Grand Rapids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

Not sure a close loss to Warroad is 'inability to deliver'. If every team played its best game every night, the results would be more predictable but a lot less interesting to watch. The Thawks look legit to me. It IS a long season so this early not going to start second guessing. GR right up there IMO.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

hawkenjonny wrote:Not sure a close loss to Warroad is 'inability to deliver'. If every team played its best game every night, the results would be more predictable but a lot less interesting to watch. The Thawks look legit to me. It IS a long season so this early not going to start second guessing. GR right up there IMO.
Exactly, it's like a team has to go undefeated to "deliver"… :roll:
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
boblee

Post by boblee »

Here is the Warroad recap. Sorry for the delay. I was in Sioux Falls to see Eric Church and their new hockey/event facility.

http://grhshockey.com/teams/default.asp ... wsID=34057
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

boblee wrote:Here is the Warroad recap. Sorry for the delay. I was in Sioux Falls to see Eric Church and their new hockey/event facility.

http://grhshockey.com/teams/default.asp ... wsID=34057
Thanks, bobber.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Get caught up on the weekend:

Duluth Marshall tops Grand Rapids 4-2

http://www.grhshockey.com/teams/default ... wsID=34135

Top ranked Lakeville North drops Grand Rapids 3-0

http://www.grhshockey.com/teams/default ... wsID=34141
rainier

Post by rainier »

I think the mantra for Rapids and their fans right now should be "Enjoy the season" (a la Mike Tice) or the more recent version of it, "R-E-L-A-X" (Although I hate the Packers).

There are very few, if any, impact seniors on the team. This team is very young and as the sophomores and even some of the juniors settle in, get confident, and start to play without thinking, this team will be fine.

Rapids has now strung together 3 consecutive outstanding bantam teams, and I think people were expecting great things a little too soon as these first two have hit varsity. Maybe even the players were believing the hype, and they are finding out that whatever they did in bantams or elite leagues or whatever means nothing when quality teams like Warroad and Marshall show up and give 110% because they want to upset the "vaunted" T-hawks.

I'm a Hibbing fan, I dont even like Rapids, and I admit to smiling when Class A teams like Warroad and Marshall beat them, but I think as the season goes along they will come together and that load of talent they have will start really showing itself consistently.

Beating Elk River or East to win 7AA may not happen this season, but my money will be on Rapids to win 7AA the next two seasons, so if I were a fan of this team I would consider any decent run at state this year gravy.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

rainier wrote:I think the mantra for Rapids and their fans right now should be "Enjoy the season" (a la Mike Tice) or the more recent version of it, "R-E-L-A-X" (Although I hate the Packers).

There are very few, if any, impact seniors on the team. This team is very young and as the sophomores and even some of the juniors settle in, get confident, and start to play without thinking, this team will be fine.

Rapids has now strung together 3 consecutive outstanding bantam teams, and I think people were expecting great things a little too soon as these first two have hit varsity. Maybe even the players were believing the hype, and they are finding out that whatever they did in bantams or elite leagues or whatever means nothing when quality teams like Warroad and Marshall show up and give 110% because they want to upset the "vaunted" T-hawks.

I'm a Hibbing fan, I dont even like Rapids, and I admit to smiling when Class A teams like Warroad and Marshall beat them, but I think as the season goes along they will come together and that load of talent they have will start really showing itself consistently.

Beating Elk River or East to win 7AA may not happen this season, but my money will be on Rapids to win 7AA the next two seasons, so if I were a fan of this team I would consider any decent run at state this year gravy.
Very accurate post.
ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
rainier wrote:I think the mantra for Rapids and their fans right now should be "Enjoy the season" (a la Mike Tice) or the more recent version of it, "R-E-L-A-X" (Although I hate the Packers).

Very accurate post.
I think it's a bit premature to relegate the team to a rebuilding year -- (oh well, there's always next year)....after they just stayed with a very good, deep LN team for most of the game. I would say they are deserving of some hype. They will be ready come February/March....don't worry. I don't think they are thinking about next year or the year after, quite yet
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Yeah GR needs more hype since they haven't had much yet this year. They are the best 4 and 3 team in the state and they easily could have beaten LN had they only scored 4 more goals. :oops:
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Yeah GR needs more hype since they haven't had much yet this year. They are the best 4 and 3 team in the state and they easily could have beaten LN had they only scored 4 more goals. :oops:
It's funny when someone channels Slammer. :mrgreen:

That said, I see this section coming down to Rapids and Elk River, unless East shows a lot more than they've shown so far.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote:
Nuts&Bolts wrote:Yeah GR needs more hype since they haven't had much yet this year. They are the best 4 and 3 team in the state and they easily could have beaten LN had they only scored 4 more goals. :oops:

That said, I see this section coming down to Rapids and Elk River, unless East shows a lot more than they've shown so far.

Lee
I can easily see this section coming down to Elk River.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote:

Lee
I can easily see this section coming down to Elk River.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I think it is possible for GR to be .500 ( 1 game above or 1 below) going into the playoffs.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Easily 500. And yes I borrowed this line. I can easily see Elk River having to drive north for the section final game where we get results similar to recent years. The Hounds will be competitive and you can never count them out with Randolph on the bench.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

I expected Rapids to be improved this year, and in some ways have been better than I expected. I get tired of the class A distinction in terms of labeling how talented a team is. When those kids are on the ice it doesnt matter what class they are, you're a good team or you're not. I'd put Warroad and Marshall in the top 15 in Class AA. Rapids is in a good spot right now. There are plenty of positives and enough time for the first year players to mature in time for sections. I think with the top 6-7 teams being so close its gonna come down to matchups in sections. I'm sure East, like last year would like to avoid Cloquet in the quarters, but it seems likely that could happen in a 3/6 matchup. That said, I also wont be too surprised to see East play better, yet they seem like one of those 06-08 teams that couldn't overcome lacking that one horse like a Patrick White, Tyler Johnson, or David Brown. Andover is going to be a tough draw with their goalie.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

Aside from the one guy hyping GR (and Elliott - who is decidedly more cranky these days) on this "bored", there wouldn't be much to read about here anymore.
buttend

Post by buttend »

Definitely top 10 team. They beat powerhouses Forest Lake, Virginia/Mountain Iron-Buhl and Roseau! If it was 1976 Top 5 team!
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

NLHockey wrote:
Aside from the one guy hyping GR (and Elliott - who is decidedly more cranky these days) on this "bored", there wouldn't be much to read about here anymore.
You're welcome!

8)

:evil:
green4

Post by green4 »

I have a watched a few of their games and I think there is no reason to worry. They ran into a tough goalie against Warroad, Marshall is a very good team, arguably the best A team in the state and they played the number 1 AA team very close. It was 1-0 for most of the game as the goalie made a statement.
The Thunderhawks, by the end of the year will be battle tested with their tough schedule and I think they will be a dangerous team.

Also, I don't understand why Elliot rips so much on GR when his team got the crud kicked out of them by the T-hawks...
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Elk River hasn't beat Rapids since 2009 in the Classic? Is this correct? And other than the section semi 2 years ago have they played since?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

green4 wrote:I have a watched a few of their games and I think there is no reason to worry. They ran into a tough goalie against Warroad, Marshall is a very good team, arguably the best A team in the state and they played the number 1 AA team very close. It was 1-0 for most of the game as the goalie made a statement.
The Thunderhawks, by the end of the year will be battle tested with their tough schedule and I think they will be a dangerous team.

Also, I don't understand why Elliot rips so much on GR when his team got the crud kicked out of them by the T-hawks...
I am not ripping on them. They are 1 of my favorites. If you don't see Elk River as the clear cut favorite you don't know hockey. If you look at the thawks tough schedule and don't see a lot of tough games, again....
As far crud kicking, apparently you were not at the game or again....
Two mistakes by freshman, sophs in D and 2 coaching errors in a span of 3 or 4 minutes does not put the onus on the entire team.

There are too many homers on this board....
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote:
green4 wrote:I have a watched a few of their games and I think there is no reason to worry. They ran into a tough goalie against Warroad, Marshall is a very good team, arguably the best A team in the state and they played the number 1 AA team very close. It was 1-0 for most of the game as the goalie made a statement.

I am not ripping on them. They are 1 of my favorites. If you don't see Elk River as the clear cut favorite you don't know hockey. If you look at the thawks tough schedule and don't see a lot of tough games, again....
Two mistakes by freshman, sophs in D and 2 coaching errors in a span of 3 or 4 minutes does not put the onus on the entire team.

Yeah, like Karl. Can you believe he still talks about East being a top 50 team?? :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

Yeah, like Karl. Can you believe he still talks about East being a top 50 team?? :mrgreen:

Lee
I'll give him credit, he sticks by his team. Even when they suck, maybe top 20, for sure a top 25.
green4

Post by green4 »

elliott70 wrote:

Elk River is indeed the best of 7AA right now, but I never even mentioned them in my post, so there is not much of a reason to bring them up. What I said was that I think GR will be fine and that come section time they will be dangerous. And who knows, if Elk River can't figure out their defense it could be anyone game.

Yes, you agree with me on the tough games point, I looked at their schedule and I saw a lot of tough games.

Yes, again you are right, I was not at the Bemidji game, but I do know that giving up 7 goals and scoring 4 is not close. And who cares who made the mistakes? Regardless if it was a senior, freshman or a coach making a mistake, they are all still a part of the team and they all worked together to get their butts kicked.

And finally, I perhaps am a homer, but if you looked over, under my username, you can see my Location in Edina. I will cheer for the Hornets with a clear bias, but I have no connection to Grand Rapids.
This is a bit ironic since you too are a bit of a homer for Bemidji :wink:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

green4 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

Elk River is indeed the best of 7AA right now, but I never even mentioned them in my post, so there is not much of a reason to bring them up. What I said was that I think GR will be fine and that come section time they will be dangerous. And who knows, if Elk River can't figure out their defense it could be anyone game.

Yes, you agree with me on the tough games point, I looked at their schedule and I saw a lot of tough games.

Yes, again you are right, I was not at the Bemidji game, but I do know that giving up 7 goals and scoring 4 is not close. And who cares who made the mistakes? Regardless if it was a senior, freshman or a coach making a mistake, they are all still a part of the team and they all worked together to get their butts kicked.

And finally, I perhaps am a homer, but if you looked over, under my username, you can see my Location in Edina. I will cheer for the Hornets with a clear bias, but I have no connection to Grand Rapids.
This is a bit ironic since you too are a bit of a homer for Bemidji :wink:
None of my comments were directed to you just defending someone saying I was ripping on Grand Rapids when there is no evidence to it.
As far as being a homer, never over sell or over defend the Jacks. Just tell it as it is.
Are u homer? I guess you say you are, but I was referring to a couple of GR people. A couple of DEast. A couple of. Luverne, a couple of never mind you get it...
Not saying they are bad just need to sift through the BS.....