Hockey players playing football?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

nahc

Post by nahc »

Have watched a LOT of football and hockey these past 11 years or so and still get a lump in my throat when a player is skating full tilt, loses an edge and crashes into the boards head/shoulder first....... scares the heck out of me more than any football play I see.........
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Alt from CDH played both a couple years ago.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Anders Lee was the coverboy for MN Hockey as a 3-sport athlete.
He doesn't appear to be too burned out.
That was only 5 years ago; have things changed that much in only 5 years?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Believe Lavalle from HM was a 3 sport kid too and excelled in all 3
Goose21

Post by Goose21 »

elliott70 wrote:I cannot think of any hockey player on the varsity football team in Bemidji.
And cannot recall any for several years.
I believe their top goalie is a starting WR
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Goose21 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:I cannot think of any hockey player on the varsity football team in Bemidji.
And cannot recall any for several years.
I believe their top goalie is a starting WR
Forgot about Grant.
Not only a player, but captain on the football team as a wide receiver.
Gunrack

Post by Gunrack »

Mitch McLain from Brainerd was a 3 sport standout couple years ago as well. ( Football, hockey, baseball).
drop the puck

Post by drop the puck »

If you are under D1 consideration, you just may be strongly encouraged not too play football.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Jaxon Nelson (Freshman) is starting to contribute more and more each week to the 4th ranked Luverne Cardinal Varsity team.
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

drop the puck wrote:If you are under D1 consideration, you just may be strongly encouraged not too play football.
Let's change the table around...What if you are verbally committed or under consideration to play a D1 sport (Baseball, Lacrosse, Track, Tennis, etc.), but you love to play high school hockey and you are good at it. What should you do? Just a question.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Defensive Zone wrote:
drop the puck wrote:If you are under D1 consideration, you just may be strongly encouraged not too play football.
Let's change the table around...What if you are verbally committed or under consideration to play a D1 sport (Baseball, Lacrosse, Track, Tennis, etc.), but you love to play high school hockey and you are good at it. What should you do? Just a question.
Depends on what your college coach tells you to do. Most college coaches I know (football and basketball coaches) encourage their recruits to play multiple sports, so I don't think it is as big of an issue as what some might think. But the bottom line is if the man who is giving you a full ride to play a sport recommends something you better listen.
Marty

Post by Marty »

SCBlueLiner wrote:
Defensive Zone wrote:
Depends on what your college coach tells you to do. Most college coaches I know (football and basketball coaches) encourage their recruits to play multiple sports, so I don't think it is as big of an issue as what some might think. But the bottom line is if the man who is giving you a full ride to play a sport recommends something you better listen.
Yep.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Anyone ever offers my kid any money to play a sport post-hs... everything else is now considered off-the-table.

Not even ping-pong.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

if you are good enough, you are good enough.

Sports after HS are a business. Your boss wants to protect their interest, it has nothing to do with the players.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

DrGaf wrote:Anyone ever offers my kid any money to play a sport post-hs... everything else is now considered off-the-table.

Not even ping-pong.
I had an ex-pro baseball player tell me to have my kids play ping pong as it is good for hand/eye coordination. :wink:
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Mite-dad wrote:
DrGaf wrote:Anyone ever offers my kid any money to play a sport post-hs... everything else is now considered off-the-table.

Not even ping-pong.
I had an ex-pro baseball player tell me to have my kids play ping pong as it is good for hand/eye coordination. :wink:
You've never seen my boy play ping-pong. :( Everything is full-contact in his twisted little world ... he get's it from his mom.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Mite-dad wrote:I had an ex-pro baseball player tell me to have my kids play ping pong as it is good for hand/eye coordination.
I've heard it is especially good for goalies - at higher levels of table tennis (not ping pong) you need very quick reflexes!
57special

Post by 57special »

Badminton is another surpringly fast and athletic sport when played at high levels.