42%
The Pioneers Time
58%

Total votes: 31

ZachHalverson

The Rivalry: Hill-Murray vs. White Bear Lake | 1/31 - 7:15

Post by ZachHalverson » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:45 am

I JUST CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER GUYS!

The Bears host the Pioneers in what will for sure be an ice hockey game. As many of you know, there's a bit of a rivalry that has formed between these two teams in the last few years, and attendance at these games has grown to the point where special ticket procedures are in place.

Because this is White Bear Lake's year to host it, the Vadnais Sports Center—widely known as the Greatest Arena in the World—will be the site where these two teams will face-off. The arena is plenty big to host an average high school hockey game, however when Hill-Murray comes to town, a lot more people like to show up for some reason. I have no idea why.

FYI, the ticket-sales procedures is as follows:
Friday 1/30: 2:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday 1/31: 2:00 p.m. - until sold out.
1200 total tickets will be sold, 1000 for seating & 200 for standing room only
Doors will open an hour before the JV game starts

I can't wait to see how they fit 1200 people in this place! Parking, getting a ticket, getting into the arena, finding a seat, not going to the bathroom because you don't want to go through the crowd of people and risk losing your spot, watching the game in much closer quarters with the strangers next to you, trying to see the other end of the ice through the benches which are inexplicably positioned on the main grandstand side of the ice, and then leaving the place after all of that will suck, but you will probably go anyway. If you don't, you can watch the game on http://TheHornWBL.com.

Also, I get to broadcast this thing without a press box, so yeah it is going to really blow for me to. I just hope that the game is entertaining and that no one gets trampled.

Hill-Murray lost to Mahtomedi the other night, so they are not the machine of years past. The Bears are very inconsistent, but when they are on they can skate with the best teams in the state, as evidenced by their 1-goal loss to Edina. WHAT WILL HAPPEN?! I have no clue. I guess we'll all just have to find out.

gitter

Post by gitter » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:05 am

Excuse my ignorance as I'm sure this has been covered eons ago on this forum - but I'm just too lazy to go search.

Didn't WBL used to play their home games at Aldrich? Why on earth did they decide to leave that rink? Were they pissed they had to share it with Hill? Were they pissed because Hill was pissed they had to share it with WBL? Did the number of youth team double since the 90's - 2000's and they ran out of room?

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:36 am

gitter wrote:Excuse my ignorance as I'm sure this has been covered eons ago on this forum - but I'm just too lazy to go search.

Didn't WBL used to play their home games at Aldrich? Why on earth did they decide to leave that rink? Were they pissed they had to share it with Hill? Were they pissed because Hill was pissed they had to share it with WBL? Did the number of youth team double since the 90's - 2000's and they ran out of room?
Yes, the home games for the High School were played at Aldrich. But the youth association had problems finding ice when the girls program started and grew. WBL youth teams were driving all over the place to get practice ice including Phalen, Oscar Johnson, West St. Paul, etc. They have been wanting to add ice for years, and finally got it passed with the development of the Vadnais Heights Sports complex. So instead of playing games at Aldrich and getting no revenue, they can now play at Vadnais and get a little revenue with less costs. BUT, the arena seating is much smaller with worse site lines.

kniven

Re: The Rivalry: Hill-Murray vs. White Bear Lake | 1/31 - 7:

Post by kniven » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:15 pm

ZachHalverson wrote:I JUST CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER GUYS!

The Bears host the Pioneers in what will for sure be an ice hockey game. As many of you know, there's a bit of a rivalry that has formed between these two teams in the last few years, and attendance at these games has grown to the point where special ticket procedures are in place.

Because this is White Bear Lake's year to host it, the Vadnais Sports Center—widely known as the Greatest Arena in the World—will be the site where these two teams will face-off. The arena is plenty big to host an average high school hockey game, however when Hill-Murray comes to town, a lot more people like to show up for some reason. I have no idea why.

FYI, the ticket-sales procedures is as follows:
Friday 1/30: 2:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday 1/31: 2:00 p.m. - until sold out.
1200 total tickets will be sold, 1000 for seating & 200 for standing room only
Doors will open an hour before the JV game starts

I can't wait to see how they fit 1200 people in this place! Parking, getting a ticket, getting into the arena, finding a seat, not going to the bathroom because you don't want to go through the crowd of people and risk losing your spot, watching the game in much closer quarters with the strangers next to you, trying to see the other end of the ice through the benches which are inexplicably positioned on the main grandstand side of the ice, and then leaving the place after all of that will suck, but you will probably go anyway. If you don't, you can watch the game on http://TheHornWBL.com.

Also, I get to broadcast this thing without a press box, so yeah it is going to really blow for me to. I just hope that the game is entertaining and that no one gets trampled.

Hill-Murray lost to Mahtomedi the other night, so they are not the machine of years past. The Bears are very inconsistent, but when they are on they can skate with the best teams in the state, as evidenced by their 1-goal loss to Edina. WHAT WILL HAPPEN?! I have no clue. I guess we'll all just have to find out.
Well I'm a huge high school hockey fan up here in Cloquet/Esko/Carlton. I think this rivalry between the Bears and Pioneers is awesome! I will definitely be watching on the Internet.

TheInsider

Post by TheInsider » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Out of curiosity, how many Hill Murray players are White Bear Lake kids?

IGotDibs

Da Bears

Post by IGotDibs » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:43 pm

Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears are going to roll those little private girls. 6 rip

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:44 pm

The Pioneers are soft as a warm tootsie roll.

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:01 pm

TheInsider wrote:Out of curiosity, how many Hill Murray players are White Bear Lake kids?
Davis Zarembinski

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:08 pm

Should be a great game. Ill go with Hill 4-3

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Bears 3-1

HockeyWatcher10

Post by HockeyWatcher10 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:41 pm

I'll take Hill Murray 5-2. Hill always dominates the first meeting of these two teams, but then when sections comes around it is always a nail biter. I think White Bear will beat hill when it comes to sections time, but they are too inconsistent as of now for them to win the first match up. Should be a fun game to watch if you can find a decent seat in that terrible Vadnais rink. I'll unfortunately be stuck listening to the terrible commentators that do TheHornWBL.com.

Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Is there anywhere I can see the youth program for all of Hill's roster? Wondering what the mix looks like these days.

Just Checking

Post by Just Checking » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:33 am

Bonin2121 wrote:Is there anywhere I can see the youth program for all of Hill's roster? Wondering what the mix looks like these days.
Not sure bout that but I know a few.

Davis Z. -WBL
M Anderson. Roseville.
Ranallo. MView
Z Mills and. Bro. CG

stpaul

HM - WBL

Post by stpaul » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:58 am

Hill-Murray 18-1*

*HM's record vs. WBL since 2006. Not a score prediction.

Just for fun math: Add together WBL's record vs. HM since 2006 and their all time record in State Quarterfinal games. Answer: 1-36.
Last edited by stpaul on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stpaul

Re: HM - WBL

Post by stpaul » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:01 pm

stpaul wrote:Hill-Murray 18-1*

*HM's record vs. WBL since 2006. Not a score prediction.

Just for fun math: Add together WBL's record vs. HM since 2006 and their all time record in State Quarterfinal games. Answer: 1-36.
In all seriousness, this year's HM and WBL teams are as evenly matched as they have been in 10 years. This one and a probable section final are a tossup. It will be a fun game. It will also be a feisty one. Mark down WBL's Anderson and HM's Olson & Zarembinski for at least one stupid penalty for each. The power play will be a factor. Hope I can get a seat. They should always schedule this one at Aldrich.
Last edited by stpaul on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:38 pm

this is a huge game.

winner will get the #1 seed and avoid a capable Stillwater in Semis and get a total nobody instead.....that is something...

(granted stillwater beat both last year anyway).

this is a huge game....

ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:25 pm

FYI, just 72 tickets remain for this game. Ticket sales will resume at 2:00 p.m. at the Vadnais Sports Center and will go until it is sold out. It will be interesting to see how early people get down there to not only get tickets, but to get a good seat.

You can also skip the mess by watching it on http://TheHornWBL.com

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:11 pm

ZachHalverson wrote:FYI, just 72 tickets remain for this game. Ticket sales will resume at 2:00 p.m. at the Vadnais Sports Center and will go until it is sold out. It will be interesting to see how early people get down there to not only get tickets, but to get a good seat.

You can also skip the mess by watching it on http://TheHornWBL.com
Going to camp out. Who's with me? I'll be the guy handing out cigars in my green tent.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:20 pm

Really 72 tickets left? That is crazy. What is game time ? Have a two hour drive to get there. Should I really get there by. 200 ?

ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:28 pm

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:Really 72 tickets left? That is crazy. What is game time ? Have a two hour drive to get there. Should I really get there by. 200 ?
\

You should get there well before 2:00 if you even want a chance at a ticket. I would recommend 9:00 AM, possibly earlier. The line started well before the start of ticket sales at 2:00 PM today, so I can't imagine how early people will get there tomorrow morning.

slacsap

Post by slacsap » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:41 am

The whole situation would be a lot better if White Bear had an arena with a decent number of seats and if more than maybe 100 pf teh seats had decent sightlines. This game should be at Aldrich every year.

hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:22 am

hmm??? not sure on this info.

i went up there at 6:00 pm yesterday night. there was no body in line, ticket sales lady very cute nice gal did not seem stressed, the roll of tickets were sitting out on the counter, for students and adults was both were HUGE

(I will not reveal the color as we dont want fakes). not saying its impossible that 500+ people took tickets last night after 6pm but it sure did not feel that way at 6pm yesterday. could not have been easier to get a ticket.

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:40 am

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:hmm??? not sure on this info.

i went up there at 6:00 pm yesterday night. there was no body in line, ticket sales lady very cute nice gal did not seem stressed, the roll of tickets were sitting out on the counter, for students and adults was both were HUGE

(I will not reveal the color as we dont want fakes). not saying its impossible that 500+ people took tickets last night after 6pm but it sure did not feel that way at 6pm yesterday. could not have been easier to get a ticket.
Yep you're the one who is right and the arena worker who was updating Zach all night on ticket sales was lying. Doh Kay

Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:43 am

lol Can you imagine fake tickets being made for a Minnesota high school hockey game. Regular season no less, not even State tourney. Should I expect the regular crew of scalpers outside that I see outside of every other major event in the Twin Cities?

With all the premium games going on today (this, EP @ Zata, DE @ ER) I'm glad my decision is made easy to avoid this building, as much as it pains me to miss this matchup. What a cluster blank Vadnais is. Even though the venue may be different, is this just a preview of what we should expect for section 4AA playoffs this year? Or 5AA, or whatever these guys are in. I remember them as 3AA, myself...

ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:08 pm

Tickets are sold out. See the rest of you online via http://TheHornWBL.com