Grand Rapids at Hermantown

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

HTown by a ton.
37%
HTown.
47%
Grand Rapids with a lucky bounce.
No votes
Or THawks finally get it together for a nice win.
16%

Total votes: 19

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:21 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:MSHSL enrollments:
Hermantown 615
Cloquet 586
Grand Rapids 941
Roseau. 371
As far as hockey resources like quality feeder program how would you rank these 4 programs?
Enrollments are only a small part of the story. Herb Brooks always said the key was the base of the Pyramid.

Number of Mite Teams:

Hermantown - 10
Rapids - 7
CEC - Not listed, probably in the 7-8 range.
Roseau - 3

Hermantown also pulls in several top players at the Youth level from Gary-Morgan Park and Piedmont in Duluth. A few from Proctor and Twig as well.
They recruit don't let Plante fool you. I like hadenuf's idea a lot.
And that's probably the biggest BS statement that is made about Hermantown.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:26 pm

pekyman wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:MSHSL enrollments:
Hermantown 615
Cloquet 586
Grand Rapids 941
Roseau. 371
As far as hockey resources like quality feeder program how would you rank these 4 programs?
Enrollments are only a small part of the story. Herb Brooks always said the key was the base of the Pyramid.

Number of Mite Teams:

Hermantown - 10
Rapids - 7
CEC - Not listed, probably in the 7-8 range.
Roseau - 3

Hermantown also pulls in several top players at the Youth level from Gary-Morgan Park and Piedmont in Duluth. A few from Proctor and Twig as well.
Herm has 3 Bantam teams same as GR. Many years there are 2.
This season Bantam AA is 6-17-2 with losses to GR, East, Cloquet and many others. Don't worry so much I think after this year your going to see a much weaker Hawks team.
Not so sure about weaker teams - HTown has the Peterson kid coming up.
:D

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:34 pm

and this thread is quickly turning into ALMOST being as entertaining as the 3A thread!

HawkeyPower

Re: Grand Rapids at Hermantown

Post by HawkeyPower » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:35 pm

Froggy Richards wrote:
kniven wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Who wins?

I have many friends in who live inHermantown. They all tell me Hermantown hockey is single A because they can't compete with double AA. I disagree, but he must know something. Grand Rapids is AA and Hermantown is A. = AA beats A according to my friend.
It's all BS. If that were true then they wouldn't be AA in Bantam and Peewee. They are chasing trips to State and Trophies, just like STA was. The difference is that STA figured it out after awhile.

Hermantown draws players from an area 10 times the size of Rapids and Cloquet and AA seems to work just fine for them. Not to mention Roseau, which is tiny in comparison.
Everyone keeps saying that Hermantown plays AA at the youth level. Its no different than A hockey from years past they just added a extra A on the end and dropped the C teams. The only relevance between the youth and High School level would be the success they have at those levels. Consistently Hermantown does not compete with the true AA Youth programs. They have had a group of teams be successful recently, but four players at the Bantam level have left and went to D Marshall. Until they consistently compete at the youth level, why would they compete at the AA High School level?
They will not opt up while Plante is the Head Coach as well. He truly believes they are at the level they should be at.
To get back on topic Grand Rapids has won the last 2 meetings. So it should be interesting.

HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:38 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:They are chasing trips to State and Trophies...
Isn't that the point?
Coming from a parent of a 3 time runner up, we had a hell of a time during that span. It was a lot better then being the 3or 4th seed in Sections and getting to State once every 15 years.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:40 pm

I will go with the Injuns 4-3 in OT. I'm hoping they can keep up the momentum they have going lately.

They will have to play their best game of the year to do it.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:44 pm

Sats81 wrote:and this thread is quickly turning into ALMOST being as entertaining as the 3A thread!
almost

:lol: :lol:

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:53 pm

HawkeyPower wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
Isn't that the point?
Coming from a parent of a 3 time runner up, we had a hell of a time during that span. It was a lot better then being the 3or 4th seed in Sections and getting to State once every 15 years.
2013 must have stung a little. That's a tough loss in the final.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:55 pm

Using Duluth Marshall as a common opponent measuring stick you would think Hermantown would be a 1-2 goal favorite. I would hope Rapids could restore order in this class warfare, 4-3 Rapids. Hopefully...7AA pride on ice.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:30 pm

HawkeyPower wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
Isn't that the point?
My comment was mostly to state the issue I've always had with the term "trophy chasing" as every team is doing that every year.
I've also never had a problem with teams not opting up.

That being said, there is a strong case that could be made that were Hermantown in AA, they would've been one of the top teams in 7AA on a regular basis. They would've been top 4 most years without changing much and at least a few players would've gone there who didn't were they AA.

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:46 pm

pekyman wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
kniven wrote:

I have many friends in who live inHermantown. They all tell me Hermantown hockey is single A because they can't compete with double AA. I disagree, but he must know something. Grand Rapids is AA and Hermantown is A. = AA beats A according to my friend.
It's all BS. If that were true then they wouldn't be AA in Bantam and Peewee. They are chasing trips to State and Trophies, just like STA was. The difference is that STA figured it out after awhile.

Hermantown draws players from an area 10 times the size of Rapids and Cloquet and AA seems to work just fine for them. Not to mention Roseau, which is tiny in comparison.
You sure seem bitter. Beaten by the small school one too many times?
You also like to spew quite a bit of BS yourself.
No, not Bitter. But definitely biased. I long for a day when all Class A sections are more up for grabs on a year to year basis. That if your program has that group of kids come through that you only see every ten years, that the dream is alive and you have a shot at making it to State.

The one-class Tournament was the greatest High School Sports event in the country! Don't give me Indiana Basketball. I know it's huge for their State but Hockey and Basketball are light years apart at the High School level. Texas Football? It's closer, but its still a sport with a guaranteed whistle every 5-15 seconds.

Yet, the MSHSL decided to do away with it. Their argument was that the dream should be alive for the hundreds of small schools in the state as well. It took me a long time, but I finally came around to that. Most Class A sections in the State are that way. 7A is not. Now that Marshall moved up, it's even worse. Hermantown could have their worst season in 10 years and still win 7A. That can't be what the MSHSL had in mind. If they opt up, we all know they wouldn't go to State every single year. But they would still go, and it would be a once in a lifetime accomplishment for those kids on that team. And the dream would be alive once again for every other team in the Section. Everybody wins IMDAO. (That was for you Elliott).
Last edited by Froggy Richards on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:53 pm

Froggy Richards wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
kniven wrote:

No, not Bitter. But definitely biased. I long for a day when all Class A sections are more up for grabs on a year to year basis. That if your program has that group of kids come through that you only see every ten years, that the dream is alive and you have a shot at making it to State.

The one-class Tournament was the greatest High School Sports event in the country! Don't give me Indiana Basketball. I know it's huge for their State but Hockey and Basketball are light years apart at the High School level. Texas Football? It's closer, but its still a sport with a guaranteed whistle every 5-15 seconds.

Yet, the MSHSL decided to do away with it. Their argument was that the dream should be alive for the hundreds of small schools in the state as well. It took me a long time, but I finally came around to that. Most Class A sections in the State are that way. 7A is not. Now that Marshall moved up, it's even worse. Hermantown could have their worst season in 10 years and still win 7A. That can't be what the MSHSL had in mind. If they opt up, we all know they wouldn't go to State every single year. But they would still go, and it would be a once in a lifetime accomplishment for those kids on that team. And the dream would be alive once again for every other team in the Section. Everybody wins IMDAO. (That was for you Elliot).
Two T's.

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:59 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
kniven wrote:

Yet, the MSHSL decided to do away with it. Their argument was that the dream should be alive for the hundreds of small schools in the state as well. It took me a long time, but I finally came around to that. Most Class A sections in the State are that way. 7A is not. Now that Marshall moved up, it's even worse. Hermantown could have their worst season in 10 years and still win 7A. That can't be what the MSHSL had in mind. If they opt up, we all know they wouldn't go to State every single year. But they would still go, and it would be a once in a lifetime accomplishment for those kids on that team. And the dream would be alive once again for every other team in the Section. Everybody wins IMDAO. (That was for you Elliot).
Two T's.
Geez, I actually read that earlier on another post too. My apologies Sir.

BigTen

Post by BigTen » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:14 pm

After 1 period Hermantown is up 3-1. Shots are 15-6

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:16 pm

Hermantown up 3-1 after 1. They dominated play most of the period. GR got a badly needed score with under a minute to go.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:32 pm

So much for momentum.

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:38 pm

Rapids is terrible. Absolutely terrible.

BigTen

Post by BigTen » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:52 pm

Now 8-1 after 2 periods. Shots 34-10

Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:20 pm

I pulled up the stream....no words...
It is what it is!

BigTen

Post by BigTen » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:27 pm

Final 10-2 Shots 39-18

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:28 pm

Two of us got the poll right.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:29 pm

WOOOOF. What is going on in GR?

NLHockey

Post by NLHockey » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:30 pm

Slammer wrote:Rapids is terrible. Ab

solutely terrible.[/q

:oops: unreal :roll:
Gotta hand it to Bruce - he has his teams hungry and ready for each and every game. Losing in not an option. Impressively, he is able to motivate each kid to give his all.

HockeyBum

Post by HockeyBum » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:48 pm

I think all of you guys that argue this are nuts!!! Eliminate the arguement and have a single tiered state tourney with the top 8 ranked teams at the end of the year from each A and AA enrollment based. Then have the single A bracket play up to a semi final where you have cross over and A or AA no longer matter. Also the section playoffs can still occur and be part of the seeding for the top 8 teams in each level.

This classification system sucks, community hockey is very uncertain year after year regardless of A or AA class.

The top 5-6 teams in AA and the top 3-4 in A are most of the time the top teams in the state. The rest in A should not go to state and the ones in AA below 5 typically couldnt beat the top 1-2 in single A.

Get a life. The single A to AA arguement is old.

boblee

Post by boblee » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:15 pm