Section 6A 2014-15

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hockey7326

Post by Hockey7326 »

[quote="hockey9011"][quote="preferhockey"]Ranking/seeds will definitely change after last night

Fergus Falls shutout Apollo at MAC 2-0, continued strong finish to season and FF will definitely be #2 seed.

Little Falls shutout Cake Eaters 3-0

Sartell lacks respect for game by running up score 17-0 on Willmar, get a clue coach.

Sauk Rapids loses 0-7, cemented #7-8 seed[/quote]
Sartell-if you were at the game you would have saw that it wasn't like he was running the score up using his top guys. The guys pulled up from JV played a period which is all they can do since the limit is 4. Multiple players scored their first varsity goals and the top line played VERY limited time in the 3rd. It was terrible goaltending that allowed the game to get to this score. Sartell would just throw one towards the net and it would go in. They scored on OVER 1/3 of their shots on net. It is difficult to tell players to not even try to shoot towards the net.[/quote]

Hockey9011 after looking on the hub it shows that only one player scored their first goal of this season, and that's a player with 5 assists already yet this season as well. Also to note, all 3 of their third period goals were scored by the first/second liners. Clearly this coach was running it up. Zweiner alone had 9 points, and between their first two lines they combined for over 30 of the teams total 37 points. I don't understand how you can say that the coach wasn't running it up.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

hockey9011 wrote:besides that game, anyone have any insight on how Cathedral got shutout by Little Falls?? i would like to know how that game looked
From my perspective, Little Falls didn't as much "win" but "stole" one here. The game started with a LF penalty, which they killed off and seemed to gain momentum from. They then scored on their first two shots of the game. From that point on LF had very few opportunities. It was pretty much a lot of SCC domination of play. LF goalie played the game of his life. That said, LF limited their quality chances. D kept play on the perimeter and fwds did a good job as well challenging shots. Lots of blocked shots and many of the saves were "bread basket" type saves, so not real difficult. SCC didn't seem to get a lot of puck luck that is for sure. Had a few good chances that they failed to capitalize on and a post and crossbar but no luck. SCC goalie did not have a great game and after the first goal looked shaky for sure which resulted in the second goal which looked like it shouldn't have been a difficult save. Third goal for LF was an empty net on a 6 on 4 PK. Player ricocheted one off the wall out of the D zone 180 feet and it spun and curved right dead center into the net with a minute or so to play. As Couture said at the end of the game, SCC is a better team and they would win 9 out of 10 against LF. Last night was just that 1 game. Credit to LF though, they were a pesky and sometimes physical team last night and they capitalized on a couple of their quality chances. Great win for them for sure. SCC did not have the services of one of their best Dmen who is out with mono.
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

Hockey7326 wrote:
hockey9011 wrote:
preferhockey wrote:Ranking/seeds will definitely change after last night

Fergus Falls shutout Apollo at MAC 2-0, continued strong finish to season and FF will definitely be #2 seed.

Sartell lacks respect for game by running up score 17-0 on Willmar, get a clue coach.

Sauk Rapids loses 0-7, cemented #7-8 seed
Sartell-if you were at the game you would have saw that it wasn't like he was running the score up using his top guys. The guys pulled up from JV played a period which is all they can do since the limit is 4. Multiple players scored their first varsity goals and the top line played VERY limited time in the 3rd. It was terrible goaltending that allowed the game to get to this score. Sartell would just throw one towards the net and it would go in. They scored on OVER 1/3 of their shots on net. It is difficult to tell players to not even try to shoot towards the net.
Hockey9011 after looking on the hub it shows that only one player scored their first goal of this season, and that's a player with 5 assists already yet this season as well. Also to note, all 3 of their third period goals were scored by the first/second liners. Clearly this coach was running it up. Zweiner alone had 9 points, and between their first two lines they combined for over 30 of the teams total 37 points. I don't understand how you can say that the coach wasn't running it up.
both #18 and #12 got their first goals of the season yesterday. Yes the top guys scored in the third but they weren't pumping in 7-8 goals that period like the first two. They played a lot of puck possession and ran all 4 lines plus the couple JV guys they pulled up.. All im saying is that I realize the score was terrible but it didn't LOOK like they were trying to in person. They had the best puck luck all game that I've seen in a long time and i find it more disrespectful to the game if you just skate around playig keep away and don't even attempt to go towards the net

Post by 1997 »

Hockey7326 wrote:
hockey9011 wrote:

Sartell-if you were at the game you would have saw that it wasn't like he was running the score up using his top guys. The guys pulled up from JV played a period which is all they can do since the limit is 4. Multiple players scored their first varsity goals and the top line played VERY limited time in the 3rd. It was terrible goaltending that allowed the game to get to this score. Sartell would just throw one towards the net and it would go in. They scored on OVER 1/3 of their shots on net. It is difficult to tell players to not even try to shoot towards the net.
Sartell's 4th line (JV guys) played every other shift for most of the 2nd period. Their eligibility was used up. Actually the stats you throw out were the 1st and 3rd line, not the 1st and 2nd if you go by the order they played in. This is a case of one team quitting once they went down 3-0 and another team that continued to play hard. Thats my opinion, I was there. What would you want a team to do differently? Only play 5 guys in the 3rd period? The shots were something like 48-12. It is not like they put 60-70 shots on net. Willmar gave up.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

"OLE"
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

Hmm isn't that what someone disrespectful would do, "justify" their behavior.

Nothing against players, what does coach have to say. No reason for top players to touch ice in 3rd period.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

preferhockey wrote:Hmm isn't that what someone disrespectful would do, "justify" their behavior.

Nothing against players, what does coach have to say. No reason for top players to touch ice in 3rd period.
PLAYOFFS are in a short few weeks!
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

preferhockey wrote:Hmm isn't that what someone disrespectful would do, "justify" their behavior.

its was 5-0 like 7 mins into the game, Willmar literally gave up. Do you want the players to not even try when skating into the zone? If it's a 3 on 1 into the zone I don't see a problem with them making a play. It would be disrespectful to the other team of they looped around the net and didn't even put any effort in
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

blah, blah, yadda, yadda. 48 shots, difficult to believe let up even a little.

What did coach have to say? Top scorer on team had two points in 3rd period, has coach give reason to put top scorer at risk of injury.

Must just be difference in levels of integrity and respect for opponent.
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

notTONIGHT wrote:

It's just shocking to me that an Honorable Section 6A Team like The Sabres would stoop so low as to put up numbers 48 & 17 that resemble our 3A Card Rollers in Luverne. Hmm 69 & 20. I see the Card Rollers put up 20 more shots though vs the Trojans last eve.
Nothing like driving up the stats. Fireworks to follow.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

RRubberbeeskit wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:

It's just shocking to me that an Honorable Section 6A Team like The Sabres would stoop so low as to put up numbers 48 & 17 that resemble our 3A Card Rollers in Luverne. Hmm 69 & 20. I see the Card Rollers put up 20 more shots though vs the Trojans last eve.
Nothing like driving up the stats. Fireworks to follow.

OLE!!!!
defense

Post by defense »

I am never going to side with a team who runs up the score period. But there are worse catastrophes in MSHSL hockey than Sartell sticking it to a Willmar. I don't mean any disrespect here, both of these programs are well established, and comparable. Much different in my eyes than if they had done it to Wadena for example.
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

defense wrote:I am never going to side with a team who runs up the score period. But there are worse catastrophes in MSHSL hockey than Sartell sticking it to a Willmar. I don't mean any disrespect here, both of these programs are well established, and comparable. Much different in my eyes than if they had done it to Wadena for example.
very true, these teams are usually on a comparable level and have competitive games. Last year they tied and Sartell won the other 4-2. They are usually middle tier CLC teams. I think it was more of a night where everything went right for Sartell early and it just avalanched. They are not 17 goals better than Willmar
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

Think most of us on same page. Again do not blame players, though they could have made different choices. It was the coaches decision or lack of decision in this case.

Now back to real discussion.

Seeds 1-3 still up in the air between Alex, FF and Sartel at this point. Of course Alex still #1 but a slip and down they go.

Apollo is clear #4 and Cathedral barely hanging on to #5.

LF #6

Sauk #7
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

preferhockey wrote:Think most of us on same page. Again do not blame players, though they could have made different choices. It was the coaches decision or lack of decision in this case.

Now back to real discussion.

Seeds 1-3 still up in the air between Alex, FF and Sartel at this point. Of course Alex still #1 but a slip and down they go.

Apollo is clear #4 and Cathedral barely hanging on to #5.

LF #6

Sauk #7
wow that is really surprising to me.. Im a sartell fan and I hope they can make it to state but they lost to both apollo and cathedral so why do you have them above them both? I have it as
1. Alex
2. Fergus
3. Apollo
4-5 Sartell or cathedral
6. LF
7. Sauk rapids
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

Here is reasoning.

Apollo in last week lost home games to both Alex and FF. Not a single quality opponent remaining so need to win remaining 5 to have shot at #3 seed

Cathedral in a nose dive, lost last five including 3-0 to LF. Cathedral has no section games left to prove themselves, overall 10-9 record does nor fair well.

Sartell maybe gets edge based on what have you done lately, except tie to Sauk last night hurts. If can win against FF or Alex next week could give them #3. Win both and possibly #2.
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

hockey9011 wrote:

Not to mention it looked as though Willmar had given up long before the 2nd period even started. Very tough to play against a team that doesn't even fight back.
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

preferhockey wrote:blah, blah, yadda, yadda. 48 shots, difficult to believe let up even a little.

What did coach have to say? Top scorer on team had two points in 3rd period, has coach give reason to put top scorer at risk of injury.

Must just be difference in levels of integrity and respect for opponent.
I believe it was stated before that their JV players had already used their 4 period MAX in the 2nd period. So with a whole period to go they did use the top line sparingly as they HAD to. You could also argue that the overuse of the other 2 lines (with their 3rd line actually scoring a majority of their goals if you want to dig into it), could also lead to injury when they are not accustomed to playing so thin...

Sounds like sour grapes, and you or somebody you know was on opposite end. These scores happen more than one would think so get off your high horse and let the kids play the game, could be different results come playoffs, we will see.
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

I think the Sartell coach learned from the Willmar game and used it last night. After scoring 5 goals in the first 2:50 in the first period, he threw in the JV guys again for a period and had them play more of a possession game in the second and third periods. Sat the top dogs for most of the third and let the 4th line get a lot of playing time.
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

#20 Sartell takes down #10 Fergus Falls 5-4 in OT. Friday's game against Alexandria should be a better one this time around.
#18 Cathedral squeaked by MAML 3-1 with an ENG.
SRR beat willmar 5-1.
#11 Apollo gets back on track beating Brainerd 4-1.
#5 Alexandria shut out Prairie Centre 5-0.

Shaping up to be some really good playoff hockey with one ranked team not making in out of the QF.
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

Expected Seedings, but Tuesday could change a few positions.

#1 Alex, only section loss was to FF

2-4 up for grabs

#2 Fergus Falls, win section team to beat Alex and beat Apollo twice. Must beat Sauk Rapids on Tuesday to lock this seed.
#3 Cake Eaters, 9 losses on season could mean a seed from 2-5. FF loss and wins on Saturday and Tuesday will be #2
#4 Apollo, only 4 losses all to teams above them

#5 Sartell, only section win and was in OT against 1-4 seeds
#6 & 7 Edge to Little Falls over Sauk Rapids. Tuesday games could determine.
#8 Northern Lakes

Playoffs will be exciting
Hockey7326

Post by Hockey7326 »

What is the deal with Cathedral? A loss Saturday night to Holy Angels 9-2 looks pretty bad, especially out shooting them 50-28. Maybe they just ran into a hot goal tender, but regardless you aren't going to ever win when you give up 9 goals. This team does not seem to be playing its best hockey, in fact they're playing maybe their worst hockey at the worst possible time heading right into sections. They played the majority of their section games against the other top dogs in the section early on in the season and only play the majority of their section opponents once. Will their lack of section games hurt them and can their poor play as of late and losses to LF and Orono, teams who Apollo have also beaten recently, drop them when it comes to seedings?
Shortshift

Post by Shortshift »

Based on section records:

1. Alex
2. Cathedral
3. Fergus Falls
4. Apollo
5. Sartell
6. Sauk Rapids
7. Little Falls
8. Northern Lakes
9. Wadena
10. Prairie Centre
11. Bre/Wap

Based on head to head:

1. Alex
2. Cathedral
3. Fergus Falls
4. Apollo
5. Sartell
6. Sauk Rapids
7. Little Falls
8. Northern Lakes
9. Prairie Centre
10. Wadena
11. Bre/Wap.

Based on strength of schedule:

1. Cathedral
2. Alex
3. Apollo
4. Fergus Falls
5. Sartell
6. Sauk Rapids
7. Little Falls
8. Northern Lakes
9. Prairie Centre
10. Wadena
11. Brec/Wap.

Based on rankings:

Way to many to choose from! Way to many formula's!
Hockey7326

Post by Hockey7326 »

From what I think
1. Alex - undisputable the top team with only one section loss all year
2. Fergus Falls - beat Apollo twice and was the only team to beat Alex, did lose and tie to Sartell which might hurt them, their loss to Cathedral was early on and is mostly irrelevant
3. Apollo - this is where it gets tricky, they lost to Cathedral earlier in the year but have impressive wins over teams Cathedral has lost to much more recently. Also they managed to skate with Alexandria in both games, and the fact that they play each section team twice may help them
4. Cathedral - could be the 3, but I have them at the 4 because of their recent losses to both Little Falls and Orono, two teams that Apollo has beaten. Also their 10 losses look very unimpressive and I think hurts them.
5. Sartell - only one section win against teams above them vs Fergus Falls, and a tie vs Sauk Rapids isn't going to help them
6. Little Falls - they did lose to Sauk Rapids, but I think that their win over Cathedral caries some weight and could put them ahead of Sauk.
7. Sauk Rapids - Could be interchangeable with Little Falls, and their tie with Sartell could help them get the 6
8-11. These teams will probably be completely irrelevant but I'd say Northern Lakes, Prairie Center, Wadena, Breckenridge
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

What time do they meet to set seeding of section?