Schwan Cup 2014 - Dec. 29th, 30th & 31st [gold division]

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Bayside Tigers

Schwan Cup 2014 - Dec. 29th, 30th & 31st [gold division]

Post by Bayside Tigers »

Burnsville @ Eastview 12PM

Hill-Murray @ Eden Prairie 2:30PM

Duluth East @ St. Thomas 5:30PM

Minnetonka @ Edina 8PM

Round 1 @ Ridder Arena. Anybody going? Discuss.
buttend

Re: Schwan Cup 2014 - Dec. 29th, 30th & 31st [gold divis

Post by buttend »

Bayside Tigers wrote:Burnsville @ Eastview 12PM

Hill-Murray @ Eden Prairie 2:30PM

Duluth East @ St. Thomas 5:30PM

Minnetonka @ Edina 8PM

Round 1 @ Ridder Arena. Anybody going? Discuss.
Semi's
Burnsville vs EP
STA vs Edina

Finals
EP vs Edina... Edina wins
DumpandChase1

Post by DumpandChase1 »

Nice job by the tournament to set up 2 first round games with teams from the same conference.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

DumpandChase1 wrote:Nice job by the tournament to set up 2 first round games with teams from the same conference.
Looks like the Burnsville-Eastview game is actually a conference game. I only see them on each other's schedules once otherwise. Edina-Tonka certainly could have been avoided, though.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Just tuned into the stream at the end of the 2nd period to hear that Burnsville is up 5-0 after two periods over Eastview. Shots 21-14 in favor of the Blaze. I don't know whether those shot totals are for the 2nd period only or the game so far, I assume the game.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the process of teams getting into the non-Gold Divisions/getting into or out of the Schwan Cup all together?

I'm always surprised by specifics of which tournament teams are in (mainly Luverne in the Open after winning the Open last year) and how there are usually better teams in Open and Bronze than Silver, etc.
0-3 in Gold and you drop to Silver, 3-0 in Silver and you jump to Gold, but what else beyond that?
buttend wrote: Semi's
Burnsville vs EP
STA vs Edina

Finals
If I were putting money on it, this is the direction I'd go. However, it would be great to see STA in the finals instead of Edina \:D/
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Final:
Burnsville 5, Eastview 0
Shots 27-25
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the process of teams getting into the non-Gold Divisions/getting into or out of the Schwan Cup all together?

I'm always surprised by specifics of which tournament teams are in (mainly Luverne in the Open after winning the Open last year) and how there are usually better teams in Open and Bronze than Silver, etc.
0-3 in Gold and you drop to Silver, 3-0 in Silver and you jump to Gold, but what else beyond that?
buttend wrote: Semi's
Burnsville vs EP
STA vs Edina

Finals
If I were putting money on it, this is the direction I'd go. However, it would be great to see STA in the finals instead of Edina \:D/
Agreed, although depending on what EP shows up, I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Hill beat them.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Sats81 wrote:Agreed, although depending on what EP shows up, I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Hill beat them.
All tied up at 1-1 about halfway through the first.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Sats81 wrote:Agreed, although depending on what EP shows up, I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Hill beat them.
All tied up at 1-1 about halfway through the first.
EP 3 - HM 2 OT
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

STA 4, DE 1, Final.

East did a decent job of hanging around against a more skilled team. They were down 2-1 mid-3rd, had a golden chance to tie it up, wasted it, and after a turnover on the blue line, STA had a 2-on-1 the other direction and made it 3-1.

Not quite enough pressure from the Hounds--I think their scorers may be spread a bit too thinly across the 3 lines. A lot of decent hockey, but nothing great, and a few too many 2-on-1s in the 3rd. Hedin started in place of Howg in goal. On to the consolation bracket.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

karl(east) wrote:
DumpandChase1 wrote:Nice job by the tournament to set up 2 first round games with teams from the same conference.
Looks like the Burnsville-Eastview game is actually a conference game. I only see them on each other's schedules once otherwise. Edina-Tonka certainly could have been avoided, though.
Whaaaaaa?
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Tonka wins in shootout.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

I think East ran out of gas. Just not enough depth against STAA and they tried to run 2 lines and maybe 3 D. The Cadets looked a bit sloppy offensively and couldn't get rolling until the 3rd. Pretty strong team defensively that blocks shots and clears the puck. Lone DE goal came from behind the net off the Cadets goalie on a PP.

B'ville looked flat but they were up 5 rip so the foot may have been off the gas. EV showed that the idea of moving to Gold because they won the Silver isn't a good idea especially when you lose a gamer like Driscoll. The best game and probably teams were EP and HM. HM is a bit thin compared to past years but played a solid team game. EP has two very good lines. Should be interesting tomorrow but I won't shed a tear not seeing the cake in the semis.

And how about LN beating Moorhead 10-1 in that other tourney? :cry:
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

HM 2 - Eastview 0 after 1 period.

HM has 2:06 of power play left on a 5 minute major.

Shots:
HM - 12
Eastview - 1
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:I won't shed a tear not seeing the cake in the semis.
Have you been to Eden Prairie, Minnetonka or STA's parking lot lately?
Cadets16

Post by Cadets16 »

stpaul wrote:
Nuts&Bolts wrote:I won't shed a tear not seeing the cake in the semis.
Have you been to Eden Prairie, Minnetonka or STA's parking lot lately?
Yeah, just today actually. There wasn't much there over break.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Final:
HM - 5
Eastview - 1

Announcer on this stream is confused about how a consolation bracket works. He keeps saying that Hill-Murray is going to play the 3rd place game and Eastview the 5th place game.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Traxler wrote:Final:
HM - 5
Eastview - 1

Announcer on this stream is confused about how a consolation bracket works. He keeps saying that Hill-Murray is going to play the 3rd place game and Eastview the 5th place game.
You could make an argument that HM v Edina is a 3rd place game, but that will upset Blaze and Tonka fans...
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Sparlimb wrote:
Traxler wrote:Final:
HM - 5
Eastview - 1

You could make an argument that HM v Edina is a 3rd place game, but that will upset Blaze and Tonka fans...
Your comment may upset Blaze and Tonka fans more. They may believe they can win.

It would be funny if they awarded a 3rd place trophy (if there even is one) to the winner of the Consolation Final.
stpaul

Schwan Cup

Post by stpaul »

Did Duluth East forfeit to Edina?
Traxler

Re: Schwan Cup

Post by Traxler »

stpaul wrote:Did Duluth East forfeit to Edina?
I'm not sure why I have to explain this, but he is assuming three results:

Edina over Duluth East
Eden Prairie over Burnsville
St. Thomas Academy over Minnetonka

In the first period, Edina is leading Duluth East 2-0. 9:47 remains in the period.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Power play goal by East and Edina leads 2-1. Lucas Hedin replaced Gunnar Hoag after Edina's second goal.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

4 on 4 goal for Edina and they lead 3-1.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Edina 3-1 after one period and they lead in shots: 9-7.