Section 3A 2014 - 2015

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

lamplighter98

Post by lamplighter98 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:46 am

Bettman's Bender wrote:
Whiner33 wrote:
gingerroll wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:If anyone else would like to earn 10$ publicly bashing high school boys. Please, sign up here on the Section 3A high school hockey thread. These boys wont know the difference.
I don't think Jonny was bashing high school kids. Looked like he was getting under your skin. Or should I say Roseau South or Edina West.

Just to let you know Herb that there is a lot of hockey in the state and Luverne is just a blip on the map.
We all know you look pretty cute in your red hair ginger but I'd back off a bit you got your two cents in for what it's worth. It's cute you guys need ten doll hairs...

Herb brings great insight to the thread and you guys can't stand the truth from him.

Best of luck calling kids out on here. We all know yours never skated ginger!!
Better luck next time!

Please enlighten us to a time when Herb or anyone with the Red Goggles on has provided this thread with any "great insight."

If we define "great insight" as notifying the general public at every opportunity how unreasonably great "Luverne/Roseau South/Edina West/Pipestone South/Lost to SPA East" is then we have an issue in and of itself. Then again, this is 3A. This section is still a generation or two from actually understanding hockey. So I guess I'm not surprised that some people's hockey satiety is satisfied by the insight provided in this thread.

Seriously please show me where this insight occurs. I'm too lazy to go back and look.

I keep telling you all, there are some great resources online where you can actually pick up on alot of the X's and O's of hockey. Hockey is a sport where if you don't know what you're looking for, anyone who can do a nice toe drag and has a nice pair of spendy skates will look like a good player to you.

Once you understand the game, you'll really get a real appreciation for the way a team like the L.A Kings often play.

Whiner. I don't think anyone was calling out kids. They made a bet on trigger happy notTonight who I will now refer to as Mr. Hall Monitor. (We all know that guy who takes their gig just a bit too seriously.) Mr. Hall Monitor.

I'll go $20 with somebody on here that the next time Luverne loses we don't hear from the red hat ladies (luverne fan club) on here for a few days. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, let's compare High School hockey play to the reigning Stanley Cup and PROFESSIONAL NHL team. BRAVO!!! seems real logical. Maybe in the summer these little punks will make plays just like the Giants, and kids on the football field will play like the Seahawks.

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:01 am

Bettman's Bender wrote:
Whiner33 wrote:
gingerroll wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:If anyone else would like to earn 10$ publicly bashing high school boys. Please, sign up here on the Section 3A high school hockey thread. These boys wont know the difference.
I don't think Jonny was bashing high school kids. Looked like he was getting under your skin. Or should I say Roseau South or Edina West.

Just to let you know Herb that there is a lot of hockey in the state and Luverne is just a blip on the map.
We all know you look pretty cute in your red hair ginger but I'd back off a bit you got your two cents in for what it's worth. It's cute you guys need ten doll hairs...

Herb brings great insight to the thread and you guys can't stand the truth from him.

Better luck next time!

Please enlighten us to a time when Herb or anyone with the Red Goggles on has provided this thread with any "great insight."

If we define "great insight" as notifying the general public at every opportunity how unreasonably great "Luverne/Roseau South/Edina West/Pipestone South/Lost to SPA East" is then we have an issue in and of itself. Then again, this is 3A. This section is still a generation or two from actually understanding hockey. So I guess I'm not surprised that some people's hockey satiety is satisfied by the insight provided in this thread.

Seriously please show me where this insight occurs. I'm too lazy to go back and look.

I keep telling you all, there are some great resources online where you can actually pick up on alot of the X's and O's of hockey. Hockey is a sport where if you don't know what you're looking for, anyone who can do a nice toe drag and has a nice pair of spendy skates will look like a good player to you.

Once you understand the game, you'll really get a real appreciation for the way a team like the L.A Kings often play.

Whiner. I don't think anyone was calling out kids. They made a bet on trigger happy notTonight who I will now refer to as Mr. Hall Monitor. (We all know that guy who takes their gig just a bit too seriously.) Mr. Hall Monitor.

I'll go $20 with somebody on here that the next time Luverne loses we don't hear from the red hat ladies (luverne fan club) on here for a few days. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Since you guys wanna put money on the line out here why don't you boys pony up all your proceeds and give to a charity?! Tis the season for giving boys!! Think most of your guys pockets are sewn shut on here... Since 10 and 20 doll hairs is such a big item now!

As far as what a Chaz is, he's a great kid playing the game he loves to play!!

Since you're such a great setup artist hawkenjohnny maybe you could help Vanek out??

Ps.. The red hat ladies would love your donation...

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:48 am

On that note. Check out the InSportsFoundation. It was actually started by a couple of my buddies from school. (Hockey players) The foundation helps less fortunate kids be able to play sports, hockey in particular.

Among other things, they do custom apparel orders for your team with proceeds going to the foundation. So contact them if you want team apparel. Pretty neat If you ask me

TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:50 pm

There might be some D1 potential down there, but they're still a long ways off. Derek Frentz from Mankato West put up some pretty good HS numbers against (although not as gaudy as the Luverne players) against much better competition and was taken in the firs round of the NA draft. This year he's got two goals in thirty games in the NA. Does he still have D1 potential? Sure, but lets not start throwing D1 scholarships all over the place based off some pretty good numbers against a pretty soft schedule.

Kids who are that talented often develop some pretty bad habits by the time they're upperclassmen and have no idea how to get the puck from the opposition when they go to juniors/college and play kids on a similar talent level.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:56 pm

TheSiouxSuck wrote:There might be some D1 potential down there, but they're still a long ways off. Derek Frentz from Mankato West put up some pretty good HS numbers against (although not as gaudy as the Luverne players) against much better competition and was taken in the firs round of the NA draft. This year he's got two goals in thirty games in the NA. Does he still have D1 potential? Sure, but lets not start throwing D1 scholarships all over the place based off some pretty good numbers against a pretty soft schedule.

Kids who are that talented often develop some pretty bad habits by the time they're upperclassmen and have no idea how to get the puck from the opposition when they go to juniors/college and play kids on a similar talent level.
You very well may be correct. I know a lot of the Luverne faithful were proud and impressed to see Coach Grant Potulny in the building on saturday. It is an indication the program is headed in the right direction. It has never happened before.

Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:12 pm

notTONIGHT wrote:
TheSiouxSuck wrote:There might be some D1 potential down there, but they're still a long ways off. Derek Frentz from Mankato West put up some pretty good HS numbers against (although not as gaudy as the Luverne players) against much better competition and was taken in the firs round of the NA draft. This year he's got two goals in thirty games in the NA. Does he still have D1 potential? Sure, but lets not start throwing D1 scholarships all over the place based off some pretty good numbers against a pretty soft schedule.

You very well may be correct. I know a lot of the Luverne faithful were proud and impressed to see Coach Grant Potulny in the building on saturday. It is an indication the program is headed in the right direction. It has never happened before.
The Big Three from Luverne are al very good hockey players. I DISLIKE the Luverne cyber patrol on here as much as anyone. However, those three players have a very good skill set.

Nelson is a LOCK for D1- Size and strength and great hockey IQ will be drafted in the first round of the WHL Draft this year. Will have some choices to make on what route he wants to take will also have an invite to the US Developmental Program after his Sophomore year. Kid is very good and one really should get out to watch him while he is still in our area.

Smedsrud I think will have a very good chance to play D!- Kid has a nice skill set. Natural Goal scorer can tell he has grown physically and the Elite League helped his game alot. IF he sticks around for his senior year next year he will be match up nightmare. Still has work to do but a year or two in Juniors I think he will have a very good chance to be picked up by a D1 school for sure will play college hockey.

Sengvongxay is a little tougher to predict. He has a D1 shot and speed but as a defenseman he is undersized. He will need a year or two in Juniors to clean up some areas of his game. He has really good potential and will have a chance at D1 as well.

For a tiny town of Luverne's size to have that kind of talent on one team Very Impressive. They are NOT Roseau South.... BUT they are in a corner of State where there is no hockey tradition or comparable talent to grow up playing against.

A tip of the cap to the Youth Program and parents of those kids for going beyond the obstacles and somehow still developing really nice players.

When is comes to college hockey it all comes down to the kid, I mean we had a kid play Junior Gold his senior year and through hard work and persistence in junior hockey he earned a D1 Scholarship so anything is possible.

Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Also, to TheSiouxSuck don't forget rare athletes can come out of anywhere.

Your own New Ulm Alumni Jamie Hoffman who grew up playing in a weak area of the State for hockey and stayed his senior year. Still was drafted in the NHL and had a full ride to CC had he decided to go that route.

Great talent can over come the obstacles of where they play and these bad habits you speak of. It truly comes down to the kid.

Here is hoping we see many kids from 3A make it to the next level would be huge for the growth of the sport in this area.

TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:35 pm

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Also, to TheSiouxSuck don't forget rare athletes can come out of anywhere.

Your own New Ulm Alumni Jamie Hoffman who grew up playing in a weak area of the State for hockey and stayed his senior year. Still was drafted in the NHL and had a full ride to CC had he decided to go that route.

Great talent can over come the obstacles of where they play and these bad habits you speak of. It truly comes down to the kid.

Here is hoping we see many kids from 3A make it to the next level would be huge for the growth of the sport in this area.
Not saying that it cant happen. Hoffman had an NHL body as a 17 year old senior and spent his 18 year old year playing in the USHL. Even with his athleticism (which allowed him to have offers to play two sports professionally) he needed a year of juniors to break some of the habits he developed by being bigger and stronger than everyone at the HS (and to a lesser degree, the Junior level).

That year we lost to Lourdes 2-1 in double OT (when they were #1 in state) and to Totino 3-1 with an empty netter (who ended up winning state).

The Big Three from Luverne all have potential, but need a bit of work before they're to be considered locks. Tony Selvog led the state in scoring and won the State title for warroad and didnt even make it out of the NA. Brandon Harrington for Lourdes was an All Tournament team selection as a Freshman and Sophomore, and struggled to put up 20 points in the USHL (although he ended up as a career 6 point guy at Dartmouth).

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:37 pm

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:When is comes to college hockey it all comes down to the kid, I mean we had a kid play Junior Gold his senior year and through hard work and persistence in junior hockey he earned a D1 Scholarship so anything is possible.

Pipestone has a Junior gold team?? :idea: :?:

Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:04 pm

TheSiouxSuck wrote:
Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Also, to TheSiouxSuck don't forget rare athletes can come out of anywhere.

Not saying that it cant happen. Hoffman had an NHL body as a 17 year old senior and spent his 18 year old year playing in the USHL. Even with his athleticism (which allowed him to have offers to play two sports professionally) he needed a year of juniors to break some of the habits he developed by being bigger and stronger than everyone at the HS (and to a lesser degree, the Junior level).

That year we lost to Lourdes 2-1 in double OT (when they were #1 in state) and to Totino 3-1 with an empty netter (who ended up winning state).

The Big Three from Luverne all have potential, but need a bit of work before they're to be considered locks. Tony Selvog led the state in scoring and won the State title for warroad and didnt even make it out of the NA. Brandon Harrington for Lourdes was an All Tournament team selection as a Freshman and Sophomore, and struggled to put up 20 points in the USHL (although he ended up as a career 6 point guy at Dartmouth).
Fair enough.

New Ulm had a fine team that year. I believe they took #1 Lourdes to Double OT without Hoffman who missed the playoffs due to mono. Shows the true depth of that team.

Just was pointing out he was playing the Waseca's and Fairmont's and still was able to make the adjustments to play at the net level in hockey and be drafted by the NHL.

It comes down to the KID. Selvog was a phenom in Warroad (Not a SOFT Schedule) and didn't have the intangibles to play at the next level.

We could debate all year about where you play will determine your future success but the true X factor is the KID. If they have the drive and will to make it they will if they don't they wont.

I meant "we" as in the state of MN offer kids numerous chances to grow up in a community based model and still succeed at the next level. If we can have 3A kids (The weakest area of our State for hockey) make it to the next level it would speak volumes to the debate of community based vs. Tier One AAA and MN High School vs. Junior Hockey.

I don't have the answers just saying comparing a Mankato West kid to a another 3A kid is really unfair. Just as comparing Hoffman to one of the Big Three.

If the kid has the drive and wants it bad enough our State offers chances for those kids to succeed.

Would love to see more 3A alumni play on after school. Some kids make the jump to early and actually hinders their development. Every kid is different so lets not compare.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:25 pm

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:
TheSiouxSuck wrote:

Fair enough.

New Ulm had a fine team that year. I believe they took #1 Lourdes to Double OT without Hoffman who missed the playoffs due to mono. Shows the true depth of that team.

Just was pointing out he was playing the Waseca's and Fairmont's and still was able to make the adjustments to play at the net level in hockey and be drafted by the NHL.

It comes down to the KID. Selvog was a phenom in Warroad (Not a SOFT Schedule) and didn't have the intangibles to play at the next level.

We could debate all year about where you play will determine your future success but the true X factor is the KID. If they have the drive and will to make it they will if they don't they wont.

I meant "we" as in the state of MN offer kids numerous chances to grow up in a community based model and still succeed at the next level. If we can have 3A kids (The weakest area of our State for hockey) make it to the next level it would speak volumes to the debate of community based vs. Tier One AAA and MN High School vs. Junior Hockey.

I don't have the answers just saying comparing a Mankato West kid to a another 3A kid is really unfair. Just as comparing Hoffman to one of the Big Three.

If the kid has the drive and wants it bad enough our State offers chances for those kids to succeed.

Would love to see more 3A alumni play on after school. Some kids make the jump to early and actually hinders their development. Every kid is different so lets not compare.
Hey trout, what about the hutch team this year? They have some potential right?

Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:43 pm

notTONIGHT wrote:
Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:
TheSiouxSuck wrote:

Fair enough.

Hey trout, what about the hutch team this year? They have some potential right?
Hutch has a nice group of Juniors this year who have grown up this season.

I think that Cowger will play on. He has a really nice touch and good size as well as speed. I hope he goes to Juniors I think he has a really good potential of moving on and playing at a higher level.

The following year look at Graf and Piechowski have potential of playing on in the Junior class.

Many Hutch kids are like Glaser their main sport is Football Hutch is and will always be a Football Town.

I like their group a lot this year. I think they will be very in the playoffs as will New Ulm. As I keep saying don't sleep on a youthful LDC team also. Should be a fun race in 3A.

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Trout, glad you're back! Must of taken you a long time polishing those flat black football helmets? Congrats on your State football run this year!

The year of the Arrow!

spamtownusa

Post by spamtownusa » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:58 pm

Wow. A lot of love going on in the 3a thread. 3AScout defending the Luverne kids... Whiner welcoming him back... notTONIGHT asking only a semi sarcastic question. Must be the holiday season. Merry Christmas to all.

sterfry9

Post by sterfry9 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:30 pm

spamtownusa wrote:Wow. A lot of love going on in the 3a thread. 3AScout defending the Luverne kids... Whiner welcoming him back... notTONIGHT asking only a semi sarcastic question. Must be the holiday season. Merry Christmas to all.
its making me sick. too much love going around here, need to revert back to the good trap games and luverne isnt a contender times :lol:

Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:03 pm

No need to Troll Luverne this year. I have InigoMontoya and Glorious return of Marhall's Bettman Bender for that.

InigoMontoya thinks beating a (3-5) Totino-Grace has no upside. TG would walk through 3A this year even if they are down a little. They have lost to name a few EGF, TRF, Blaine, Minnetonka.

No Trap Game here TG will beat Luverne and would beat an other team in 3A . For the section purposes I hope Luverne can keep it respectable.

InigoMontoya I like your LDC squad this year but to disrespect a traditional Class A power like TG as they say on ESPN "COME ON MAN"!!

Don't worry though Luverne will eat their crow this year. They have great top end talent but the depth is suspect and there is plenty of teams that want to end their season. Shut down Nelson and Smedsrud you will beat the Cardinals this year.

In the Playoffs it comes down to Goaltending which speaking of brings me to Bettman Bender great to have the best troll of the message board when it comes to 3A. Come on guys he knows more about hockey then anyone else who came out of SW MN EVER!! Just let him tell you

He lives in Moorhead now so that makes him more of an expert then the rest of us clowns down here.

Love it Bettman always appreciate your commentary and glad to have you trolling again!! The 3A thread is alive and well. No need for my commentary this year.

The games are played on the ice.

I think we are in for a fun battle in the 2nd half of the year there is no dominate team this year. 3A is up for grabs... Well Besides Worthington :shock:

hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:48 am

Whiner33 wrote:
Bettman's Bender wrote:
Whiner33 wrote:
gingerroll wrote:

Better luck next time!

Since you guys wanna put money on the line out here why don't you boys pony up all your proceeds and give to a charity?! Tis the season for giving boys!! Think most of your guys pockets are sewn shut on here... Since 10 and 20 doll hairs is such a big item now!

As far as what a Chaz is, he's a great kid playing the game he loves to play!!

Since you're such a great setup artist hawkenjohnny maybe you could help Vanek out??

Ps.. The red hat ladies would love your donation...
Should have known with your inflammatory tendencies Whiner and Herb that even a little joke (admittedly at your expense) would trigger an overblown response. Oh wait... I guess that is how I won the bet... by knowing exactly that. I STILL enjoy watching what happens with the Luverne team and they are a great story of a program that has really committed to building something from the younger levels up which is great. I have seen the Nelson kid play in the summer and I guess I should apologize for hurting your feelings by not knowing who your players are by name?? Pretty sure you don't follow my kids team that close either guys so have a much needed glass of holiday cheer and RELAX. Just because everyone doesn't agree with all of your assessments doesn't mean you don't have a good team. I hope all the parental dreams are realized and we see these kids at a higher level. ALL teams are full of 'great kids playing the game they love'. Glad you got to see the gopher coach in your building. As a gopher/wild fan I wish SOMEONE could set up Vanek as he is really struggling to find the net. I would give my ten bucks to that charity if you can find it.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:40 am

hawkenjonny wrote:Should have known with your inflammatory tendencies Whiner and Herb that even a little joke (admittedly at your expense) would trigger an overblown response. Oh wait... I guess that is how I won the bet... by knowing exactly that. I STILL enjoy watching what happens with the Luverne team and they are a great story of a program that has really committed to building something from the younger levels up which is great. I have seen the Nelson kid play in the summer and I guess I should apologize for hurting your feelings by not knowing who your players are by name?? Pretty sure you don't follow my kids team that close either guys so have a much needed glass of holiday cheer and RELAX. Just because everyone doesn't agree with all of your assessments doesn't mean you don't have a good team. I hope all the parental dreams are realized and we see these kids at a higher level. ALL teams are full of 'great kids playing the game they love'. Glad you got to see the gopher coach in your building. As a gopher/wild fan I wish SOMEONE could set up Vanek as he is really struggling to find the net. I would give my ten bucks to that charity if you can find it.
Ever won anything before jony? Sure hanging on to this one....

hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:56 am

Yep every once in awhile. Just don't know why if you don't always agree with the red crowd you are 'bashing kids' and know nothing about hockey. Been around the game all my life at many levels. Don't know everything but I do know putting up big numbers in a weak section/conference doesn't necessarily translate to success at the next level(s). Sure hope little timmy.tommy, etc reach the level that makes YOU feel successful. Pretty big chip on the shoulder there. Oh, and I am working on memorizing your roster names so I don't hurt feelings by not knowing who they are. Come north off the farm and play in the snow, maybe your thin skin will thicken up a bit!

lamplighter98

Post by lamplighter98 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:30 am

hawkenjonny wrote: Don't know everything but I do know putting up big numbers in a weak section/conference doesn't necessarily translate to success at the next level(s).!
very true, in every sport, but you can't hide talent.

hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:06 pm

lamplighter98 wrote:
hawkenjonny wrote: Don't know everything but I do know putting up big numbers in a weak section/conference doesn't necessarily translate to success at the next level(s).!
very true, in every sport, but you can't hide talent.
Can't argue that. I have always advocated for kids staying home to play and that people will find talent wherever it is. I am NOT being sarcastic about these top end kids down there and I DO hope they get everything they have obviously worked for. Recognition on the state level of their team is happening which is how people up here now are interested in 3A hockey. Seeing nice stuff at the Bantam and PeeWee levels as well from Luverne so development is coming. There are just so many really good players in the state that you can only judge talent by what it does against talent. Also sick of the jabbering on this thread about the Big Three and no depth. Do these guys do it all alone out there? Hockey is a team sport as much as any out there in my opinion. Only as good as your weakest link.

TooMuchFUn

Come up North...

Post by TooMuchFUn » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Well yes, the Bantam A team from the "South" was up "North" (just this weekend)....Duluth....Great Fun...but a long Drive!

TooMuchFUn

Post by TooMuchFUn » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:37 pm

Sorry...last message meant for hawk and jonny!

hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Yep saw that they did well in Duluth. Kudos for making the trip and a successful tourney

OU812

Post by OU812 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:17 pm

Sioux, I'll take the bait like the good Scarlet fan that I am, but your point is valid - it is a long, long way from a So Minn high school to a D1 offer, and a look at some numbers shows why:

First of all, there are maybe 200 MN kids playing D1 right now, most of them 21-25 years old, and virtually all of them played extensively in juniors. Southern Minn kids have their hands full just trying to make it in one of the top two U.S. junior leagues: the USHL, for example, has about 25 MN '96 birth year players right now, and if we exclude Shattuck kids, I can't think of any from HS programs south of the metro. Most USHL kids are already signed to a D1 school.

As for the NAHL, Derek is one of about 75 Minnesota HS kids in the league right now (and one of 20 '96 birth years - all but three of the rest are 95's and 94's). To say the least, there is a lot of competition. I heard an estimate that over 1400 American and foreign players attended NA main camps last summer, and that 2500 or so went to open or pre draft camps earlier in the summer just trying to earn a spot in a main camp. Those players were fighting with returning NA players for about 450 opening day NA roster spots (btw Sioux, typically less than half of players drafted in the June NA draft make opening day rosters). When the USHL cuts from 30 to 23 players in September (or any other time), those cut players drop down to the NA and take spots, which sends a certain number of NA players down to Tier III.

As for Tier III, I have no idea how many MN kids are out there playing across the country in all of the 11 USA Hockey tier III sanctioned leagues, but I do see about 130 MN kids currently listed as playing in the NA3HL alone - most playing 50 game seasons and hoping to move up. Finally added to the mix, MN high schools rostered almost 3000 players this winter.

Almost all these kids mentioned above dream of D1 hockey. So, yeah, a D1 scholarship is pretty tough to come by.

One useful comparison for this topic might be Logan Norman, a '96 Luverne senior from last year who had 65 points, and is now in the NA3HL in Alexandria, where he is doing well and 8th on the team in scoring with 15 pts.

Having said all that, you have to give some credit here where it's earned by the current Luverne kids. Smedsrud's strong elite league play tells you more than his results with Luverne do; I'd say right now he is in the top 30 MN high school players in the '98 birth year, which certainly puts him in the D1 mix if you ask me. Nelson is harder to judge, but as a 2000, it won't take much further development before he is there too.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away (the 3A thread does that to a lot of people, I see). Southern Minn HS hockey is very healthy, and hopefully there will be a lot more HS kids in this conversation in the future.