Your favorite High School Hockey Moment

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Tron

Your favorite High School Hockey Moment

Post by Tron »

I'm new to the bored's (intentional spelling) and was curious if some of you would share your favorite HS Hockey moment. It could be you as a player, or a parent, or a fan.

After I got out of the grid and attended some hockey here in this state. I remember the game between Tonka and Hill-Murray in 2009/10? That went into triple overtime, didnt get out of the X until midnight or so. But it was such a great game.

The exciting thing that is so special about High School hockey is seeing kids who have laced em up since they were 4, and have proudly wore their cities colors since kindergarten, attending HS Hockey games themselves, get on the ice and have a shot to represent their city in front of thousands of people. Its such a unique and amazing thing to witness.
almostashappy

Re: Your favorite High School Hockey Moment

Post by almostashappy »

Favorite Tourney moment?

Seeing my kid's pupils widen beyond his eye sockets the first time he stepped out onto the ice in front of 18,000 fans. :shock:
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)
ShootNScore88

Post by ShootNScore88 »

As a fan, I have a lot of great memories of attending games with my dad. A packed Aldrich Arena or sitting in the balcony of the St Paul Auditorium. My favorite weekend of the year is still the State Tourney. I have seen a lot of great games and players over the years. Favorite game is the Apple Valley Duluth East game in 1996. A close 2nd would be a game in 1984 between St Paul Johnson and Hill-Murray. Civic Center was crazy that game with almost the entire arena cheering for Johnson. All of their fans dressed in Hawaiian shirts. One thing I liked better about the Civic Center was there was no separation between the upper deck and the lower bowl. Fans could run around the entire arena. Kids were sitting in the aisles. Place was rocking that game. Johnson goalie had probably the greatest save ever in the Tourney right after Hill pulled their goalie. Some players who stick out to me over the years are Ranheim, Olimb, Bloom, Zmolek, Langenbrunner, Crowley, Bonin, Kraft, and many more.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

Triple OT in 2011.
Buy ya a soda after the game!
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

Rau 3OT and Centennial three shutouts are up there.
LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

Burnsville vs G.R. Burnsville scores 3 in the final 3 minutes to tie. Half the fans had left, yet it was so loud with excitement I thought the roof would blow off.

2nd was walking up to the ticket booth ready to buy tix to the Centennial vs. Moorhead final. I had just moved to MN and couldn't understand why the ticket girl was insisting the game was sold out. I was insisting this was a HIGH SCHOOL GAME! No way could 18000 fans have bought tickets. I scalped ONE ticket (as I was alone) and got immersed in what MN hs hockey was all about. It was one part history lesson one part incredible sports entertainment. When the game was over I had tears in my eyes. It was a remarkable thing to witness.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

1995 Dave Spehar 3 hat tricks in 3 games plus scoring on a penalty shot and to cap it off with the State Championship.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Semi-final Saturday at the DECC in 2007. Early game was #1 Cloquet vs #4 Elk River. Tied at 1 with just over a minute left, Elk River is pressuring in the CEC zone, Cloquet gets possession and fires the puck to a wide open Tyler Johnson (who wasn't supposed to play due to an injury), he goes top shelf glove side and the CEC fans blow the roof off the place. 2nd game is Rapids/East, and Patrick White wins it in over time after receiving a beautiful back hand saucer pass from Zach Morse right at the goal mouth. My favorite White goal from his career was the one to tie it at 2 in the 2nd. Ben Lies was in good position as White came into the left circle and White hit a puck sized hole in the upper right corner.

State tourney favorite was the back and forth 7-4 win in 06 over Roseau.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

Walking into the Civic Center as a State tourney first timer in 1987 for the Greenway-Edina tilt. Seeing all the green around the arena and the pageantry of the players and cheerleaders on the ice during the national anthem brought tears to my eyes. This game was played as the Iron Range was being decimated by mine layoffs. During the game, Edina fans, noticing my Greenway hat, began ridiculing my cousin and I that at least they had jobs. All we did was point to the scoreboard. Witnessing the 8-3 destruction Greenway laid on the Hornets that night was pure joy.

Close seconds - Duluth East's dismantling of Richfield 5-1 in 1991 and ending the Jefferson dynasty 5-0 in 1995.
Last edited by mnmouth on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
boblee

Post by boblee »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Semi-final Saturday at the DECC in 2007. Early game was #1 Cloquet vs #4 Elk River. Tied at 1 with just over a minute left, Elk River is pressuring in the CEC zone, Cloquet gets possession and fires the puck to a wide open Tyler Johnson (who wasn't supposed to play due to an injury), he goes top shelf glove side and the CEC fans blow the roof off the place. 2nd game is Rapids/East, and Patrick White wins it in over time after receiving a beautiful back hand saucer pass from Zach Morse right at the goal mouth. My favorite White goal from his career was the one to tie it at 2 in the 2nd. Ben Lies was in good position as White came into the left circle and White hit a puck sized hole in the upper right corner.

State tourney favorite was the back and forth 7-4 win in 06 over Roseau.
Cloquet used the defensive zone faceoff to score the goal. They won the draw and board side wing skated to the close end of the bench and jumped in. Johnson jumped out the far side and was hit with a home run pass. Sweet play.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

The old Section V & VI games at the Met Center. A Thursday semi-final that was always a nice doubleheader and then the Saturday final doubleheader, usually featuring Jefferson vs. Kennedy followed by Edina-Minnetonka.
green4

Post by green4 »

I have four great experiences from many different ages.

Like someone said before, attending games with my dad was big. I was about 6 or 7 when I first remember going. I would ask questions as he would mark down who scored goals and who got penalties. We would watch two teams: St. Louis Park, where my brother played goalie and the Edina Hornets.
At the Rec center I got to hangout with my brother and his team after games, at Braemar I got to experience packed crowds while looking at the vast amount of pictures of former Hornets that hung over the west arena.

My brother eventually graduated and I went only to Edina games with my dad. In 5th and 6th grade I loved watching Matt Reber and Matt Leer play. They were both very talented. Leer played a game that was physical and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world, he was the toughest player I have ever seen play.
But, the difference from the 2006-2007 year and the years before came from the "fab five" sophomores. My friends were crazy about Budish, but Everson was my favorite. He shot the puck harder than anyone on that team. These were the guys who got me so interested in Edina hockey. My friends and I all worshiped them.
I still remember coming out of my game at Shakopee and seeing the TV with highlights of Grand Rapids and Patrick White beating them at State. I thought the Hornets would win it all that year.

After Lee, Budish and Everson graduated, plenty of Roster spots were up for grabs. I was only a freshman, but that was the first year kids who I had grown up and played with had made varsity. Edina was not suppose to do much that year, but they won it all. I was in the upper deck with my friends, none of us could believe it.
We went home that night and played street hockey until 2am pretending it was us out on that ice.

The last memory was a little bittersweet. When I was a senior I watched from the student section as the friends I had grown up and played with won state. It was something I wish I could have experienced, but at the same time I was extremely happy for them.
On the other hand as a fan, the atmosphere was ecstatic within the student section. I recall a late push by Hill-Murray that sent butterflies throughout my body. I counted down just like the rest of my peers as the time expired. Our emotion spilled out into the streets of St. Paul and followed us home where the whole high school celebrated in residential houses.

I am barely out of high school, so I am still hopeful for plenty more memories to come.
Last edited by green4 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
gitter

Post by gitter »

Where to begin....

My first State Tournament in 1988. The clear boards at the old Civic Center and the big white beams on the ceiling...great first memory. It has always been fond to me ever since. The 1996 AV v. DE game is the best game I think I've seen there in the 26 years I've been going. The sheer number of quality chances by both teams throughout the 5 overtimes was just incredible - there were moments of absolute river hockey, back and forth odd man rushes.

As a player in the early to mid 90's at Cloquet - one of the greatest experiences of my life....growing up playing varsity hockey with my buddies for 3 years..to this day still keep in touch with my old coaches...like a big family.
Mitch Hawker
Site Admin

Post by Mitch Hawker »

Sectional finals all day Saturday at Met Center. Some years there were 5 or 6 sectional final games in a row and the place was packed....there was a line at the door as they were only letting as many people in for later games as there were people leaving. Met Center was a great venue to watch a game, much better sight lines than the old Civic Center.

Also...1977 Rochester John Marshall, the high school version of the Miracle on Ice.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Ogie wrote:Triple OT in 2011.
Hockey Day 2013-2014 being in Elk River with my CEC Lumberjacks.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

1989 state championship game, Jags getting JM in OT 5-4. Thriller.
bubblehockey27

Post by bubblehockey27 »

Not my all-time favorite HS "hockey" memory, but a tourney related memory nevertheless...In 2008 when Hill-Murray won the tourney (I think it was '08, but I'm too lazy to fact check), I happened to witness one of the funniest things I've ever seen on live TV. Maybe some of you guys remember...

So after Hill scored a goal in the championship game, the TV camera started panning the crowd, showing the Hill student section celebrating. The camera then switched over to a close up of a male student and presumably his girlfriend. She was holding a sign up (it probably said "we gave up losing for lent" or something along those lines) but this kid saw a golden opportunity and went for it on live TV...As she was holding the sign over her head, this sly devil slowly turns and grabs a handful of sweater puppies. The looks on both of their faces were HILARIOUS. Guy had a " !#$@ eating" grin on his face as he probably realized 17,000 strong just saw him grab his GF's boob, while the girl went from surprised to shocked/embarrassed to mad.

Idk, I always thought it was so funny because you KNOW everyone is watching the tourney and that everyone saw it happen. I just like to imagine the girl's dad was sitting at home watching this unfold and becoming enraged. Kid had some balls of steel, but I'm sure he had some awkward conversations with family members afterwards.
"Virtual high five to chest bump" (MP)
GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome »

Each and every time Edina loses. A sudden zen-like serenity seems to engulf the state almost immediately thereafter.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

As a younger East fan, the 2011 State Tourney run wins easily. Those 3 straight overtimes were about as emotionally draining as it gets. The White Bear game was a back-and-forth thriller with great student turnout, and I don't think I've ever heard the X louder than it was when they beat Edina in overtime. Despite the way the Eden Prairie game ended, there was no sense of defeat after it. Too much pride.

Plenty of section games would make the list, too: East's upset of Cloquet in OT in 2005, and the stunners over Rapids in 2011 and Elk River last year. The East-Cloquet rivalry was at its height when I was at East (05-08), and the extent of the viciousness was unmatched by anything I've seen anywhere since. It all peaked in the David Brown game, an absolute thriller than I can appreciate in retrospect, and us East fans' collective misery after that one is pretty distinct, too.

I wasn't around for East's 90s games, but Spehar's hat tricks and the Richfield game certainly would make the list. And, of course, the Apple Valley game is in a league of its own. It still lives up to the hype, even when watching it 20 years later.

Some of my favorite memories aren't directly from the events on the ice, though. One of my favorites was after Minnetonka beat Hill in 4 OTs in 2010, when walking out of the X and down toward Rice Park...it was snowing, and the Tonka students were just running through the streets, yelling and screaming, and the whole atmosphere just seemed like something out of a fairy tale. The moment when kids meet their parents after winning it all is worth seeing, too. It isn't a happy memory, but the raw emotion out of Jake Randolph in the press conference and the hallways of the X after the Lakeville South game will forever be seared in my mind's eye. And, of course, there are the impromptu reunions in the stands at State, the visits to the bars between sessions--the Tourney is just a four-day high.

Six more weeks...
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Only in chronological order and leaving several dozen out:

The first one that comes to mind is watching (on a black and white TV) the Broncos beat the Rams (formerly the green wave) 4 to 0 for the state championship.

The second would be watching my best friend (still) Jim Knapp lift the state championship trophy over his head.

Third, watching my nephew step on the ice versus Burnsville during the first game of the state tourney.

Fourth watching my son skating on the outdoor rink with stick in hand as a pre-school kid. Then scoring his first goal in peewees. (The worst memory: seeing him go down with a broken collar-bone ending his hockey career.)
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

elliott70 wrote:Only in chronological order and leaving several dozen out:

The first one that comes to mind is watching (on a black and white TV) the Broncos beat the Rams (formerly the green wave) 4 to 0 for the state championship . . .

Fourth watching my son skating on the outdoor rink with stick in hand as a pre-school kid. Then scoring his first goal in peewees. (The worst memory: seeing him go down with a broken collar-bone ending his hockey career.)
My old man bought a color TV in 1968 specifically to watch Greenway win the title . . . and they did. In 1970, Doug Long broke his heart and it took him years to recover.

Hearing about your kid - that's tough man, cuz the end is the end.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

mnmouth wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Only in chronological order and leaving several dozen out:

The first one that comes to mind is watching (on a black and white TV) the Broncos beat the Rams (formerly the green wave) 4 to 0 for the state championship . . .

My old man bought a color TV in 1968 specifically to watch Greenway win the title . . . and they did. In 1970, Doug Long broke his heart and it took him years to recover.

Hearing about your kid - that's tough man, cuz the end is the end.
Yup, but I have had worse...

Good 'ol Mike Anotonovich...
Pat DeMarchi would still like to throttle his butt all these years later.
Where is F3?

Post by Where is F3? »

Favorite recent tournament game- Warroads double OT thriller over Totino-Grace in 2005. Both goalies were lights out during both OTs (several deflection and breakaway saves) and it took a phenomenal play off the faceoff by Oshie and Marvin to end it.
elliott70

Re: Your favorite High School Hockey Moment

Post by elliott70 »

Tron wrote:I'm new
Are you sure you are
New tron??
Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 »

Definitely the 2011 section final between the Bears and Hill Murray. I remember being a sophomore in the student section and we had so many kids that we squeezed 3 kids per row. 2 standing on the concrete and 1 standing on the seat. It was an unreal atmosphere. Man that game was hard on the heart. Birkinbine scores right away to give the Bears a 1-0 lead, I was in shock. Then there was the unbelievable comeback in the 3rd by Hill, I remember kids being like "oh we got this" but me and a couple buddies who paid really close attention to high school hockey knew the game wasn't over. White Bear native Kevin Schulze ties the game up for HM to send the game to OT. From then on and until Mac Jansen scored the game winning goal in double OT, I felt like I was gonna throw up. I still don't know how Ben Bahe missed that wide open net in the 1st OT that would have sent HM to state but thanks Ben! I'll never forget when my friend Luke jumped from the row behind me, onto another friend of mine after Mac scored the game winner, breaking his iPod, it was an incredible night and atmosphere. It really sucks that sections won't be played at the coliseum anymore.