EP vs Benilde

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Eagles
82%
Red Knights
18%

Total votes: 28

green4

Post by green4 »

thestickler07 wrote:Someone wanna break down what happened?

More scrapping?
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/high-sc ... s-in-brawl

EP was in their zone as the game expired, they were holding it against te boards to run the clock down. Benilde was trying to dig it out but failed, they started to push as time expired. Game is over seems like a little skirmish but no biggie. EP's goalie comes over and knocks a Benilde kid on the ice and then red knight players go after him. Obviously that is a no no, so EP kids each grab a guy and everyone squares up.

There is two short videos with good quality in the link to attached with it
hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 »

I was at game and EP did not start it. I didn't care who won as it was a good hockey game. BSM was working the player over who was holding the puck ending the game. There were punches thrown at his head. Problem is with these games BSM had nothing to lose and EP has everything to lose once the horn sounds. This was started by BSM, and EP finished it. The parents in the box should never have left 20 from EP and 64 from BSM out at the horn until the fight was broken up. Those two were going at it into the box with a minute left. Really too bad to end the game this way as it was a fun game to watch.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Not bad video, 1 game suspensions should very much be in play for somebody?
green4

Post by green4 »

hockeygirl2 wrote:I was at game and EP did not start it. I didn't care who won as it was a good hockey game. BSM was working the player over who was holding the puck ending the game. There were punches thrown at his head. Problem is with these games BSM had nothing to lose and EP has everything to lose once the horn sounds. This was started by BSM, and EP finished it. The parents in the box should never have left 20 from EP and 64 from BSM out at the horn until the fight was broken up. Those two were going at it into the box with a minute left. Really too bad to end the game this way as it was a fun game to watch.
You failed to mention EP's goalie skating out of the net to the far hash mark of the circle to knock over some Benilde players that, in my eyes took the skirmish to another level
hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 »

That had nothing to do with what started it. BSM was punching the player holding the puck at the end of the game. I said EP finished it and they did. But EP did not start it. Had the initial punches not been thrown by BSM what followed would not have occurred, it's that simple. A goalie knocking over a player after punches were thrown did not take it to the next level. It was already there.
Ozzie82

Post by Ozzie82 »

I've talked to a number of people who were there that disagree with your opinion hockeygirl. They said it was clear that the EP goalie escalated it and would be surprised if he were not suspended.
hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 »

Please explain then how punching the kid in the head who is holding the puck isn't escalating it. That was without a doubt what happened first. I'm not saying the EP goalie was an angel, but once the punches start by BSM how are the supposed to respond? BSM throws punches and EP retaliates and the only team to suffer a consequence will be EP, if any.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Word on the street is EP will be missing three players for the section final. Including one from each of the top 2 lines.
Last edited by alcloseshaver on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

hockeygirl2 wrote:Please explain then how punching the kid in the head who is holding the puck isn't escalating it. That was without a doubt what happened first. I'm not saying the EP goalie was an angel, but once the punches start by BSM how are the supposed to respond? BSM throws punches and EP retaliates and the only team to suffer a consequence will be EP, if any.
Hockeygirl, in the great game of hockey, it is usually the player that retaliates that gets the penalty. Right or wrong in so many instances that is the way it is......
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

I was also there and agree the goalie definitely escalated things. Had he stayed in his crease it wouldn't have gotten out of control. There was no reason for him to get involved.
394 West

Post by 394 West »

Tigers33 wrote:I was also there and agree the goalie definitely escalated things. Had he stayed in his crease it wouldn't have gotten out of control. There was no reason for him to get involved.
I would agree. The EP goalie lost composure. May cost them a trip to St Paul.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

More scrapping?
64? from bsm initiated the entire meelee. Came out of the box knew his team was not winning. Assume he is a senior.....nothing to lose. End of story.
CakeNation14

Post by CakeNation14 »

edgeless2 wrote:

More scrapping?
64? from bsm initiated the entire meelee. Came out of the box knew his team was not winning. Assume he is a senior.....nothing to lose. End of story.
Can't forget 20 came out of the box from ep even if he didn't start it he came out and threw punches as well unfortunately for him he has a lot to lose because of this.
green4

Post by green4 »

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/high-sc ... s-in-brawl

They updated the link and at the bottom it now includes the three Eden Prairie players that will miss the final
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Sucks for EP to lose those guys. I think they still beat Tonka and punch ticket to the X.
gitter

Post by gitter »

Unbiased opinion. Anyone who sees what I post knows I am not from the cities and knows I played the game.

EP had the game. They smothered the puck on the sideboards with 3-5 seconds left. Anyone who has played the game knows it is impossible to score in this scenario.

This is frustrating for BSM. They come in with a high hit which is the escalating factor. EP player comes in to his teammates defense. They are basically punching each other at this point. Things are now spiraling. EP goalie also comes in and delivers a hit. It's a typical reaction when your teammate has been "cheap shotted" in your opinion. Did it help? No. But that's not what caused the melee.

I have no idea how 64 or 20 were even out of the penalty box when this was going on. They should have been off the ice like the rest of the team on the benches.

Unfortunate incident. BSM looks like sorry losers and EP could be without players next week. No one wins.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

If EP makes it to the Excel there will be another game to sit for an EP player. I promise the MSHSL will review this further and the penalty will be greater than sitting one game. Two Saturday skirmishes will result in the league taking action to ensure this doesn't continue. Doesn't matter who said or started what. You need to know at that point in the game that the other team has nothing to lose and is cleaning out the lockers on Monday.
394 West

Post by 394 West »

gitter wrote:Unbiased opinion. Anyone who sees what I post knows I am not from the cities and knows I played the game.

EP had the game. They smothered the puck on the sideboards with 3-5 seconds left. Anyone who has played the game knows it is impossible to score in this scenario.

This is frustrating for BSM. They come in with a high hit which is the escalating factor. EP player comes in to his teammates defense. They are basically punching each other at this point. Things are now spiraling. EP goalie also comes in and delivers a hit. It's a typical reaction when your teammate has been "cheap shotted" in your opinion. Did it help? No. But that's not what caused the melee.

I have no idea how 64 or 20 were even out of the penalty box when this was going on. They should have been off the ice like the rest of the team on the benches.

Unfortunate incident. BSM looks like sorry losers and EP could be without players next week. No one wins.
I was at the game. Both teams had equal involvement. The EP players especially the goalie should be smarter and pulled away. Does not matter who started it. As said earlier 2nd guy in usually pays the price which may be a trip to St. Paul. Tonka loves that this discussion is going on.
supertacks

Post by supertacks »

gitter wrote:Unbiased opinion. Anyone who sees what I post knows I am not from the cities and knows I played the game.

We'll said glitter, totally agree! Folks blaming the goaltender are complete morons and/or know nothing about hockey.

That all being said, the officials role in this was nothing short of cowardly. They sat with their thumbs up their ass and did nothing to step in and prevent the escalation. Big dopey linesman guy could have prevented most of this by simply doing his job and stepping between some of the punks going at it.
394 West

Post by 394 West »

supertacks wrote:

We'll said glitter, totally agree! Folks blaming the goaltender are complete morons and/or know nothing about hockey.

That all being said, the officials role in this was nothing short of cowardly. They sat with their thumbs up their ass and did nothing to step in and prevent the escalation. Big dopey linesman guy could have prevented most of this by simply doing his job and stepping between some of the punks going at it.
Except that the goalie had a huge part in escalating the whole ordeal. Would not be surprised if he is out next week. He skated from his crease and pounded a bsm guy in the corner.
gitter

Post by gitter »

394 West wrote:
supertacks wrote:

Except that the goalie had a huge part in escalating the whole ordeal. Would not be surprised if he is out next week. He skated from his crease and pounded a bsm guy in the corner.
Goalie would have done nothing if there wasn't a high hit and punches already being thrown on the EP guy holding the puck on the boards.

Say what you want about being "smart". These are 16-18 year old boys with lots of testosterone - and if you played the game at this level you know bottling emotions is next to impossible in a scenario like this.
PuckDaddy

Post by PuckDaddy »

394 West wrote:
supertacks wrote:

I was at the game. In my opinion - the refs were doing everything in their power to let BSM back in the game. Not calling high hits. a boarding call that was not called against them and a elbow/butt end to the head. Refs not calling the game the way it should - in a lot of games not just this one. If the game is called the way it should be - maybe this type of thing would not happen or be minimized. MSHSL has to take a look at how refs are calling the games too. The refs not steping in is inexcusable. Not condoning what happened - but what is it gonna take for the refs to start calling the game the way it should - hope it does not take someone getting hurt. Refs are not just there to call offsides and icing - which seems to be a challenge for some crews..............
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

Goalies need to stay as far away from these as possible. Don't even go to hold people back. Them being there can only increase the tension. If someone just accidentally bumps them it will escalate the situation.

Bottom line is it sounds like someone lost their helmet and was getting punched with a bare fist while on the ice. Even if EP didn't start it and just finished it, that still comes with consequences. And fair ones at that from te sounds of it.
gitter

Post by gitter »

warriors41 wrote:Bottom line is it sounds like someone lost their helmet and was getting punched with a bare fist while on the ice. Even if EP didn't start it and just finished it, that still comes with consequences. And fair ones at that from te sounds of it.
Absolutely correct. As I said, no one wins in this scenario.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Why is BSM always in the middle of this garbage? I can't believe refs put up with Pauly and his BS. Guys more than an embarassment. It's always "look at me" from his terribly outdated sport coats to his mushroom wedge haircuts. Plus, the guys clearly lost his ability to recruit!