4AA Final: Stillwater vs. Hill-Murray

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

4AA Champions ?

Stillwater Ponies
28%
Hill-Murray Pioneers
72%

Total votes: 39

stpaul

4AA Final: Stillwater vs. Hill-Murray

Post by stpaul »

The Hill-Murray Pioneers face its true top rival, the Stillwater Ponies, Friday at Aldrich Arena for a trip to State. Sadly we have to declare the rivalry with White Bear to be dead. 1 WBL victory in 20 matches and now they don't show up for for section finals any more.
WBLHockeyfan04

Re: 4AA Final: Stillwater vs. Hill-Murray

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

stpaul wrote:The Hill-Murray Pioneers face its true top rival, the Stillwater Ponies, Friday at Aldrich Arena for a trip to State. Sadly we have to declare the rivalry with White Bear to be dead. 1 WBL victory in 20 matches and now they don't show up for for section finals any more.
Sad, but true. Just because I want to see the best possible hockey at the X I'm going to say Hill wins 3-1. I don't think I could stomach watching Stillwater lose by 6 or 7 goals in the state tournament.

White Bear Nation is dead until changes are made. The talent pool hasn't been what is has been in the past, but he really hasn't accomplished anything with the good teams he's had besides one good run in 2011. Where his senior loaded team willed itself to state. Now the last two years with arguably top ten teams he can't even get his team to a section final!?

Back to this game. I know coach Lechner will have his kids prepared for whatever Stillwater throws at them. He won't over play his top lines to the point where they have no legs left for the 3rd period. Oh, and I know his teams can clamp down with a 2-0 lead, and not just sit on their heels and watch another team take it away.
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:
stpaul wrote:The Hill-Murray Pioneers face its true top rival, the Stillwater Ponies, Friday at Aldrich Arena for a trip to State. Sadly we have to declare the rivalry with White Bear to be dead. 1 WBL victory in 20 matches and now they don't show up for for section finals any more.
Sad, but true. Just because I want to see the best possible hockey at the X I'm going to say Hill wins 3-1. I don't think I could stomach watching Stillwater lose by 6 or 7 goals in the state tournament.

White Bear Nation is dead until changes are made. The talent pool hasn't been what is has been in the past, but he really hasn't accomplished anything with the good teams he's had besides one good run in 2011. Where his senior loaded team willed itself to state. Now the last two years with arguably top ten teams he can't even get his team to a section final!?

Back to this game. I know coach Lechner will have his kids prepared for whatever Stillwater throws at them. He won't over play his top lines to the point where they have no legs left for the 3rd period. Oh, and I know his teams can clamp down with a 2-0 lead, and not just sit on their heels and watch another team take it away.
I think Hill will win comfortably, because of the reasons above. Guessing 4-1. The difference is coaching.

I know opinions are varied on old Billy Butters, but man, he sure had the ability to motivate/prepare a team for a big game. Sager just seems to have landed a coaching job where the talent pool is enough he looks successful without any coaching. Sad day for a former bear.
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

meridian90 wrote:
WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:

I think Hill will win comfortably, because of the reasons above. Guessing 4-1. The difference is coaching.

I know opinions are varied on old Billy Butters, but man, he sure had the ability to motivate/prepare a team for a big game. Sager just seems to have landed a coaching job where the talent pool is enough he looks successful without any coaching. Sad day for a former bear.

I think the debacle against Johnson a few years back sums up how he does coaching in pressure situations.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I guess it was a little less shocking this season since it had happened before and Stilly gave the Bears an OT game the second time around, but I also think the talent gap was bigger this season, and unlike last year, the Bears were a genuine threat to do some damage in later rounds. That's tough one.

As for the section final, I assume Hill will know better than to take Stillwater lightly after last year. I'd think they'll attack a bit more aggressively this time around. Still, the Ponies do have momentum and recent history on their side, so it's not totally out of the question...
mnhockey47

Post by mnhockey47 »

It will be interesting what Hill decides to do for a goalie. I am assuming it will be sophomore Jake Begley. Which may be interesting to see if he is a little shaky. I'm predicting whoever gets the first goal will win the game. 3-1 Hill.
stpaul

HM

Post by stpaul »

mnhockey47 wrote:It will be interesting what Hill decides to do for a goalie. I am assuming it will be sophomore Jake Begley. Which may be interesting to see if he is a little shaky. I'm predicting whoever gets the first goal will win the game. 3-1 Hill.
Begley is the goalie. He has been in goal 7 of the last 8 games. Wendlandt was great on hockey day against STA, but had a couple of bad outings before that against Edina and after that against Mahtomedi. Begley's strong game against WBL on Jan. 31 finished the competition.
hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey »

serious tight and nervous 2-1 final hill

Stillwater coaches and players outplayed #1 ranked hill in last years section final that was no fluke shots were even and play was slight edge Stillwater.

and this hill team is Way down from last year. this team cant score forwards just not there, and DEF is great in getting out of the zone but they still give up tons of shots on net and scoring chances cause forwarrds are bad on DEF compared to past years. soph goalie is SOLID... .they HILL have one good win all year on an outdoor sheet of ice vs St Thomas...no other really special wins .

this one super super tight...
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:serious tight and nervous 2-1 final hill

Stillwater coaches and players outplayed #1 ranked hill in last years section final that was no fluke shots were even and play was slight edge Stillwater.

and this hill team is Way down from last year. this team cant score forwards just not there, and DEF is great in getting out of the zone but they still give up tons of shots on net and scoring chances cause forwarrds are bad on DEF compared to past years. soph goalie is SOLID... .they HILL have one good win all year on an outdoor sheet of ice vs St Thomas...no other really special wins .

this one super super tight...

I agree with some of this, but last years Stillwater team was also better than the current one. I think Stillwater will have tough time scoring in this game. Hill Murray may not have the top end forwards that we're used to seeing, but they do have some rock solid defensemen and are getting very good goaltending right now. If Stillwater can jump on them early and capture the lead they may be able to steal this one, but I just don't see the Cinderella story happening again. Nor do I want to see them at State for my own selfish reasons. Hill 3-1 or 4-1 sounds about right.
GreekChurch

Post by GreekChurch »

[quote="WBLHockeyfan04"][quote="hockeyhockeyhockey"]serious tight and nervous 2-1 final hill

The better question might be - who has Stillwater beat this year?
CCCP

Post by CCCP »

Hill wins 3-1 in this one.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

Planning to be at Aldrich tonight. Tickets still available? When do they start selling today?
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:Planning to be at Aldrich tonight. Tickets still available? When do they start selling today?
Tickets on sale at 3PM, if they didn't sell out yesterday. (Not trying to cause panic, just no clue how many are left.) Max purchase 6 tix. Doors open at 6.
East Side Pioneer Guy

No, it isn't a fluke when one team doesn't even show up. No sour grapes here, WB and Hill were both in the same boat as far as not deserving to go to the X last year. Both were superior to Stillwater, who played as well as they could and still just managed to sneak by two teams that played uninspired hockey.

It has become characteristic of Hill in recent years to not come out flying in big games. A bit too emotionally controlled and business like for me. Emotion plays a roll in sports, and it can get out hand. But setting the tone early is important. They came out flying against Mounds View Tuesday, and they need to do that today.
hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:

No, it isn't a fluke when one team doesn't even show up. No sour grapes here, WB and Hill were both in the same boat as far as not deserving to go to the X last year. Both were superior to Stillwater, who played as well as they could and still just managed to sneak by two teams that played uninspired hockey.

It has become characteristic of Hill in recent years to not come out flying in big games. A bit too emotionally controlled and business like for me. Emotion plays a roll in sports, and it can get out hand. But setting the tone early is important. They came out flying against Mounds View Tuesday, and they need to do that today.

ahhh ummmm Hill scored first right away came out great... it was the FINISH they did not have at all cause of very sound inspired play by Stillwater. no way to spin it it was not a fluke.

and in the semis stillwater DOMINATED white bear they were a better team that time of the year easily... bears lucky to have had a shot in OT at all...

i really expect a tight one tonight and super low scoring
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

My prediction:
HM 3
Stillwater 2
OT

I learned a lesson after my loud mouth baffoonery from last year. Wouldn't surprise me to see Stillwater win this game. For whatever reason, HM seems not to play well in section games, even when favored (often heavily favored):

2008 section final HM 2 WB 1
2009 section semis OT win over WB, double OT win over Stillwater in section finals
2010 easy wins thru sections on way to State
2011 2 OT loss to WB in section final
2012 HM 3 Roseville 2 section final
2013 HM 1 WB 0 section final
2014 2-1 loss to Stillwater in section final

Doesn't seem to be stage fright or nerves. When they do get to State after sneaking thru sections they tend to play very well. Usually more physical that their opponent, crisper outlet passing, etc. Good luck to the Pioneers tonight.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

It's there a video stream tonight? Does anyone know why there have been no online streaming this year? I live out of state and the video streams were great for a guy like me who enjoys watching hockey and still tries to follow along from afar. I really wish they didn't take the video feeds away.
hockeymannorth

Post by hockeymannorth »

kpryan88 wrote:It's there a video stream tonight? Does anyone know why there have been no online streaming this year? I live out of state and the video streams were great for a guy like me who enjoys watching hockey and still tries to follow along from afar. I really wish they didn't take the video feeds away.
Hill 1 still 0
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

kpryan88 wrote:It's there a video stream tonight? Does anyone know why there have been no online streaming this year? I live out of state and the video streams were great for a guy like me who enjoys watching hockey and still tries to follow along from afar. I really wish they didn't take the video feeds away.
I belive Chanell 45 has the rights to the games and only audio is available. They cut off the streaming due to state wrestling.
GreekChurch

Post by GreekChurch »

2 - 0 Hill after two.
GreekChurch

Post by GreekChurch »

3 - 0 Hill 6min left. They have controlled this game
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

No surprise here. WBL blew the chance to make this a competitive section final. Hill wins 4-0
stpaul

HM

Post by stpaul »

Solid game by the Pioneers tonight. Congratulations to Coaches Lechner, Schafhauser & Ciro and the team. 27 State Tournaments in 41 years at Hill-Murray. A great hockey history continues.
East Side Pioneer Guy

The record on last night's attendance needs to be corrected. It was announced as 3,273, and that that was 2nd only to girls state tournament crowd.

But if you were at the 1981 or 1982 HM vs.N St Paul section semifinals, or the 1983 HM vs. Stillwater section semifinal, you know those games were over 4,000. Either the fire marshal was a rabid (and understanding) hockey fan or the games were completely off his radar. The stairs between sections were filled with fans sitting there. The corners were filled with fans standing there. Even at the time I couldn't believe they sold that many tickets. It was as intense an atmosphere as I ever experienced. Great games played full out from whistle to whistle.

After 1983, the semis were moved to the Coliseum. The first few years, the semis were played at 4:00 and 8:00, with the building cleared between. It was single class hockey, and the height of the high school hockey in Minnesota.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Only 1 page of posts for a section final... ouch. :oops: