State AA seeding prediction

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

State AA seeding prediction

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:30 am

If Hill iwns
1 LN
2 Edina
3 STA
4/5 EP - Hill or the other way
6 7 8
Bemidji, Blaine, Duluth East

If Stillwater wins
1 LN
2 Edina
3 STA
4 EP
5 Bemidji
6 7 8
Stillwater, Blaine, Duluth East

As it might be, based on LN Edina and STA voting...
thought is those three do not want to face Bemidji in the first round because they know they have a good team and they know very little else about them...
1 LN
2 Edina
3 STA
4 EP
5 Bemidji

6 7 8
Blaine, Duluth East, Hill or Stillwater.

InYourFace09

Re: State AA seeding prediction

Post by InYourFace09 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:35 am

elliott70 wrote:If Hill iwns
1 LN
2 Edina
3 STA
6 7 8

If Stillwater wins
1 LN
2 Edina
3 STA
4 EP
5 Bemidji
6 7 8

thought is those three do not want to face Bemidji in the first round because they know they have a good team and they know very little else about them...
1 LN
2 Edina
3 STA
4 EP
5 Bemidji

6 7 8
If for some reason Stillwater wins, you would give the edge to your Jacks to get the 5 seed over Blaine? I see that hard to believe the coaches would actually vote that way and risk having to play Blaine in the quarters.

But maybe you are right that the coaches would rather not see the Jacks right away and take their chances.

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:48 am

1-Lakeville North
2-Edina
3-St. Thomas Academy
4-Blaine
5-Eden Prairie

Blaine has wins over EP & Hill-Murray plus a better overall record.
Eden Prairie has a win over Hill-Murray, plus the 6AA winner will always get some added credibility, justified or not.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:48 am

InYourFace09 wrote:
1 LN
2 Edina
3 STA
6 7 8

If Stillwater wins
1 LN
2 Edina
3 STA
4 EP
5 Bemidji
6 7 8

1 LN
2 Edina
3 STA
4 EP
5 Bemidji

6 7 8
If for some reason Stillwater wins, you would give the edge to your Jacks to get the 5 seed over Blaine? I see that hard to believe the coaches would actually vote that way and risk having to play Blaine in the quarters.

But maybe you are right that the coaches would rather not see the Jacks right away and take their chances.
Blaine lost to Roseau...
Bemidji beat them twice, the second time with ease...
Blaine lost to EGF
Bemidji split (second game with a loss for Bemidji, they were short four players)
That is all I have to go on....
From their records I (if I were a coach voting) would think Bemidji to be better.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:56 am

The Metro coaches will not give Bemidji any respect in seeding. They might have needed to run down and beat a metro school.

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:10 am

elliott70 wrote:
InYourFace09 wrote:
1 LN
2 Edina
3 STA
6 7 8

If Stillwater wins
1 LN
2 Edina
3 STA
4 EP
5 Bemidji
6 7 8

1 LN
2 Edina
3 STA
4 EP
5 Bemidji

6 7 8

Blaine lost to Roseau...
Bemidji beat them twice, the second time with ease...
Blaine lost to EGF
Bemidji split (second game with a loss for Bemidji, they were short four players)
That is all I have to go on....
From their records I (if I were a coach voting) would think Bemidji to be better.
Blaine lost to Roseau first game of the year... doesn't mean much now come coaches voting. Eden Prairie will be seeded higher than the Jacks for coming out of 6AA.

Basically you are saying that Bemidji should be rated above Blaine. I dont think the coaches will vote in that favor at this point.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:27 am

I don't see them voting Bemidji there either, but

a bird in hand theory...

a known commodity versus a surprise.

They know Moorhead competed well (minus the LN game) against the metro competition...
Bemidji beat Moorhead (3 times) so they have to assume they are a decent team.
If I am LN, Edina and STA perhaps I would like to see them play a game and then, if it happens, play them in the semis.

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:31 am

Ok Elliott, who do you want Bemidji to play in the quarters?

You are conceding the fact that if Hill Murray makes it they will get 4/5 along with EP correct?

But if Stillwater wins, then the door is open for the 5th spot. Would you rather play EP in the 4/5 matchup or take on one of the top dogs?

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:33 am

Interesting theory: would you rather play the unknown quantity in Bemidji, with the better record & resume, or Duluth East, the known quantity with a worse record and someone the teams have played before, but still have some credibility due to Randolph?

At the same time, I'm guessing LN & Edina don't fear anyone. I wouldn't be surprised if Edina actually had someone up in TRF watching the 8 championship.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:41 am

InYourFace09 wrote:Ok Elliott, who do you want Bemidji to play in the quarters?

You are conceding the fact that if Hill Murray makes it they will get 4/5 along with EP correct?

But if Stillwater wins, then the door is open for the 5th spot. Would you rather play EP in the 4/5 matchup or take on one of the top dogs?
Personally I would like to play LN
Second choice STA.
Playing EP would be fine.
I would not want to play Edina in the first round.

Being in the 4 or 5 spot would be ideal, and it may be deserved, but without the coaches knowing much about a team the votes probably will not be there unless the coaches are thinking they do not want Bemidji in the first round.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:43 am

Doc Holliday wrote:Interesting theory: would you rather play the unknown quantity in Bemidji, with the better record & resume, or Duluth East, the known quantity with a worse record and someone the teams have played before, but still have some credibility due to Randolph?

At the same time, I'm guessing LN & Edina don't fear anyone. I wouldn't be surprised if Edina actually had someone up in TRF watching the 8 championship.
Didn't see anyone I recognized but there was a nice crowd.

nahc

Post by nahc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:15 am

Elliott I would personally like to see LN play Bemidji too!!! Would be nice to also include Bemidji on their long list of teams they have beaten this year and couldn't think of a better venue than the state quarterfinals!!!!! A lot of the North players have been here before....... THAT makes a huge difference......... plus North is just a better team.......

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:16 am

I feel bad for whoever gets Bemidji thats all I have to say. Blaine is not better then them at all. Also an advantage is that no one else in this tourney has any idea about what they are in for with Bemidji. The Jacks have beat teams that have done very well in the cities. I'm excited for a first round upset.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:19 am

nahc wrote:Elliott I would personally like to see LN play Bemidji too!!! Would be nice to also include Bemidji on their long list of teams they have beaten this year and couldn't think of a better venue than the state quarterfinals!!!!! A lot of the North players have been here before....... THAT makes a huge difference......... plus North is just a better team.......
I understand that. But like 1980 and the Russians, perhaps not ready for some hungry northern boys.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:25 am

elliott70 wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:Interesting theory: would you rather play the unknown quantity in Bemidji, with the better record & resume, or Duluth East, the known quantity with a worse record and someone the teams have played before, but still have some credibility due to Randolph?

VERY HAPPY to see Bemidji return to the State Tourney! That said, any thought of then getting a top 5 seed is pure fantasy. Blaine has 16 victories and 1 tie their last 17 games and have wins over EP & DE, both State tourney qualifiers plus wins over ER, HM, BSM...there is zero chance Bemidji will be seeded over Blaine.

mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:36 am

Bemidji will surprise, if not seeded, they will give someone a run for their money. Defense can make all the difference with this squad, something those metro teams haven't necessarily seen a whole lot this season.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:44 am

1. LVN
2. Edina
3. STAA
4/5 HM/Blaine in some order

Nobody is going to be an easy out, although if I had to rank teams in the order I'd want to play them it would be:
1. East
2. Bemidji
3. EP
Last edited by thestickler07 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:44 am

mn miracle man wrote:Bemidji will surprise, if not seeded, they will give someone a run for their money. Defense can make all the difference with this squad, something those metro teams haven't necessarily seen a whole lot this season.
Agree 100% I was at the game in TRF and you can tell they have tottally bought into taking pride on the defensive end. The crowd was almost cheering louder for a blocked shot then they did for a scoring chance, which really fueled the team. It was like watching the Gophers playing Union last year, almost half the shots got blocked.

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:49 am

IGotDibs wrote:It was like watching the Gophers playing Union last year, almost half the shots got blocked.
There were 11 goals scored in the game. :D
Last edited by Doc Holliday on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windmill31

Post by Windmill31 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:49 am

Taking a little focus off bemidji for a second, is there anyway that if Hill wins tonight, they get seeded above STA? LPH had them ranked higher after the season ended and I believe they had a harder schedule this year so record shouldn't weigh in too much. Thoughts?
Last edited by Windmill31 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:50 am

hockey59 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

VERY HAPPY to see Bemidji return to the State Tourney! That said, any thought of then getting a top 5 seed is pure fantasy. Blaine has 16 victories and 1 tie their last 17 games and have wins over EP & DE, both State tourney qualifiers plus wins over ER, HM, BSM...there is zero chance Bemidji will be seeded over Blaine.
Every team has something significant.
It is the coaches perception of teams and their own conception of how they want the bracket set up that matters.
That is what I am trying to get a feel for...
what will Giles do, Randolph, Eigner, Carroll, Smith, Vanelli, Lechner or ??? sorry don't know the Stillwater coach.

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:51 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
IGotDibs wrote:It was like watching the Gophers playing Union last year, almost half the shots got blocked.
There were 11 goals scored in the game. :D
Yeah well the Gophers wern't blocking any shots and Union was and Union won, so they helped a little bit.

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:55 am

Windmill31 wrote:Taking a little focus off bemidji for a second, is there anyway that if Hill wins tonight, they get seeded above STA? LPH had them ranked higher after the season ended and I believe they had a harder schedule this year so record shouldn't weigh in too much. Thoughts?
Personally, I don't think so.

-STA has a better record
-1-1 record against each other, but STA had the more recent win
-HM similar record to EP, but EP with a head to head win. Plus, I wouldn't knock Hill's schedule, but I do think EP's is stronger.

That said, I wouldn't want to play them in the quarterfinals....

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:03 am

My guess is Bemidji vs Hill_Murray in the quarters...

Bemidji will blow them out of the rink 6-1.

jonandrews13

Post by jonandrews13 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:16 am

Man, all this Bemidji talk has turned me into a believer. Hope they live up to the hype and have a great tournament showing. Looks like a very solid field of teams this year. Can't wait!
I need ER vs BJ from 2002 State Quarterfinals. PM me.