Section 8A Final - (#2) TRF vs (#1) East Grand Forks

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins Section 8A for the 2014-15 season

Poll ended at Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:12 pm

(#1) East Grand Forks
63%
(#2) Thief River Falls
38%

Total votes: 32

12thgraders

Section 8A Final - (#2) TRF vs (#1) East Grand Forks

Post by 12thgraders »

EGF scores three in the first after falling behind to Detroit Lakes take the 3-2 win. TRF battled with Warroad to go up on a controversial goal and an empty netter before Warroad made it a one goal game again with 2 seconds left. 3-2 TRF.

Thought? Predictions?
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

What was controversial about the TRF goal? I read other people back home say the same thing. I'm just wondering.
12thgraders

Post by 12thgraders »

warriors41 wrote:What was controversial about the TRF goal? I read other people back home say the same thing. I'm just wondering.
The official was the only one that saw the puck go in. No goal light, no conversation with the goal judge, no real player celebration from TRF and bewilderment from the Warroad players, a couple officials huddles, lots of hooting and hollering from both fan sections and then a center ice face off.
RRubberbeeskit

Re: Section 8A Final - (#2) TRF vs (#1) East Grand Forks

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

12thgraders wrote:EGF scores three in the first after falling behind to Detroit Lakes take the 3-2 win. TRF battled with Warroad to go up on a controversial goal and an empty netter before Warroad made it a one goal game again with 2 seconds left. 3-2 TRF.

Thought? Predictions?
Looks like Detroit Lakes took EGF. Down to the wire in a closely contested 3-2 EGF WIN. Shots were even 39-39.
I am not so sure EGF is close to the team they were last season however I am sure DL was not given near the credit they deserved throughout the year. They were solid and kudos to them for the effort against the Defending State A Champs.
I smell an upset comming in the 8A title game.
CreaseMonkey

Post by CreaseMonkey »

12thgraders wrote:
warriors41 wrote:What was controversial about the TRF goal? I read other people back home say the same thing. I'm just wondering.
The official was the only one that saw the puck go in. No goal light, no conversation with the goal judge, no real player celebration from TRF and bewilderment from the Warroad players, a couple officials huddles, lots of hooting and hollering from both fan sections and then a center ice face off.
The first goal for TRF came after a skater without the puck took down the goalie and made no effort to get off of him until the puck was put in the net.

The second goal was scored by the TRF player laying in the crease, kicking the puck twice until it went in. There was no player stick anywhere near the puck to confuse what happened. The radio crew saw it clearly and stated the same.

I could not believe that the goal judge was not consulted before they made the call.

Leaves a black mark on what was otherwise a great back and forth game.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

The Green Wave will prevail again.
This is their last year.
After this year, I do not know who will prevail in Section 8.
Nobody seems to stand out much in the youth programs.
EGF will be decent next year, but will fall off the map after that.
What is a Green Wave anyway?
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Wow, lots of sour grapes on the Warroad end. The story I am hearing is a kid from Iowa scored both of Warroad's goals. Weird???
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

Green and White Fan wrote:Wow, lots of sour grapes on the Warroad end. The story I am hearing is a kid from Iowa scored both of Warroad's goals. Weird???
It's called imports....
hockeylover20

TRF

Post by hockeylover20 »

I think that Thief River Falls will pull out an upset and prevail out of 8A.
CreaseMonkey

Post by CreaseMonkey »

Green and White Fan wrote:Wow, lots of sour grapes on the Warroad end. The story I am hearing is a kid from Iowa scored both of Warroad's goals. Weird???
If you are addressing my comment, I am just stating what everyone actually at the game saw.

TRF strategy was to crash the net hard, and in the process they picked up a couple of goals by taking out the goalie, the second one being kicked in. They did have a goal in the 1st waved off because the man took out the net as well.

If that is sour grapes to you, so be it, but the fact remains that TRF did not put one clean shot in the goal outside of the empty netter.

As far as the section championship game, I think EGF takes it again. DL gave them a scare by putting a ton of pucks on net. I don't see TRF matching that effort.
12thgraders

Post by 12thgraders »

CreaseMonkey wrote:
If you are addressing my comment, I am just stating what everyone actually at the game saw.

TRF strategy was to crash the net hard, and in the process they picked up a couple of goals by taking out the goalie, the second one being kicked in. They did have a goal in the 1st waved off because the man took out the net as well.

If that is sour grapes to you, so be it, but the fact remains that TRF did not put one clean shot in the goal outside of the empty netter.

As far as the section championship game, I think EGF takes it again. DL gave them a scare by putting a ton of pucks on net. I don't see TRF matching that effort.
The Iowa kid was born in Warroad, left and moved back. Where did #2 for TRF come from? Bagley/Fosston's top scorer transfers over the Christmas break to be a 3rd liner for TRF?

CreaseMonkey is correct and not sour, the only clean goal TRF scored was the empty netter...no questions about that. Even the TRF fans around me were surprised the TRF goals counted, especially the second one.

The disappointing thing to me was Warroad's reliance on Roth. Several times I saw Warroad forwards give up good looks only to dish a pass off to a double or triple covered Roth and then he got pounded and turned it over. Warroad seemed to have no confidence in themselves. They seemed like a better team when Roth and Jaycox were out, they played as a team but in this game the team seemed to want to ride Roth.
12thgraders

Post by 12thgraders »

Where did Prowler Hockey go? He came out of hibernation, posted a comment about the TRF goals and now they are gone! Mysterious and magical!
ted2you

hats off to DL.... They gave EGF a run

Post by ted2you »

I would guess EGF had a wake up call. You never know, one crazy good goalie game and it could be the Prowlers.

EGF is not a team that is going to put up 10 goals a game. They play too defensive. TRF has to get up on them early and make them press. Red River scored on their first 3 shots and EGF started pressing and RR goalie played great. Problem is that not many teams get up on EGF to see if they press.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

12thgraders wrote:
CreaseMonkey wrote:

The Iowa kid was born in Warroad, left and moved back. Where did #2 for TRF come from? Bagley/Fosston's top scorer transfers over the Christmas break to be a 3rd liner for TRF?

CreaseMonkey is correct and not sour, the only clean goal TRF scored was the empty netter...no questions about that. Even the TRF fans around me were surprised the TRF goals counted, especially the second one.

The disappointing thing to me was Warroad's reliance on Roth. Several times I saw Warroad forwards give up good looks only to dish a pass off to a double or triple covered Roth and then he got pounded and turned it over. Warroad seemed to have no confidence in themselves. They seemed like a better team when Roth and Jaycox were out, they played as a team but in this game the team seemed to want to ride Roth.
Nobody, other than home delivery, has been born in Warroad since the late 1960's. Certainly not anyone born in the 90's. His family may have lived there, I don't know, but he wasn't born there. 8)
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

EGF showed that they are not what they were last year. a 3-2 win over DL does not exactly strike fear in the Prowlers. With that said, the Green Wave still had a very impressive season, beating Thief twice and outplaying them both times. I believe EGF will defend their title by beating TRF in a classic 3-2 double OT thriller.
frozenponds

Re: Section 8A Final - (#2) TRF vs (#1) East Grand Forks

Post by frozenponds »

[quote="RRubberbeeskit"]
Looks like Detroit Lakes took EGF. Down to the wire in a closely contested 3-2 EGF WIN. Shots were even 39-39.
I am not so sure EGF is close to the team they were last season however I am sure DL was not given near the credit they deserved throughout the year. They were solid and kudos to them for the effort against the Defending State A Champs.
I smell an upset comming in the 8A title game.[/quote]
Agree, Palmiscno did give them credit however, heading south to DL to scout the Little Falls game. The DL reg season 6-0 win over KCC followed by a EGF 3-1 win over KCC probably factored in to the visit and potential semi-final matchup. Good coaching.
frozenponds

Post by frozenponds »

[quote="curtiscurve"]EGF showed that they are not what they were last year. a 3-2 win over DL does not exactly strike fear in the Prowlers. With that said, the Green Wave still had a very impressive season, beating Thief twice and outplaying them both times. I believe EGF will defend their title by beating TRF in a classic 3-2 double OT thriller.[/quote]
Exactly, the Prowlers were glad DL did not win. DL put 18 shots on EGF in the first period alone, 1 more than TRF did in three periods in their last meeting. TRF wanted EGF to win, at least according to the rumor mill from someone who said someone said. :wink:
ted2you

TRF

Post by ted2you »

Really TRF wanted to play EGF in the final? That hasn't worked out to well for many teams the last few years. Boy is EGF managed to fly under the radar....

I'm wondering if Hermantown really would like to play them in the state tournament? Just my guess, there isn't a team in the state that would mind EGF losing to TRF. (other than EGF) :)
12thgraders

Post by 12thgraders »

Hermantown is in and probably the overall #1 seed for state. New Prague and New Ulm are in and I expect both to be draw teams. Thank God New Ulm eliminated the red plague.

Tonight we have 4 more teams looking to punch their tickets for St. Paul:
Section 2: Delano vs Breck
Section 5: Chisago Lakes vs Spring Lake Park
Section 6: St Cloud Apollo vs St Cloud Cathedral

And the marquis matchup of the night, Thief River Falls vs East Grand Forks!

Who is heading to Warroad to watch this one?
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

EGF not the same team they were last year. They are beatable!! Saw them twice this year and both games they looked vulnerable defensively.
ted2you

EGF

Post by ted2you »

Yes they are more vulnerable defensively. They lost 4 d'men that could all play college hockey. That said, they have a goal against average of 1.7 or 40 goals in 24 games. TRF's has scored 2 and had 35 shots against them in 102 minutes.

EGF isn't as good as last year. I think there offense has suffered helping out on defense, but to say they look "vulnerable" is a matter of degree's. I think EGF wins tonight and earn a #3 seed at state.

I would guess it would be
1. Hermantown
2. Mahtomedi
3. EGF
4. Breck
5. New Prague
6. St. Cloud: Apollo or Cathedral
7. New Ulm
8. Spring Lake Park
No matter what would happen that would make one of the better final 4 teams in A in my memory.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

3-1 TRF after two periods. East Grand better pick it up!
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

warriors41 wrote:3-1 TRF after two periods. East Grand better pick it up!
3-2 TRF 8:30
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

RRubberbeeskit wrote:
3-3 1:50
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

RRubberbeeskit wrote:
RRubberbeeskit wrote:
3-3 1:50
EGF headed back to the X after a 4-3 OT win.