

WestMetro wrote: OTC

Do you recall the starting and backup Edina goalies during the 86,87,88
1986 was an equal split of Andrew Walser & Mike O'Hara. Mike played his junior year at Hill-Murray.

1987, as I recall, was an adventure in net. The team finished about .500 and went on a streak to qualify for the state tournament, but a friend swears the team wasn't bad and would have had a better record if they found the answer in net sooner. I think Matt Sever was one of the goalies they tried. Possibly Andy Jones too. It ended up being Matt Bertram, who played at Vermont.

1988 was probably Bertram all year, when he was probably a Junior. They were State Champs in a wide open tournament, with a thrilling win over Warroad in the semi.

It was probably 1989 or 1990 when Jenny Hanley was their best goalie. Maybe that was the year Andy Jones played.

For all of his success in goal as a player, and all of his success later in life as a coach, I'm not sure Willard Ikola did much with his goalies. 1987 is a big reason I say that. It took a while to find the right guy, and it ended up being someone they didn't consider first, second, or third.

You didn't ask, but in case you care it was Chris Schwartzbauer in 1984 and Kurt Woltersdorf in 1985.
Be kind. Rewind.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:48 pm

1982 Edina had a lot of Div 1 players. It was the first year back after East & West merged.

Dave Maley - Wisconsin
Paul Roff - Ohio St.
Bill Brauer - Michigan
Dan Carroll - Michigan (Hockey DB shows only 2 games)
Dan Wurst - Providence
Wally Chapman - Minnesota
Mike McCarthy - Colorado College
Jim Lozinski - Denver (Hockey DB shows only 2 games)
John DeVoe - Providence
Mike DeVoe - Harvard (Hockey DB shows only 1 game)

Mike Wurst was cut from Edina's Varsity, but he was drafted by the Maple Leafs and enjoyed a nice college career at Ohio St.

The records in Hockey DB for that era aren't always complete. It is possible these guys played more than it indicates. They also could have been team members that didn't get to dress for a lot of games.

I count at least 10 from that team, and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing somebody.
Be kind. Rewind.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:59 pm

1984 Edina

Tom Terwilliger - Miami
Craig Shepherd - USIU & Michigan St.
Greg Dornbach - Miami
Paul Ranheim - Wisconsin
Marty Nanne - Minnesota
Jeff Johnson - Miami

Jay Moore, Pete Hankinson, Charlie Henrich & Rob Mendel (mentioned above) played in the state tournament as Sophomores.

I believe goalie Chris Schwartzbauer may have played at Army, but records for West Point are hard to find.

Dean Williamson played for Minnesota as well. I don't recall if he was on the Hornets for just his Senior year (1985) or for two. He transferred in from Breck.

That team has at least 10-11. I also wouldn't be surprised if 1983 Edina hits the mark as well with several of these guys as Juniors.
Be kind. Rewind.

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:48 am

O-townClown wrote:1982 Edina had a lot of Div 1 players. It was the first year back after East & West merged.

Dave Maley - Wisconsin
Paul Roff - Ohio St.
Bill Brauer - Michigan
Dan Carroll - Michigan (Hockey DB shows only 2 games)
Dan Wurst - Providence
Wally Chapman - Minnesota
Mike McCarthy - Colorado College
Jim Lozinski - Denver (Hockey DB shows only 2 games)
John DeVoe - Providence
Mike DeVoe - Harvard (Hockey DB shows only 1 game)

Mike Wurst was cut from Edina's Varsity, but he was drafted by the Maple Leafs and enjoyed a nice college career at Ohio St.

The records in Hockey DB for that era aren't always complete. It is possible these guys played more than it indicates. They also could have been team members that didn't get to dress for a lot of games.

I count at least 10 from that team, and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing somebody.
John DeVoe started at Notre Dame and went to Providence after Notre Dame dropped their program.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:25 am

O-townClown wrote:

13 - 1976 Grand Rapids
12 - 1996 Duluth East
12 - 1977 Edina

11 2010 Minnetonka
11 1975 Grand Rapids
10 1997 Duluth East
10 1993 Jefferson
1986 Edina

Ranked #1 after the season, the Hornets were defeated in a monumental upset by Richfield at Met Center. Several Spartans stepped up bigtime, most notably Damian Rhodes who would go on to a long NHL career.

Jim Carroll – co Metro POY (shared with Scott Bloom – Michigan Tech
Jay Moore – Denver University
Pete Hankinson – U of Minnesota
Tim Kuehl – Notre Dame
Ben Hankinson – U of Minnesota
Charlie Henrich – Michigan Tech
Rob Mendel – U of Wisconsin
Jeff Sanderson – U of Wisconsin
John Carlin – Notre Dame (3 games)
Mike O’Hara – St. Cloud State University

HM: Brennan Maley – AHL 32 games, ECHL 38 following college baseball career

Let's call it 10. Notre Dame was transitioning from Club to NCAA Division I in the late 80s. If someone wants to throw that one out I'll argue that 70 pro games for someone that chose another sport over college hockey qualifies.

There were several 10th graders on JV that year that went on to play NCAA as well, so the 1988 number might be close to 10.

Sanderson
Hentges
Vickman
Copeland
Terwilliger
Rahn
Nevers
Bertram

Probably forgetting some.
Notre Dame was club up until late 80's?

Weren't they NCAA div 1 in 70s??

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:30 am

Sats81 wrote:

Irish were NCAA DI from '68 through '82, went Club in '83, back to Varsity DI in '84-85.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:51 am

C-dad wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

Irish were NCAA DI from '68 through '82, went Club in '83, back to Varsity DI in '84-85.
Interesting, never knew that. Thanks

cosomrules

Post by cosomrules » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:50 am

Edina 1982 had 14 D1

Dave Maley Wisconsin
Bill Brauer Michigan
Wally Chapman Minn
John Devoe Notre Dame
Mike Mccarthy CC
Dave Baker CC
Tom Rzeszut Yale
Jim Lozinski Denver
Mike Devoe Harvard
Dan Wurst Providence
Mike Roberts Dartmouth
Jeff Vacanti Northern Michigan
Kevin Galbraith Minn
Paul Roff Ohio State

Paul Ranheim Wisconsin couldn't even make team as a sophomore!

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:19 pm

Sats, Notre Dame was part of the Gophers league back in the day. When the briefly dropped NCAA hockey and returned, it was initially as a non-scholarship (or at least reduced scholarship) program. So as they ramped up there was a window of a year or two where they were refilling the cupboard.

I believe several Notre Dame players transferred to Providence at the same time.
Be kind. Rewind.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:03 pm

Modified Updated List of Teams with 10 or more D1s Below,
for Continued Review

14 - 1982 Edina
13 - 1976 Grand Rapids
12 - 1996 Duluth East
12 - 1977 Edina
11 1975 Grand Rapids
10 1997 Duluth East
10 2010 Minnetonka
10 1993 Jefferson
10 1986 Edina

Again, would be helpful if someone could grab all the non Sadek comments from this thread and transfer to a new thread titled Top Minn HS teams with most D1 Commits

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:33 pm

Split off the Sadek topic, as requested.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:53 am

I think the '80 state championship game had over 20 D1 players on the ice that night. GR and Hill.
Not sure of the total but I know it was an impressive display.