MN Hockey Hub: Curt Giles

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

green4

Post by green4 »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
green4 wrote:Giles has done a great job working with the youth and being an important part of their development. In my eyes it is not a coincidence that Edina started going to state again once those kids that were mites and squirts in 1999 and 2000 became Varsity players.
I'm curious as to why this viewpoint has any traction. Giles really has nothing to do with the youth program that I can see. He might come and watch a Bantam AA game once in a while, and he holds a summer clinic, but other than that he has little to no involvement in the youth program. His assistant also coaches on the Bantam AA staff and coached B1 for a number of years. Maybe that's the only connection they need, but Giles is a recluse.
He really is not a "recluse" at all. He is at the rink a lot of his time and will constantly talk to parents, kids and staff of the arena.
He has a summer program for squirts through high school(Maybe not bantams), but he also has a fall program for mites and squirts. That seems like more than enough since the rest of their time will be spent on their individual teams throughout the winter. The clinics are just the beginning, though. This allows him to get to know you as a person and a player. As he gets to know you more and more he will learn what you are capable of and make sure you work as hard as you can if you are devoted to it. If you read the article it talks about the down years of Edina having players who did not work hard and did not play up to their potential. You can no longer say that about Edina players and I believe that has to do with Giles.
Also, I think you undermined the fact that Curt knows these players at a young age. As a squirt it was a huge deal to me that Giles knew my name. I thought of the players and Giles as celebrities and the fact that he knew my name was huge.

If you have ever read Blades of Glory there is a chapter that talks about Saterdalen and the youth program. There is a lot of similarities between the way he and Giles participated in the youth programs. In the chapter they also talk about how the first time Sats goes to state was with the first group of kids who started in squirts when he started as High school coach.
gitter

Post by gitter »

green4 wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote:
green4 wrote:Giles has done a great job working with the youth and being an important part of their development. In my eyes it is not a coincidence that Edina started going to state again once those kids that were mites and squirts in 1999 and 2000 became Varsity players.
I'm curious as to why this viewpoint has any traction. Giles really has nothing to do with the youth program that I can see. He might come and watch a Bantam AA game once in a while, and he holds a summer clinic, but other than that he has little to no involvement in the youth program. His assistant also coaches on the Bantam AA staff and coached B1 for a number of years. Maybe that's the only connection they need, but Giles is a recluse.
He really is not a "recluse" at all. He is at the rink a lot of his time and will constantly talk to parents, kids and staff of the arena.
He has a summer program for squirts through high school(Maybe not bantams), but he also has a fall program for mites and squirts. That seems like more than enough since the rest of their time will be spent on their individual teams throughout the winter. The clinics are just the beginning, though. This allows him to get to know you as a person and a player. As he gets to know you more and more he will learn what you are capable of and make sure you work as hard as you can if you are devoted to it. If you read the article it talks about the down years of Edina having players who did not work hard and did not play up to their potential. You can no longer say that about Edina players and I believe that has to do with Giles.
Also, I think you undermined the fact that Curt knows these players at a young age. As a squirt it was a huge deal to me that Giles knew my name. I thought of the players and Giles as celebrities and the fact that he knew my name was huge.

If you have ever read Blades of Glory there is a chapter that talks about Saterdalen and the youth program. There is a lot of similarities between the way he and Giles participated in the youth programs. In the chapter they also talk about how the first time Sats goes to state was with the first group of kids who started in squirts when he started as High school coach.
Well I can say a nephew of mine, who never played above the B level in peewees or bantams, would see Giles at the rink, and Giles knew his name and would compliment him on how hard he was working...even though there was no chance he would ever suit up a game of varsity in the future. That tells me something of Giles' character.
peterthepuck

Post by peterthepuck »

gitter wrote:
green4 wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote: I'm curious as to why this viewpoint has any traction. Giles really has nothing to do with the youth program that I can see. He might come and watch a Bantam AA game once in a while, and he holds a summer clinic, but other than that he has little to no involvement in the youth program. His assistant also coaches on the Bantam AA staff and coached B1 for a number of years. Maybe that's the only connection they need, but Giles is a recluse.

Well I can say a nephew of mine, who never played above the B level in peewees or bantams, would see Giles at the rink, and Giles knew his name and would compliment him on how hard he was working...even though there was no chance he would ever suit up a game of varsity in the future. That tells me something of Giles' character.
Giles is a great coach and he does it his way. And this is the same coach who gets ripped on in the paper as only being able to coach since he has a large feeder program? Classless comment by a classless individual.
Rich Clarke

Post by Rich Clarke »

I agree with what's been said above except for the comment on how it's "hard not to succeed" with Edina's numbers (or perhaps more relevant, Edina's depth of talent) . People forget that as recently as 2012, Edina wasn't on many people's radar screens as a state championship favorite. They were a surprise in 2010, and the third seed in 2013. The truth is that there's a huge amount of pressure to succeed when you have the talent that teams Like Duluth East, Holy Angels, Moorhead (particularly in the 1990s and 2005 and 2007), Hill Murray, and Wayzata have frequently had. Giles has won three state titles where two of the years the Hornets were underdogs. He also suffered the 2009 upset, just like some other great teams (the Holy Angels upsets were brutal, especially in regions, and the Duluth East loss to Lakeville South was similarly amazing). Coaches with great teams fall short far more often than they win. In the eight years teams have been seeded, the top seed has lost 75% of the time, and if you go back before that, the favorite heading into regions fails to win state at least 75% of the time. The truth is, if it were hard not to win by simply having the most talent, a lot of programs would have a lot more championships than the 2 or 3 they have (and in many cases, none at all). The fact that Giles has been able to grow in his position and get the most out of his talented players has changed my ambivalent opinion of him several years ago to great respect. Few coaches can have their kids playing their best in late February and March, and he seems to have found the secret.
O-townClown

Curt Giles

Post by O-townClown »

I watched games online for years and would see very short interviews of him between periods. He came across as a guy devoid of any personality.

Then I saw an expanded interview with him and several players following one of the Edina state titles and my opinion changed completely. It was obvious he cares deeply about his players and found each of them special in their own unique way. His delivery is deadpan, but he's funny in a Newhart-dry way.

I'd be comfortable with my son playing for him any day. Didn't realize it has been 16 years with the Hornets. Wow.
Be kind. Rewind.
57special

Post by 57special »

gitter wrote:
green4 wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote: I'm curious as to why this viewpoint has any traction. Giles really has nothing to do with the youth program that I can see. He might come and watch a Bantam AA game once in a while, and he holds a summer clinic, but other than that he has little to no involvement in the youth program. His assistant also coaches on the Bantam AA staff and coached B1 for a number of years. Maybe that's the only connection they need, but Giles is a recluse.

I'll confirm this. My son, who will likely never play JV, let alone Varsity, is on a first name basis with Curt, and has been since Squirt. Curt paid enough attention to him that he mentioned a few of his positive traits to me in passing.

Curt runs a few off season clinics. All are welcome, whether you are a C player or a future DI prospect. Other than that, he leaves the EHA alone. Whether that's his choice, the EHA's, or a combination of the two, it's probably a good thing for this town. You can be an anointed "chosen one" coming up through the minor ranks, but Curt doesn't give a crap. The reverse is also true.

I don't know him well, but chatted with him a couple of times as we are both Canucks of a similar vintage and we had a team mate in common. He seems to be a reserved man when it comes to dealing with adults, but i think part of that is dealing with the political crap that is inevitable in Edina hockey.

All in all, I think the EHS is very lucky to have Curt as a coach.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Not bright enough to do a poll but curious what the numbers would be to the question of what was better for Edina HS Hockey a) Giles continuing to coach and running the program his way or b) Bellows (dad) being out of the picture? Seems it would be pretty close. The kid leaving was a loss along with Zuhlsdorf. With them both the Hornets might even be better than the best team of the modern era in LN.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Not bright enough to do a poll but curious what the numbers would be to the question of what was better for Edina HS Hockey a) Giles continuing to coach and running the program his way or b) Bellows (dad) being out of the picture? Seems it would be pretty close. The kid leaving was a loss along with Zuhlsdorf. With them both the Hornets might even be better than the best team of the modern era in LN.
You truly have this incredible ability to say some of the dumbest content on here. Any shot on LN you get, you take. It's too bad your son couldn't have made the team.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Just trying to keep up with you Stats! Maybe if I'd have your knowledge and ability to pick the team and coaches and statisticians I'd be in a better place. :P
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Just trying to keep up with you Stats! Maybe if I'd have your knowledge and ability to pick the team and coaches and statisticians I'd be in a better place. :P

Ahh. I got it. Drinking again. Alone of course. Look, why don't we petition the MSHSL and see if we can't get kids who have already graduated the chance to still tryout? Then maybe your boy could make the squad? Carry on with your spinelessness.
HockeyBum

Post by HockeyBum »

If my memory serves me correctly, Bellow's (dad) has take objection in the past at pee wee's and bantam's. I don't care if he is an ex nhl'r he fits the crazy parent MO.
bafata88

Post by bafata88 »

A thread about Giles, oh fun.

I acknowledge he knows hockey and can get his teams to win games. In that vein he is a very good hockey coach. There are plenty of people who will never agree that he cares about the players. Sure he can be chummy with players employing his dry humor. But there are plenty of examples when he has been nothing but a ruthless uncaring dolt in his treatment of players. He has always had favorites, even very mediocre hockey players. There is little rhyme or reason to his treatment of players. He will go out of his way to rip the hearts out of others. And like he says in the article, he does not care what anyone thinks.

Go ahead acolytes, praise your boy. Plenty of others know better.
green4

Post by green4 »

bafata88 wrote:A thread about Giles, oh fun.

I acknowledge he knows hockey and can get his teams to win games. In that vein he is a very good hockey coach. There are plenty of people who will never agree that he cares about the players. Sure he can be chummy with players employing his dry humor. But there are plenty of examples when he has been nothing but a ruthless uncaring dolt in his treatment of players. He has always had favorites, even very mediocre hockey players. There is little rhyme or reason to his treatment of players. He will go out of his way to rip the hearts out of others. And like he says in the article, he does not care what anyone thinks.

Go ahead acolytes, praise your boy. Plenty of others know better.
Lol, I'm surprised you didn't make a remembrance post about the class of 2012 again.