Tier 1 now in MN

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Tier 1 now in MN

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:42 pm

Minnesota Hockey mews release
"Minnesota Hockey Adopts Resolution for Tier 1 Hockey

St. Paul, MN – January 27, 2015 – The Minnesota Hockey Board of Directors has passed a resolution to adopt a framework and definition of Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota. Beginning with the 2015-16 season, Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota will be administered by Minnesota Hockey, and teams will be organized and run by Minnesota Hockey as an extension of the Minnesota Hockey High Performance programs.

Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota will be limited to the following age classifications for which USA Hockey conducts National Championships: 14U Youth/Girls, 16U Youth/Girls, 18U Youth and 19U Girls. The framework allows for eight teams made up entirely of Minnesota players and/or students with the teams being formed based on geography. The teams will compete in late summer and fall, prior to the start of the Minnesota Hockey and Minnesota State High School League seasons, after which the players would return to their associations or high school teams. The top team to come out of playdowns in the fall will come together in the spring to compete to play for a USA Hockey National Championship.

“The opportunity for Minnesota players to tryout out for and potentially compete for a USA Hockey National Championship is exciting” said Dave Margenau, President of Minnesota Hockey. “The Tier 1 structure that was approved compliments and enhances our highly successful community based model”

Minnesota Hockey’s Tier 1 proposal was presented at USA Hockey’s winter meeting on Saturday, January 17. The USA Hockey Youth Council voted unanimously to support the Tier 1 framework in Minnesota.

“This new Tier 1 resolution adopted by Minnesota Hockey is great news for hockey in the United States,” said USA Hockey Youth Council chair, Dave Klasnick. “Many of the country’s best youth and girls hockey players reside in the State of Hockey, and this framework will allow for some of those players to be showcased at our National Championships. We are fully supportive of this initiative taken by Minnesota Hockey and thrilled that it will allow all players the opportunity to compete.”

In September of 2014, Minnesota Hockey designated a committee to explore and define Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota. The findings and recommendation of the committee were voted on and approved by the Minnesota Hockey board on Sunday, January 25, 2015.

As part of the proposal, provisions will be made for in-season Tier 1 hockey to be allowed for Minnesota’s established legacy programs: Shattuck St. Mary’s and Thoroughbreds girls’ hockey.

Further details regarding teams, scheduling and oversight will be announced at a later date.

Glen Andresen | Executive Director, Minnesota Hockey"

bemused

Re: Tier 1 now in MN

Post by bemused » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:54 pm

elliott70 wrote:Minnesota Hockey mews release
"Minnesota Hockey Adopts Resolution for Tier 1 Hockey

St. Paul, MN – January 27, 2015 – The Minnesota Hockey Board of Directors has passed a resolution to adopt a framework and definition of Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota. Beginning with the 2015-16 season, Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota will be administered by Minnesota Hockey, and teams will be organized and run by Minnesota Hockey as an extension of the Minnesota Hockey High Performance programs.

Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota will be limited to the following age classifications for which USA Hockey conducts National Championships: 14U Youth/Girls, 16U Youth/Girls, 18U Youth and 19U Girls. The framework allows for eight teams made up entirely of Minnesota players and/or students with the teams being formed based on geography. The teams will compete in late summer and fall, prior to the start of the Minnesota Hockey and Minnesota State High School League seasons, after which the players would return to their associations or high school teams. The top team to come out of playdowns in the fall will come together in the spring to compete to play for a USA Hockey National Championship.

“The opportunity for Minnesota players to tryout out for and potentially compete for a USA Hockey National Championship is exciting” said Dave Margenau, President of Minnesota Hockey. “The Tier 1 structure that was approved compliments and enhances our highly successful community based model”

Minnesota Hockey’s Tier 1 proposal was presented at USA Hockey’s winter meeting on Saturday, January 17. The USA Hockey Youth Council voted unanimously to support the Tier 1 framework in Minnesota.

“This new Tier 1 resolution adopted by Minnesota Hockey is great news for hockey in the United States,” said USA Hockey Youth Council chair, Dave Klasnick. “Many of the country’s best youth and girls hockey players reside in the State of Hockey, and this framework will allow for some of those players to be showcased at our National Championships. We are fully supportive of this initiative taken by Minnesota Hockey and thrilled that it will allow all players the opportunity to compete.”

In September of 2014, Minnesota Hockey designated a committee to explore and define Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota. The findings and recommendation of the committee were voted on and approved by the Minnesota Hockey board on Sunday, January 25, 2015.

As part of the proposal, provisions will be made for in-season Tier 1 hockey to be allowed for Minnesota’s established legacy programs: Shattuck St. Mary’s and Thoroughbreds girls’ hockey.

Further details regarding teams, scheduling and oversight will be announced at a later date.

Glen Andresen | Executive Director, Minnesota Hockey"

I believe the current plan calls for U16 and maybe U18. Lot's of
ramifications for high school with Elite League and U16, U18 Blades etc. Wonder what this means for Mr. Russo's stranglehold on fall hockey in Minnesota?

Devil will be in the details but it will be interesting to watch the wrangling between Mn Hockey and the MSHSL. My
money is on MN Hockey..

I like the plan.. we'll see how it plays out..

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:11 pm

MNH isn't perfect, of course, but I like the concept here. Keeping "elite" hockey under one quasi-public umbrella (as opposed to the messiness of private-monopoly Elite League + private-competitive summer + a MNH-run Advanced process, etc.) is a lot cleaner and more logical, and at the same time respects the existing youth/high school leagues. It has a lot of potential, and can provide an answer to a number of critiques of the existing system.

Now let's see how the execution goes.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:20 pm

The wording says only girls tier one correct? If so how long before a boys programs start?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:23 pm

karl(east) wrote:MNH isn't perfect, of course, but I like the concept here. Keeping "elite" hockey under one quasi-public umbrella (as opposed to the messiness of private-monopoly Elite League + private-competitive summer + a MNH-run Advanced process, etc.) is a lot cleaner and more logical, and at the same time respects the existing youth/high school leagues. It has a lot of potential, and can provide an answer to a number of critiques of the existing system.

That is where it is at and we had a lengthy conversation regarding that on Saturday in Golden Valley(/) (Mariott off 394-169).

I stressed a few things that needed to be done - primary one is that evaluators need to be as unbiased as possible and their system as transparent as possible.
Second, MH needs to help subsidize so that all that are good enough can play - that they are not limited by Dad's lack of income.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:25 pm

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:The wording says only girls tier one correct? If so how long before a boys programs start?
No, a youth program will begin as soon as possible, probably Fall of 2016 for 14U.
Possibly Fall of 2015 for 16U youth & 18U youth.

GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:28 pm

elliott70 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:MNH isn't perfect, of course, but I like the concept here. Keeping "elite" hockey under one quasi-public umbrella (as opposed to the messiness of private-monopoly Elite League + private-competitive summer + a MNH-run Advanced process, etc.) is a lot cleaner and more logical, and at the same time respects the existing youth/high school leagues. It has a lot of potential, and can provide an answer to a number of critiques of the existing system.

That is where it is at and we had a lengthy conversation regarding that on Saturday in Golden Valley(/) (Mariott off 394-169).

I stressed a few things that needed to be done - primary one is that evaluators need to be as unbiased as possible and their system as transparent as possible.
Second, MH needs to help subsidize so that all that are good enough can play - that they are not limited by Dad's lack of income.
And where will MH get the money? Presumably, from its membership. Why should the rest of us help pay for it?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:34 pm

GoBigorGoHome wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

And where will MH get the money? Presumably, from its membership. Why should the rest of us help pay for it?
No. There was also a lengthy discussion regarding revenue sources and what to do with them. Part of that discussion was returning money to local associations, reducing future player registration fees, AND helping with both elite groups and rec players. There were a lot of exciting things being discussed with lots of options/potentials.

I would never present or support using membership fees for this. As a matter of record I was the dissenting vote when the fee went fro $7 to $10. And the MH member that spoke at length and in opposition to the president of USAH about their fees and possible increases.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:52 pm

GoBigorGoHome wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

I'd rather pay for this than the NTDP in Ann Arbor. At least I can actually see who this is helping and it goes to support something local and for the state. Plus if it helps to stem the tide of kids leaving high school, money well spent.

JSR

Post by JSR » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:59 pm

So basically they took my idea of using the Elite High School league only kept it in house instead of that league but same exact concept, and expanded it to include U14s (which I also recommended based on the new Elite Bantam League and again same concept) and are going to do B&A programs that I suggested.... I laid it out in detail here and also submitted to LPH around the same time http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32787 .... it's a great idea, glad I thought of it... :idea: :wink:

One small thing in the communication above though that needs to be resolved (mainly for U14 aged players):

The teams will compete in late summer and fall, prior to the start of the Minnesota Hockey and Minnesota State High School League seasons, after which the players would return to their associations or high school teams.

The high school players can go back and play for their high schools but the association kids cannot go back in the winter and play association hockey. The reason is that you cannot be rostered on both a Tier 1 national tourney bound team AND a Tier 2 team simultaneously in the same season. That is a USA Hockey rule and it applies to all B&A teams nationally. Since all associations are registered as Tier 2 teams playing Bantams for your association in the winter and this team in the B&A is not an option. Going back and playing high school is an option because High Schools are not USA Hockey programs. Otherwise great program, great idea....

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:49 am

JSR wrote: One small thing in the communication above though that needs to be resolved (mainly for U14 aged players):

The teams will compete in late summer and fall, prior to the start of the Minnesota Hockey and Minnesota State High School League seasons, after which the players would return to their associations or high school teams.

The high school players can go back and play for their high schools but the association kids cannot go back in the winter and play association hockey. The reason is that you cannot be rostered on both a Tier 1 national tourney bound team AND a Tier 2 team simultaneously in the same season. That is a USA Hockey rule and it applies to all B&A teams nationally. Since all associations are registered as Tier 2 teams playing Bantams for your association in the winter and this team in the B&A is not an option. Going back and playing high school is an option because High Schools are not USA Hockey programs. Otherwise great program, great idea....
No, the 14U players will be able to go back to their local assns.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:00 am

Sounds like the MN Tier 1 teams' seasons would end at the end of September - no season, no team, no roster. Then, effectively, another season would begin in March. I'm sure there'll be rules about not practicing together during the hiatus, etc.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:02 am

InigoMontoya wrote:Sounds like the MN Tier 1 teams' seasons would end at the end of September - no season, no team, no roster. Then, effectively, another season would begin in March. I'm sure there'll be rules about not practicing together during the hiatus, etc.
Right

Tenoverpar

r

Post by Tenoverpar » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:17 am

applaud Minnesota Hockey for taking a big step in the future of the state's development system.

Can't wait to read about the kid on the fall U14 Edina Stingers team from Burnsville who's parents suddenly move to a nice 2 bedroom,700 SF in Edina on October 10th...will make an epic discussion amongst the faithful

Mouse in the corner

Post by Mouse in the corner » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:22 am

I like the idea and hope that it will be a little bit more, ahhh, well, honest shall we say than the elite league is but maybe I am just a little too cynical when it comes to stuff like this. I think it will basically turn into a money grab like the "elite" league did and will either go away or will result in AAA teams going year around here.

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:25 am

JSR wrote:So basically they took my idea of using the Elite High School league only kept it in house instead of that league but same exact concept, and expanded it to include U14s (which I also recommended based on the new Elite Bantam League and again same concept) and are going to do B&A programs that I suggested.... I laid it out in detail here and also submitted to LPH around the same time http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32787 .... it's a great idea, glad I thought of it... :idea: :wink:

One small thing in the communication above though that needs to be resolved (mainly for U14 aged players):

Does this new system mean Minnesota can field multiple Tier 1 teams? If so will HS Elite have a Tier 1 team?

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:47 am

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
JSR wrote:So basically they took my idea of using the Elite High School league only kept it in house instead of that league but same exact concept, and expanded it to include U14s (which I also recommended based on the new Elite Bantam League and again same concept) and are going to do B&A programs that I suggested.... I laid it out in detail here and also submitted to LPH around the same time http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32787 .... it's a great idea, glad I thought of it... :idea: :wink:

Does this new system mean Minnesota can field multiple Tier 1 teams? If so will HS Elite have a Tier 1 team?
The press release is the first post on this thread, it's all spelled out pretty clearly.

elliott70

Re: r

Post by elliott70 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:09 pm

Tenoverpar wrote:applaud Minnesota Hockey for taking a big step in the future of the state's development system.

Can't wait to read about the kid on the fall U14 Edina Stingers team from Burnsville who's parents suddenly move to a nice 2 bedroom,700 SF in Edina on October 10th...will make an epic discussion amongst the faithful
Burnsville and Edina are both in District 6 so need to move.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:30 pm

CLARIFICATION

this is how it is to work as of right now. Details are still being worked on but this is what has been proposed:

Everything will be under MH (no private tier 1 teams)
14U will be by district with certain districts combining (ex. 15 & 16 combined).
There will be 8 tier 1 teams (plus Shattuck). They will play in the late summer/fall with a play-off to determine the winner. The winner will come back in the spring to play Shattuck to send a team to Nationals.

16U & 18U will be by high school sections per the HP program. 8 teams at each level with a fall play-off and winner playing in the spring against Shattuck.

(Something similar on the girls side of it.)

It was brought up that fair and transparent evaluations need to be done in selecting teams. HP is not always perceived as having this.

A lot of details still to be worked out.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:38 pm

elliott70 wrote:CLARIFICATION

this is how it is to work as of right now. Details are still being worked on but this is what has been proposed:

14U will be by district with certain districts combining (ex. 15 & 16 combined).
There will be 8 tier 1 teams (plus Shattuck). They will play in the late summer/fall with a play-off to determine the winner. The winner will come back in the spring to play Shattuck to send a team to Nationals.

16U & 18U will be by high school sections per the HP program. 8 teams at each level with a fall play-off and winner playing in the spring against Shattuck.

It was brought up that fair and transparent evaluations need to be done in selecting teams. HP is not always perceived as having this.

This is basically a HS Elite League killer, right? Any reason why MH couldn't snipe HS Elite Leagues current sponsors to cover some of the costs of this initiative?

JSR

Post by JSR » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:49 pm

InigoMontoya wrote:Sounds like the MN Tier 1 teams' seasons would end at the end of September - no season, no team, no roster. Then, effectively, another season would begin in March. I'm sure there'll be rules about not practicing together during the hiatus, etc.
Sorry brother but you are wrong here.... See the rosters for the national team are due December 31st and you cannot make changes to it after that date and you cannot be double rostered at that point. See technically you could skirt this rule for all the players on the teams that do not advance out of the fall playoffs you proposed because they can "transfer" back to Tier 2 before the December 31st roster cutoff, its kind of taking adavantage of a loophole that was never intended but it can be done. However, the team that advances from the fall playoff and intends to take on Schattuck in the spring District playoff and potentially advances to nationals, yea the players on that team WILL NOT have the option of playing association hockey as they CANNOT be rostered on a Tier 2 team (ie association team) and the Tier 1 team that intends to go to nationals simultaneaously. Can't happen. They can play for their high school though so atleast they have an option and I am sure those players will "have a spot" on their high school teams.... Elliot your a smart guy with a lot of insight but we've had B&A down here in WI for a LONG time and this rule I know by heart and it's definitive as it currently stands (though we all know things change). The roster you are on when rosters are due for submission on December 31st is the team roster that are part of, no if's and's or but's about it with how it is worded currently.... Just like our 8th graders down here that tryout for and play for Team Wisconsin, they CANNOT go back and play winter Tier 2 association hockey, they cannot go to another Tier 1 AAA club, and for us they can't even play high school because here 8th graders cannot play high school hockey like you can in MN, hence why it is soooo very rare for an 8th grader to play TW even if they are good enough, they don't want to give up playing in the winter even for that usually.... this one I am 100% sure of my friend.
Last edited by JSR on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

observer

Post by observer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:52 pm

Thanks Elliott.

Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:06 pm

How many game series vs. Shattuck? Before this Shattuck got an auto bid to Nationals? How does Bauer Emerson get to Nationals?

I don't follow Tier 1 stuff much.

Dangler82

Post by Dangler82 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:06 pm

[quote="elliott70"][size=18][u]CLARIFICATION[/u][/size]

A lot of details still to be worked out.[/quote]

This question may have already been answered, but.

Will the teams be formed based on birth year, or MN Hockey age cut-offs?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:24 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
elliott70 wrote:CLARIFICATION

This is basically a HS Elite League killer, right? Any reason why MH couldn't snipe HS Elite Leagues current sponsors to cover some of the costs of this initiative?
It has yet to be determined but, yes, it appears the elite league and the tier 1 may come in conflict. Sponsorship money under Glen Andressen (MH ex dir) is way up and going up. To address the elite league question right now would be a little premature.