EP vs Benilde

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Eagles
82%
Red Knights
18%

Total votes: 28

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

OTB987 wrote:Blah blah blah

It was a tightly contested game that meant everything to the player participating. Nobody gave an inch the game and the emotions ran over and the kids on the ice, with all of their equipment on, starting wrestling and some punches were thrown.

You would hope that this would not happen but it did and it happens more than you think - the actions are not as obvious. Such as, a hard slash or spear or head contact at the buzzer is very common and carries a more genuine intent to injure that this fight.

So if this is so bad in your eyes than go watch tennis. Hockey is an emotional game especially when it is all or nothing.

Lastly, the kids on the ice got over it in about 30 seconds but the adults are having a hard time coming to terms with what they witnessed. Whatever.
That's fine but there are consequences for behavior against the rules. If your willing to risk missing your section final then go for it.
GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome »

Hats off to EP's #11 who went from scrum to scrum trying to pull his guys out. Seemed to be the only EP player on the ice who understood the potential ramifications of what was transpiring. Very smart and mature behavior by that young man. His actions should be acknowledged and applauded.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

It was a tightly contested game that meant everything to the player participating. Nobody gave an inch the game and the emotions ran over and the kids on the ice, with all of their equipment on, starting wrestling and some punches were thrown.

You would hope that this would not happen but it did and it happens more than you think - the actions are not as obvious. Such as, a hard slash or spear or head contact at the buzzer is very common and carries a more genuine intent to injure that this fight.

So if this is so bad in your eyes than go watch tennis. Hockey is an emotional game especially when it is all or nothing.

Lastly, the kids on the ice got over it in about 30 seconds but the adults are having a hard time coming to terms with what they witnessed. Whatever.
Clearly you have no idea what the purpose of this board is. There are 30 pages of posts on 3A hockey. It's very existence is to allow people to vent, question, poke and beat things to death. Three pages hardly constitutes "having a hard time coming to terms," as you put it. Classless behavior deserves at least a few more pages. I'm guessing that Giles is patting himself on the back for letting a couple of these kids leave for redder pastures.
OTB987

Post by OTB987 »

alcloseshaver wrote:

That's fine but there are consequences for behavior against the rules. If your willing to risk missing your section final then go for it.
Yes, I agree. You break the rules you suffer the consequences.

It is the adults that are putting their hands over their eyes in disgust that I think need to lighten up. Unless you have played in a game like that you do not have an idea as to what it takes.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

You think there is a place in the game for what happened on Saturday? You must be the goalies dad from Eden prairie. I have seen hundreds of high school games and played in my fair share of them too. Never have I seen anything like that. Remember I am talking about high school games here. The problem is what you are dealing with is immature 16-18 year old kids. The reason they got over it so fast is because I guarantee you they thought it was cool to do what they did. Afterwards I bet they still were joking about it in the locker room. Then all of a sudden they find out the consequences and I bet the emotions poured out.

You want to point the blame at anyone then in my opinion it's this order.
1. The players themselves and they must face the consequences. What's the penalty in the NHL for leaving the bench during a fight. Something like 5-10 games. Hmmm...
2. The parents of the players. I would hope they discipline their kids for some if the behavior.
3. The coach. Not much a coach can do in situations like this. It's what he does after this that tells you something.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Two things upset me:
1 - The players that came out of the penalty box... off-ice officials should not let that happen.
2 - Players off the bench... the coaches should have controlled that.

If something happens on the ice, the players know the consequences and that's that.
SidneysDogHouse

Post by SidneysDogHouse »

elliott70 wrote:Two things upset me:
1 - The players that came out of the penalty box... off-ice officials should not let that happen.

If something happens on the ice, the players know the consequences and that's that.
Agreed! Although if one of your players jumps the boards, how do you stop them? They shouldn't go in the first place, but kids are kids, why do some drink and some don't? If the BSM bench was on that end, I'm sure they would've had the same issue.

Two things...#9 from BSM...don't fight! #1 EP...stay in your net!

This wasn't as bad as it's all played out to be...did anyone see Prior Lake and Moorhead over the holidays? That was FAR worse!!! That one involved fans in the stands, the refs, and many players ejected. And lasted more than 30 seconds!

May I predict if Edina and North play for the Chip...you will see something like this again if North loses!
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

SidneysDogHouse wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Two things upset me:

Agreed! Although if one of your players jumps the boards, how do you stop them? They shouldn't go in the first place, but kids are kids, why do some drink and some don't? If the BSM bench was on that end, I'm sure they would've had the same issue.

Two things...#9 from BSM...don't fight! #1 EP...stay in your net!

This wasn't as bad as it's all played out to be...did anyone see Prior Lake and Moorhead over the holidays? That was FAR worse!!! That one involved fans in the stands, the refs, and many players ejected. And lasted more than 30 seconds!

May I predict if Edina and North play for the Chip...you will see something like this again if North loses!
Not saying it is easy, but usually 4 men (coaches) standing there. First inclination is to see what's going on, but the bench is your responsibility. Control those kids, let the refs control the ice and again, that's that.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Video has kind of gone viral. I'm just some unbiased observer reviewing the video evidence and chiming in with an opinion. #11 for BSM charges into the pile to dislodge the puck. I didn't think that act was that bad and it was nothing I haven't seen about 100 times before. The real issue starts with the goalie coming in and laying out #20 for BSM. A real cheap shot as the kid was probably 4 feet from the boards, didn't see it coming, and the goalie launches him into the boards. There was no reason for the goalie to leave the crease in that situation. If I'm in charge I suspend him. I also suspend #20 for EP. #79 for BSM had lost his helmet and had been taken to the ice and #20 for EP continued to hammer away on him, gloves off.

You can say that BSM started the whole thing. Yeah, I suppose #11 didn't need to try to dislodge the puck like that but the way I see it this one is on EP. They definitely escalated the situation. They had won the game and could have just ended it right there by skating away knowing they were moving on. Instead it turned into an utter mess.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Cut EP a little slack....they finally won a game at Braemar & didn't know how to react! :D

All kidding aside, it's hard to maintain yourself when one team suddenly has nothing to lose. But you just have to rise above it. Instead of throwing punches, #20 just needs to get into a bear hug wrestling match. Hold off on the punches & wrestle and you'll probably avoid any lingering suspensions. I guess that's the only thing I can think of doing when another team is wanting to get into it with you as they have nothing to lose.

The goalie is an idiot. I will publicly say that & back it up if questioned about it. Skating into the corner to start something; that garbage is stuff you see in the ECHL & on minor league hockey fight highlight videos. Stay in your crease. And don't double down with the outlandish quote after the game!

As for BSM, I'm more mad at Pauly for letting a kid wear the #64 than not doing more to prevent his players, but I'm kind of an old fuddy-duddy at times like that....
gitter

Post by gitter »

Doc Holliday wrote:Cut EP a little slack....they finally won a game at Braemar & didn't know how to react! :D
That's funny there.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

Doc Holliday wrote: As for BSM, I'm more mad at Pauly for letting a kid wear the #64 than not doing more to prevent his players, but I'm kind of an old fuddy-duddy at times like that....
I can find no mention of any famous #64 in the history of the NHL. Perhaps with the video going viral, this kid will take the honors. :)
mnhockeynut77

Post by mnhockeynut77 »

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 »

GoBigorGoHome wrote:Hats off to EP's #11 who went from scrum to scrum trying to pull his guys out. Seemed to be the only EP player on the ice who understood the potential ramifications of what was transpiring. Very smart and mature behavior by that young man. His actions should be acknowledged and applauded.
Agree, CM was class all the way. For a sophomore he showed that he is a true leader on that team. Smith should put the C on his jersey for the rest of the season.
Hockey6

Great Action

Post by Hockey6 »

I think this is a great sight to see. Gotta love fights
MNHockeyFan

Re: Great Action

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Hockey6 wrote:I think this is a great sight to see. Gotta love fights
Great first post, 6. Glad it turned you on. :roll:
GTTN

Post by GTTN »

Side note: in the earlier bsm ep game at SLP #20 for bsm ran the ep goalie and started a much tamer version of what happened this time. I think the ep goalie was searching out #20 once he saw him in the corner. He gets to the corner so fast before #20 really does anything.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

If the EP goalie does not come into the corner and cheap shot BSM 20 this would of never happened. Suspensions should have been 8, 20, goalie and 3. 20 for fighting, 8 for fighting, 3 for leaving bench and goalie match penalty for hit from behind intent to injure. Also, emotions were running very high after the EP goal since they were off sides by 3 ft at the line. Missing penalties is part of the game but missing off sides is black and white. HS hockey refs are so bad and only getting worse.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Not to belabor an old thread, but I see its still going strong...

Wasnt there, watched the KSTP video twice. Questions/perceptions:

Did any EP coaching staff or captains/assts immediately realize implications and yell out to escalators to back down, realizing nothing to gain and everything to lose in the next round?

Appeared two refs stood at a distance for many seconds before moving in to find an opening to separate individuals?

Looked to my like BSM KP and 64, although a participant, was first to get his kids in line and line up for the handshake. EP kids appeared to still be all mingling over around their bench
PuckDaddy

Post by PuckDaddy »

MNscout. Were you at the game?
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

Rumor has it that some of the key participants on the BSM side were not in school yesterday. Suspensions?
SidneysDogHouse

minnscout wrote:If the EP goalie does not come into the corner and cheap shot BSM 20 this would of never happened. Suspensions should have been 8, 20, goalie and 3. 20 for fighting, 8 for fighting, 3 for leaving bench and goalie match penalty for hit from behind intent to injure. Also, emotions were running very high after the EP goal since they were off sides by 3 ft at the line. Missing penalties is part of the game but missing off sides is black and white. HS hockey refs are so bad and only getting worse.

Oh Minnscout...I hear tissues are on sale at Walmart! No rebound, no goal!
gitter

Post by gitter »

minnscout wrote:If the EP goalie does not come into the corner and cheap shot BSM 20 this would of never happened. Suspensions should have been 8, 20, goalie and 3. 20 for fighting, 8 for fighting, 3 for leaving bench and goalie match penalty for hit from behind intent to injure. Also, emotions were running very high after the EP goal since they were off sides by 3 ft at the line. Missing penalties is part of the game but missing off sides is black and white. HS hockey refs are so bad and only getting worse.
Your eyes must need to be checked if you thought that was a hit from behind by the goalie. He got him right in the chin.
SidneysDogHouse

gitter wrote:
Your eyes must need to be checked if you thought that was a hit from behind by the goalie. He got him right in the chin.
SidneysDogHouse

gitter wrote:
Hence the head contact penalty! Minnscout, you woudn't do well on Funniest Home Videos "Head, Gut, or Groin" game! :o :o :o :o :o