Spring Lake Park

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

nahc

Post by nahc »

Are you kidding me? Spring Lake Park makes the tourney for the first time in school history and there are haters on this forum? This is what sports is all about...... a team never making the tourney now gets their shot. The whole experience is one that the kids, team, and town will remember for a lifetime!!!!!!! Good luck Spring Lake Park!!! Enjoy the moment!!!! Have a great time at the banquet!! Hit McGoverns!!!!!!!!
rainier

Post by rainier »

urban iceman wrote:
GoaliesAreTheBest33 wrote:Spring Lake Park making the torunament shows a desperate need for a new format for the A tournament. A team that could not win their half of the NWSC does not deserve this opportunity. It's really a shame what the A tournament has turned into. 13-11-1 team making the tourney...whats the over/under in their game? 10 goals? Come on, this is a joke...
Then what you do is stop players from getting around the rules so easily and keep them in their school of origin. When these so-called "Non Deserving" schools get to the X, it's THE greatest SCREW YOU to those who left those schools!! Been through it, and still enjoy rubbing it in their faces :P
Agreed. Just getting to the tourney can help a program grow, even if they do go 0-2. Always good to see a new team get to experience the tourney!
BluehawkHockey

Post by BluehawkHockey »

rainier wrote:
urban iceman wrote:
GoaliesAreTheBest33 wrote:Spring Lake Park making the torunament shows a desperate need for a new format for the A tournament. A team that could not win their half of the NWSC does not deserve this opportunity. It's really a shame what the A tournament has turned into. 13-11-1 team making the tourney...whats the over/under in their game? 10 goals? Come on, this is a joke...
Then what you do is stop players from getting around the rules so easily and keep them in their school of origin. When these so-called "Non Deserving" schools get to the X, it's THE greatest SCREW YOU to those who left those schools!! Been through it, and still enjoy rubbing it in their faces :P
Agreed. Just getting to the tourney can help a program grow, even if they do go 0-2. Always good to see a new team get to experience the tourney!
These kids, their coach and their school should be proud of making it to the X. Maybe they will go 0-2, doesn't change that it is a great accomplishment for them. Maybe they surprise everyone and go 3-0 or 2-1 or 1-2, they still deserve to be there and to enjoy it. They have worked just as hard as all the other teams and players to get there.

The youth program has a group of Bantams that have been in the top 25 for the last couple years and should definitely help in the next few years. Maybe they will get back to the X in a stronger section next year. Will that shut GoaliesAreTheBest33 up, probably not. Haters got to hate.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Can't believe the lack of class by some.

Take away the private school sandbaggers in class A and how many are better than SLP? They're where they should be! Should be all about the smaller town/city schools. There's more excitement in 5A than there ever has been and programs are working harder to get better. Arenas are now packed when they never used to be for regular season section rival games and section games. There's new found life other than handing it to Cathedral or the the AA magnet of Hermantown. Best move for growth of hockey in this area of the state that's ever been made. Hats off to the High School League or whoever was responsible!

SLP had a tough opening draw, but they'll surprise some folks..
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

MrBoDangles wrote:Can't believe the lack of class by some.

Take away the private school sandbaggers in class A and how many are better than SLP? They're where they should be! Should be all about the smaller town/city schools. There's more excitement in 5A than there ever has been and programs are working harder to get better. Arenas are now packed when they never used to be for regular season section rival games and section games. There's new found life other than handing it to Cathedral or the the AA magnet of Hermantown. Best move for growth of hockey in this area of the state that's ever been made. Hats off to the High School League or whoever was responsible!

I find it funny that many people on the board have been calling for years for all of the privates and larger A schools to move up where they feel they belong in AA. Now that that is starting to happen in many places they complain about teams that aren't deserving making it out of sections. I think many people need to question whether they want the A tournament to be the true model of community based hockey or if they want a talented field that draws large attendance. I think it's difficult to achieve both of those.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

nahc wrote:Are you kidding me? Spring Lake Park makes the tourney for the first time in school history and there are haters on this forum? This is what sports is all about...... a team never making the tourney now gets their shot. The whole experience is one that the kids, team, and town will remember for a lifetime!!!!!!! Good luck Spring Lake Park!!! Enjoy the moment!!!! Have a great time at the banquet!! Hit McGoverns!!!!!!!!
I will be pulling for SLP to pull the big upset over Hemantown. Congrats to SLP for making it to state.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

hawkhockey wrote:

I find it funny that many people on the board have been calling for years for all of the privates and larger A schools to move up where they feel they belong in AA. Now that that is starting to happen in many places they complain about teams that aren't deserving making it out of sections. I think many people need to question whether they want the A tournament to be the true model of community based hockey or if they want a talented field that draws large attendance. I think it's difficult to achieve both of those.
You'll find my response on the trash talk thread on the HS forum
jonandrews13

Post by jonandrews13 »

Scheduling and their conference did them no favors this year as they had only 6 Class A games on their schedule and struggled to find consistency. The team has some talent, but obviously Hermantown is far superior.
I need ER vs BJ from 2002 State Quarterfinals. PM me.
doghockey

Post by doghockey »

GoaliesAreTheBest33 wrote:
doghockey wrote:
MNhocklover43 wrote:Yeah it must have been a difficult trip to the state tournament, easily the state's toughest section. What a joke
Uh, every year there is a weakest section in A and AA. Do you expect the winners of those sections to decline a berth in the tournament, or did you just want to let us know that you are miserable?
No, I want the MSHSL to come up with a format so that people actually attend the A games. Nobody wants to go watch a barely over .500 team lose by 25 at the X. Don't worry though SLP fan, you probably won't be the only team there that will prove how undeserving a birth you were given, New Ulm will probably be right there with you! :lol:
For some reason I don't think Spring Lake Park will lose by 25 so your fears should already be alleviated. And it is single A hockey - the place is rarely full regardless of the teams playing. FYI, you don't have to watch any of the games that might offend you.
doghockey

Post by doghockey »

nahc wrote:Are you kidding me? Spring Lake Park makes the tourney for the first time in school history and there are haters on this forum? This is what sports is all about...... a team never making the tourney now gets their shot. The whole experience is one that the kids, team, and town will remember for a lifetime!!!!!!! Good luck Spring Lake Park!!! Enjoy the moment!!!! Have a great time at the banquet!! Hit McGoverns!!!!!!!!
Thank you. It is the adults that whine about Spring Lake Park. And Hermantown. And St.Thomas Academy. And whatever evil slight they can conjure up over a game played by kids. And, ironically, you never hear the kids complain about any of it. They just enjoy the ride.
coco2

Post by coco2 »

Great program, great kids and great coach. Now let them play!
doghockey

Post by doghockey »

GoaliesAreTheBest33 wrote:
doghockey wrote:
MNhocklover43 wrote:Yeah it must have been a difficult trip to the state tournament, easily the state's toughest section. What a joke
Uh, every year there is a weakest section in A and AA. Do you expect the winners of those sections to decline a berth in the tournament, or did you just want to let us know that you are miserable?
No, I want the MSHSL to come up with a format so that people actually attend the A games. Nobody wants to go watch a barely over .500 team lose by 25 at the X. Don't worry though SLP fan, you probably won't be the only team there that will prove how undeserving a birth you were given, New Ulm will probably be right there with you! :lol:
There you go. Your amusing fears were unfounded. SLP did not lose even by 10 goals, let alone 25. Now don't you feel a bit like a drama queen?
defense

Post by defense »

hawkhockey wrote:

People have pretty much always complained that this team or that team does not deserve to be in the state TOURNEMENT because their section is weak. Usually it is fans of teams that did not make it to the state tournement. Nothing new here. I think it is great the way they do it. Big picture level it looks awesome. Example, when in history has southwest Minnesota cared about hockey ?? In the past five or so years is the answer. And as far as I am concerned, as long as the MSHSL keeps the thing based first on geography, and not based on getting new teams in , then they are doing it right. Now arguments could be made that later holds too much weight, but they are growing hockey.
Windmill31

Post by Windmill31 »

hawkhockey wrote:

I just want to point out that it is not that we (or I...) think the tourney is gutted with all the A teams that moved to AA...it is the 14 single A teams in the top twenty that didn't make it to state. Granted there are only 8 spots and upsets happen...but SLP didn't crack the top twenty while 7A had 4 teams under the top 15, 8A had 4 under the top twenty, 6A had 3 in the top ten (4 in 20) and 2A had 4 in the top 20. It just seems a little tilted...

That being said, I am all for Spring Lake Park in the tourney. It is exciting to see new faces and give the schools in the shadows some room to grow. I only wish I could see Chase Ellingson, Austin Long and Jacob Nystrom on a line together...

Good luck to SLP in the rest of the tourney, I hope they can squeeze out a win
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Windmill31 wrote:
hawkhockey wrote:

I just want to point out that it is not that we (or I...) think the tourney is gutted with all the A teams that moved to AA...it is the 14 single A teams in the top twenty that didn't make it to state. Granted there are only 8 spots and upsets happen...but SLP didn't crack the top twenty while 7A had 4 teams under the top 15, 8A had 4 under the top twenty, 6A had 3 in the top ten (4 in 20) and 2A had 4 in the top 20. It just seems a little tilted...

That being said, I am all for Spring Lake Park in the tourney. It is exciting to see new faces and give the schools in the shadows some room to grow. I only wish I could see Chase Ellingson, Austin Long and Jacob Nystrom on a line together...

Good luck to SLP in the rest of the tourney, I hope they can squeeze out a win
SLP played a very tough (check it on the hub) schedule and plenty in that top twenty would have those same results.

As for the game: It looked like their legs weren't operating until 20 seconds left in the second. They then woke up a bit, but was too far gone. The difference between a team that is in the championship every year and a first timer with zero jitters. I always like to see these new teams make it.

They should be more relaxed their next game..

You've shown some real class in your positive comments.