Your favorite High School Hockey Moment

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

boblee

Post by boblee »

-The overtime game that went all night between Duluth East & Apple Valley.
-The following year cheering for Duluth East to beat Edina in the title game.
-Moorhead finishing 2nd a half a million times
-Rapids beating Duluth East in the 07 7AA semis
-Edina vs. BSM at state in 08
-The 2011 7AA final

To name a few.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Best moments (no order) as an old Greenway alumni:
1. Gary Lawson's rush up ice to score the game winner against Hibbing in the 1967 semifinals with less then a minute to play. It was the fifith time Greenway and Hibbing played. Hibbing had just scored to tie it and Lawson answered seconds later.
2. The buzzer going off in 1967 and 1968 in the championship games.
3. Ken Gernander's solo effort through the entire Kennedy team in the 1987 semifinals.
4. Gino Guyer's overtime winner against Eden Prairie in the 2001 quarterfinals.
5. Adam Hauser making close to 50 saves in beating Rapids in the Sectional semifinals.

Although not a moment, anytime Mike Antonovich touched the puck. I still get a sick feeling when I think about Doug Long.
bemused

Post by bemused »

I have 3:
the day in 1969 I took a stick below the eye for 13 stitches and that night my Dad blew off my older brothers and took me and the kid who did it to watch the now classic
Warroad vs. Edina championship game. And yes it was a cheap shot

Watching my older brother play in it in the 70's.

and the best: watching one of my kids play in it (so far).
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

I spent a lot of time going to hockey games with my dad as a kid too. Then I moved to Seattle and realized how much I missed going to the rink on Thursday & Saturday nights. One of my favorite moments was finding out that the state tourney was going to be streamed online back in 04 or 05 for the first time. Some of my favorite games I went to were:
- Jefferson/JM in 1989
- Hill over DE in 1991
- AV/DE
- Losing to Edina in 3OT's in 1997 (the one time we made it to state when I attended Hill)
- North over EP in 2OT's last year ( it was good to be back at the X for the tourney)

My most memorable moments were from 1991 - watching Hill survive vs Forest Lake in 2OT's, followed by a win vs #1 Park in OT. I'll never forget the section final at Met Center; WBL went up 3-0 before Hill finally scored a little over halfway into the 2nd. They scored the final 3 to go to state. I remember going to the state title game and sitting in the top row at the civic center with my little brother, watching Hill win. The only state title game I've been to when they won, I missed '08. Was there for the losses in 1993, 2002 & 2013.
Have a road trip planned to go to the tourney again this year. Can't wait for semifinal Friday!
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

Great Topic. Reading through here brings back a ton of memories.

Echoing a couple of comments:

--I grew up in the western suburbs and the guy who mentioned the section semi-final and final at Met Center was spot on. 15,000+, fans in the aisles, fire marshal-be-damned atmospheres. And on top of the teams he mentioned, it went back to the late 70s when Jefferson was battling Rochester JM every year for the Section 1 title (the Jags finally broke through in 1980, as I recall) and Edina-East playing Edina-West. It was awesome taking in two winner-take-all section finals between two arch-rivals under one roof on one Saturday afternoon.

--To the guy who mentioned the Johnson/Hill state tourney game in 1984: thanks for reminding me of that one. I'm not an east-sider, but anyone who knows the tradition of Minnesota hockey can only imagine the build up to this one. Johnson was the huge underdog but knocked off the Pioneers in the quarter-finals. And you're right about that save. I remember it well. I think the kid's name was Tim DuRose. Could be wrong.

--There's also three straight state title games in 77 through 79: Two went to overtime and the third was Rochester JM upsetting Edina-East to win their only championship.

Others since moving up north--and I've been lucky enough to attend most of these:

--Duluth Denfeld with Robb Stauber against Anoka at the DECC in the 86 section final. No Duluth team had been to state since 1975. Again, the fire marshal was out of town and the aisles were full. A 6-2 Hunters win gave them their first trip to state.

--1987 state semi-final between Greenway and Kennedy. The Raiders had Ken Gernander and Mr. Hockey Kris Miller, but Kennedy was too powerful, winning this night and again the next night for their only championship.

--1990 regular season: Roseau and Grand Rapids were 1 and 2 in the state and played at Roseau on a Friday night in February. Hanging from the rafters there, Rapids won it (4-3 as I recall). Exactly one month later to the day, each team won state semi-finals and met the next night for the title. This time the Rams and Dean Blais won it. But to be in a jam-packed classic northern Minnesota rink in February to see two traditional heavyweights was a thrill.

--1991: I wasn't there, but the section championship at the DECC between East and Cloquet when to overtime, with Rusty Fitzgerald scoring in OT, Randolph's first state tourney team and the first Greyhound team since '75. I'm told the crowd was bigger than the 86 Denfeld game.

--as others have said, Spehar's performance in 1995, and the East/Apple Valley game in 1996 were incredible.

I'm sure others will jog my memory. Looking forward to it!
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

Johnson/Hill-Murray in the section semis in 1992. Two teams ranked in the top 10 go back and forth until Chad Brennan wins it for Hill in the second OT. Both teams had a number of incredible chances to win it in OT. Still the best high school game I've ever seen in person (I watched Apple Valley/Duluth East on TV)

Hill-Murray/Minnetonka in the state semis in 2010. Tonka wins 2-1 in the fourth OT. Hill completely dominated the game in regulation and Tonka completely dominated in the OT periods. Six plus periods of intense action with no penalties in the game.

Eden Prairie/Duluth East in the 2011 title game. Another multiple OT game with the Eagles finally winning on a Kyle Rau goal.
WendyClark

Post by WendyClark »

My favs were the Burnsville Braves going back to back of Hill-Murray and getting to go for the 3-peat but losing to Kennedy in the 87 final

My worst for me is when Rusty Fitzgerald ax chopped a rebound from well over his shoulder in ot to give DE the semi-final win over the Burnsville Braves in 91.
blindref

Post by blindref »

A few of my favorites
Somehow talking my folks into letting me skip school in junior high to watch the State Tournament games at a buddies house,
The Halloween machine.
The old music videos the schools used to do.
George Pelawa's bone jarring checks.
Taking my family to the Tourney,
Rapids/Roseau final in 1990
Going to Warroad/Roseau game in Warroad and getting to meet Neal Broten and Glen Sonmor.
Clear boards
Terry Fogerty
Looking at all of the jerseys on the wall at the X
My oldest son's first varsity start as sophomore in a win over Roseau.
The same son, now a Senior captain, getting to play with his Freshman little brother as his defensive partner for parts of his Senior year.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

- little Mike A. & the Lawson bros of Greenway in the 60's; Edina vs Warroad & Henry B.; Scott Lecy leading RJM to the title in 1977; BJ going undefeated in the 90's; DE & Spehar ending BJ run in 1995, Spehar with Hattie's; attending EP vs DE OT final in 2011 &the DE vs Anoka final in 1998. Ben Hendricks walking the DE center and scoring from his knees with 16 seconds left in the Qtr final in 2003; sitting with my 5 yr old son in section 218 for the Anoka vs Roseville final in 2003 (that Anoka won)and watching him laugh with delight when the students section response to each opposition player announced for starting line-ups was "hey, hey, YOU S--K! Watching my oldest son score a Hattie for Anoka against Blaine as a soph; &. play in section finals in 07&08. Watching my youngest son (the 5 yr old from 2003) play for Anoka in the last games at the Coliseum in 2014.