Spring Lake Park

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jonandrews13

Spring Lake Park

Post by jonandrews13 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:26 am

Just want to congratulate my alma mater for getting to the tournament for the first time in school history. Back when I played at Park in 2004 we were in the section of death with Benilde, Totino, Breck, Blake, and St. Louis Park. Never thought it would happen, but through section changes and realignments it has. I'm not expecting a huge run to a title, because I know they will be one of if not the weakest team there. However, this will be a great experience for the boys, coaches, and our school to have them there. Hopefully it's something they can build on and get better as a program. Wishing them all the best next week no matter what happens.
I need ER vs BJ from 2002 State Quarterfinals. PM me.

hshockeyfan53

Re: Spring Lake Park

Post by hshockeyfan53 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:39 am

jonandrews13 wrote:Just want to congratulate my alma mater for getting to the tournament for the first time in school history. Back when I played at Park in 2004 we were in the section of death with Benilde, Totino, Breck, Blake, and St. Louis Park. Never thought it would happen, but through section changes and realignments it has. I'm not expecting a huge run to a title, because I know they will be one of if not the weakest team there. However, this will be a great experience for the boys, coaches, and our school to have them there. Hopefully it's something they can build on and get better as a program. Wishing them all the best next week no matter what happens.
Congrats and good luck to your alma mater! It's something those boys will never forget I'm sure.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:51 am

Always nice to have new faces.

Congrats SLP.

Spring Lake Park, that is.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:58 am

Where is Spring Lake Park?

jonandrews13

Post by jonandrews13 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:01 pm

elliott70 wrote:Where is Spring Lake Park?
Next to Blaine. They share Fogarty Arena as a home rink. So this area is pretty excited with both teams going.
I need ER vs BJ from 2002 State Quarterfinals. PM me.

bemused

Post by bemused » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:06 pm

jonandrews13 wrote:
Next to Blaine. They share Fogarty Arena as a home rink. So this area is pretty excited with both teams going.
David Backes will be proud!

nahc

Post by nahc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:13 pm

CONGRATULATIONS Spring Lake Park!!!! ENJOY the ride!!! McGoverns....... having each one of your players introduced and the kids skating up to the camera and most saying hi to their Moms...!! NEVER gets old!! Some of the kids actually smile!!!!!!!!

12thgraders

Post by 12thgraders » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:08 pm

nahc wrote:CONGRATULATIONS Spring Lake Park!!!! ENJOY the ride!!! McGoverns....... having each one of your players introduced and the kids skating up to the camera and most saying hi to their Moms...!! NEVER gets old!! Some of the kids actually smile!!!!!!!!
Or take a digger!

Congratulations to Spring Lake Park! Enjoy the ride!

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:29 pm

Congrats from FL,we've never been there.YET!

MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:49 pm

Good to see them make it through. They had some good teams when Addison Deboer and Hafften (spelling?) were there, I think 05 or 06, but had a pretty tough section to get through. Decent teams in 08-10 too that I think included at least one 20-win season, though not an entirely difficult schedule. Always nice to see new teams get to experience the tourney.

UntouchableFlow

Post by UntouchableFlow » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:00 am

Most teams struggle with early departures/transfers, but Spring Lake Park could have potentially had a first line of Austen Long (CC commit), Chase Ellingson (Breck's leading scorer), and Jacob Nystrom (Senior with 28 goals). Not to mention defenseman Nick Heid who is playing in the WHL for Portland.

I went to the game half expecting Spring Lake Park to find a way to miss out on a trip to the X, after seeing the team underperform the past few seasons, but they played a great game. The first line power play unit is very creative and passes well.Their biggest question mark will be goaltending at the X, but I could see them pulling off an upset if they can get a morning game.

Congrats to SLP on their first, of hopefully many, trips to the X!

MNhocklover43

Post by MNhocklover43 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:14 pm

Yeah it must have been a difficult trip to the state tournament, easily the state's toughest section. What a joke

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:26 pm

MNhocklover43 wrote:Yeah it must have been a difficult trip to the state tournament, easily the state's toughest section. What a joke
Thanks for your enlighting comment.

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:52 pm

Suburb of Centennial. (Which is a suburb of Blaine).

Are we clear?

GoaliesAreTheBest33

Post by GoaliesAreTheBest33 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:24 pm

Spring Lake Park making the torunament shows a desperate need for a new format for the A tournament. A team that could not win their half of the NWSC does not deserve this opportunity. It's really a shame what the A tournament has turned into. 13-11-1 team making the tourney...whats the over/under in their game? 10 goals? Come on, this is a joke...

doghockey

Post by doghockey » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:29 pm

MNhocklover43 wrote:Yeah it must have been a difficult trip to the state tournament, easily the state's toughest section. What a joke
Uh, every year there is a weakest section in A and AA. Do you expect the winners of those sections to decline a berth in the tournament, or did you just want to let us know that you are miserable?

doghockey

Post by doghockey » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:33 pm

GoaliesAreTheBest33 wrote:Spring Lake Park making the torunament shows a desperate need for a new format for the A tournament. A team that could not win their half of the NWSC does not deserve this opportunity. It's really a shame what the A tournament has turned into. 13-11-1 team making the tourney...whats the over/under in their game? 10 goals? Come on, this is a joke...
Oh, lighten up. A couple of years ago Lakeville North got into the tourney with a record of 11-16-1 and a couple of years previous they also got in with a losing record And shockingly, the X did not implode and the tournament survives to this day. This stuff happens in sports. I think that it may be the reason that someone actually invented playoffs.

GoaliesAreTheBest33

Post by GoaliesAreTheBest33 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:34 pm

doghockey wrote:
Uh, every year there is a weakest section in A and AA. Do you expect the winners of those sections to decline a berth in the tournament, or did you just want to let us know that you are miserable?
No, I want the MSHSL to come up with a format so that people actually attend the A games. Nobody wants to go watch a barely over .500 team lose by 25 at the X. Don't worry though SLP fan, you probably won't be the only team there that will prove how undeserving a birth you were given, New Ulm will probably be right there with you! :lol:

GoaliesAreTheBest33

Post by GoaliesAreTheBest33 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:09 am

doghockey wrote:
GoaliesAreTheBest33 wrote:Spring Lake Park making the torunament shows a desperate need for a new format for the A tournament. A team that could not win their half of the NWSC does not deserve this opportunity. It's really a shame what the A tournament has turned into. 13-11-1 team making the tourney...whats the over/under in their game? 10 goals? Come on, this is a joke...
Oh, lighten up. A couple of years ago Lakeville North got into the tourney with a record of 11-16-1 and a couple of years previous they also got in with a losing record And shockingly, the X did not implode and the tournament survives to this day. This stuff happens in sports. I think that it may be the reason that someone actually invented playoffs.
Your point would be valid had they reached that point in the season through a state wide playoff bracket. However, with the section format, this is not the case. Yes, 1AA really did not ever produce a quality team for a long stretch there, and that is a direct result of the section format. I did not say the tournament would not survive, but there is a clear lack of attendance on Wednesday becasue usually two or three of the four games aren't worth watching! SLP and Htown will probably be one of those games, and a true state tournament in my mind, does not include a 13-11-1 team that can't even beat teams like TG who had < 10 wins on the season...

12thgraders

Post by 12thgraders » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:47 am

GoaliesAreTheBest33 wrote:
doghockey wrote:
Your point would be valid had they reached that point in the season through a state wide playoff bracket. However, with the section format, this is not the case. Yes, 1AA really did not ever produce a quality team for a long stretch there, and that is a direct result of the section format. I did not say the tournament would not survive, but there is a clear lack of attendance on Wednesday becasue usually two or three of the four games aren't worth watching! SLP and Htown will probably be one of those games, and a true state tournament in my mind, does not include a 13-11-1 team that can't even beat teams like TG who had < 10 wins on the season...
It is a statewide tournament.

To take the position of the Luverne fans defending their weak schedule, it is not the kids fault, they played the schedule that was given to them. Spring Lake Park is in Section 5, who did you want, Mora-Hinkley? Chisago? I was suprised the MSHSL moved Hermantown and Cathedral out of Section 5 two years ago making 6 and 7A more crowded with decent teams while completely lowering the bar in Section 5.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:02 am

Are you familiar with the concept of of a variety of regions (sections) of the state being represented in the STATE tourney? There is an attempt to ensure that various sections of the state are represented at State. Invariably with a playoff format, the best team of each section may not make it to State. Are you looking for a BCS style selection of the 8 best teams in single A, where a computer system is used to determine those 8 teams? The country was so thrilled with that type of system in college football. They earned the berth. You're right, it may be a huge blowout....ah well. They're going to happen. So are huge upsets that people talk about for years.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

fastncrash

Post by fastncrash » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:02 am

There's that phrase again... :evil:

12thgraders

Post by 12thgraders » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:15 am

What relevance do conferences have in MSHSL hockey anymore? Conference champions equal paper champions to me. The whole tournament system is based on sections, not conferences. There are several teams that are topics of conversation on here that seem more beholden to their conferences than their sections and thus do not play but 4 or 5 section games out of 25. I could care less what a team's record is in the Northwest Suburban Conference as most could care less about the Mariucci Conference or the Big 9, or the Granite Ridge. Did Morris Benson Area with the Southwest Conference? They should have AND cleaned up on all team and individual awards - THEY ARE THE ONLY TEAM IN THE CONFERENCE!

Conversation on conferences and conference records is irrelevant.

urban iceman

Post by urban iceman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:31 am

Then what you do is stop players from getting around the rules so easily and keep them in their school of origin. When these so-called "Non Deserving" schools get to the X, it's THE greatest SCREW YOU to those who left those schools!! Been through it, and still enjoy rubbing it in their faces :P

steelheader

Post by steelheader » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:43 am

And it looks like a Bantam A team going to state as well. Well done SLP