Section 3A 2014 - 2015

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

If Nelson goes to the WHL he would give up his NCAA Eligibility. He will more then likely be heading to Ann Arbor the U-17 Developmental Program as that is the new trend with early Gopher Recruits. I am guessing he would of gone higher in the WHL had he not signed with the Gophers in April.

Awesome news for Smedsrud to get drafted in the USHL. Will he be back for his Senior year or are we looking at an early departure?

Other 3A news out there? Who will the the next New Ulm Coach? Is Marshall still AA or are they back in 3A. How are things looking in Up and Coming Redwood Valley?

I think both LDC and Hutchinson look to have solid teams next year how are things going there?

Will Worthington, Fairmont, Windom, Morris Benson be as bad as the Stats they lost from their team suggests?

Willmar will they be improved they bring most of their key pieces back from last year ??
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

I would think Smedsrud will be back for his senior year. If anything I hope he would do what Kyle Rau did. Practice and play with the Stampede up until the high school season starts then play his senior year and return to the Stampede after winning the state tournament. :D
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

CherryPicker99 wrote:I would think Smedsrud will be back for his senior year. If anything I hope he would do what Kyle Rau did. Practice and play with the Stampede up until the high school season starts then play his senior year and return to the Stampede after winning the state tournament. :D
Cherry bomb you better check in with the GM of the cardinals with all these big plans!
oldman70

Post by oldman70 »

[quote="CherryPicker99"]I would think Smedsrud will be back for his senior year. If anything I hope he would do what Kyle Rau did. Practice and play with the Stampede up until the high school season starts then play his senior year and return to the Stampede after winning the state tournament. :D[/quoteLuverne has two chances of winning state, slim and none and Slim left town.
oldman70

Post by oldman70 »

CherryPicker99 wrote:I would think Smedsrud will be back for his senior year. If anything I hope he would do what Kyle Rau did. Practice and play with the Stampede up until the high school season starts then play his senior year and return to the Stampede after winning the state tournament. :D
Luverne has two chances of winning state in 2016, slim and none and slim left town. :lol:
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

oldman70 wrote:
Luverne has two chances of winning state in 2016, slim and none and slim left town. :lol:
Slim was left behind in Gustavus this year!
realitycheck2015

Whiner 33 go away

Post by realitycheck2015 »

Hard to believe Whiner 33 taking another cheap shot at last years Luverne Boys' hockey team. We all realize your son is a great player but that does not give you the right to constantly complain or put down the team, players and coaches . I hope I am not the only one that has grown tried of you comments. If you are truly a Luverne Hockey fan do the program a favor and just go away with all your negativity. I can only hope you would listen but I know you too well and I am waiting for your smart a_ _ remarks toward me. Because you have all the answers.
Whiner33

Re: Whiner 33 go away

Post by Whiner33 »

realitycheck2015 wrote:Hard to believe Whiner 33 taking another cheap shot at last years Luverne Boys' hockey team. We all realize your son is a great player but that does not give you the right to constantly complain or put down the team, players and coaches . I hope I am not the only one that has grown tried of you comments. If you are truly a Luverne Hockey fan do the program a favor and just go away with all your negativity. I can only hope you would listen but I know you too well and I am waiting for your smart a_ _ remarks toward me. Because you have all the answers.
Trout, I just wish you could put put your words together a bit better that's all I ask... If you could only spell words correctly.....
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Is trout up to 10 individual account's already?
SouthernMinnFan

Post by SouthernMinnFan »

First, I have a hard time seeing Luverne winning state. Sorry, but two years ago was your best chance, with strong d and decent goalie. I have a hard time seeing you win after losing those two things. Second, Chaz was drafted late, meaning there are most likely 30 some players ahead of him on the roster right now. Don't assume he makes the team at all. There are dozens of players that get drafted that never play a game in the USHL each year. I think if Chaz is serious about going and doing a pre and post this year, it will most likely be with Brookings Blizzard, but personally, if he has the ability to play Tier 2 even, he should go do that. It is the best option for his own development.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

SouthernMinnFan wrote:First, I have a hard time seeing Luverne winning state. Sorry, but two years ago was your best chance, with strong d and decent goalie. I have a hard time seeing you win after losing those two things. Second, Chaz was drafted late, meaning there are most likely 30 some players ahead of him on the roster right now. Don't assume he makes the team at all. There are dozens of players that get drafted that never play a game in the USHL each year. I think if Chaz is serious about going and doing a pre and post this year, it will most likely be with Brookings Blizzard, but personally, if he has the ability to play Tier 2 even, he should go do that. It is the best option for his own development.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

For those of you that Like reading about this from professionals and not us idiots. Here is an editorial the Star-Herald is running in this thursdays paper.

http://www.star-herald.com/sports-luver ... conclusion

Jumping to wrong conclusion
Tue, 05/12/2015 - 11:22am jrittenhouse
By:
John Rittenhouse

As it turns out, I wasn’t alone in being confused about the news I received last week.

Upon learning Luverne High School junior Chaz Smedsrud had been selected in the 26th round of the United States Hockey League draft by the Sioux Falls Stampede, I quickly reached a conclusion.

“There goes Luverne’s best chance of qualifying for the state hockey tournament for the second time in three years,” I said to myself.

Smedsrud, after all, has earned his place among the state of Minnesota’s most prolific point producers the last two seasons.

And the thought of watching the Cardinals race on to the ice at the Blue Mound Ice Arena next season without No. 8 (Smedsrud’s jersey number) being among the charges would have been a disappointing prospect, to say the least.

The thing about jumping to early conclusions is they could be wrong.

After sharing a conversation with Chaz’s father, Steve Smedsrud, it appears my initial reaction about the situation was way off base.

“Don’t worry about that,” Steve told me. “You are not alone. We’ve got a lot of calls from people who are wondering if Chaz was done playing hockey here. It’s not necessarily true.”

That’s good news for the Luverne hockey faithful, who can feel free to breathe a sigh of relief.

Being drafted by the Stampede doesn’t mean Chaz’s high school career is over.

It means he’ll have some options when it comes to his hockey future.

“Chaz’s goal right now is to play Division 1 (college) hockey some day, and that usually requires playing junior hockey at some point. Junior hockey can be a stepping stone to Division 1 schools, and that’s the way we’re looking at this,” Steve said.

By being drafted, Chaz will be invited to attend the Stampede’s tryout camp June 12-15 in Sioux Falls.

The LHS athlete hopes to make a good impression at the camp, which could keep him in the Stampede’s future plans.

“He’ll be evaluated at the camp and they’ll make a decision from there,” Steve said.

“He could be placed on an affiliate list and asked to come and play for them at the end of the next high school season. They also could say thanks for coming and that would be the end of it.”

Regardless of what the Stampede decide, I believe Smedsrud has a bright future in hockey.

The chances are slim that he would be asked to forego his senior season at LHS and join the team next winter.

And, if the Sioux Falls team decides to pass on his talents, I’m sure there are other junior teams out there that would be more than willing to give Smedsrud an opportunity to play with them in the future.

If that proves to be the case, the high-scoring forward can focus his attention on a shorter-term goal.

“Right now he plans on playing here next year and make a run at getting back to the state tournament,” Steve stated.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

It’s not necessarily true
He’ll be evaluated at the camp and they’ll make a decision from there
They also could say thanks for coming and that would be the end of it
A definite maybe. I wasn't the one interviewing dad, but the responses that were used read a lot like, 'right now, having yet to try out, he plans to play high school, if he gets an offer to play USHL...'
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

Realitycheck2015 I might not be real bright but you bring in a defensive coach from Worthington to run a defensive camp in Luverne?? Luverne beat them by a combined score of 36-2 last year?? Hello brain transplant???
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Have you ever pondered the theory of brain transplants?

Would it be a brain transplant or a body transplant?

What If trouts brain went into a different body? Would it still be all of trouts thoughts in the new body? Or would trouts thoughts be gone and the new body would maintain its thoughts?

What if trouts brain went in Lords body? Would Lord still be lord with trouts brain? Or would trout now experience his thoughts in lords body? Would Lord now feel that the 2014-2015 Hutchinson Tigers "clearly deserved better?" Or would Lord still be rightfully proud of his achievement ending Hutch's season?

What if Stremcha's brain went into Trouts body? Would The person/body formerly known as trout now think that Moran was the top player in 3a? Or would Trouts body maintain that it was clearly the super senior sniper?

We could discuss Myself getting a brain transplant, but since Bettman says I don't have one, we don't have to go there.

I guess it all comes down to where you think a persons soul is.

Fascinating stuff.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/brain ... lants.html

P.S. Before you all think im on some trippy plant or chemical at this hour of the night, think again... My work schedule requires me to work goofy hours this week. So lets not get all judgy up in here...
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

notTONIGHT wrote:Have you ever pondered the theory of brain transplants?

What If trouts brain went into a different body? Would it still be all of trouts thoughts in the new body? Or would trouts thoughts be gone and the new body would maintain its thoughts?

What if trouts brain went in Lords body? Would Lord still be lord with trouts brain? Or would trout now experience his thoughts in lords body? Would Lord now feel that the 2014-2015 Hutchinson Tigers "clearly deserved better?" Or would Lord still be rightfully proud of his achievement ending Hutch's season?

What if Stremcha's brain went into Trouts body? Would The person/body formerly known as trout now think that Moran was the top player in 3a? Or would Trouts body maintain that it was clearly the super senior sniper?

We could discuss Myself getting a brain transplant, but since Bettman says I don't have one, we don't have to go there.

Fascinating stuff.

P.S. Before you all think im on some trippy plant or chemical at this hour of the night, think again... My work schedule requires me to work goofy hours this week. So lets not get all judgy up in here...
This is pure gold!
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

They must be spraying the RoundUp out in the cornfields.
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

notTONIGHT wrote:Have you ever pondered the theory of brain transplants?

Fascinating stuff.

I just would like to know if Trout would pull Stremcha's goalie?
noedge

Post by noedge »

Whiner33 wrote:Realitycheck2015 I might not be real bright but you bring in a defensive coach from Worthington to run a defensive camp in Luverne?? Luverne beat them by a combined score of 36-2 last year?? Hello brain transplant???
Please go away whiner33!! Why would you rip someone for putting a camp together to try and help kids get better. The coach running the camp is a very knowledgeable instructor, he can't control the players he has to work with in Worthington. You really could use some life lessons in etiquette brain doctor!!
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

noedge wrote:
Whiner33 wrote:Realitycheck2015 I might not be real bright but you bring in a defensive coach from Worthington to run a defensive camp in Luverne?? Luverne beat them by a combined score of 36-2 last year?? Hello brain transplant???
Please go away whiner33!! Why would you rip someone for putting a camp together to try and help kids get better. The coach running the camp is a very knowledgeable instructor, he can't control the players he has to work with in Worthington. You really could use some life lessons in etiquette brain doctor!!
I get what your saying, but isnt the essence of coaching to control your players?
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Terrifying moment in Mankato tonight. The Marshall goalie laid motionless until the ambulance arrived to stabilize his neck. Please pray for the young man. A Luverne player was pushed and fell into him as he covered a puck on his belly stretched out.
BP

Post by BP »

How are the 3A teams looking in scrimmages this summer?

notTonight, Luverne been scrimmaging at all? How have they been doing? How is that good group of bantams adjusting?
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

BP wrote:How are the 3A teams looking in scrimmages this summer?

notTonight, Luverne been scrimmaging at all? How have they been doing? How is that good group of bantams adjusting?
Played the Mankato league. They are in first place and will probably win their 5th summer league title in a row. Luverne traveled to the cities on thursday and played something like 4 games in one day. Eagan right away in the morning, St. Paul Academy, Minnehaha Academy and Princeton. Luverne fared well in all of them.

Things seem to be going ok. Chaz and Jaxon havent played much together yet this summer due to other commitments. Expect that to change this week as they both head to the Model Camp.

The young kids have been doing well. The blue line will be bolstered with some fresh troops. Goaltending will be a 2-way battle probably throughout the season. The town is certainly optimistic with the returners.

Roll Cards----
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Roll Cards.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

elliott70 wrote:Roll Cards.
roll.......