MSHSL Game Limit

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

sticksave

Post by sticksave » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:05 am

New postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:33 am Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of opinions here... might as well add mine!

Ask any D1 or higher hockey player from Minnesota if high school aged kids should play hockey year-round. I'd be surprised if you can find a single yes. In accordance with that, I think particular care should be taken to allow kids to play separate fall, winter, and spring sports. That could make it difficult to extend the calendar length of the season.

As for games, I think it's only a good idea if we're adding actual hours of ice time. If we're just swapping out games for practice or conditioning time, I don't see the benefit. Also, academic eligibility should NEVER be sacrificed, even though additional hours of ice time will certainly put a strain on homework.

So, in conclusion, I'm all for more ice time (games, practice, length of season, etc.) as long as kids can still play multiple sports and manage their academics.

I agree a 100% with this other than the part about year round hockey. I would say MOST of the d-1 guys played year round hockey. High school in the winter AAA in the summer and Elite in the fall. Is that the right thing.... NO. I'm a big fan of multiple sport athlete's. My son was told by his Elite coach he couldn't play football. It was a Giant disappointment. What I'm saying is AAA is going to start stealing kids if we don't allow more ice time, games,etc. to high school hockey programs. If we don't, well guess what, the worst case scenario is, the MSHSL is left ruling over the few who can't make AAA. The only other thing would be if the MSHSL could set rules that all of the hockey programs in the state must follow but they don't have that kind of power. SSM plays around 40 games with lots of travel and I'm guessing they have some pretty good students. More hockey does not mean poorer grades necessarily. My wish.... Go back to the way it was when I graduated. Football started the 3rd week of August and was done the end of October. Hockey started just before Thanksgiving and ended the second week of March and baseball started two weeks later. It was easy to play all 3 sports. We all know this will never happen again.

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:22 am

silentbutdeadly3139 wrote:
green4 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
green4 wrote:Something totally out of their control, but if school ever became year round...
The powerful teachers' unions would never go along with this. Instead, I think they should raise the maximum number of regular season games to 30 and play 20 minute periods.
Many teachers are in favor of year round schooling and it would not really be the teachers Unions final decision. Regardless, it seems unlikely they add games to the hockey season unless they extend the seasons length. But they most likely won't extend the seasons length without extending the other sport's seasons too. The best you could hope for I believe is 20 minute periods.
Yeah, I see teachers picketing all the time trying to work summers, they hate having summer off :roll: If you don't think the teachers union is powerful, you need to think again. I think most parents would prefer year round school just as they pushed for full time kindergarten because it is very difficult to find summer daycare.
I do not know of any parents who live in the upper Midwest that want year round school. All of them that I know understand that summer is a limited and special thing up here. Also, the "seasonal" businesses up here would be decimated by year round school, it's actually that "lobby" that has the bigger impact on preventing year round school than teachers unions or even parents. You think the multi-billion dollar summer tourism business lobby in MN or WI or states like ours want school happening in the summer, you are crazy.

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:24 am

sticksave wrote:

New postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:33 am Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of opinions here... might as well add mine!

Ask any D1 or higher hockey player from Minnesota if high school aged kids should play hockey year-round. I'd be surprised if you can find a single yes. In accordance with that, I think particular care should be taken to allow kids to play separate fall, winter, and spring sports. That could make it difficult to extend the calendar length of the season.

As for games, I think it's only a good idea if we're adding actual hours of ice time. If we're just swapping out games for practice or conditioning time, I don't see the benefit. Also, academic eligibility should NEVER be sacrificed, even though additional hours of ice time will certainly put a strain on homework.

So, in conclusion, I'm all for more ice time (games, practice, length of season, etc.) as long as kids can still play multiple sports and manage their academics.

I agree a 100% with this other than the part about year round hockey. I would say MOST of the d-1 guys played year round hockey. High school in the winter AAA in the summer and Elite in the fall. Is that the right thing.... NO. I'm a big fan of multiple sport athlete's. My son was told by his Elite coach he couldn't play football. It was a Giant disappointment. What I'm saying is AAA is going to start stealing kids if we don't allow more ice time, games,etc. to high school hockey programs. If we don't, well guess what, the worst case scenario is, the MSHSL is left ruling over the few who can't make AAA. The only other thing would be if the MSHSL could set rules that all of the hockey programs in the state must follow but they don't have that kind of power. SSM plays around 40 games with lots of travel and I'm guessing they have some pretty good students. More hockey does not mean poorer grades necessarily. My wish.... Go back to the way it was when I graduated. Football started the 3rd week of August and was done the end of October. Hockey started just before Thanksgiving and ended the second week of March and baseball started two weeks later. It was easy to play all 3 sports. We all know this will never happen again.
SSM's U18 prep team plays around 40 give or take but their U16 and U14 teams play 50+ easily

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:27 am

Money talks and BS walks and hockey is the MSHSL cash cow, they should listen to who generates revenue. If not, collectivley vote with your feet. Generate a far better solution. Not talking triple A there is better way to do hockey in Minnesota at midget / HS level.
Give up on the myth of the 3 sport athlete, those days are gone. 2 sport is realistic in today's sport culture.
Let's not pretend public school is an academic challenge, that is laughable :D :lol:

GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:03 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:
sticksave wrote:I was at Schwans Arena this weekend and looming all over the complex were 4'x6' signs for AAA hockey. Their big selling point is more games. In Minnesota we're very lucky to still have high school hockey. Most states don't. The talk out there is to be competitive with AAA hockey the MSHSL is going to have to bend or we will start having large scale defections to AAA hockey. Most so called experts outside of this state don't understand how we are still getting away with it. Of course look at the high number of D-1 players we put out and it shuts them up.... for now. More and more of our local skaters have parents who are not hockey traditionalists. If the MSHSl doesn't progress with demand we can expect our current system to change. :cry:
To this comment and the others similar; what does more games accomplish without a longer season?

I have no inside knowledge of anything, but from the way things have been handled in recent years with the MSHSL, the student in student athlete comes first and they aren't going to do things for one sport they aren't doing for others.

If you want these changes and aren't going to address the legitimate issues at play, the changes won't happen.
Money talks..If High School Hockey continues to be imploded by junior leagues and AAA teams, the MSHSL will lose it's primary money maker in the State tournament. If that happens, or even begins to, changes will happen whether or not it's best for the students.

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:12 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Money talks and BS walks and hockey is the MSHSL cash cow, they should listen to who generates revenue. If not, collectivley vote with your feet. Generate a far better solution. Not talking triple A there is better way to do hockey in Minnesota at midget / HS level.
Give up on the myth of the 3 sport athlete, those days are gone. 2 sport is realistic in today's sport culture.
Let's not pretend public school is an academic challenge, that is laughable :D :lol:
Clearly someone not in tune with todays academic standards at good public schools. It is nothing like when I was a kid and it is VERY VERY challenging at the good ones.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:49 pm

JSR wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:Money talks and BS walks and hockey is the MSHSL cash cow, they should listen to who generates revenue. If not, collectivley vote with your feet. Generate a far better solution. Not talking triple A there is better way to do hockey in Minnesota at midget / HS level.
Clearly someone not in tune with todays academic standards at good public schools. It is nothing like when I was a kid and it is VERY VERY challenging at the good ones.
Your failed system cranks out college bound kids that cannot even read at a 7th grade level.

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:49 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
JSR wrote:
Your failed system cranks out college bound kids that cannot even read at a 7th grade level.
What are you talking about? Seriously, show me your research, your data, where you are pulling these insane accusations from. Are some public schools not so great? Sure. Are there some problems especially in the inner city? Yes.... but to say there are "college bound students" who cannot read at a 7th grade level is ridiculous and just plain false. Not at any accredited colleges I am aware of. College admissions are tougher than ever for real colleges and as I mentioned before GOOD public schools are ridiculously hard

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:52 pm

JSR wrote:
JSR wrote:
What are you talking about? Seriously, show me your research, your data, where you are pulling these insane accusations from. Are some public schools not so great? Sure. Are there some problems especially in the inner city? Yes.... but to say there are "college bound students" who cannot read at a 7th grade level is ridiculous and just plain false. Not at any accredited colleges I am aware of. College admissions are tougher than ever for real colleges and as I mentioned before GOOD public schools are ridiculously hard
You are on fantasy island if you think the modern public school system cranks out quality students.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:00 pm

Stotsky clarified, “The average reading level for five of the top seven books assigned as summer reading by 341 colleges using Renaissance Learning’s readability formula was rated 7.56.”

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/01/ ... ade-level/

American High School Students Are Reading Books At 5th-Grade-Appropriate Levels: Report
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/2 ... 73680.html

Literacy of College Graduates Is on Decline
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00701.html

Average college freshman reads at 7th-grade level

http://www.wnd.com/2015/01/average-coll ... ade-level/

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:21 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Stotsky clarified, “The average reading level for five of the top seven books assigned as summer reading by 341 colleges using Renaissance Learning’s readability formula was rated 7.56.”

American High School Students Are Reading Books At 5th-Grade-Appropriate Levels: Report

Three of your four sources are cite the results of a single "report" that doesn't exist when you click on the provided links, and all quote the same outspoken critic. Oh, and Renaissance Learning, the supposed author of the report? They are a for-profit company that sells educational software...reading/literacy programs in particular. No conflict of interest there, right? :roll:

The Washington Post story focuses on college graduates, rather than college freshmen...are high schools to blame for reading levels after four (or more) years of post-secondary education?

Oh, and there is nothing within any of those links that distinguish between the reading levels of students attending public schools and those who are either home-schooled or attend private school.

But thank you for playing. :roll:
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:11 pm

GopherPuck15 wrote:
Money talks..If High School Hockey continues to be imploded by junior leagues and AAA teams, the MSHSL will lose it's primary money maker in the State tournament. If that happens, or even begins to, changes will happen whether or not it's best for the students.
No it doesn't and that line you and someone else clings too is a load of BS. The MSHSL makes it's money from the dues its members pay along with state tournaments, any money made on any tournament, after expenses, is returned to the schools. Boys basketball was the king for a long time in Minnesota and even though that tournament is a shell of what it was 40-50 years ago the league hasn't changed it back just to make money.

With costs going up in terms of ice rental, transportation, and participation fees along with concern about concussions I don't see any need or desire to expand the number of games.

GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:53 pm

goldy313 wrote:
GopherPuck15 wrote:
No it doesn't and that line you and someone else clings too is a load of BS. The MSHSL makes it's money from the dues its members pay along with state tournaments, any money made on any tournament, after expenses, is returned to the schools. Boys basketball was the king for a long time in Minnesota and even though that tournament is a shell of what it was 40-50 years ago the league hasn't changed it back just to make money.

With costs going up in terms of ice rental, transportation, and participation fees along with concern about concussions I don't see any need or desire to expand the number of games.
You're an enabler of losing the greatest hockey tournament in the world.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:37 am

GopherPuck15 wrote:You're an enabler of losing the greatest hockey tournament in the world.
I agree, the MSHSL needs to adopt to the times and make whatever changes are needed. The League needs to do whatever they can to make sure that staying in high school remains the best possible developmental course for the vast majority of our most talented players. Doing so will, in turn, help to make sure that our treasured, historical State Tournament continues to be the great event and tradition that it's been for over 60 years.

I've been attending the State Tournament for a LONG TIME. But if the current trend continues, and it devolves into a de facto JV tournament because most of our top home-grown talent is missing in action and will end up not going to the Xcel, then to me it would be a very sad development. I've witnessed so many classic, exciting battles featuring the very best that Minnesota high schools have had to offer, and I'd hate to see that come to an end.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:49 am

JSR wrote:I do not know of any parents who live in the upper Midwest that want year round school. All of them that I know understand that summer is a limited and special thing up here. Also, the "seasonal" businesses up here would be decimated by year round school, it's actually that "lobby" that has the bigger impact on preventing year round school than teachers unions or even parents. You think the multi-billion dollar summer tourism business lobby in MN or WI or states like ours want school happening in the summer, you are crazy.
"year round school" wouldn't have kids in school M-F year round; they'd probably add 20 school days or so and decrease the time in the classroom. You'd probably end up with a bunch of 3 day weekends and something like a 6-9 week "summer break" in most scenarios I've seen seriously discussed.

A better educated workforce is worth it.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:52 am

GopherPuck15 wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
sticksave wrote:I was at Schwans Arena this weekend and looming all over the complex were 4'x6' signs for AAA hockey. Their big selling point is more games. In Minnesota we're very lucky to still have high school hockey. Most states don't. The talk out there is to be competitive with AAA hockey the MSHSL is going to have to bend or we will start having large scale defections to AAA hockey. Most so called experts outside of this state don't understand how we are still getting away with it. Of course look at the high number of D-1 players we put out and it shuts them up.... for now. More and more of our local skaters have parents who are not hockey traditionalists. If the MSHSl doesn't progress with demand we can expect our current system to change. :cry:
To this comment and the others similar; what does more games accomplish without a longer season?

I have no inside knowledge of anything, but from the way things have been handled in recent years with the MSHSL, the student in student athlete comes first and they aren't going to do things for one sport they aren't doing for others.

If you want these changes and aren't going to address the legitimate issues at play, the changes won't happen.
NEVER did I say don't make change; I said make it within the confines above. If hockey is longer, so is basketball, etc. That's easy.

I also, like others, don't see the benefit of adding games without a longer season. No one has explained that.

gitter

Post by gitter » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:23 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:
JSR wrote:I do not know of any parents who live in the upper Midwest that want year round school. All of them that I know understand that summer is a limited and special thing up here. Also, the "seasonal" businesses up here would be decimated by year round school, it's actually that "lobby" that has the bigger impact on preventing year round school than teachers unions or even parents. You think the multi-billion dollar summer tourism business lobby in MN or WI or states like ours want school happening in the summer, you are crazy.
"year round school" wouldn't have kids in school M-F year round; they'd probably add 20 school days or so and decrease the time in the classroom. You'd probably end up with a bunch of 3 day weekends and something like a 6-9 week "summer break" in most scenarios I've seen seriously discussed.

I don't think the guys working at McDonald's would benefit by explaining the war of 1812 to a customer. They can barely get my change correct, and I feel like you learn addition and subtraction in first grade. I don't think any guys slapping bumpers on cars in Detroit could explain what branches of Congress have what governing authorities, nor does the migrant worker picking hops cones in Washington state give a crap, nor needs to understand, financial derivatives. Go to college if you need more education. I know plenty of successful people who never went to college (more successful than I am, and I went). In fact, one of them is the president of the company I work for.

There are jobs that require no high school diploma, some that require high school, some that require a 4-year degree, some an MBA, some a PhD, and others even further specialties. Why require kids to go to school year round that are going to do nothing but dig ditches?

I do value education, and it is my hope my kids will go to college when they get older. If the decide not to, they don't. Heck, from a selfish standpoint year-round school would be great - I wouldn't have to pay for summer daycare(but my taxes will go up to pay for the extra school, so I probably lose money in the end)..but in the end, let's let kids be kids - they don't have much time before they are like us.
Last edited by gitter on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:25 am

Another fix would be to lift the travel restriction, I can't remember exactly what it is, but teams should be able to schedule regular season games with prep schools out East, or high school teams from Mich, Illinois, Alaska, etc if they want.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:57 am

JSR wrote:
JSR wrote:
You are on fantasy island if you think the modern public school system cranks out quality students.
The Public School system is not perfect. But Parents drive the bus on Education. If the Parents value education, are involved and continually reinforce it, then the kids will too. If they don't, there is not much any school can do, Public or Private.

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:59 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Another fix would be to lift the travel restriction, I can't remember exactly what it is, but teams should be able to schedule regular season games with prep schools out East, or high school teams from Mich, Illinois, Alaska, etc if they want.
That makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it.

JSR

Post by JSR » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:29 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Stotsky clarified, “The average reading level for five of the top seven books assigned as summer reading by 341 colleges using Renaissance Learning’s readability formula was rated 7.56.”

LOL, agenda driven nonsense.... my kids go to public schools and the kids in our school are ten times more advanced and more educated than any of us ever were at the same age. As mentioned in a different thread the things they learn in 5th grade are what we used to learn in 7th grade. etc... etc... Kids who aren't learning are most likely kids who have no support at home, it's not the schools In general it's the home life.
Last edited by JSR on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

JSR

Post by JSR » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:32 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:

Year round school isn't the answer here either. Societal values and getting rid of the "nanny state' our federal government keeps trying to impose on us would go a lot further in that regard than year round school... that said even if I/we buy into what you propose I do not see how a 9 week summer break would significantly impact learning over a 12 week summer break. 3 weeks, really???

gitter

Post by gitter » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:15 am

JSR wrote:
JSR wrote:
Unfortunately, while not the norm, is true and does happen.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-a ... ng-scores/

mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:48 am

By simply extending periods to 20 minute length, the MSHSL could essentially add 4 games to the current 25 game regular season slate if you solely look at the amount of minutes played. Seems too easy? Top teams in the state then are playing 35 games or so.

sticksave

Post by sticksave » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:54 am

JSR wrote:

JSR wrote:

Money talks and BS walks and hockey is the MSHSL cash cow, they should listen to who generates revenue. If not, collectivley vote with your feet. Generate a far better solution. Not talking triple A there is better way to do hockey in Minnesota at midget / HS level.
Let's not pretend public school is an academic challenge, that is laughable Very Happy Laughing

Unfortunately, while not the norm, is true and does happen.
Ok I'm going to be a little well, lets say not PC, but the vast majority of hockey players are NOT coming from inner city or financially burdened areas where most of these education problems are most troublesome. Not sure about all hockey programs but the ones I've been associated with, push good grades and being a successful student. We've had students/players who did not qualify academically and were suspended. Not sure how we got off on this tangent but hockey is not burdened by the poor student problem. Ya maybe the Hanson brothers were a little slow but the vast majority of players on my sons teams were not only great hockey players but great students. The best players are playing year round and it won't matter if its playing for their school or elite team they are playing most of the time. Making more games available via the MSHSL won't matter one bit as far as their education goes