Minnetonka Vs. Wayzata

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who Wins?

Skippers
59%
Trojans
41%

Total votes: 22

green4

Minnetonka Vs. Wayzata

Post by green4 »

Another solid 6AA semi-final game between two Lake conference rivals.

The teams split against one another during the regular season with Wayzata winning the first game 2-1 while Minnetonka won 5-1 just two weeks ago.

Wayzata has lots of talent and star power, compared to the Skippers who don't have too many big names.

Both teams have had an up and down season so it will be interesting to see how this game turns out. Game according to the Hub will be at 7:30 on Saturday at Bloomington Ice Gardens.
@hockeytweet

Post by @hockeytweet »

This will be a fun game.
Both teams talented, with Jeykll & Hyde personas.

1-0 Wayzata, OT, in a Goalie duel? Or 2-0 Tonka, on ENG at end to clinch it?

Too much to wish for?

In Vegas, this would be a pick 'em, wouldn't it?
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

One of the games I'm looking forward to on Saturday, to be competitive.

I got 'Tonka, for no particular reason at all.
Buy ya a soda after the game!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Not making Section 6 predictions, but recall Tonka won convincingly in their last matchup
nahc

Post by nahc »

Just can't root for a "Skippers" team...... just me......

Wyazata 3-1 and the momentum continues.......!
mnhockeynut77

Post by mnhockeynut77 »

Anyone at the game that can comment on the two teams' performances?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

So the annually overrated Trojans underachieve and bow out early again? Time for O'Leary to re-evaluate his "Defense first, shot blocking philosophy".....most HS coaches would kill for that feeder program.
green4

Post by green4 »

Sats81 wrote:So the annually overrated Trojans underachieve and bow out early again? Time for O'Leary to re-evaluate his "Defense first, shot blocking philosophy".....most HS coaches would kill for that feeder program.
Man, you are more negative than usual today
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

green4 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:So the annually overrated Trojans underachieve and bow out early again? Time for O'Leary to re-evaluate his "Defense first, shot blocking philosophy".....most HS coaches would kill for that feeder program.
Man, you are more negative than usual today
Negative or realistic? It's the truth green.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Hey Stats I'm not even hammered and I agree with you. Just shows you anything can happen this time of the year. :P
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

May be a somewhat controversial comment, but while I agree that Wayz was vastly over rated at the beginning of the season and throughout the season, I am now thinking that this may have been a team that actually roughly achieved their potential. In other words, a 500 won loss record along with a quarterfinal section win was about the limit for their level of talent

There are a couple players who puzzled me all season long and again tonight, I won't mention names but as an example one of them had about seven or eight clean shots on goal tonite from 20 feet or less, and all were right in the chest of the Tonka goalie instead of low or high in either corner. So I guess that would be called a talent limitation, right?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

WestMetro wrote:May be a somewhat controversial comment, but while I agree that Wayz was vastly over rated at the beginning of the season and throughout the season, I am now thinking that this may have been a team that actually roughly achieved their potential. In other words, a 500 won loss record along with a quarterfinal section win was about the limit for their level of talent

There are a couple players who puzzled me all season long and again tonight, I won't mention names but as an example one of them had about seven or eight clean shots on goal tonite from 20 feet or less, and all were right in the chest of the Tonka goalie instead of low or high in either corner. So I guess that would be called a talent limitation, right?
Totally disagree. You don't churn out the youth numbers and the feeder program that they have, along with the high level of success at the youth level and have a "talent limitation" This is on coaching. O'Leary needs to lose the ego and tough guy BS and see the gold mine of talent he has around him. Until then, this program will continue to have underwhelming seasons. No excuse for them not to be playing EP wed night.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I see your broader point but certainly it can't be on the coach that the kid hit the chest pad seven or eight times instead of the twine. For this kid and one other all season long, for whatever reason their expected talent level just didn't show up , So in hindsight a person wonders if it was really there to begin with
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

I was at this game, and thought Wayzata was taking it to Minnetonka in the 1st ten minutes, but couldn't get one to go. Once Tonka got their legs going, they were the better team for the majority of the game. Minnetonka really wore them down as the game went on, and I thought Wayzata's goalie was fighting the puck all night. Every save he was giving up a good rebound, and on the other end Tonka's goalie was very good. I wasn't really impressed with Wayzata overall. I thought Zimmer's line was the only line that really generated any kind of offense, and he missed the net constantly all night besides the late goal he scored. Besides the late flurry in the last few minutes, Minnetonka was the much better team tonight.

Oh, and I was at the EP/BSM game too. Can we not have players taking cheap shots when they know their season is over? A Wayzata player in this game took a dirty slash on a Minnetonka player as time expired. I know their kids, but show some sportsmanship for gods sake.
Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Hey Stats I'm not even hammered and I agree with you
lol
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Tonka Skates Past Wayzata in a No Rumble affair in Bloomington. Story, Pics and Interviews.

http://ow.ly/Jsc2w
mnhockeynut77

Post by mnhockeynut77 »

Can anyone speak to the overall atmosphere at BIG yesterday?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Aside from (unnamed) Wayz Dman cheap slash at end of the game, the game was remarkably free of whistles and there were no cheap hits. In fact our group kept commenting on the lack of whistles , even for faceoffs. It was a clean and free flowing game, although a litte sloppy at times.

WBL pretty well summed it up. Wayz controlled most of first period, and Tonka the last two, until Wayz's final rush at the 4 minute mark culminating with them almost tying it up after pulling Schilling.

Tonka deserved the win . Berger was better goalie that day, and Wayzata shooters had plenty of open shots but kept missing the cage or hitting Berger right in the chest. At the semifinal level of Section 6, a kid has to find a way to hit the twine when opportunity presents itself.

Neither team is at the level of the top two, or for that matter 3 and 4. It will be interesting if Tonka beats EP at Mariucci, in part because of EPs unsportsmanlike suspensions, whether Tonka is considered for #5 at state. In that situation Elk River would have the better claim on that slot if they get by Duluth East.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

WMetro, I agree 100% on your summary. I was at game too. GB
jgmotorsports

Post by jgmotorsports »

WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:I was at this game, and thought Wayzata was taking it to Minnetonka in the 1st ten minutes, but couldn't get one to go. Once Tonka got their legs going, they were the better team for the majority of the game. Minnetonka really wore them down as the game went on, and I thought Wayzata's goalie was fighting the puck all night. Every save he was giving up a good rebound, and on the other end Tonka's goalie was very good. I wasn't really impressed with Wayzata overall. I thought Zimmer's line was the only line that really generated any kind of offense, and he missed the net constantly all night besides the late goal he scored. Besides the late flurry in the last few minutes, Minnetonka was the much better team tonight.

Oh, and I was at the EP/BSM game too. Can we not have players taking cheap shots when they know their season is over? A Wayzata player in this game took a dirty slash on a Minnetonka player as time expired. I know their kids, but show some sportsmanship for gods sake.
here was that hit, agree, how can this time of assault be stopped. Perhaps a next year game forfeit , season forfeit, some kid is going to really get hurt someday if this is left to continue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vysME31XgU
gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 »

What a cheap shot. What's truly sad, is I don't even have to look at the Wayzata roster to know who that was. I have not seen Wayzata play this year, and I haven't looked at the roster, but there's one kid on that Wayzata roster who would do this.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

gorilla1 wrote:What a cheap shot. What's truly sad, is I don't even have to look at the Wayzata roster to know who that was. I have not seen Wayzata play this year, and I haven't looked at the roster, but there's one kid on that Wayzata roster who would do this.
Yep, #23 has been like this from early on! I blame it on the coaching staff as well as his parents. World of talent as I have noted in previous threads, but continues to take cheap shots with malicious intent with no repercussions or consequences! Seems to like to do this at the end of a loss which has been a lot this yr. I too have a kid with similar intensities but have reeled it in by telling the coaches to sit him should he continue down this path. Further, there are consequences at home as well. I guess winning is more important for Wayzata then the integrity of the game. There is no place for this type of hockey period! Even the NHL is going away from the goons.

On another note, the Trojans were the probably most talented and the deepest team in their section this yr and should have cruised thru a very difficult section to the X. Obviously something's not working with their program at the Varsity level.
IMHO

Post by IMHO »

End of the day you have to score goals. O'Leary's Defense first is great, but you HAVE to score goals. Another common theme is loading one line with your top scorers. Scoring has to come from a minimum of two lines. Coaches get nervous/chicken out and load one line thinking they'll carry the day. Too bad.