Class A Rankings 12-14-14

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Should St Paul Como Park be ranked in the Top 20?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:56 am

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 17

CreaseMonkey

Post by CreaseMonkey »

pekyman wrote:No intention to downplay Bemidji. Herm plays them there on Jan 17, should be a battle.

Your spot on on the depth and swing comment.
The "downplay" statement was probably too harsh. I should have probably said take lightly.

Bemidji and GFRR may well be the barometer to figure out how some of these teams line up, especially in 8A. The two losses for EGF and Warroad come against the same teams, so it is interesting to play with the numbers. Not to make excuses, but to try to weed out some X Factors that will hopefully not be in play when sections roll around.

Like I said, injuries and depth play into the results, and it is interesting if you factor in a couple of things.

EGF decided to start their backup goalie in the GFRR game, and Warroad playing without an injured Kobe Roth. Not sure about EGF, but Warroad only skates 2 lines, so legs become a factor as well.

Taking those variables into account, this is how I see those games:

EGF gave up 3 early goals against GFRR. After the goalie change they settled down, and only allowed 2 goals on 16 shots. Toss out those first few minutes and lets call that a 2-0 loss.

Warroad lost 3-1 to GFRR. Roth did not play, and they gave up the final 2 goals in the last couple of minutes, so 2-1 loss or 1-1 tie... Take your pick.

EGF lost 2-1 to Bemidji which was a fairly straight up game as far as I know. Correct me if there was anything that should be considered.

Warroad lost to Bemidji 5-0. Were never really in this game, but things tilted fully toward Bemidji after Roth went out with his injury. Bemidji scored 3 goals in the final 4 minutes, with the last coming in a 5 on 3 power play. Toss those minutes out, like we did for EGF vs GFRR, and call it a 2-0 loss.

The only result I can come up with is that both teams lost a game 2-1 and another 2-0. I don't think that does anything to separate one from the other, and I am not confident that the result of their game this Friday will yield any final answers either, since Roth will likely not play.

I am fairly confident that Duluth Marshall is better than Warroad, yet they both beat Grand Rapids by a similar score. Their head to head game in January will be interesting, as well as the Hermantown vs Bemidji game.

For now I would say that it is 1)Hermantown 2)Duluth Marshall and that EGF and Warroad fall somewhere in the 5-10 range, with EGF being the stronger of the two right now.
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

CreaseMonkey wrote:
pekyman wrote:No intention to downplay Bemidji. Herm plays them there on Jan 17, should be a battle.

The "downplay" statement was probably too harsh. I should have probably said take lightly.

Bemidji and GFRR may well be the barometer to figure out how some of these teams line up, especially in 8A. The two losses for EGF and Warroad come against the same teams, so it is interesting to play with the numbers. Not to make excuses, but to try to weed out some X Factors that will hopefully not be in play when sections roll around.

Like I said, injuries and depth play into the results, and it is interesting if you factor in a couple of things.

EGF decided to start their backup goalie in the GFRR game, and Warroad playing without an injured Kobe Roth. Not sure about EGF, but Warroad only skates 2 lines, so legs become a factor as well.

EGF gave up 3 early goals against GFRR. After the goalie change they settled down, and only allowed 2 goals on 16 shots. Toss out those first few minutes and lets call that a 2-0 loss.

Warroad lost 3-1 to GFRR. Roth did not play, and they gave up the final 2 goals in the last couple of minutes, so 2-1 loss or 1-1 tie... Take your pick.

EGF lost 2-1 to Bemidji which was a fairly straight up game as far as I know. Correct me if there was anything that should be considered.

Warroad lost to Bemidji 5-0. Were never really in this game, but things tilted fully toward Bemidji after Roth went out with his injury. Bemidji scored 3 goals in the final 4 minutes, with the last coming in a 5 on 3 power play. Toss those minutes out, like we did for EGF vs GFRR, and call it a 2-0 loss.

The only result I can come up with is that both teams lost a game 2-1 and another 2-0. I don't think that does anything to separate one from the other, and I am not confident that the result of their game this Friday will yield any final answers either, since Roth will likely not play.

I am fairly confident that Duluth Marshall is better than Warroad, yet they both beat Grand Rapids by a similar score. Their head to head game in January will be interesting, as well as the Hermantown vs Bemidji game.

For now I would say that it is 1)Hermantown 2)Duluth Marshall and that EGF and Warroad fall somewhere in the 5-10 range, with EGF being the stronger of the two right now.
if you have EGF and Warroad dropped down to 5-10... Who are the other teams that round out your top 5 ahead of them?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

CreaseMonkey wrote:

********************************+************
Bemidji's best D was out with injury. Second line F was out, also.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Luverne

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

What makes this team get a ranking this high. No more real competition till state. Make it to state then maybe a top 15. Not till then. Closest thing to competition in schedule left is Totino grace the great falling fast eagles.
notTONIGHT

Re: Luverne

Post by notTONIGHT »

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:What makes this team get a ranking this high. No more real competition till state. Make it to state then maybe a top 15. Not till then. Closest thing to competition in schedule left is Totino grace the great falling fast eagles.
Did you just realize nobody liked your stupid tournament of champions or whatever? Now your turning on high school boys?
HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower »

Froggy Richards wrote:
pekyman wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:1 Warroad
0 Thief River Falls

Despite TRF spending 10 minutes in the box (to Warroad's 4), their PK allowed no goals and they only allowed 1 goal the entire game. Shots 20-19

4 Orono
1 Chanhassen

Orono picked up their first win of the season (by the same score as Delano) over a Chanhassen team who beat Hopkins.

2 Bemidji
1 East Grand Forks

This is a Bemedji team who beat TRF 3-2 and Warroad 5-0 and tied Apollo 1-1.

Tweet from Follow the puck:
“FYI... Based on enrollment numbers, Grand Forks Red River (ND) would be considered a class A team in Minnesota. EGF was beat 5-0 by GRRR.

Regarding you last week poll question, in my book EGF has already been beaten by a Class A program and now by an unranked AA team. Also, Hermantown destroyed TRF 8-2.
Until they play, it's all speculation. Last time they met, Hermantown looked like a Bantam team against them. If Hermantown wants respect, move up to AA. What's the point of playing AA in Peewee and Bantam only to drop down in HS? They get players from all over the area. Time to move up!
Bantam AA are 3-14-2
Peewee AA are 8-8-4
Yes their dominating. They get players and lose players. What would be 4 current Bantam players this year are enrolled and playing at Marshall.
Hockey North

Post by Hockey North »

Hermantown Arena. Never seen a place that counts so many phantom shots for the home team. :P :oops:

I think the scoreboard is what matters and it doesn't look like Duluth Marshall is much different than the Hawks in similar games played.

One other thing, the 2 guys they lost were good players, but not their top 2 players as mentioned previously. There are a lot of good players left to hold up this team as you can see.

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/spo ... 64171.html

And for the whiners, Marshall is opting up to AA
rainier

Post by rainier »

HawkeyPower wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Tweet from Follow the puck:
“FYI... Based on enrollment numbers, Grand Forks Red River (ND) would be considered a class A team in Minnesota. EGF was beat 5-0 by GRRR.

Regarding you last week poll question, in my book EGF has already been beaten by a Class A program and now by an unranked AA team. Also, Hermantown destroyed TRF 8-2.
Until they play, it's all speculation. Last time they met, Hermantown looked like a Bantam team against them. If Hermantown wants respect, move up to AA. What's the point of playing AA in Peewee and Bantam only to drop down in HS? They get players from all over the area. Time to move up!
Bantam AA are 3-14-2
Peewee AA are 8-8-4
Yes their dominating. They get players and lose players. What would be 4 current Bantam players this year are enrolled and playing at Marshall.
I wonder if these 4 knew about Marshall going AA before joining the team. One has to think so.
Whiner33

Re: Luverne

Post by Whiner33 »

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:What makes this team get a ranking this high. No more real competition till state. Make it to state then maybe a top 15. Not till then. Closest thing to competition in schedule left is Totino grace the great falling fast eagles.
Yep you're right on here Luverne is having a hard time spelling import... Aka...Warroad...
HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower »

rainier wrote:
HawkeyPower wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote: Until they play, it's all speculation. Last time they met, Hermantown looked like a Bantam team against them. If Hermantown wants respect, move up to AA. What's the point of playing AA in Peewee and Bantam only to drop down in HS? They get players from all over the area. Time to move up!
Bantam AA are 3-14-2
Peewee AA are 8-8-4
I wonder if these 4 knew about Marshall going AA before joining the team. One has to think so.
They were going there all along. One has a brother who is there already and the other 3 are from the same family who was going there anyway.