Section 1A pick em

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Section 1A pick em

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

Now it is time to get serious about who think will win it. Make a pick and have your name attached to it. One team per name and post your pick. Then we can see who is the great hockey mind.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Northfield
BP

Post by BP »

I'm saying New Prague. But don't sleep on Lourdes. Best goalie in section. If they can find a way to score some goals and keep teams to 2 goals or less, they can win it. I think they have like 10, 1 goal losses.
GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 »

So by picking playoff high school hockey wrong you're not a great hockey mind, but picking correctly you are? Please don't coach my kids. :)

P.S. Does this really need its own thread?
OU812

Post by OU812 »

I'll be cheering for West, but have to go with New Prague based on last year, coaching, and the possibility of a hot goalie
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

Pick one team period!
GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 »

OU812 wrote:I'll be cheering for West, but have to go with New Prague based on last year, coaching, and the possibility of a hot goalie
Have you been able to watch them play at all lately? I know you generally have had good insight on West, and they've won a ton of games since the new year. Just wondering what's got them going.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

GopherPuck15 wrote:So by picking playoff high school hockey wrong you're not a great hockey mind, but picking correctly you are? Please don't coach my kids. :)

P.S. Does this really need its own thread?

Lighten up, Francis!
Jim9000

Post by Jim9000 »

We can pick one team per period?

That may be a few too many teams, and seems difficult. :P
OU812

Post by OU812 »

GopherPuck15 wrote:
OU812 wrote:I'll be cheering for West, but have to go with New Prague based on last year, coaching, and the possibility of a hot goalie
Have you been able to watch them play at all lately? I know you generally have had good insight on West, and they've won a ton of games since the new year. Just wondering what's got them going.
I have, yeah. Good point too; since Dec 31 they are 12-1-1, including six one goal games, all of which they won. Considering this year's Scarlets have only three healthy skaters who played any significant time last year, winning the Big 9 again was a solid accomplishment. I'd say the PP has been better than expected, senior F Austin Langworthy has had something of a breakout year (two hat tricks this week), and G Connor Wollenzien and his .922 save pctg look ready for the section playoffs.

I still say NP is the favorite after they whomped West 6-0 in early December, played a tougher schedule, and after all they found a way to win last year over one of the best West teams ever in the section final. Also a few 1A teams look improved since last year, like LeSeuer/St Peter, East, and Faribault.
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

New Prague over Mankato West

One thing that has become abundantly clear is that after New Prague, there are 6 or 7 teams that can beat each other on any given night. Even New Prague will have a tough quarter final match up. They will face the winner of the 8 v 9 play-in game which will probably be Mankato East vs Albert Lea. Albert Lea might be the most dangerous 9 seed in the state. Yes I believe it will be New Prague, but they will have to beat 3 quality opponents to do it.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

I go with the Trojan's. They took care of West (with the best goalie in section :wink: ) and Albert Lea convincingly. Concerned with the close games vs Northfield, Red Wing, and Lourdes, as was the case vs those teams in sections last year!
GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 »

OU812 wrote:
GopherPuck15 wrote:
I have, yeah. Good point too; since Dec 31 they are 12-1-1, including six one goal games, all of which they won. Considering this year's Scarlets have only three healthy skaters who played any significant time last year, winning the Big 9 again was a solid accomplishment. I'd say the PP has been better than expected, senior F Austin Langworthy has had something of a breakout year (two hat tricks this week), and G Connor Wollenzien and his .922 save pctg look ready for the section playoffs.

I still say NP is the favorite after they whomped West 6-0 in early December, played a tougher schedule, and after all they found a way to win last year over one of the best West teams ever in the section final. Also a few 1A teams look improved since last year, like LeSeuer/St Peter, East, and Faribault.
Thanks for the analysis. It looks as though this year's West team knows how to win close games, which is a key factor when the pressure is on. Should be interesting to see how it goes.
blueblood

1A

Post by blueblood »

New Prague