6AA Final: Eden Prairie vs. Minnetonka

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Skippers
68%
Eagles
32%

Total votes: 44

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:02 am

hermantown2000 wrote:Just watched a video that was taken after the game winning goal. Minnetonka looked pretty stunned (the one player near the goalie on the ground on his knees dejectedly says it all). The Skippers were probably thinking with the three EP players out that they were going to breeze through this game. Even I did not like EPs chances in this game.After the ot goal Tonka was like"What in the world just happen?". As far as EP goes talk about resilience, guts and determination.
I wouldn't read too much into it. It's a pretty common reaction for a senior losing his last HS game in OT in a section final.

It was a fantastic game, and more than made up for the dud in the opener. Plenty of chances both ways, great defense and goaltending, and a handful of fluky chances that very nearly ended it in stunning fashion. That weird carom that ended up behind Durocher with 2:00 to go in the 3rd must have come within centimeters of ending it.

Tonka was a fun group to watch. No real stars at this point, but they were nice and deep, really took care of business in their own end, and once they started finding those stretch passes in the 2nd period, they became dangerous. Those long passes may have been part of their downfall, though--by OT, with fatigue setting in, they were missing on a lot of them for icings. You can't give EP's top unit that much free time in your own zone and expect to get away with it.

I know Lee Smith isn't universally adored, but give him this: when they have the talent, they deliver. Every time they've been the top seed in 6AA in recent memory, they've won. That's not easy. They're the first 6AA team to repeat since Edina did it in the late 90s. EP always seems to get the most out of their stars, and Mittelstadt gave them that tonight. Unlike Tonka, they gambled and shortened an already thin bench late, and it paid off. Credit to Boldenow too, who played very well after being pressed into an emergency top 4 D role.

Congrats to Tonka on a fine season. Unless STA or LVN go down, I assume we'll see the Eagles in the nightcap at the X next Thursday. They may not have won many fans after the incident in the Benilde game, but it does make for a pretty juicy storyline...

buttonupyrovercoat

Post by buttonupyrovercoat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:19 am

Bayside Tigers wrote:How you guys like the weird bounce off the Tonka dump when Dorucher skated behind the net, but decided not to play & instead skated back to his crease. Little did he know the puck bounced & came with him. And getting back into position he nearly kicked it in, clueless as to where it was. The arena erupted, as you could imagine. This was in the 3rd period with the game tied no less. I hope he let the defender who saved the puck from going in kiss his girlfriend, it's the least he could do.

If Dorucher was truly in the wrong in the Benilde fisticuffs scandal, the Hockey Gods would have made him to kick that puck into the net. Instead, they reward him for his grit & toughness. I agree.

Awesome.
That wasn't the gods, that was the ref blowing the whistle as the puck sat uncovered, 4 inches from the goal line, with Dorucher standing and looking around for it. A brutal blown call.

Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:42 am

The Hockey God sent ref, what are you talking about.

I was too high up (no stoner jokes) to see that close, but I don't think any Skippers were threatening to knock that in. The goalie & defender had it under control & a whistle was warranted. It must've at least been under his skates, right?

buttonupyrovercoat

Post by buttonupyrovercoat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:48 am

No Skippers on top of it, but I was sitting in that corner and the puck was totally uncovered, with the goaltender and defenseman standing and looking for it. No way that whistle should have been blown, but the ref was on the far side of the net and had no idea where the puck was himself.

Just Checking

Post by Just Checking » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:19 am

buttonupyrovercoat wrote:No Skippers on top of it, but I was sitting in that corner and the puck was totally uncovered, with the goaltender and defenseman standing and looking for it. No way that whistle should have been blown, but the ref was on the far side of the net and had no idea where the puck was himself.
Correct.

silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:59 am

Just Checking wrote:
buttonupyrovercoat wrote:No Skippers on top of it, but I was sitting in that corner and the puck was totally uncovered, with the goaltender and defenseman standing and looking for it. No way that whistle should have been blown, but the ref was on the far side of the net and had no idea where the puck was himself.
Correct.
Didn't the D man play the puck as it laid on/near/inside the line ? looked like he saw it when goalie didn't and put the puck under the standing goalie to the left side of the net, play started on the right side if your looking at the goalie.

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:08 am

This section was amazing. I think all games but one were decided by 1 goal.

GolfGuy7900

Post by GolfGuy7900 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:09 am

Highlights of this game anywhere?

icyblades77

Post by icyblades77 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:39 am

GolfGuy7900 wrote:Highlights of this game anywhere?
http://kstp.com/sports/stories/S3717468.shtml

Here you go!

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:08 pm

icyblades77 wrote:
GolfGuy7900 wrote:Highlights of this game anywhere?
http://kstp.com/sports/stories/S3717468.shtml

Here you go!
Those were great, thanks for posting!