NTDP U17s vs Minn Elites, at New Hope This Weekend

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

NTDP U17s vs Minn Elites, at New Hope This Weekend

Post by WestMetro »

11.30 Saturday : NTDP U17s vs Team Southeast

11.30 Sunday: " vs Team Southwest
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

Looks like a rout in progress in favor of USA over Team Southeast. I would love to hear some eye-witness accounts.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

It WAS a rout, somewhat embarrassing to the Minn reputation. Lets hope team SW does better tomorrow.

Lubbesmeyer had a bad start, but in his defense Team SE DMen did not really get the job done until the third period, even though 3 of them are NHL draftwatch kids.

By contrast, Team USA D seemed to keep the high powered Team SE offense off balance in the neutral zone. Especially Greenway.

Game was pretty chippy with a lot of penalties.

In my mind the surprise somewhat underrated player of the game was
Clayton Keller from last years SSM and hometown Swansea ILL, 2 goals and 1 assist by a 5' 9 165 lb kid getting open and stickhandling thru a lot of giants in front of the net.. Reminded me of Kyle Rau.
FireChoice

Post by FireChoice »

Underrated? Keller? Take the elite league blinders off and look around. My goodness. First off, he's not underrated as he gets a lot of pub. Second, it's well deserved as he can flat out play. I guess I don't follow your underrated comment.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

That was hard to watch. I didn't see the SOG but it had to be ugly. I felt like yelling out "help your goalie!" like I did coaching squirts.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

I was there and didn't see it as bad as others apparently, Keller was better than anyone else on the rink, his presence alone was enough to tip the game towards the USA team. USA got up quick, a brutal first goal and some sloppy play and its 4-0. Truth is you take away the bad goal and count the one that was waved off and you have a 3-2 game after 1. SE had a good second period and likely deserved better than coming out of the period down 5-2, they missed 2 or 3 great opportunities in the last 5 minutes of the period. Third period USA scored early on the pp and the bubble burst, nothing left but a bunch of dumb penalties and frustrated play. The Poehling boys best learn to keep their cool, way too much chippy play! Shots were 40-29 and the better team clearly won but SE could skate with them. As for Greenway.....SLOW...big kid that dominates physically but everything he does is just so slow and deliberate, Mittlestadt just coned him on his goal. He currently has the benefit of being 6'4" but there is a ton of room to improve.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

One thing you need to keep in mind is the Elite league metro teams practice 1 time per week, North, Great Plains and WI don't practice during the week...while teams like USA U17NTDP and the Shattuck Prep team practice together all week (4-5 times)...so they always should have better chemistry playing together...its apples to oranges comparing these teams to Elite League teams from that perspective.

I was at the game today and USA 17NTDP totally dominated Team SE, they were quicker, smoother, passed the puck better, shot the puck better, were more physical...and played smarter...and at least during todays game...Clayton Keller was the best player on the ice and it went beyond his 2 goals and 1 assist...he looked like he was playing pond hockey out there with his speed and moves.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Totally agree 59! That part of the equation just can't be overstated, Elite league play is wide open, offensive and for the most part lacks any team based systems...its pretty basic hockey. Shattuck and team USA have already spent 10 times as much time practicing as an elite team will all year. The difference isn't as much as you might think although for a bunch of 16 year olds team USA was bigger than the current gopher team...MAN ARE THEY BIG!
Nevertoomuchhockey

I agree with most of that. Elite league games are often showcases (just like Selects, Elites, Gopher State) where each player is more selfish than he is day to day on his home team.
But c'mon! Basics like (D) - don't screen the goalie and (F) cover D when they skate it up? Basic basic components of the game were missed today. Not just a complaint about playmakers not passing.
I'm surprised the shots were as close as that. I guess it was a little bit of a let down since those elite players have been so hyped, but today's losing team beats almost every varsity squad head to head today if played. IMHO.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Agree that Poehlings have got to better keep emotions in check, this game and a couple other previous Elite games this year, they relived the chippiness of last Marchs championship final.

As far as Keller, I had read up on him again ahead of the todays matchup, but didn't seem like he had consistently ranked in top of age class, in contrast to the domination on display today.

For example, surprised to see that OHL ranking was #40? Another service says his small frame will hurt him

But for sure BU will gain an NCAA level superstar , if he sticks with that commitment.
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

Was there as well.

This was an unbalanced matchup. Yea...I get the fact the US U17 team is on and off the ice together every day, but we are talking about all '98 born players against mostly '97 and '96 born players.

Keller consistently shows that he is the best '98 born US player year after year despite his smaller stature compared to the rest of his team. Scored one of the sickest goals that I have seen in a while.

The Poehling's, despite showing some talent and cohesiveness, embarrassed themselves in my opinion. It's quite obvious they can't play a bigger, rougher game. I guess it's frustrating to know that there are much better, younger players outside of Minnesota.

Middlestadt for EP scored an incredible goal too, while Graham struggled a bit.

Ryan Edquist, who relieved struggling Lubby half way through the contest, played well enough to keep the score from going into double digits. I don't think the game would have got out of hand so quick if Edquist would have started. Remember.....he was cut from this U17 team and had something to prove. Bad coaching decision.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

These are suppose to be the best 98's in the country, no shame in getting throttled by them but fwiw the 2 youngest players in the game were on team SE and one of them played pretty well.
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

I agree. It's really not fair to compare a younger hand picked team from all over the US to a hand picked team from a dozen or so local HS teams.
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

Nowhere near this type of blow out last year. Tough on the stats :shock: Somebody get the goalies a life preserver.
Last edited by NLHockey on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

Puckstopper81 wrote:I agree. It's really not fair to compare a younger hand picked team from all over the US to a hand picked team from a dozen or so local HS teams.
As opposed to the hand picked (top 2) "ELITE" Minnesota teams :roll:
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

NLHockey wrote:Nowhere near this type of blow out last year. Tough on the stats :shock: Somebody get the goalies a life preserver.
You are right! Last year's US U-17 team was far more talented compared to this year's squad. Last year Minny teams fared much better than 8-2 and 11-1 beat downs over this weekend.
Nevertoomuchhockey

It would be unfortunate if those scores scared off the elite league from scheduling these games next year. IMHO it's an important component for these MN players to realize that the same talent hierarchy that qualified them for this league in their state is still a notch (or two or three) below their opponents this weekend. A little dose of humility to make them hungrier going into the season perhaps?
And yet another weekend I'm grateful my kid lost his goalie spot (and goalie aspirations) in squirts. Brutal out there this weekend. My respect and admiration as always to the goalies and families who never quit, and stay classy when their D is letting them get hammered.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Chris Dilks @ChrisDilks · 5h 5 hours ago

A bit of a reality check for MN HS to have their best run out building twice by a below-average USHL team
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

WestMetro wrote:Chris Dilks @ChrisDilks · 5h 5 hours ago

A bit of a reality check for MN HS to have their best run out building twice by a below-average USHL team
After a 19-3 combined win over 2 games against the 2 Top teams in the "Supposed Elite League" teams Chris Dilks is right - This year.

After a ton of departures over the last 2/3 years of MN players, what do you expect - A competitive game?

It is flat out embarrassing. I get it that the USA team has "hand picked" players from around the country - Including 4 or 5 studs from our own backyard- But come on. - We got smashed and smashed hard from a group of kids at least 1yr younger than the players in the elite league.

But I do like the fancy jerseys we have.
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

Just pounded yikes
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

USA U17 team plays as a team and they all skate hard and they operate already in winter hockey mode (PRACTICE TOGETHER EVERY DAY, TEAM FUNCTIONS, SYSTEMS, ExT...). Elite league is a step above summer hockey. The teams don't play systems, they get together on the weekends and play games. For anyone to say MN HS is no good because they lose to the U17 team is laughable. Let the top half of the league practice, train, and become a team and than play the U17 and it will be another story.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Thanks, that's pretty much how I see it. Would they beat them? Unlikely but I don't think they get run out of the building. This USA team came in 0-4 against USHL teams and had their pride on the line. I'm quite sure the sky is not falling.
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

minnscout wrote:USA U17 team plays as a team and they all skate hard and they operate already in winter hockey mode (PRACTICE TOGETHER EVERY DAY, TEAM FUNCTIONS, SYSTEMS, ExT...). Elite league is a step above summer hockey. The teams don't play systems, they get together on the weekends and play games. For anyone to say MN HS is no good because they lose to the U17 team is laughable. Let the top half of the league practice, train, and become a team and than play the U17 and it will be another story.
I don't hear anyone saying MN HS is no good. Black jackets just need to get together and hand pick a super duper elite team from the Upper Midwest HS Elite league hand picked from the elite high schools in MN. Maybe THEN they can keep the score close. :wink: R-E-L-A-X
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

NLHockey wrote:
minnscout wrote:USA U17 team plays as a team and they all skate hard and they operate already in winter hockey mode (PRACTICE TOGETHER EVERY DAY, TEAM FUNCTIONS, SYSTEMS, ExT...). Elite league is a step above summer hockey. The teams don't play systems, they get together on the weekends and play games. For anyone to say MN HS is no good because they lose to the U17 team is laughable. Let the top half of the league practice, train, and become a team and than play the U17 and it will be another story.
I don't hear anyone saying MN HS is no good. Black jackets just need to get together and hand pick a super duper elite team from the Upper Midwest HS Elite league hand picked from the elite high schools in MN. Maybe THEN they can keep the score close. :wink: R-E-L-A-X
Sure, put a super duper elite team together of '98s, not '97s and '96s and then you can compare the talent on an even basis with the U17s.
Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar »

This thread is laughable, just like Chris Dirks hockey career...