Does the North have an inferiority complex?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Goldyismoldy

Does the North have an inferiority complex?

Post by Goldyismoldy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:58 pm

The North is 'ALL NORTH', whether they're underdogs or not.

In the Cities, only Edina likes Edina. Everybody roots against them. Same for E.P., Hill, St. Thomas, Breck, etc. Why doesn't the rest of 7AA not HATE ON DE in the same manner?

The Citiots will be rooting for Bemidji the loudest this tourney, they will be the Roseau like 'darlings'.

It's interesting....

east hockey
Site Admin

Re: Does the North have an inferiority complex?

Post by east hockey » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Goldyismoldy wrote:The North is 'ALL NORTH', whether they're underdogs or not.

In the Cities, only Edina likes Edina. Everybody roots against them. Same for E.P., Hill, St. Thomas, Breck, etc. Why doesn't the rest of 7AA not HATE ON DE in the same manner?

The Citiots will be rooting for Bemidji the loudest this tourney, they will be the Roseau like 'darlings'.

It's interesting....
You ever live up here?

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:16 pm

It's interesting....
I'm in Cloquet, and I live and breath CEC Lumberjack hockey. For me, it's about respect, not hate. Yea we have our heated rivalry with Duluth East, Grand Rapids, Hermantown and every other northern squad. But, last night and throughout the tourny I will be pulling HArd for the "boys of the north" absolutely without question!!!!

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:32 pm

kniven wrote:
I'm in Cloquet, and I live and breath CEC Lumberjack hockey. For me, it's about respect, not hate. Yea we have our heated rivalry with Duluth East, Grand Rapids, Hermantown and every other northern squad. But, last night and throughout the tourny I will be pulling HArd for the "boys of the north" absolutely without question!!!!
Respect? Do you feel those #%$@ing Citiots don't respect you? The North has always had a 'us vs them' relationship with the cities teams. I don't know why, because the cities people love you guys more than the neighboring community.

Bemidji will be 'respected' with about 95% of the fans rooting for them, no matter who they play.

It's interesting...

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:40 pm

One word.

packerboy

defense

Post by defense » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:42 pm

It's interesting....
Everyone hates certain teams in their area, but come to state TOURNEMENT you want to see your kin do well. I am positive that a lot of section 7 people hat East hockey. But they would rather East win out than EP or Edina or any cities team. It's not really inferiority as much as pride.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:43 pm

Goldyismoldy wrote:
kniven wrote:
Respect? Do you feel those #%$@ing Citiots don't respect you? The North has always had a 'us vs them' relationship with the cities teams. I don't know why, because the cities people love you guys more than the neighboring community.

Bemidji will be 'respected' with about 95% of the fans rooting for them, no matter who they play.

It's interesting...
Whenever we're in the cities for hockey games, I definitely feel the respect by the fans, because I talk to many of them on road games. And Coach Esse is always talking with the head coach during the jv game. Minnesota high school hockey is just the very best. I love it!!

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:58 pm

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:One word.

packerboy
Too obvious.

Roseau has been to the tourney a kazillion times, yet every time they're the fan favorite. The cities fan favorite. They should hate you because of all your success, yet they love your hockey team in spite of the fact you hate theirs.

Explain that.

urban iceman

Post by urban iceman » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:06 pm

Goldyismoldy wrote:

packerboy
Too obvious.

Roseau has been to the tourney a kazillion times, yet every time they're the fan favorite. The cities fan favorite. They should hate you because of all your success, yet they love your hockey team in spite of the fact you hate theirs.

Explain that.
Hockey History!!!

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:08 pm

urban iceman wrote:
Goldyismoldy wrote:

packerboy
Too obvious.

Explain that.
Hockey History!!!
Edina kills that theory, and fast.

UpNorthMom

Post by UpNorthMom » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:11 pm

Roseau hates who? Not even. Maybe Warroad, but that's a different topic.

Let's just say there is a lot of community pride & tradition in our hockey program, just like in other towns up here.

And . . . GO JACKS!!!

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:19 pm

Goldyismoldy wrote:

packerboy
Too obvious.

Explain that.
I'll cheer for any City team that have fans buying me drinks at The Liffey.

Last year it was Centennial.

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:23 pm

UpNorthMom wrote:Roseau hates who? Not even. Maybe Warroad, but that's a different topic.

Let's just say there is a lot of community pride & tradition in our hockey program, just like in other towns up here.

And . . . GO JACKS!!!
I hear ya Mom. 18K are going to be yelling 'GO JACKS' at the X with you.

That's the dichotomy! City folk are proud of you as well. Weird eh?

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:26 pm

Classic David vs Goliath I guess. Most northern teams don't have the resources, finances, or numbers of most of the suburban teams and are the de facto underdogs.

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:28 pm

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
I'll cheer for any City team that have fans buying me drinks at The Liffey.

Last year it was Centennial.
Swing and a miss.

Strike one.

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:57 pm

warriors41 wrote:Classic David vs Goliath I guess. Most northern teams don't have the resources, finances, or numbers of most of the suburban teams and are the de facto underdogs.
East is a David? Moorhead? Please.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:12 pm

Goldyismoldy wrote:
warriors41 wrote:Classic David vs Goliath I guess. Most northern teams don't have the resources, finances, or numbers of most of the suburban teams and are the de facto underdogs.
East is a David? Moorhead? Please.
Those would be the two most notable exceptions but even they don have the support of most of the other teams in the tournament. East is in the tourny this year because of coaching, not talent. Moorhead doesn't have any championships I believe. The last time they reached the championship game was 2009, which wasn't a talented team besides Bitzer. So yeah, there are even years when those two communities would qualify as David's.

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:19 pm

The best way I can describe it is by the arenas. You walk into those old, Northern barns and you can just feel the history. Hibbing, Roseau, Warroad, Eveleth, Virginia, the old rink in Thief River. I know I'm missing some but i havent been too all of them. The old rink in Crookston is probably my favorite. When you hear the term barn, that is what I think of. That place is literally a Barn. After experiencing those rinks, you can't help but respect and cheer on the Northern teams. When I say you can actually feel the history, I mean that literally. You really can feel it.

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:24 pm

Well Goldy, could it be because smaller communities know each other better than the Metro communities?
Take Bemidji for example this year I know the majority of parents and kids, same with EGF. Also know a few from Duluth East and Hermantown and one from St. Thomas Academy.

When you have kids that play together for 6-8 years during summer and fall leauges you get to know the kids, the parents, so after time you really pull for them to do well when "your" team is out of it.

So good luck to all the Northern teams and Northern kids.

:)

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:50 pm

Froggy Richards wrote:The best way I can describe it is by the arenas. You walk into those old, Northern barns and you can just feel the history. Hibbing, Roseau, Warroad, Eveleth, Virginia, the old rink in Thief River. I know I'm missing some but i havent been too all of them. The old rink in Crookston is probably my favorite. When you hear the term barn, that is what I think of. That place is literally a Barn. After experiencing those rinks, you can't help but respect and cheer on the Northern teams. When I say you can actually feel the history, I mean that literally. You really can feel it.
Great response Froggy. I know what you mean. Believe it or not, Blake has one of those Classic Eveleth Hippodrome looks with a barrel shaped wooden roof. It's old and beautiful.

Potatohead9

Post by Potatohead9 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:59 pm

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:Well Goldy, could it be because smaller communities know each other better than the Metro communities?

Ogee I think you are close. Us Northern teams or "outstate" travel to games.....every game. Not by school bus but by charter and so do the parents. These teams put on thousands of miles over the season to play teams in their section. When we travel to the Excel we stay at hotels, eat at restaurants, sleep in different beds....ect. We don't have the luxury of going home and sleeping in our own beds and having a routine. As parents and fans of Outstate schools we stay at these same places and cheer for them as they enter the hotel as if they are our own. These are huge advantages for any team/player. So yes I will always route for any outstate team. Just like I will route for any Public school over a Private.
Go Jacks and Hounds.
Thats Mr. Potatohead to you!

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:00 pm

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:Well Goldy, could it be because smaller communities know each other better than the Metro communities?
Take Bemidji for example this year I know the majority of parents and kids, same with EGF. Also know a few from Duluth East and Hermantown and one from St. Thomas Academy.

When you have kids that play together for 6-8 years during summer and fall leauges you get to know the kids, the parents, so after time you really pull for them to do well when "your" team is out of it.

So how proud is Warroad, when Roseau raises another AA banner?

UpNorthMom

Post by UpNorthMom » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:12 pm

Now you're just pot-stirring. Roseau-Warroad rivalry is a whole separate deal.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:15 pm

UpNorthMom wrote:Now you're just pot-stirring. Roseau-Warroad rivalry is a whole separate deal.
The intent from the initial post.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:19 pm

Goldyismoldy wrote:

So how proud is Warroad, when Roseau raises another AA banner?
Very proud.