8AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheHockeyDJ

8AA

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Who do you think will win 8AA this year? Brainerd has a new coach, but do they have enough talent to compete with Moorhead and Roseau?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
blueblood

8AA

Post by blueblood »

No
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

are any of them feeling particularly good about their teams? seems all are going to be down. Bemidji maybe?
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Going to be a strange season, as I can't think of any team that will be dominant.

Up for grabs.
ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey »

Bemidji looked pretty good during summer scrimmages. First game against GR should give some indication. Moorhead looks to have decent goaltending IF you can believe any of the Elite League stats.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

I'd like to see Bemidji or Brainerd make it just for a change of pace.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:I'd like to see Bemidji or Brainerd make it just for a change of pace.
If Rapids makes it out of 7AA, I'd love to see Brainerd make it, and hope they get paired up at State, since I know how much you guys have loved that rivalry. It would be an epic amount of smack. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

east hockey wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:I'd like to see Bemidji or Brainerd make it just for a change of pace.
If Rapids makes it out of 7AA, I'd love to see Brainerd make it, and hope they get paired up at State, since I know how much you guys have loved that rivalry. It would be an epic amount of smack. :mrgreen:

Lee
How did you read that into my post? :lol:

In a perfect scenario they'd play each other in an evening session quarterfinal or semi-final. I'd say championship, but Brainerd would never make it that far.
ilovemesomehockey

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee
How did you read that into my post? :lol:

In a perfect scenario they'd play each other in an evening session quarterfinal or semi-final. I'd say championship, but Brainerd would never make it that far.
I think (don't know for sure) the two will have a preseason show down (scrimmage) in a couple of weeks
GOALIEPOPS

Re: 8AA

Post by GOALIEPOPS »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Who do you think will win 8AA this year? Brainerd has a new coach, but do they have enough talent to compete with Moorhead and Roseau?
Roseau and Brainerd both lost some fine players but both programs are resiliant.
Moorhead reutns all d-men and goalie. Bemidji is definately gonna be a contender. If you watched them last half of last season they have some young talent in net and out.

Moorhead
Bemidji
Brainerd
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

I said it on another thread but I think Bemidji will make it out and surprise people. They return a lot of talent and have some young kids with lots of potential. I know everyone is excited by the Tatro kid as a sophomore. They lost a lot of close games last year. They weren't that far away. This year they should be able to turn the corner
ilovemesomehockey

warriors41 wrote:I said it on another thread but I think Bemidji will make it out and surprise people. They return a lot of talent and have some young kids with lots of potential. I know everyone is excited by the Tatro kid as a sophomore. They lost a lot of close games last year. They weren't that far away. This year they should be able to turn the corner
Agreed
Bemidji
Moorhead
Brainerd
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

My money is on Bemidji to oust Moorhead for the trip to State. If Sauer were still playing, I'd bet the house!
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

One thing I hope for is that the 8AA final be played at the Sanford Center in Bemidji. That place is awesome.
GOALIEPOPS

Post by GOALIEPOPS »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:One thing I hope for is that the 8AA final be played at the Sanford Center in Bemidji. That place is awesome.
Well you must not be hoping for Bemidji to be in the finals.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

GOALIEPOPS wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:One thing I hope for is that the 8AA final be played at the Sanford Center in Bemidji. That place is awesome.
Well you must not be hoping for Bemidji to be in the finals.
Bemidji only need to reference Duluth East and the entire metro for the right to play the section final in their hometown but not home rink.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Anyone else surprised Buffalo blanked Brainerd 4-0, and Roseau lost to St. Cloud Tech? Is this just early season irregularities or is this a trend?
Zebos

Post by Zebos »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Anyone else surprised Buffalo blanked Brainerd 4-0, and Roseau lost to St. Cloud Tech? Is this just early season irregularities or is this a trend?
Not suprised at all with Buffalo/Brainerd result. I was suprised by both Roseau's win against and Blaine and then by their loss to St Cloud Tech. Buffalo has a very good team. This section is going to be a 4-5 team race for the whole season. You'll probably see lots of ups and downs for all these teams throughout the season.
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

Zebos wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:Anyone else surprised Buffalo blanked Brainerd 4-0, and Roseau lost to St. Cloud Tech? Is this just early season irregularities or is this a trend?
Not suprised at all with Buffalo/Brainerd result. I was suprised by both Roseau's win against and Blaine and then by their loss to St Cloud Tech. Buffalo has a very good team. This section is going to be a 4-5 team race for the whole season. You'll probably see lots of ups and downs for all these teams throughout the season.
very surprised by the result of the Tech/Roseau game.... Did not see tech as a threat of any kind in 8AA this season after losing 4 of top 5 scorers due to graduation including around 100 points from their top 2 players. Really good win for their resume but still don't see them making any kind of serious run come playoffs.
Gunrack

Post by Gunrack »

hockey9011 wrote:
Zebos wrote:
very surprised by the result of the Tech/Roseau game.... Did not see tech as a threat of any kind in 8AA this season after losing 4 of top 5 scorers due to graduation including around 100 points from their top 2 players. Really good win for their resume but still don't see them making any kind of serious run come playoffs.
Tech will not be a contender in this section from what I have seen so far. Neither will Brainerd. Probably a 2 1/2 horse race, Moorhead, Bemidji and Roseau. FWIW
Zebos

Post by Zebos »

Don't forget about Buffalo. With a section that will struggle scoring goals this year and Buffalo returning most of their scoring they are very much in it.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Spuds
woodstick

Post by woodstick »

Big win for Bemidji last night. Team, community very excited. This was not the Section final however, and this section remains wide open and interesting with some important match ups the next week.

Most surprised by the Roseau win over Blaine. Not by loss to Tech as expected Roseau to be down. Original Section 8 team Fergus Falls handling Tech last night. Anyone see that game?

Will be interesting to see how Bemidji responds at home with Tech on Friday and how MHD responds vs Buffalo. Great matchup next Tue with MHD and Roseau. All key games for seeding purposes.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Bemidji looks like the strongest team so far and I hope they get to state, but you don't win the section in December. As much as Moorhead and Roseau have been inconsistent it still feels like one of them will give the Jacks fits in the playoffs, too much tradition and pride to just roll over.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

So far the season has shown to be a two horse race with Bemidji a nose ahead followed closely by Moorhead.

Roseau is the dark horse and Brainerd and St Cloud are not showing anything.

Buffalo was to be better but have not proven to be able to compete at an upper level.

The rest are having better seasons but will need a visitor bus to break down to 'earn' a spot in March.