AA Rankings for 12/7/2014

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

AA Rankings for 12/7/2014

Post by karl(east) »

Here’s week two of rankings. Once again, the top teams seem relatively clear, and after that it’s an utter mess. As usual, I’m erring on the side of caution, trying not to overreact to one good or bad result or push a team too high because they’re beating a bunch of lower-level teams. The goal here is to not be a slave to A-beat-B-so-A-has-to-be-better-than-B logic.

1. Lakeville North (2-0)
-A big win over Edina gives the Panthers some measure of revenge after last year’s state final, and boosts them to the top spot. With three top-flight defensemen in front of Edquist in goal, they should be very tough to crack when they’re on their game. It’s hard to be definitive after just two games, though, and their schedule gets going in earnest this week, with two more quality opponents on the docket.
This week: Tues vs. Apple Valley, Thurs vs. #10 Burnsville, Sat at #11 Grand Rapids

2. Edina (5-1-1)
-While the Hornets are destroying everyone they face outside of the top ten, they’ve failed to win their two games against other quality teams. At this point in the season that’s not a serious concern, but it’s something to keep an eye on; they need to be able to win the close ones, which they’ve haven’t had too many of in recent playoff games. They have nearly two weeks to sort out the results of these first few weeks ahead of their holiday tournament.
This week: Idle

3. St. Thomas Academy (2-0)
-The Cadets, beneficiaries of a soft early schedule, slide up a spot while everyone else gets tangled up in a web of wins and losses. Their game with Minnetonka this week is the only thing resembling a real test in the first month of the season—though Minnetonka just lost to Armstrong/Cooper, so even that might not be much of one.
This week: Thurs vs. Hastings, Sat at Minnetonka

4. Hill-Murray (2-0)
-A come-from-behind win versus Benilde has the Pioneers moving up the board some. They’re not as deep offensively as the top couple teams, but with their defense and top line, they’re going to be a force. Two Class A teams are up this week, including a Mahtomedi team that’s looked pretty good so far.
This week: Tues vs. Hibbing, Sat vs. Mahtomedi

5. Wayzata (5-1-1)
-The Trojans had a strong week with wins over Eagan and Lakeville South, and thereby stake out a spot in the top 5. They play just one game in each of the next three weeks, the first coming against a rising Andover team.
This week: Tues at Andover

6. Elk River (3-1)
-The Elks continue to amass the goals, putting up 11 in both of their wins this week, but they’re still giving things up a pretty high rate, too. After a few more fairly easy games, a battle with Blaine looms on Saturday.
This week: Tues at Spring Lake Park, Thurs at Anoka, Sat vs. Blaine

7. Eden Prairie (4-0)
-The Eagles are off to a perfect start, with all of their wins coming against passably good opposition. That stretch of quality opponents continues this week, as they face Cretin and then host Benilde in the first major 6AA positioning battle of the season.
This week: Tues at Cretin-Derham Hall, Fri vs. #8 Benilde-St. Margaret’s

8. Benilde-St. Margaret’s (2-2)
-Not a good week for the Red Knights, as they tumbled against Burnsville and let one get away against Hill. There’s plenty of depth here and they move the puck well, but they need to find some chemistry and shore things up in their own zone. We’ll get a sense of what direction they’re going in the Eden Prairie game.
This week: Fri at #7 Eden Prairie

9. Prior Lake (1-1-1)
-A slight reach, perhaps, but no one else is really standing out here, and they won comfortably against a decent Jefferson team to improve their standing in 2AA. In addition to being an important section seeding battle, this week’s game with Burnsville will give some clarity to the part of the rankings behind the consensus top eight.
This week: Tues at Chanhassen, Thurs at Eagan, Sat at #10 Burnsville

10. Burnsville (2-2)
-It was a confusing week for the Blaze, as they buried six goals in a win over Benilde and then lost to a Minnetonka team that just fell to Robbinsdale. Given their close loss to Hill and the equally flat performances by the teams around them, they get some benefit of the doubt for now. We’ll see if that’s justified in the big week ahead, as they take a crack at the new #1 and then face Prior Lake in a key 2AA seeding battle.
This week: Thurs at #1 Lakeville North, Sat vs. #8 Prior Lake

11. Grand Rapids (4-1)
-Laid an egg against Warroad after rolling through their first four games of the season. There’s still plenty of reason for optimism given their offensive performances, but they have yet to play a real top-line opponent. That changes this week, when Lakeville North comes to town; before that, they have to handle Duluth Marshall, which is off to a strong start as well.
This week: Fri vs. Duluth Marshall, Sat vs. #1 Lakeville North

12. Duluth East (1-1-1)
-Puttering along to start the season, as they had an adventurous win over Superior and failed to put away Andover. We’ve seen this December script before from the Hounds, but it also shows they’re not quite a cohesive unit yet. Two more potentially troublesome 7AA opponents are up this week, including archrival Cloquet, who beat them last February.
This week: Thurs vs. Cloquet, Sat vs. St. Michael-Albertville

13. White Bear Lake (3-0)
-The Bears make their debut in the top 15 after a third straight convincing win. They have yet to be seriously tested—and may not be until a January game against Edina—but as long as they pile up wins with style points, they can crack the rankings. Two more SEC opponents are up this week.
This week: Thurs at Forest Lake, Sat at Woodbury

14. Holy Family (3-2)
-Cruised past Holy Angels, but a rough loss to Breck has the Fire treading water. When things go wrong for this team, they seem to go very wrong. A 3-game week awaits, including a top-10 class A team and a possible challenge against Moorhead.
This week: Tues vs. New Prague, Thurs vs. Mound-Westonka, Sat at Moorhead

15. Lakeville South (0-1-1)
-This is pretty much a throwaway pick, but the tie with Prior Lake looks good with the Lakers edging up, and the loss to Wayzata isn’t a bad result, either. The Eastview game this week should be immediate indication as to whether they belong here.
This week: Thurs vs. Eastview, Sat at Shakopee

On the Bubble

Farmington (3-2)
-Took care of a couple of Rochester teams, but were shut out by Eden Prairie. Their next few weeks are on the softer side, so we’ll see if they can pile up some solid wins to solidify their standing as a contender.

Andover (2-0-1)
-A tie with Duluth East is a nice boost for the Huskies; while they were outshot heavily, Maddie Rooney looks to be the real deal. The challenges pick up this week, with Wayzata on Tuesday followed by games with Maple Grove and Centennial.

Maple Grove (2-4)
-A win over Blaine is a step in the right direction, and while some of their losses have been ugly, they all were to better teams. They can continue their progress if they can do something against Andover this week.

Blaine (2-2)
-Followed a strong win over Totino with a loss to Maple Grove. A huge week involving Centennial and Elk River will tell us if these early losses are fluky, or proof that they just aren’t a top-15 team.

Centennial (2-1)
-The Cougars round out this string of Northwest Suburban teams; their lone loss was to Edina, and their wins, while not flashy, are wins. They now embark on a very tough stretch of games, beginning with Blaine and Andover this week.

Watch list: Bemidji, Moorhead, Hopkins, Minnetonka, Cretin-Derham Hall, Eastview, St. Michael-Albertville

Here are a few comments on each section. I won’t bother to try seeding teams at this point, but this gives a decent idea of where we stand.

1AA
-Lakeville North is the obvious frontrunner, but Farmington’s close game and decent start has them in good position. Lakeville South has potential but needs to get a few more games in the books, and Rochester Century looks to be the best of the rest.

2AA
-Edina is #1, as usual, and this week’s Burnsville-Prior Lake game will give someone the inside track for #2. There isn’t much clarity beyond that yet.

3AA
-So far, it looks like there might be a pretty big gap between St. Thomas and the field. Cretin staked a claim to #2 with a narrow victory over Eastview; they could be trouble once they’re healthy, but it’s been a slow start otherwise. Not much to write home about beyond that so far.

4AA
-After last season’s surprise, this section is reverting to norm at the start: Hill looks strong, White Bear looks like they could be a real threat, and Stillwater has yet to really get on track. Roseville clipped the Ponies on Saturday and is the other likely top-4 seed.

5AA
-There’s no one in the top 15 here, but it does look like a wide-open three-way race, at the very least. This section seems to be getting progressively weaker.

6AA
-I’d label Wayzata the tentative frontrunner at the moment here, while this week’s Benilde-Eden Prairie game will give us an early #2 and #3. Until Holy Family does a bit more, I’d call it a three-horse race. There’s been some interesting action outside of the top 15, too; Hopkins knocked off Hermantown and is off to a decent start, while Minnetonka has a Jekyll and Hyde act going, and Armstrong/Cooper proved they won’t be a doormat.

7AA
-With East and Rapids both tripping up on Saturday, Elk River moves ahead of the field for now. While thin, Andover has shown it can hang with at least one of the big three. Cloquet took some lumps this past week, and we’re still waiting for a clearer verdict on St. Michael-Albertville. Elk River and Grand Rapids will face off in Edina next week in a pivotal seeding game.

8AA
-Bemidji made a statement with a win over Moorhead, and the Spuds have done reasonably well beyond that game, so we have a clear top two. After that, it’s pretty much a free-for-all at this point.
Last edited by karl(east) on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

I was wondering if Goldie was able to shame you into dropping East from the Top Ten and putting a 1AA team (granted, a Metro team) at the top. Must have caused gastric distress to do so. :mrgreen:

As always, nice job and a fun read.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

With East and Rapids both tripping up on Saturday, Elk River moves ahead of the field for now.

Karl, Elk River has always been the front runner in this section from day one, shame on you.
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

east hockey wrote:I was wondering if Goldie was able to shame you into dropping East from the Top Ten and putting a 1AA team (granted, a Metro team) at the top. Must have caused gastric distress to do so. :mrgreen:

As always, nice job and a fun read.

Lee
Shaming, whining, moaning, badgering....to be followed by celebrating when crumbs are thrown southward?

I eagerly await Goldie's reaction. :-k
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Agree its a mess after 8.

I would flip Elk ahead of Wayz since, if in doubt, I would give credit to their head to head win.

The big story of the week was Maddie Rooney locking up a tie against Duluth East
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Goldie shouldn't be able to post until he clears his impact post concussion test after hitting his head on the tuba at the LN game the other night. :lol:
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

Elks shouldn't drop a spot after 2 wins this week. Especially to Wayzata (who they beat) just because Wayzata beat both winless Eagan and Lakeville South. Also Lakeville South at #15 just because they tied Prior Lake seems a bit overrated.
elliott70

Re: AA Rankings for 12/7/2014

Post by elliott70 »

karl(east) wrote: The goal here is to not be a slave to A-beat-B-so-A-has-to-be-better-than-B logic.

Logic dictates that if A beats B recently (for this purpose the current week) then A is better than B.

If the win is in week 1 and we are now in week 6, then the body of work should dictate.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Need to tweak...

1. Lakeville North (2-0)

2. Edina (5-1-1)
3 Hiill
4 Wayzata

5 El River
6. STA

7. Eden Prairie

9 Grand Rapids
10 white bear lake
11 Burnsville

12 Prior Lake

13 Duluth East (1-1-1)
14 Andover
15 Bemidji
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

More importantly than the rankings, I was able to meetThe Man.. Yes, Karl himself. His black pea coat betraying his Twin Ports roots, it's easy to see why the ladies always swoon over his rakish good looks. Tweeting and updating blog posts while issueing keen insights in the HM-BSM match, truly he's a millennial made for the internet age. Its always something to watch a master plying his trade.

Oh yeah, I did see another well known fella there. Couldn't quite place him, pretty sure he coaches another squad in town here. He took a lot of notes during power plays, like he was looking for answers. I'm sure he could have
learned a thing or two from Karl. Shoulda introduced them to each other.

Definitely a season highlight for me.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:More importantly than the rankings, I was able to meetThe Man.. Yes, Karl himself. His black pea coat betraying his Twin Ports roots, it's easy to see why the ladies always swoon over his rakish good looks. Tweeting and updating blog posts while issueing keen insights in the HM-BSM match, truly he's a millennial made for the internet age. Its always something to watch a master plying his trade.

Oh yeah, I did see another well known fella there. Couldn't quite place him, pretty sure he coaches another squad in town here. He took a lot of notes during power plays, like he was looking for answers. I'm sure he could have
learned a thing or two from Karl. Shoulda introduced them to each other.

Definitely a season highlight for me.
:lol: :lol: :wink:

Remember, I do come from the cakey side of Duluth. It was good to meet you and a few other members of the Hill-Murray faithful.

If that other coach (what's his name again?) needs some PP advice, East people are definitely the ones to ask. :D

I pushed Wayzata up over Elk River because Elky's loss to Benilde no longer looks as good as it did a week ago, and because I didn't think I'd quite given Wayzata proper credit for the Edina tie. I definitely understand putting it the other way around, though.

As always, I appreciate the comments.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

elliott70 wrote:Need to tweak...

1. Lakeville North (2-0)

2. Edina (5-1-1)
3 Hiill
4 Wayzata

5 El River
6. STA

7. Eden Prairie

9 Grand Rapids
10 white bear lake
11 Burnsville

12 Prior Lake

13 Duluth East (1-1-1)
14 Andover
15 Bemidji
I like this top 10 more than Karl's, but the next five look shakey.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

BodyShots wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Need to tweak...

1. Lakeville North (2-0)

2. Edina (5-1-1)
3 Hiill
4 Wayzata

5 El River
6. STA

7. Eden Prairie

9 Grand Rapids
10 white bear lake
11 Burnsville

12 Prior Lake

13 Duluth East (1-1-1)
14 Andover
15 Bemidji
I like this top 10 more than Karl's, but the next five look shakey.
Good, now give me your next 5 and we will have something to talk about.
And, everyone post yours and we can have a "'bored' brawl" about the top 15 AA teams - winner takes nothing but sure makes this place more exciting and the winter that much shorter.
Just Checking

Post by Just Checking »

Here is how I see it.

#1 LN
#2 Edina
#3 STA

#4 Hill
#5 EP
#6 Wayzata
#7 ER I think they are better but loss to Wayzata

#8 BSM
#9Burnsville

#10 Prior lake
#11 GR
#12 DE

#13 WB 3-0 but?
#14 Bemibji

#15 Moorhead
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

STAA's goaltending is objectively trash. They'll need to shore that up before they can be considered a top 5 team.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

thestickler07 wrote:STAA's goaltending is objectively trash. They'll need to shore that up before they can be considered a top 5 team.
I haven't seen them play this year, but from what I saw last year I wouldn't call either goalie "trash." St Thomas has had some amazing goalies the last handful of years. Personally, I thought Hallett was better, played very well for a majority of the season and was surprised when Snow was given the nod. Luckily for them, they'll have a handful of games to get things figured out this season.
edgeUcated

Post by edgeUcated »

So did I see Holy Family lost to New Prague 3-2? Hockey Hub had it posted last night now this am no score posted -- game not even listed on the ticker dashboard - can anyone confirm? Interesting to see if the program returns to single A after the high end talent graduates this year - not sure how the JV squad looks or if the ability to bring in Top-end transfers will continue
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

edgeUcated wrote:So did I see Holy Family lost to New Prague 3-2? Hockey Hub had it posted last night now this am no score posted -- game not even listed on the ticker dashboard - can anyone confirm? Interesting to see if the program returns to single A after the high end talent graduates this year - not sure how the JV squad looks or if the ability to bring in Top-end transfers will continue
Holy Family did indeed lose 3-2 to New Prague. NP goalie had 20 saves in the final stanza and 43 total in the game.
Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar »

I really like the Mittelstadt kid at EP. I want to start the Mr Hockey 17-18 thread and put him on top or the Who's not coming back 17-18 and put him on top, I'm sure he'll be in Waterloo or Ann Arbor. I think he was more fun to watch than when Wait/Malmquist (zoinks) tore us up last week. Good good player.
Last edited by Tenoverpar on Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
green4

Re: f

Post by green4 »

Tenoverpar wrote:I really like the Mittelstadt kid at EP. I want to start the Mr Hockey 17-18 thread and put him on top or the Who's not coming back 17-18 and put him on top, I'm sure he'll be in Waterloo or Ann Arbor. I think he was more fun to watch than when Wait/Bellows tore us up last week. Good good player.
I'm assuming you are a Cretin fan since EP played them last night and Edina played them last week, as you mentioned. With that said, Bellows did not play against Cretin last week since he no longer plays for Edina. Wait on the other hand does, but he is not a very flashy player. His game is very simple and he does well with that.
I watched part of the Cretin-EP game online and I agree, Mittelstadt looks good and is a joy to watch. A lot of talent in that individual.
Just Checking

Post by Just Checking »

karl(east) wrote:Here’s week two of rankings. Once again, the top teams seem relatively clear, and after that it’s an utter mess. As usual, I’m erring on the side of caution, trying not to overreact to one good or bad result or push a team too high because they’re beating a bunch of lower-level teams. The goal here is to not be a slave to A-beat-B-so-A-has-to-be-better-than-B logic.

1. Lakeville North (2-0)
-A big win over Edina gives the Panthers some measure of revenge after last year’s state final, and boosts them to the top spot. With three top-flight defensemen in front of Edquist in goal, they should be very tough to crack when they’re on their game. It’s hard to be definitive after just two games, though, and their schedule gets going in earnest this week, with two more quality opponents on the docket.
This week: Tues vs. Apple Valley, Thurs vs. #10 Burnsville, Sat at #11 Grand Rapids

2. Edina (5-1-1)
-While the Hornets are destroying everyone they face outside of the top ten, they’ve failed to win their two games against other quality teams. At this point in the season that’s not a serious concern, but it’s something to keep an eye on; they need to be able to win the close ones, which they’ve haven’t had too many of in recent playoff games. They have nearly two weeks to sort out the results of these first few weeks ahead of their holiday tournament.
This week: Idle

3. St. Thomas Academy (2-0)
-The Cadets, beneficiaries of a soft early schedule, slide up a spot while everyone else gets tangled up in a web of wins and losses. Their game with Minnetonka this week is the only thing resembling a real test in the first month of the season—though Minnetonka just lost to Armstrong/Cooper, so even that might not be much of one.
This week: Thurs vs. Hastings, Sat at Minnetonka

4. Hill-Murray (2-0)
-A come-from-behind win versus Benilde has the Pioneers moving up the board some. They’re not as deep offensively as the top couple teams, but with their defense and top line, they’re going to be a force. Two Class A teams are up this week, including a Mahtomedi team that’s looked pretty good so far.
This week: Tues vs. Hibbing, Sat vs. Mahtomedi

5. Wayzata (5-1-1)
-The Trojans had a strong week with wins over Eagan and Lakeville South, and thereby stake out a spot in the top 5. They play just one game in each of the next three weeks, the first coming against a rising Andover team.
This week: Tues at Andover

6. Elk River (3-1)
-The Elks continue to amass the goals, putting up 11 in both of their wins this week, but they’re still giving things up a pretty high rate, too. After a few more fairly easy games, a battle with Blaine looms on Saturday.
This week: Tues at Spring Lake Park, Thurs at Anoka, Sat vs. Blaine

7. Eden Prairie (4-0)
-The Eagles are off to a perfect start, with all of their wins coming against passably good opposition. That stretch of quality opponents continues this week, as they face Cretin and then host Benilde in the first major 6AA positioning battle of the season.
This week: Tues at Cretin-Derham Hall, Fri vs. #8 Benilde-St. Margaret’s

-Not a good week for the Red Knights, as they tumbled against Burnsville and let one get away against Hill. There’s plenty of depth here and they move the puck well, but they need to find some chemistry and shore things up in their own zone. We’ll get a sense of what direction they’re going in the Eden Prairie game.
This week: Fri at #7 Eden Prairie

9. Prior Lake (1-1-1)
-A slight reach, perhaps, but no one else is really standing out here, and they won comfortably against a decent Jefferson team to improve their standing in 2AA. In addition to being an important section seeding battle, this week’s game with Burnsville will give some clarity to the part of the rankings behind the consensus top eight.
This week: Tues at Chanhassen, Thurs at Eagan, Sat at #10 Burnsville

10. Burnsville (2-2)
-It was a confusing week for the Blaze, as they buried six goals in a win over Benilde and then lost to a Minnetonka team that just fell to Robbinsdale. Given their close loss to Hill and the equally flat performances by the teams around them, they get some benefit of the doubt for now. We’ll see if that’s justified in the big week ahead, as they take a crack at the new #1 and then face Prior Lake in a key 2AA seeding battle.
This week: Thurs at #1 Lakeville North, Sat vs. #8 Prior Lake

11. Grand Rapids (4-1)
-Laid an egg against Warroad after rolling through their first four games of the season. There’s still plenty of reason for optimism given their offensive performances, but they have yet to play a real top-line opponent. That changes this week, when Lakeville North comes to town; before that, they have to handle Duluth Marshall, which is off to a strong start as well.
This week: Fri vs. Duluth Marshall, Sat vs. #1 Lakeville North

12. Duluth East (1-1-1)
-Puttering along to start the season, as they had an adventurous win over Superior and failed to put away Andover. We’ve seen this December script before from the Hounds, but it also shows they’re not quite a cohesive unit yet. Two more potentially troublesome 7AA opponents are up this week, including archrival Cloquet, who beat them last February.
This week: Thurs vs. Cloquet, Sat vs. St. Michael-Albertville

13. White Bear Lake (3-0)
-The Bears make their debut in the top 15 after a third straight convincing win. They have yet to be seriously tested—and may not be until a January game against Edina—but as long as they pile up wins with style points, they can crack the rankings. Two more SEC opponents are up this week.
This week: Thurs at Forest Lake, Sat at Woodbury

14. Holy Family (3-2)
-Cruised past Holy Angels, but a rough loss to Breck has the Fire treading water. When things go wrong for this team, they seem to go very wrong. A 3-game week awaits, including a top-10 class A team and a possible challenge against Moorhead.
This week: Tues vs. New Prague, Thurs vs. Mound-Westonka, Sat at Moorhead

15. Lakeville South (0-1-1)
-This is pretty much a throwaway pick, but the tie with Prior Lake looks good with the Lakers edging up, and the loss to Wayzata isn’t a bad result, either. The Eastview game this week should be immediate indication as to whether they belong here.
This week: Thurs vs. Eastview, Sat at Shakopee

On the Bubble

Farmington (3-2)
-Took care of a couple of Rochester teams, but were shut out by Eden Prairie. Their next few weeks are on the softer side, so we’ll see if they can pile up some solid wins to solidify their standing as a contender.

Andover (2-0-1)
-A tie with Duluth East is a nice boost for the Huskies; while they were outshot heavily, Maddie Rooney looks to be the real deal. The challenges pick up this week, with Wayzata on Tuesday followed by games with Maple Grove and Centennial.

Maple Grove (2-4)
-A win over Blaine is a step in the right direction, and while some of their losses have been ugly, they all were to better teams. They can continue their progress if they can do something against Andover this week.

Blaine (2-2)
-Followed a strong win over Totino with a loss to Maple Grove. A huge week involving Centennial and Elk River will tell us if these early losses are fluky, or proof that they just aren’t a top-15 team.

Centennial (2-1)
-The Cougars round out this string of Northwest Suburban teams; their lone loss was to Edina, and their wins, while not flashy, are wins. They now embark on a very tough stretch of games, beginning with Blaine and Andover this week.

Watch list: Bemidji, Moorhead, Hopkins, Minnetonka, Cretin-Derham Hall, Eastview, St. Michael-Albertville

Here are a few comments on each section. I won’t bother to try seeding teams at this point, but this gives a decent idea of where we stand.

1AA
-Lakeville North is the obvious frontrunner, but Farmington’s close game and decent start has them in good position. Lakeville South has potential but needs to get a few more games in the books, and Rochester Century looks to be the best of the rest.

2AA
-Edina is #1, as usual, and this week’s Burnsville-Prior Lake game will give someone the inside track for #2. There isn’t much clarity beyond that yet.

3AA
-So far, it looks like there might be a pretty big gap between St. Thomas and the field. Cretin staked a claim to #2 with a narrow victory over Eastview; they could be trouble once they’re healthy, but it’s been a slow start otherwise. Not much to write home about beyond that so far.

4AA
-After last season’s surprise, this section is reverting to norm at the start: Hill looks strong, White Bear looks like they could be a real threat, and Stillwater has yet to really get on track. Roseville clipped the Ponies on Saturday and is the other likely top-4 seed.

5AA
-There’s no one in the top 15 here, but it does look like a wide-open three-way race, at the very least. This section seems to be getting progressively weaker.

6AA
-I’d label Wayzata the tentative frontrunner at the moment here, while this week’s Benilde-Eden Prairie game will give us an early #2 and #3. Until Holy Family does a bit more, I’d call it a three-horse race. There’s been some interesting action outside of the top 15, too; Hopkins knocked off Hermantown and is off to a decent start, while Minnetonka has a Jekyll and Hyde act going, and Armstrong/Cooper proved they won’t be a doormat.

7AA
-With East and Rapids both tripping up on Saturday, Elk River moves ahead of the field for now. While thin, Andover has shown it can hang with at least one of the big three. Cloquet took some lumps this past week, and we’re still waiting for a clearer verdict on St. Michael-Albertville. Elk River and Grand Rapids will face off in Edina next week in a pivotal seeding game.

8AA
-Bemidji made a statement with a win over Moorhead, and the Spuds have done reasonably well beyond that game, so we have a clear top two. After that, it’s pretty much a free-for-all at this point.
Interesting to see how close 1/115 USHSHO ranking is to 12/7/14 top 10 from Karl. Gets a little messy after that but no team is off by more than a spot.

1,Edina,MN,___________________________ 11 1 2, 2 2.2, 12.3, 14.53, 14.23 ,AA,2
2,Lakeville North,MN,_________________ 11 0 0, 1 2.2, 12.2, 14.43, 14.76 ,AA,1
3,St. Thomas Academy,MN,______________ 10 0 0, 2 2.7, 11.2, 13.93, 14.07 ,AA,3
4,Hill-Murray,MN,_____________________ 7 4 0, 0 1.5, 12.0, 13.47, 13.38 ,AA,4
5,Wayzata,MN,_________________________ 7 4 2, 1 1.0, 12.4, 13.38, 12.75 ,AA,6
6,Eden Prairie,MN,____________________ 8 5 0, 0 0.7, 12.2, 12.91, 11.27 ,AA,6
7,Elk River,MN,_______________________ 10 3 0, 1 1.2, 11.6, 12.86, 11.90 ,AA,7
8,Prior Lake,MN,______________________ 7 3 1, 1 1.3, 11.3, 12.57, 12.61 ,AA,2
9,Benilde-St. Margaret's,MN,__________ 5 5 2, 0 0.2, 12.3, 12.50, 12.87 ,AA,6
10,Burnsville,MN,______________________ 5 6 1, 0 -0.1, 12.4, 12.33, 12.98 ,AA,2